Readers, why do you read a story but not Comment?

8 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

The examples I noticed had multiple chapters yet zero Comments. I don’t think I’ve ever read a story where no one Commented. I guess it’s partly because I use the number of Comments as a crude scale for how popular a story is – the Likes and other Reactions aren’t visible on the Newest Stories page. And I’m sure it’s partly because I would almost certainly Comment if I planned to read more than just one chapter…  ;–)

That is quite odd to be honest, Im surprised to find that this happens with such new stories, Old stories, fair enough because there would have been less members which leads to less comments but new stories? It's a mystery to me. Maybe people who binge read don't leave comments as they want to move onto the next new story?

• Love 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Okay @Talo Segura wrote a blog about looking for some of these stories. I checked out the two authors he mentioned. One story didn't look like my kind of genre, but I looked into the other author. I read Steven Keith's stories on Awesome Dude and emailed him after I read his flash fiction and short stories. He said he no longer posts here and doesn't even remember his password here.

After completing all the stories not posted here, I started reading One Moonlit Night here on GA. I encourage everyone to at least take a look at the first chapter. I really enjoyed the story and posted my Comments for each chapter as I read them and a review when I completed the whole story.

Certainly the plot is not unique, but this genre is common because it's very popular.  ;–)

• 2 years later...
On 8/4/2021 at 5:06 AM, SnowBear said:

I read GA for years as a teen and was scared to create an account, mostly cause i was on a shared computer and was afriad someone would find something. I also thought if i said i was under 18 i would get shut out of the site somehow, I didn't really know a lot back then, still don't honestly lol. I generally keep quiet and I'm just here for the ride but I've started to become a more active member this past year. Like someone said in an earlier post, some authors don't respond well to constructive feedback or suggestions on where to take the story. I mean it may suck, it might not, but it's their story and if i don't have anything nice to say why say anything at all? It's like screaming at the tv when someone opens the door to go down to the dark basement without a flashlight, it's going to happen and there's nothing you can do about it so sit down shut up or leave lol 

Personally, I prefer reader input, because it helps me know how to adjust the story if need be. The thrill of a story isn't just between the author and his creation, it's also between the reader and the author's creation, too. If you commit time to read a story, get engage by the plot and characters, then you should never feel like your wasting your time on those commitments without getting enjoyment out of it.

Never be afraid to interact with others, share your opinions with pride (even if you get shouted down), and just keep expanding your horizons. I personally think some of GA's best authors could give a few published gay fiction authors runs for their money in terms of character and plot development, there are genuine gems on GA. On the other hand, there's some stories I read, but don't respond to as well, mostly due to the feeling of "meh", not because I don't like it, but it's a story concept I've read from other authors (some of whom I paid money indirectly through my Kindle unlimited and Audible memberships).

I hope you feel more comfortable to interact and be open to others.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
On 1/25/2019 at 6:46 AM, Kitt said:

My case us a little different. I used to leave comments religiously, even if it was merely a 👍

I was driven off of commenting when an author reacted very poorly to what i thought an harmless observation.

The plot took a completely unexpected twist, almost an about face for the character. I referred to it as an unsignalled left turn. I did not say anything i thought could be construed as dissatisfaction with the development, just that it was totally unexpected.

This author went off like a firecracker with a shirt fuse. He proceeded to dress me down publically in the comments telling me he worked hard on the story and how dare i be so nasty etc. He rambled on about how mean my comment was for several paragraphs.  He informed me, and the entire GA community what a horrid p rson i was.

Maybe i caught him on a bad day, but his comments, made publically, hurt. 

I continued to read thus authors work, and to leave likes, but changed my commenting policy. I would leave emogies that fit my feelings. 

This author posted two or three more chapters then has left the story unfinished. He was so close to tying up the loose ends, one or two more chapters could have completed it. It has been several years now.

I continued with my emogie policy till i found out the little hearts were disapearing after a while.

I now comment rarely. Comments are kept to generic " nice job" and the like with the exception of a few authors I know and can trust that if a comment is taken poorly it will be discussed in private.  I refuse to leave myself open to the nasty pm's i got from other readers after that author went nuts over my left turn comment.

I'm very disheartened by the experience you had. However, if your thoughts or opinions are constructive, then you should voice them. You never know, maybe your comment is exactly what the author needs to hear. It also might bring attention to some overlooked detail. 

I truly don't believe an author can grow and improve without feedback,and I'm including myself in my statement. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Ajbt2001 said:

I'm very disheartened by the experience you had. However, if your thoughts or opinions are constructive, then you should voice them. You never know, maybe your comment is exactly what the author needs to hear. It also might bring attention to some overlooked detail. 

I truly don't believe an author can grow and improve without feedback,and I'm including myself in my statement. 

Look, if you’re going to make critical story remarks in comments then you best have a somewhat thick skin in case you receive a proportionate (in which case you may be embarrassed) or disproportionate (in which case your jaw may drop in stunned disbelief) reply to your criticism, and not only from the author. There are more of us with experiences just like the individual that you quoted than you might expect, myself included. In my case, I moved on and learned a little bit about navigating egos—still not a professional ego navigator—and I learned that some word choices might be triggers. You have a ego; I have a ego; sometimes egos are easily bruised. This is why I previously stated that criticism, whether constructive (which criticism should be) or otherwise, should be made in PM’s or emails, as the case may be, to the author directly and NOT in the public domain… unless you have established a good rapport with the author and you know you can get away with snarky comments. 

• Like 4
  • 2 months later...