Open Club  ·  134 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

1 hour ago, Albert1434 said:

Ok for now tomorrow the Smoke returns and we will look like San Francisco The Rotating Fan Smiley

Now Albert, I know for a fact that there isn't a big orange bridge in your backyard nor is your neighbor's house located in the Castro despite the noisy chickens so I seriously doubt you're looking like San Francisco though you may have a post apocalyptic sky.

• Haha 3
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, Marty said:

Looks like you'll have a riot of colour in the spring, clo! :thumbup:

I actually bought a one stone (14 pound weight or 6.35kg) net of daffodils (narcissi) yesterday from the garden centre. British grown (hence the imperial weight) and of the variety Golden Trumpet (aka: King Alfred). I'm going to plant them in clumps around the garden and let them naturalise. Oddly there are no existing daffodils in the garden

That sounds lovely. I'm fond of daffodils.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Marty said:

Hi, dughlas! :hug:

There's a definite autumnal feel to the weather here these days. The leaves are beginning to turn, the weather certainly feels cooler, especially first thing in the morning, and I can certainly notice the hours of daylight getting shorter as we move towards the equinox. I'd just be happier if we were getting a bit more sunshine.

I need to use glasses for reading, and I'm fortunate that my two eyes are both at the same strength (or weakness), which means my optician has told me I can buy the cheap reading glasses available in supermarkets and discount stores. I can pick them up in the UK for £1 a pair, or even in Ireland at around €1.50. I like to get the ones with narrow lenses, so I can look down to read, or look over them to focus on things (or people) further away. Although much of the time they're just perched on my forehead, ready to be pulled down when needed.

Happy Thursday, everyone! :hug: 

We had more autumnal weather this past weekend. Today is what my grandmother might have called "close". Not overly warm, upper 70's but the humidity is such that the air feels thick and clingy.

I need glasses for distance, so I have lens with a single correction. I typically only wear them to drive or when I'm away from home. Around the house and garden I usually forego wearing them unless the attractive young fellow a couple doors down is out working in his vegetable patch shirtless. He's a dark ginger, slightly built but very fit lad with a bit of chest hair that glistens when he's worked up a bit of sweat.

• Haha 5
7 minutes ago, Marty said:

It just needs to be prepared correctly, bro. Same as the poor misunderstood Brussel sprout. :yes: 

Hide contents

71acU08AWQL.jpg

My first experience with Brussel sprouts was in my late 20's. My wife found a recipe for maple glazed roasted ones and thought we should try them. She and I managed to gag down a couple each before giving up. Our son spit out his first. It was another 20+ years before I tried them again and now roasted or braised sprouts are among my favorite veggies.

I've yet to find any preparation for kale, and I've tried a few, that I find palatable.  Mum feels the same. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
59 minutes ago, Marty said:

I've never managed to get to San Francisco, but I hope to one day. :yes:

I was there many years ago when my wife's younger brother was married. We got home a week before the earthquake that struck during the World Series. I liked the city very much and would like to visit again.

49 minutes ago, Albert1434 said:

I was there for the summer of love good times:yes:

The "Summer of Love". I think I read about that in my history book. Seriously, I was a preteen and remember how scandalous it seemed when I heard adults talk about it.

• Haha 4

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..