The Drop in Centre

• Site Moderator
1 hour ago, Mikiesboy said:

it was very dreary wasn't it ... i worked so didn't see much of the weather. bit brighter now.. i'm glad you're seeing the robins. 

The bunnies are back, too. Spring has really sprung. :D 

Made this yesterday 

https://www.hintofhealthy.com/sausage-and-rice-casserole/

and boy is it nice. Quite simple to put together, which is a plus.

The recipes on this site are supposed to be of the healthy variety, so I’m going to have a good look at it to see what else they’ve got.

PS: The one thing I did think about this recipe is the amount of rice is a bit much. I’m going to cut it by a third next time I make it. 

Edit: 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

It just hit me right now why I had too much rice. I measured the three cups of boiled rice in its uncooked state and cooked that as “what I needed”. 

I’ll show myself out…

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
30 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

The bunnies are back, too. Spring has really sprung. :D 

Made this yesterday 

https://www.hintofhealthy.com/sausage-and-rice-casserole/

and boy is it nice. Quite simple to put together, which is a plus.

The recipes on this site are supposed to be of the healthy variety, so I’m going to have a good look at it to see what else they’ve got.

PS: The one thing I did think about this recipe is the amount of rice is a bit much. I’m going to cut it by a third next time I make it. 

Edit: 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

It just hit me right now why I had too much rice. I measured the three cups of boiled rice in its uncooked state and cooked that as “what I needed”. 

I’ll show myself out…

NO!! don't go.. but  wow, lol, that would be a lot of rice ... the recipe looks nice though, thanks for sharing it

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Site Moderator
7 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

NO!! don't go.. but  wow, lol, that would be a lot of rice ... the recipe looks nice though, thanks for sharing it

Yeah, it was a lot of rice, so it’s a lot different then it’s meant to be. Very tasty, though, so I’m not complaining. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

Yeah, it was a lot of rice, so it’s a lot different then it’s meant to be. Very tasty, though, so I’m not complaining. 

Rice, any kind, seems to really hit Michael's blood sugar, so we rarely eat it. There is none in the house currently, but i bet i can tinker with the recipe and use cauliflower rice instead.

• Like 5
  • Site Moderator
25 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Rice, any kind, seems to really hit Michael's blood sugar, so we rarely eat it. There is none in the house currently, but i bet i can tinker with the recipe and use cauliflower rice instead.

I’d say you totally could. The rice is added at the end, so the rest is really just “the sauce” for the rice. 

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator
9 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

image.png.9fc2dba2b381a932bc56404dbff0c23b.png

This is a good one, tim. Must confess, my weird brain saw “peanut butter” in there at first glance. Why? I know not… 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Haha 3
  • Site Moderator
39 minutes ago, Fae Briona said:

Around here, Spring means: storms, hail, flooding, high winds, and tornadoes.  :(

Fingers crossed all that passes you by or when they show, they’re nothing but a whisper. 

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

This is a good one, tim. Must confess, my weird brain saw “peanut butter in there at first glance. Why? I know not… 

hehe, i like your weird brain!  :)

• Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Site Moderator
On 3/24/2023 at 12:36 PM, Mikiesboy said:

back from the shrink and the dentist.. both were painful ... more dentist next week.

xoxo

I hope your dental appt next week goes well, tim. 

I also made this version of Roasted Red Pepper Soup.

https://www.goodlifeeats.com/sos-progressive-dinner-roasted-red-pepper-soup/

It’s really tasty, though I did omit the sherry, lime juice and swapped the cilantro for parsley.

The sherry - not might my taste.

the lime juice -  didn’t think I’d like it

the cilantro - my mom doesn’t like it.

I’m going to make it again, but I’m waiting for the peppers to be on sale before I do. 

I roasted the peppers after cutting them up, but didn’t remove the skins (they were still red rather than blackened) as that process was too tedious as far as I’m concerned. Besides after blending them, they were fine that way. I blended them enough to break them down which made the soup thicker (very nice that way) than puréing as much as the recipe called for. 

It’s noisy, but eating the soup with celery sticks makes for a nice meal.

PS. the link reverted back to the site homepage, so just type in tje name in tje search box if that happens. 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 3
4 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

I’ve only seen two, and both of them at the cottage dump. The bigger one made off with the larger garbage bag my dad threw down the hill leaving the smaller bag for the smaller bear. Little did he/she know, the smaller bag contained caramel flavoured popcorn. Bigger is not always better… :P 

I'm curious if they could taste that tho! Sad if they can't. Hahaha

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator
1 minute ago, Solus Magus said:

I figured if they like honey, they’d like caramel popcorn, but they grabbed the bags and took them into the woods, so I don’t know if the bear ate them or not. 

