Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 4,244 Words
  • 1,787 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Home Away From Home - 39. Chapter 39

I needed to phone Dad. “Hi, I just wanted to talk to you about something. Puppy is strongly leaning to work at the hospital. That will mean daily trips and possibly call outs. Although he takes one of the security guys, I'd feel better if he had some sort of armor car. --- Yes, exactly. --- No, so far it has been quiet, but it was quiet for a few years when the last roundup of the four occurred. --- All right, but just tell him that it's a present and you want him to give the old car to Doug so he's free to go and see his parents. --- Yea I think that will work. On another matter, what did you have in mind for permanent quarters here. --- Yea, ok I was thinking of something like a Tahitian hut. The builder suggested a Japanese style house.--- Yes of course. How many bedrooms do you think you'll need. --- You are going to need some sort of kitchen if nothing else to make your coffee. --- Yes, I would expect you to have your meals with the rest of us. --- No, you'll enjoy the company of the guys. --- Ok have your architect send me your plans and I’ll take it from there. --- No I’ll put you outside of the secure area. I’m kidding. But with all the guys coming over from the base, I have decided to put a security fence with a gate check.--- I suppose they are safe, but all someone has to do is get a uniform and say he's from the base.--- It has been quiet and that has got me worried.---Yes I’ll tell Puppy, give Mom a hug and send the drawings. ---Ok love you too.”

I wonder what kind of place he wants, I’ll go ahead with a place for my mom and dad. I want it close to the kitchen because that's where Mom will be most of the time. Maybe Momma’s Cooking School is not a bad idea. The women from the base would love to learn, I also knew they wouldn’t get all of Mom’s secrets. Only Mom’s number one son would get those.

“Carlo, I’m home.”

“In the office, Puppy.”

“You give the best welcomes.”

“You’re not so bad yourself. I talked to Dad today. He's going to send a drawing of what he wants his place to look like. I think for my parents, a Tahiti hut would be perfect. You know Mom will be in the kitchen all the time. What do you think about opening Momma’s Cooking School?

“That will be a lot of work for your mom. But she would probably love it. I know she will not teach them as well as she taught me. Speaking of food, I’m hungry. Is there anything left.”

I fixed tea for both of us, I reheated tonight’s dinner. As he ate, I brought him up to speed on the barracks. “We can’t call them barracks, so think of a name?”

David called out, “Puppy’s motel.”

Puppy laughed. “How about Dog Tag Kennels?”

That brought a big laugh from the guys from the base that where out by the pool.

“You know, we have to think about schooling for Carlos pretty soon. He’ll be going to high school next year and then before we realize it, he'll be graduating.”

“Have you talked to him about what he wants to do.”

“No, but I think we should plant the seed. He still has four more years, so let’s see what happens. We just need to be aware and not forget, it'll be coming sooner than we think. Don’t forget we're flying to Amsterdam next week for a wedding.”

“I have already told the hospital I’ll be gone those three days and have made arrangements for one of the other doctors to cover.”

“Good. Come and I’ll give you a massage.”

It seems like only yesterday when we found Carlos. But that has been a little over 4 years ago. Now Marie is about the same age as when we found Carlos. Time really moves fast.

Our builder showed up and started to build Puppy’s Kennels. It went relatively fast. He evidently made sections in his shop and brought them to the site. All they had to do was frame the rooms and then nail on the pre-made walls. I took about 2 months to get the units finished and ready for the bathroom fixtures to be installed. I order beds and wardrobes from Japan and they arrived by boat. The builder used his truck to deliver them. The guys made a sign out of scrapped lumber, “PUPPY’S” that was all the sign said.

We received Dad’s drawings for his place. It was more or less what I thought. The guys and I picked out a place for it, and the builder started building it. I also gave him an idea about a Tahitian place for my mom and dad. He drafted up something for Puppy and I to review. Puppy made a few suggestions, which we incorporated in the design, and our builder started on that.

