The Drop in Centre

Just got this email from school:

You are scheduled to begin HUM/115 (Critical Thinking in Everyday Life)

Tips for this course:

• General: Sometimes sensitive or even controversial topics might come up for discussion in this course. Keep an open mind and be respectful of the perspectives of your classmates regarding these topics.

• Week 1: You will use the Opposing Viewpoints in Context resource in the University Library to select a topic from the list of issues presented. You should choose a topic that interests you, as it will serve as the basis of the work you complete in future weeks.

• Week 5: The Strategic Thinking and Self-Analysis Worksheet assignment will be due and is worth a large percentage of your grade for this class.

I like that they sent the email, but that they had to send it out, is wow.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, BHopper2 said:

Just got this email from school:

You are scheduled to begin HUM/115 (Critical Thinking in Everyday Life)

Tips for this course:

• General: Sometimes sensitive or even controversial topics might come up for discussion in this course. Keep an open mind and be respectful of the perspectives of your classmates regarding these topics.

• Week 1: You will use the Opposing Viewpoints in Context resource in the University Library to select a topic from the list of issues presented. You should choose a topic that interests you, as it will serve as the basis of the work you complete in future weeks.

• Week 5: The Strategic Thinking and Self-Analysis Worksheet assignment will be due and is worth a large percentage of your grade for this class.

I like that they sent the email, but that they had to send it out, is wow.

Why is it wow?

• Like 1
Just now, Starrynight22 said:

Why is it wow?

Without getting political. The fact that a college has to send out an email to students, to say, "People have different opinions. Respect them." That's an indictment on our current state of affairs.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BHopper2 said:

Without getting political. The fact that a college has to send out an email to students, to say, "People have different opinions. Respect them." That's an indictment on our current state of affairs.

No, not really.  I worked for a university for 5 years.  I think as older adult students we can forget a traditional aged student is typically 17 or 18.  Some are very naive and sheltered still.   College is their first exposure to people unlike themselves.  

Its easy to get cynical 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, Starrynight22 said:

No, not really.  I worked for a university for 5 years.  I think as older adult students we can forget a traditional aged student is typically 17 or 18.  Some are very naive and sheltered still.   College is their first exposure to people unlike themselves.  

Its easy to get cynical 

With social media and the internet in general, it seems hard to believe that 17-18 year olds are at all sheltered anymore. Hell, most of them know more about the world than I do (albeit skewed). However, you've made a legitimate point, Starry. Because I take my classes online, I forget that some fellow classmates may be fresh out of high school, and therefore I shouldn't be annoyed that their discussion posts read like kindergarten gibberish. I will keep my cynicism more in check.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Hello, and Good Evening... Just braved the wilds of Walmart, getting stuff people forgot for tomorrow.

Almost had a panic attack, if I had stayed in there much longer. Yeah, social anxiety. Good times.

Now, I'm at home chilling, all by myself, and a bag of these:

GUEST_c4717e1e-a6f4-4a00-8ff1-374011f674

Edited by BHopper2
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1

It's a lovely 14f here .. wind and snow.. good times to be had by all.  My knee really does not like this cold..  will drop another 6 or 7 degrees overnight they say .. :D   Yay for warm duvets and hot Husbands :D 

• Love 2
  • Wow 2
1 minute ago, Mikiesboy said:

It's a lovely 14f here .. wind and snow.. good times to be had by all.  My knee really does not like this cold..  will drop another 6 or 7 degrees overnight they say .. :D   Yay for warm duvets and hot Husbands :D 

Warm snuggles are always good.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

the heart is for duvets & Husbands

NOT sore knees

• Like 1
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

7 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

the heart is for duvets & Husbands

NOT sore knees

My wow was for the cold and snow. 😛

• Love 2
  • Site Moderator
21 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

And snuggly throws to hide under and hot chocolate -   I’m drinking my third one of the day. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

And snuggly throws to hide under and hot chocolate -   I’m drinking my third one of the day. 

i did not want to go out this morning.. not snow or hail,  that stuff Mac Sir mentioned the other day.. tiny round pellets.. not icy on the sidewalks but the roads were awful.. i left here at 7:30 and didn't get to work till 8:40 its only 7km.

while i was on the birchmount bus,  the bus phone thing rang .. driver said hello.. was quiet for a minute and then replied loudly .. Because it's icy! ...  it was too. scary crossing the road.

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 1
  • Wow 2
  • Site Moderator
8 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

while i was on the birchmount bus,  the bus phone thing rang .. driver said hello.. was quiet for a minute and then replied loudly .. Because it's icy! ...  it was too. scary crossing the road.

I’m glad it got better later on in the day. Still cold, but the sidewalks were clear. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Site Moderator
14 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

wow big snow now... LOL  yikes.. i'm such a wimp....LOL

So kind of you to take all the snow, because there’s none in my neighbourhood. Mind you, the blinds are closed, so...

I’m not going to look 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

I know something, I won't tell. I won't tell. I won't tell! I know something, I won't tell.

Have I mentioned lately, how much I love Beta Reading for tim?

Lol

• Love 4

Those damned onions again.

Seriously, my bedroom is next to the kitchen and someone is prepping a shyte-ton of onions for tomorrow.

But they aren't the only reason for the waterworks.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

I'll be working while all of you are enjoying your turkey and families and friends.  i hope you all have a wonderful day!!

If I had a Star Trek teleporter I'd send you some.

I'll be having Thanksgiving twice tomorrow. At 11:00 am with my Mom, at the facility, and then later here at home sometime around dinner time.

• Love 3

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..