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Solus Magus said:

oh, i'm sure they can ... bears like their food.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
20 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

xoxo

I hope your dental appt next week goes well, tim. 

I also made this version of Roasted Red Pepper Soup.

https://www.goodlifeeats.com/sos-progressive-dinner-roasted-red-pepper-soup/

It’s really tasty, though I did omit the sherry, lime juice and swapped the cilantro for parsley.

The sherry - not might to my taste.

the lime juice -  didn’t think I’d like it

the cilantro - my mom doesn’t like it.

I’m going to make it again, but I’m waiting for the peppers to be on sale before I do. 

I roasted the peppers after cutting them up, but didn’t remove the skins (they were still red rather than blackened) as that process was too tedious as far as I’m concerned. Besides after blending them, they were fine that way. I blended them enough to break them down which made the soup thicker (very nice that way) than puréing as much as the recipe called for. 

It’s noisy, but eating the soup with celery sticks makes for a nice meal.

PS. the link reverted back to the site homepage, so just type in tje name in tje search box if that happens. 

I'd recommend adding the lime juice if you have fresh, or even some lemon, it really brightens things up. Start with 1/2 the amount they recommend.  Remember, buy the lightest coloured limes they have in the store.

Today, i am baking my carrot cake.  It's mine now because I've changed it enough to say that. Much less sugar, reduced flour .. replaced by oat flour, 2 cups of carrots, an apple, applesauce, pecans, unsweetened coconut and unsweetened pineapple, 1/2 the oil, addition of flax. It's a great cake. I do frost it with a cream cheese/butter frosting. Even with that, it doesn't seem to bother Michael's blood sugar very much.

The weather is grotty ... now it's time to have some tea (I've given up coffee due to stomach issues) and some early lunch or late breakfast.

Have a great Saturday.

• Love 3
  • Haha 1
  • Site Moderator
8 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

I'd recommend adding the lime juice if you have fresh, or even some lemon, it really brightens things up. Start with 1/2 the amount they recommend.  Remember, buy the lightest coloured limes they have in the store.

Today, i am baking my carrot cake.  It's mine now because I've changed it enough to say that. Much less sugar, reduced flour .. replaced by oat flour, 2 cups of carrots, an apple, applesauce, pecans, unsweetened coconut and unsweetened pineapple, 1/2 the oil, addition of flax. It's a great cake. I do frost it with a cream cheese/butter frosting. Even with that, it doesn't seem to bother Michael's blood sugar very much.

The weather is grotty ... now it's time to have some tea (I've given up coffee due to stomach issues) and some early lunch or late breakfast.

Have a great Saturday.

When I make the soup again, I’ll put on a brave face and try it with lime juice.

Love carrot cake myself and did find a healthy recipe for it, but it doesn’t contain the fruit you mentioned. 

Maybe, when you have more than a moment you can post your recipe, because it does sound good. And yes, I am partial to the cream cheese frosting. :D 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Reader1810 said:

When I make the soup again, I’ll put on a brave face and try it with lime juice.

Love carrot cake myself and did find a healthy recipe for it, but it doesn’t contain the fruit you mentioned. 

Maybe, when you have more than a moment you can post your recipe, because it does sound good. And yes, I am partial to the cream cheese frosting. :D 

You can ask @Wayne Gray about how i often i moan about needing cake.. with thick thick thick! icing. We get lots of gifts from the bank while working from home, snack boxes, a planter, a massive blanket/tent, yoga mat and exercise stuff, more snacks, other stuff.. but no cake or donuts.  LOL   I needed cake so dug out this recipe and fixed it up for us.   i will write it out for you, it's really nice and not oily. i can't eat stuff like that now, so i reduce the oil in most things by half.

I've been making Oatmeal blueberry muffins from Sally's Baking Addiction ... i use the ap flour and the butter, but the sweetener is only a half cup of honey... they are delicious.  

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/blueberry-oatmeal-muffins/

As you know i love her morning glory muffins .. much less oily then shop bought.

• Love 3
  • Haha 2
  • Site Moderator
18 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

As you know i love her morning glory muffins .. much less oily then shop bought.

I came across a recipe for these muffins recently, and here you are mentioning them (I recall Mike really likes them as well). I feel as if the universe is telling me to make these muffins…

Edit: PS: Nothing wrong with needing cake. ;)

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
29 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

I came across a recipe for these muffins recently, and here you are mentioning them (I recall Mike really likes them as well). I feel as if the universe is telling me to make these muffins…

Edit: PS: Nothing wrong with needing cake. ;)

Oh, yeah, those are wonderful. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..