A writing style different from the traditional

I am editing a story in which each sentence is basically written as a separate paragraph.

e.g.

She is writing a story. This is not her first.

Her last story used a traditional style.

This is the look on a page, though sentences are longer than in this letter.

The story is a dramatic one.

From the P.O.V. of an English prof (I am NOT), the structure sucks.

In this story, the structure seems to "fit" the topic.

I figure I will just leave it.

What do you think? I want feedback.

Thanks

• Site Administrator

"Rules" can be broken.

If it works, then don't worry about it.

Only suggest the author change it if you feel it's stilted or otherwise not working.

If the reader isn't distracted by the style, then I don't see a problem with it.

My opinion only, of course

Graeme :D

I've got to agree with Graeme on this one.

As a reader, not an editor, I'd say that I'd need more to know if the style "works" for the story or not.

I'd suggest as he metnioned in that other thread, to have some beta-readers check it out.

It might work really well, and you said yourself that it "fits."

I'm kinda curious to see how this works now, in the actual story :D

And speaking from a writer's perspective, I'd be upset with my editor of s/he tried to make me change something like this when it's the actual intended effect.

Even if it doesn't "work" I'd probably leave it as-is as an experiment haha - but I'm weird like that :D

I agree with Graeme: if it works it's okay.

I would caution, however, that you need to distinguish between what works for you and what you think works for the general reader. Not that the story needs to be changed, but the author should be cautioned that he/she may be isolating the story from general readership. And the editor needs to assess how it will be received by the general reader and whether the story with its stylistic device overcomes any nod that would have to be made to the general reader.

Also, make sure that what works in small doses will work for an entire story. The reader can become tired of an overused device, which this may be, and unless the author is very good, the device overwhelms the underlying story.

Absalom! Absalom! has sentences that covers multiple pages virtually throughout the entire novel, but the author is Faulkner, and the writing is superb.

rec

• Site Moderator

Speaking as an editor, I agree, communication between author and editor is very important. I worked on a piece today that seems to be a departure for the normal for this author. So the emails are flying back and forth about it.

Jan

Speaking as a writers who, on occasion has used this style before in A shot of Bourbon. Its a double edged sword. To me when I wrote that the statements the Main character was using made more sense as stand alone paragraphs. Then again I always saw it more as a conversation then I did as a story written by the main character.

I found that most readers had overlooked the style it was written in, If that was a result in poor education or just being too lazy to comment I dunno I did however recieve one comment asking me not to use that tactic in the future.

Steve

I am editing a story in which each sentence is basically written as a separate paragraph.

e.g.

She is writing a story. This is not her first.

Her last story used a traditional style.

This is the look on a page, though sentences are longer than in this letter.

The story is a dramatic one.

From the P.O.V. of an English prof (I am NOT), the structure sucks.

In this story, the structure seems to "fit" the topic.

I figure I will just leave it.

What do you think? I want feedback.

Thanks

In my most honest opinion. If I had to read something that was spaced like this. I wouldn't get through the first three sentences. If it was formatted like this I'd close it and move on. It wouldn't matter to me if they were the sweetest words in print.

• Site Administrator
I would caution, however, that you need to distinguish between what works for you and what you think works for the general reader. Not that the story needs to be changed, but the author should be cautioned that he/she may be isolating the story from general readership. And the editor needs to assess how it will be received by the general reader and whether the story with its stylistic device overcomes any nod that would have to be made to the general reader.

Don't forget that not all stories are written for the general reader. Most are written for a specific audience group. If you think about it, most of the stories here and elsewhere are not written for the general reader, but for the gay and lesbian reader. Writing for a specific sub-group is perfectly acceptable. It doesn't have to be the general gay/lesbian reader, but a specific sub-group of that set.

In my most honest opinion. If I had to read something that was spaced like this. I wouldn't get through the first three sentences. If it was formatted like this I'd close it and move on. It wouldn't matter to me if they were the sweetest words in print.

Now there's a sure sign of a cronic poster. Quoting yourself lol. Anyway

I looked back at my reply and thought I should explain a little. I think to myself.... 'How many times would I poke myself in the eye to see the most beautiful sunset' I'm not into pain... so... once.

It's just my opinion, but how many people would get through a story written in the fashion you mention above? Not as editor, but as reader, would you do it? Would you lay your eyes down on the print and fumble through it?

Now there's a sure sign of a cronic poster. Quoting yourself lol. Anyway
a postaholic if ever I saw one! :ph34r:

I looked back at my reply and thought I should explain a little. I think to myself.... 'How many times would I poke myself in the eye to see the most beautiful sunset' I'm not into pain... so... once.

It's just my opinion, but how many people would get through a story written in the fashion you mention above? Not as editor, but as reader, would you do it? Would you lay your eyes down on the print and fumble through it?

That is my thought on the matter, too. I just wouldn't bother if it was awkward. It just ruins the pleasure of reading for me, even if I really like the plot and other aspects.

That is my thought on the matter, too. I just wouldn't bother if it was awkward. It just ruins the pleasure of reading for me, even if I really like the plot and other aspects.

Thats a very good point, Its like opening a or story to find its one big paragraph. :wacko: I usualy close those and move on.

It really just depends... if it caught my attention and that style complemented the story, then heck yeah, I'd go for it.

On the other hand, if that particular style didn't match the story at all, it would make it difficult to read, and I'd be like screw it.

I guess it just depends on the person, but it's definitely a bold move. I'm not really sure one way or the other.