Larry and David met with the guys, including the base regulars and came up with a drawing as well as a layout for the security fence and guard house. Ed borrowed some technology from the base and our base guys agreed to install it.

Our family was growing, besides our security and pilots, we gain a contingency of what became known as base boys. “Carlo, there's some military guy here who wants to talk to you”

“Ok, show him into my office and please make some coffee and tea for me.”

“Good afternoon, I’m Colonel Haskins from the Base.”

“Good afternoon, Colonel. Please have a seat. May I get you a coffee or tea.”

“Coffee will be fine.” Timing is everything. Dan entered the office with 2 teas and one coffee. I guess he wasn’t sure what the Colonel would like to drink.

“Colonel, how may I help you?”

“I heard that a lot of my boys are using your place as a retreat when they are off duty. I thought I'd like to meet the man who has opened his home to my men. My staff tells me that the morale among these men have been significantly higher and efficiency in the various departments has increased. I’d like to know what you do here that effect them so positively.”

“You flatter me Colonel because I do absolutely nothing. As you may know or not know, I have a security force that is stationed here. Some of these men are military from the base and some are from Stateside. These are the people who are responsible for any change in the morale of your men.”

“You must admit for many a leave of two days cannot change them that much.”

“I think you may be incorrect. Let’s go for a tour of my home and maybe you can see why they like to come here.” Entering the kitchen, Dan, Charles, Larry and two soldiers from the camp were drinking a beer. As soon as the soldiers saw the Colonel, they snapped to attention.

“At ease soldier, as you were.”

“Mark, tell the Colonel why you like to come here.”

“Well, sir this is like home. I can come into the kitchen, grab a beer, fix a coffee, grab something to eat just as I would if I were home. Carlo and the security detail have become my friends.”

“Do all of you feel this way?”

“Yes sir.”

“Colonel let me show you something else that may be contributing to their morale.” I led the Colonel outside to show him PUPPY’S, This is where the men stay when they are here. Catch the view. Also we have a swimming pool that provides some attraction.” We walked toward the pool and the Colonel”s eyes widen as he saw the fish tank.

I explain how we built the tank, I showed him the bathhouse and the cabana. They always ask about the cabana.

“You are a home away from home for these boys. How did it all start?”

“You may not remember the lad whose mother was dying. We flew him home in time for him to spend some time with her before she passed on, that was the last of his family. I told him he could consider us as his family and he'd be welcome here anytime. It was a week before he came over and he has been coming over every time he has leave. I would bet you, that when his time is up, you’ll find him here.”

“You don’t mind them. They must run up your food bill.”

“There has been a slight increase in our food budget. None of us drink hard liquor so they bring their beer and share it with those that like it. My staff enjoys a beer now and then, your boys share.”

“And you don’t mind?”

“No sir, my security is enhanced with these boys here. In fact, two of my permanent security staff come from the base personnel when they were discharged,”

How many of your staff reside here?”

“There are ten of us who reside here full time plus 3 children who I and my partner have adopted.”

“Well, the officers at the base thank you. You have no officers among your frequent visitors.”

“No sir at least not yet, it would take a very particular officer to visit here. I don’t want the boys to be concerned or upset because they couldn’t come here. They have developed some deep friendships.”

“I have one personal question if I may.” I knew what the question was going to be. “Do gay guys live here?”

“Colonel, I’m surprised you didn’t pick up my children’s comment. Yes, there are gay guys living here in a loving relationship with their married partners. Currently there are two married gay couples and soon that will change to three. There are 6 straight guys living here.”

“As you know in the Service we have a don’t ask, don’t tell policy. If I asked you if any of my men participated in gay activities, would you tell me.”

“First, all the gay men here are married and in a very serious relationship. Second, no I would not tell you.”

“Do you feel that is a reason the men like to come here, full confidence.”

“I don’t know. But I will tell you this, none of the guys from the base who come here have exhibited any interests in the guys here or the guys who come here. But if one of them did approach me, I'd listen and help them to accept themselves.”

