What are your (<--I fixed it) writing OCD's?

Writing.jpg.5f9880f5b70365e8860e7ee641970ea1.jpg

This is my notebook. When I can't type this is where I write everything down. As you can see I have a bit of a compulsive problem with making everything very even when I write. What are some OCD's for you guys when you write? (I also always write in my favorite style pens because pencils are tools created by the devil himself :) ) 

Edited by Pmsingtiger
I fixed it...
  • Like 5

My main OCD... I put in way too many commas. LOL

Aside from that, having a nice quiet place to write, little distraction, and some coffee or hot tea while I write.

I carry a notebook everytime I leave the house in case I need to jot something down, while I'm out.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

In terms of structure, when I type a story in a Word document, the longer paragraphs have to have be to similar in terms of length  Like if one paragraph is five lines long, the paragraphs following it have to be around five lines longer as well.  I like consistency.  Also, there has to be a variety of paragraphs with narration and one or two lines of dialogue in every page to make it appear organic, which contrasts greatly with my need for consistency LOL 

In terms of content, I always have to have something like a character's name match with something else.  For example, in my story Charming, there's Lucian and Lilith, Violet and Velvet, Cindi and Cheri, etc.  And this usually goes beyond names like in my story Hero Wanted.  There are terms that I use to describe the lore that always has an accompanying word, like Champion and Colossus, node and nook, HERO and HELA, etc.  Call me crazy, but that's just how I write 😋

Edited by Superpride
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

I don't seem to have these, at least none i'm aware of.  I just write my story, it's as long as it needs to be. Notes i make on the Keep app on my phone or on One Note on my laptop. Paper is fine if a poem needs writing down, pen or pencil i dont care.  Maybe the only thing that is close is that i like chapters to be at least 3000 words or more.

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

My main OCD... I put in way too many commas. LOL

Aside from that, having a nice quiet place to write, little distraction, and some coffee or hot tea while I write.

I carry a notebook everytime I leave the house in case I need to jot something down, while I'm out.

I might do that too. My computer tells me to stop using commas like “if you use one more comma I’m gonna take away that key privilege” thankfully I have a MacBook so it has to put up with me or I’ll take it to the Genius Bar. 😏

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I totally get it with the pencils. I cannot use them to write with. If I am forced to. For example, if I have to take a message over the phone and all I can find is a pencil. As soon as I finish the call I have to find a pen and write it out again in ink or even over the top of the pencil. I ALSO SHARE YOUR HABIT OF WRITING IN CAPS. Although I've noticed that you've strayed in places to upper and lowercase. Nice and neat though, you probably wouldn't be able to read mine!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

I feel like Notes has more story ideas, half plots, conversations and one-liners than I’ll ever actually put out. 

If I use a notebook, I must have a pen. It has to be a fine point pen at that. Not that 90% of the time I’m not trying to decipher what in the heck I actually wrote. 

But that’s not OCD really...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I can't write even a short story without having a detailed timeline, a huge character tree with drawn pictures and all important notes neatly stacked in a notepad document. The timeline & notes are so clear and concise, I dunno how it becomes such a hot mess when it's written lol 🤔

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

Not to mix up your and you're :lol: or their, there and they're. ;) 

No, seriously, I really hate spelling errors and wrong grammar. I read my chapters over and over, and I always have someone edit my stories. I get really :pissed:  with myself, if I overlook a mistake. But I'm grateful when readers point it out, so I can correct the mistake. I love my editors :heart: for catching errors and for helping me with commas.

Dang it... 

I read it once and I'm like "alright it's good if I read it again I'll end up writing it all over again" and I'll be stuck on chapter one for four years and get absolutely nowhere. I look at my mistakes and go, well that was a lot of school for nothing, I still type me when it should be my. That and I'm street smart not book smart. 🤓

It's one of my opportunities, I even downloaded a program to say "no no no that is not even close try again". It's been semi-helpful. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2