Readers, why do you read a story but not Comment?

2 hours ago, Thorn Wilde said:

I almost always comment, but sometimes I just don't have the energy or the will to do so. Simple as that. If I'm reading a completed story I'll comment on the chapters where I have something to say. I know how good it feels to receive the kind of validation that a comment can bring (us writers are vain creatures, aren't we? :P) so if I can possibly think of something to say, I generally will. But again, sometimes I just don't have the energy to engage, so I stick with leaving reactions. I know others do the same, and I think that's fair. 

The homeless people I encountered were mostly from more urban neighborhoods. Very different from my suburban upbringing. The social contract I was taught was that you thanked everyone who helped you. They all thought I was odd for thanking people who served us meals or the people who rang up my purchases at a store. But that’s what people do where I grew up.  ;–)

So I thank writers by Commenting on their work.  ;–)

Just now, droughtquake said:

The homeless people I encountered were mostly from more urban neighborhoods. Very different from my suburban upbringing. The social contract I was taught was that you thanked everyone who helped you. They all thought I was odd for thanking people who served us meals or the people who rang up my purchases at a store. But that’s what people do where I grew up.  ;–)

So I thank writers by Commenting on their work.  ;–)

Ah, yes, perhaps it is my city upbringing that occasionally makes me forget my manners and leave a story with no more than a :heart: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
18 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Ah, yes, perhaps it is my city upbringing that occasionally makes me forget my manners and leave a story with no more than a :heart: 

Or maybe your youth? I grew up way before emojis. Color TV was available but much too expensive for my parents, so I grew up on black-and-white – even the (to me) gray-scale NBC peacock with the voiceover: ‘Brought to you in living color!’  ;–)

17 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

:off: I can confirm that Kitt's comments consisting of emoticons without words became empty after the big update, and she had to edit them to reinstate the emoticon. The problem may have corrected itself since then, but I'll try to find an example.

As for comments, I don't comment on stories if the author doesn't reply to comments. I also don't comment on stories where the characters use mouthwash. ;) 

Did the emoticons use mouthwash and become extinct?  ;–)

1 minute ago, Myr said:

No need. she found one for me and I've already reported it to the programmer.

That particular issue I think was caused by the upgrade/conversion.  since adding new emojji support, this shouldn't be a problem going forward.  (ie a one time issue with the conversion of systems)

Yep, it hasn't happened since. It would be great if they could miraculously reappear, but I'll understand if it's not possible. 

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, northie said:

I would look at the accomplished, knowledgeable feedback of those who had already commented and I knew i could never articulate anything like that.

Clearly, you both joined GA before I started posting my comments!  ;–)

17 minutes ago, Jason Rimbaud said:

But my sense of humor doesn't normally translate to text and I can rub people the wrong way with things I say.

I’ve had to apologize for things I’ve said that were misinterpreted (to put it mildly). When I post what I intend as a joke, it seems obviously humorous to me and I have been surprised that I’ve insulted someone unintentionally. I try to make sure I don’t repeat my mistakes, but written words can imply different things to people with varying backgrounds and experiences. I’ve had to apologize to people I respect very much and have edited posts to try to minimize the damage I’ve caused. It’s never enough, but I do try.

27 minutes ago, Jason Rimbaud said:

Plus I am completely shy and really have a hard time interacting with people outside of my job.

I am Risk Averse and shy too. But I’ve gotten comfortable here on GA. I hope with time, you’ll be able to relax a little more. I’ve read a few of your Comments in the past. I like hearing from as many different people as possible. There have been many times when others have mentioned things that I’ve overlooked and I like to mention things others haven’t noticed. But there have been times when others have expressed what I thought so well that I could only say ‘Ditto.’  ;–)

For me it wasn't easy to 'just' come here, read a few stories, comment, try to win some friends and then eventually post something. After I posted my first prompt I almost had heart palpitations. Luckily. I got a few positive comments that encouraged me to try my hands on an anthology story. If I didn't have had Lisa, who was kind enough to be my editor and who I got to know through another site, I would never have been brave enough to post something. Even comments, I checked them a thousand times as I was afraid to make a mistake or accidentally offend the author. Anyway, I was lucky. For a while, I was afraid liking something looked I was paying in advance for likes or comments for my stuff. I made sure I really liked it, which might be mildly paranoid, and I'm over it now. :)   Mostly.

I try to always comment on the stories I read. If something bothers me too much I stop reading, if you can't say something nice....  if it's a friend's story, I tell them what I do not like. I know they can take it. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, jamessavik said:

When it comes to comments, be careful what you wish for.

Some are rude. Some are crude. Some are anatomically impossible. 

Some are petty. Some are unhinged grammar nazis on the war path. Some are morally offended by some element of your story.

Some are sore that drugs were in your story and claim you seem to be glorifying them. However, they never seem to think you are glorifying murder in a mystery.

Some don't like your religious allusions that you never even knew were there.

Some don't like a suicide and others get really bent out of shape by you filthy language.

So... comments aren't all sunshine and flowers. 

If you've written something well, sometimes you will get the sunshine and flowers comments. 

They are fun to get. 