“I think you answer all my questions. I hope I have not offended you in anyway.”

“You have not offended me. If you or anyone on your staff would like a tour, just let me know.”

I walked the Colonel to the door, shook his hand goodbye. No sooner had I walked into the kitchen, “What did he want? Is he going to stop us from coming here?”

“No Mark, he’s not going to stop you from coming here. He can’t, you're on leave. He said his staff noted a rise in morale from the boys who came here. He wanted to know why. He didn’t say this, but I think he thought you all might be having 24 hour sex here. He asked several questions about gays and if I'd tell him if one of his men came here and we knew he was gay. I told him no, I wouldn't tell him if they were gay. He asked if any officers came here , I said no. None of you guys are officers, right.”

“I few are sergeants.”

“Good. Who's cooking tonight with David?”

“I think Ed and Brian volunteered.”

“Have you ever cooked before Brian?”

“Just party grilled at home.”

I knew what that meant. Hotdog and hamburgers. “Ok guys, dinner at 6 as soon as Puppy get’s home.”

 

It had been several months since the Colonel’s visit. During this time, all of the construction was completed. We did fly Dan and Charles to Amsterdam so they could get married, Hans met us at the airport. After the ceremony, we had lunch at the Five Flies and dinner at the seafood Chinese restaurant. I gave them the choice of Chinese or Japanese, they chose Chinese. Dan said he had eaten a lot of Japanese food since the plane made frequents trips to Japan.

The holidays were approaching, Puppy and I began to make preparations for the gang. Roy and Joe were still here. Joe was painting from the Captain’s Walk. He wouldn’t show us what he was painting, but he was happy. I think Roy helped him with that.

It was late October when the security fence was finished. Dad had an armored car shipped from Japan and the guys christened it, Doc’s Wagon. In a way, it almost looked like a smaller version of an ambulance. Behind the second row seats, there was enough space if you folded down the second row you could lay down there. Puppy loved it, he didn’t know it was armored. Still where he went, security went. I made sure all of our security personnel knew.

It was the end of the second week in November when the groups started to arrive. I had Doug and Troy take the bus to the airport and pick them up. Puppy took the day off and started to make dinner. I know that everyone at the house that day had a wet mouth from the saliva the smells created. Puppy hadn’t lost his touch.

When everyone was there, the boys from the base picked up their luggage and headed outside. Tony knew but Mom and Dad nor Doug and Vic. “The guys will show you your rooms.”

Tony was anxious, followed by Mom and Maria. Rita was surprised at the neat house, there was a small sign posted over the door, Tony’s Resort. Mom and Dad were surprised to see their place and the sign, Romano’s Hideaway. Doug and Vic thought they would sleep in the house, but their was a ‘hut’ for them as well. Only the kids slept in the house. There was a big smile on the faces of Doug and Vic when they learned that. Carlos and Maria took the kids in hand, and that was the last we saw of them until dinner.

I could tell that the guys at the house where getting hungry, they kept checking out the kitchen. Puppy came out to sit with us with an ice tea, Dan was being the steward and made sure everyone had something to drink. “I thought the kids could eat in the kitchen with Puppy and the adults will eat in the dining room with me. Puppy, how many guys from the base are here?”

“I think Dave said four.”

I just finished introducing Charles to everyone when David said dinner was ready. Clair and Nancy went to make sure the kids had washed their hands. Joe and Roy volunteered to sit with the boys so Puppy could join us in the dining room. I thought that was very considerate of them. Of course, they tried to get Carlos to agree on going to college in Wyoming.

You couldn’t have gotten a better dinner in a five star restaurant. We had our mainstay, salad and fruit platter, but the pork roast that Puppy cooked was beyond compare. Everyone, and I mean everyone, went for seconds. My dad looked at Puppy and gave him the high sign. Mom just nodded and winked at him as if there was a conspiracy among them. I was proud of Puppy, he just smiled and thanked them for their complements.

“Wait until guys at the base here about this dinner. You’ll have requests like crazy.”

“Mark, if you do, you better learn how to cook real fast.”

“If you would teach me, with food like this, I could get any girl I want.” I saw Mom’s eyes lit up. Mark was destined for Momma’s Cooking School.

After dinner, we sat around the pool watching the kids swim with the guys from the base. You know that the kids loved the fish tank. I could already hear, ‘Dad can we get a fish tank’. Mom was eyeing Ed. I knew that Ed was gone. “Mom, who?” “Victoria”

My cousin Victoria was just the opposite of Clair and Nancy. Where they were blue eyed blondes, Victoria had black eyes and black hair, but she was a beautiful girl. To give you an idea, think Gina Lollobrigida. We use to call her Gina when we were younger. Then she didn’t know what we meant. I now knew, Ed was a goner.

“You have a new security, who took Vic’s place?”

“Ed”

“No, I thought he took Mario’s place.”

“Yes, I guess he did. Then I guess Andy took Vic’s place. There are so many guys here all the time it's hard to remember who is being paid as security and who is from the base. I’m sure all of these guys would go to battle for us.”

“You have a wealth that money can’t buy. You and Anthony are truly loved by all these men around you. That's very unusual for a gay couple. I hope you thank God for this.”

“Mom, I thank God for family, friends and Puppy every night.”

I got a pat on the head as she headed to kitchen to help with the dessert. Maria came out of the pool and sat on my lap. “You know you're wet and now I'm wet as well.”

“I’m sorry. Are you mad?”

“I could never be mad at you. You’re my girl.” I kissed her on the head as Rita came and took her. She whispered something in her ear and off they went. The next time I saw Maria she was dressed in a beautiful dress which didn’t quite go with bare feet. She had a flower in her head. I looked at her and I had a tear in my eye. Maria looked beautiful and to think she was a cast off.

“Puppy, when she starts high school, I want security on her all the time.”

“She is beautiful isn’t she?”

“Yes, we have a beautiful family. The boys are turning out just as handsome. We have been blessed in more ways than one.”

“When you look at all the kids, they are going to cause a lot of problems in school, the boys and girls will be all over them.”

He was right, Doug’s and Vic’s children were just as handsome and pretty. Looking at their mothers and fathers, you could see the genes being passed on.

David and Mom brought dessert out to the pool for all of us. This was followed by Carlos and Dan with coffee and tea. Carlos sat on the ground between Puppy and I. Tony sat next to Tony senior and Maria sat between Rita and Mom. I looked at Puppy, he had a tear in his eye, I went to brush it away just as he came to brush one away from mine.

“Joe, I think you and Roy need to consider children. That is the one thing missing in your life that will guarantee you unfold joy.”

Roy started laughing, “If we had children we couldn’t come here as often.”

“You could if they aren’t in school, and they were, you could come here on breaks, holidays and summer. I’ll even build you a house if you want.”

“They laughed but the way they looked at each other I could see the gears grinding.”

Later that night as Puppy and I were laying in bed. “Want to make a bet that Roy and Joe will be adopting soon.”

“No, I saw the way they looked at each other after what you said. If I took that bet, I'd lose. Losing to you isn’t a bad deal. In fact losing to you is like winning for me.”

Several kisses later, a snuggle and then a peaceful sleep.

I woke at 5, Puppy had to go to the hospital, his brief break was over. I showered, dressed and headed for the kitchen. I started water for coffee and tea, got out the loaf of bread, eggs, sausage and potatoes ready to fix breakfast. I made myself a cup of tea and started to boil the potato for home fries and placed the sausage links in the oven to cook. My mom has a canny nose, I no sooner sat down to enjoy my cup of tea, she walked into the kitchen.

“Good morning Mom, you are up early.”

“I wanted to talk to you alone.” This sounded serious . “Your dad isn’t doing very well. The doctors say there is nothing wrong but you know how he likes his garden. He hasn’t worked in the garden for several weeks now. That isn’t your dad.”