@jamessavik you raise a few really good points here and I'd say that there are members past and present to GA that have been on one side or the other of the points you make and maybe a few have been on both sides of them.

One point that strikes me is, "So... comments aren't all sunshine and flowers." The reason for that is because it's not just the comments that are not all sunshine and flowers, it's sometime the 'lack' of comments and/or other actions of other members which can border on being what I term as 'playground politics'. Yes an element of it does exist on GA. Personally I'm not interested in playing that game and will not be drawn into it.

If any of us are leaving comments or taking actions that are good, or even neutral, we shouldn't need to think twice before leaving the comment. If our comments or actions are critical, sometimes overly critical, or negative then we should stop and think before going any further. We may have misunderstood something, maybe it hasn't been very well put across etc. or we may not know or understand what the author is experiencing or going through at the time of writing, this is often very influential on what an author writes this is something that many of us well know. So think before you act, maybe a tactful private message will reveal something important that will influence your thoughts and/or actions. Opening up a dialogue is usually a good way forward and very often beneficial to all.

My point being if your comments or actions are not good or supportive think before you act, GA is overall a good community so let's keep it that way and try to help improve it.

Edited by Mancunian
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, jamessavik said:

Some are morally offended by some element of your story.

Some are sore that drugs were in your story and claim you seem to be glorifying them. However, they never seem to think you are glorifying murder in a mystery.

Some don't like your religious allusions that you never even knew were there.

Some don't like a suicide and others get really bent out of shape by you filthy language.

Yeah. This. I remember getting comments on my language in my Jacob and Marcus Tales. Which I specifically warned contained gratuitous swearing. :P 

• Like 5

@jamessavik

You have described the majority of my stories. Throw in the fact the MC of my series has a concealed carry permit, and you can imagine the type of reaction I often receive. Most readers realize this is fiction and my guy's not one-dimensional, but some fans aren't shy to tell me they disagree. I kinda like that and encourage it.

• Like 5
29 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

Time for me to add something besides my "ditto" above.

There are some stories I've read where I gave out pity comments and reactions. While the story is so absolutely horrible, I'll toss something in the comments, or just click the thumbs-up button just to show I've read it. I was taught praise in public, criticize in private, and that's what I do. In public, some of my comments are all Sunshine and Unicorn-Glitter-Farts; however, in private I can get brutally honest with my opinion if I was asked to give it. More than once I've had authors here stop talking to me because they asked for honest feedback and I gave it to them.

This. If I have constructive criticism to give (beyond the very basic, unless it's a writer I know is fine with it), I will often do so via PM, rather than bring it up in the comments. As I have done, on multiple occasions, usually on things purely writing technique related. Things like, 'You've been using this word in this context a lot, but it doesn't actually mean what you think it means.' Or, 'I'm loving your story, but you have some grammar and spelling issues and you might benefit from getting an editor.' Things like that. And they're generally received with thanks, or they have been so far.

Personally, I welcome constructive criticism in comments on my stories, though I reserve the right to laugh at you if you complain about something I have specifically warned you about. :P 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 7:01 AM, droughtquake said:

While viewing the Newest Stories page, I noticed that there are a couple stories where many people have viewed the story, but absolutely no one has Commented. If I read a story, I try to find something to Comment on. I will come up with wild tangents or crazy pairings to keep myself entertained if no one else is saying anything interesting.

If there are hundreds of view, why can’t the readers say something, anything, to the author! Are they merely satisfied with the story? Why are they continuing to read new chapters?

I admit I haven’t read the stories that fit this description so I don’t know what the quality of writing is, but I’ve read other stories by one of the authors in the past and quality wasn’t a issue. I’m not trying to embarrass any authors, so I’m not mentioning names. I’m just curious about what I see as an odd phenomenon.

I’m guessing that once a pattern has been set, no one wants to be the first to break the ice. I know that some of the stories I read get several pages of Comments for each chapter. Others of a similar high quality only get a dozen or fewer per chapter. I know that the length of the chapter/story and the sheer number of readers make a huge difference, but some stories generate more speculation about future developments than others.

Does anybody have any insights to share?

I usually try to find some things to comment on, however sometimes I may want to quickly read the story/ chapter. Sometimes I wont comment because I want to see how things play out and sometimes I just don't comment because I'm not really sure what to say, or I don't think I've got enough to say to comment. When I do comment I usually express how I feel at the time during the story and what I'm thinking at the end of the chapter.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, Higster said:

I usually try to find some things to comment on, however sometimes I may want to quickly read the story/ chapter. Sometimes I wont comment because I want to see how things play out and sometimes I just don't comment because I'm not really sure what to say, or I don't think I've got enough to say to comment. When I do comment I usually express how I feel at the time during the story and what I'm thinking at the end of the chapter.

The examples I noticed had multiple chapters yet zero Comments. I don’t think I’ve ever read a story where no one Commented. I guess it’s partly because I use the number of Comments as a crude scale for how popular a story is – the Likes and other Reactions aren’t visible on the Newest Stories page. And I’m sure it’s partly because I would almost certainly Comment if I planned to read more than just one chapter…  ;–)