“Mom, why don’t you sell the place and move here with Puppy and me. You have your own place and maybe Dad will get interested in making a garden again. We certainly have the land. Puppy will be here to look after him. His own private physician.”

“Who are you volunteering me as their private doctor?”

“Mom was saying she thinks Dad isn’t doing well. He’s lost interest in his garden and doctor’s can’t find anything wrong.”

“Their might not be anything wrong, woman suffer when their children leave home, you're the only child and close to your dad. He misses you and he sees you a lot less than he did. I’ll bet if you offered him the opportunity to stay here, he would perk right up.”

I looked at Mom, she didn’t say anything, she just looked at Puppy. I wasn’t sure what she was thinking, talk about a pregnant pause. She took two cups of coffee and left the kitchen. I got up and started to fix Puppy’s breakfast. “What did I say?”

“Doctor, you may have cured the patient.”

As the guys and children started to drift into the kitchen, David and I started to lay out platters of food. The children opted for cereal with fruit and glasses of milk. Clair pitched in and took care of the kids for breakfast. Nancy helped to pull together breakfast for the gang. And gang it was, we had three from the base last night and now there were two more. “When did you guys get here Al?”

“Late last night. You were all in bed, so we just went to bed as well. Jimmy wanted to swim but I was tired, just came off a 12 hour shift.”

“The coffee is ready, help yourself. Nancy has the food on the table, so grab a plate. There's plenty. Oh, please introduce yourself.”

I was glad I filled my plate before the gang hit. Nancy and Clair brought back empty dishes. David laughed, “Clair, did everyone get enough.”

“Yes, but you may need to make more coffee.”

Which I did and took the press with me into the dining room, filling Tony’s cup, how was the bed?”

“It was a little lumpy but Rita and I straightened it out.”

“Laughing, yea, you have to do that with those mattresses from Japan.”

Sitting around drinking coffee with Tony, Rita, Mom and Dad, was nice. I could get use to this real easy. “Dad, can we go swimming?”

“Who is going with you?”

“Al and Jimmy said they would go with us.”

“Ok, get your bathing suits on. Carlos keep an eye on the young kids ok?”

I got a nod from him for that. “Tony, did I tell you Mom and Dad are going to move here.”

“No, when?”

“As soon as they sell their home.”

My dad looked at me and then looked at my mom. He smiled. My mom’s face lit up. Puppy just went to number one son starred. Later that morning, “Carlo, what made you say that this morning at the breakfast table. You didn’t say anything to me this morning.”

“Mom, I’m just following doctor’s orders. You saw the twinkle in Dad’s eyes and his smile. I tell you Puppy is the best Doctor you can ever find. And for you he’s cheap.”

“What is the rest of the family going to say?”

“That isn’t important. I’m sure if their family moved away, they would jump at an offer like this. Anyway, we can fly you back anytime you want to see them. Mom, your family is here.”

Dad really perked up. “Dad, you know that living here is a little more expensive than back home. So I was wondering if when you move here, could you start an herb garden for the kitchen.”

“Where would I put it?”

“Anywhere inside the fence, look around while you're here. Pick a spot and stick a stick in it. I’ll bet there are enough farm boys at the base that would really enjoy helping you.”

Did you know you can really see someone’s brain working. I knew that Dad would begin to plot out his garden. It wouldn’t surprise me if he sends Mom home to sell the house and he stays.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 11
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter!  Mama can start her cooking school and Dad can tend his garden.  Thank you!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, mfa607 said:

Great chapter!  Mama can start her cooking school and Dad can tend his garden.  Thank you!

You're welcome. I think Carlos's mom and dad will be very happy there.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

Awesome chapter. So we get mama's cooking school and dad's garden.

Yes, and Carlos gets his family close to him. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Brilliant chapter, and he is getting his family close again, what better deal is there than that , plus the Colonel certainly found out that no secrets leave the compound  better than "don't ask, don't tell"

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Very good chapter.Just one thing they ate at a place called The Five Flies?Is that a culture thing.Otherwise it sounds ugh.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..