Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 3,556 Words
  • 1,596 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Home Away From Home - 51. Chapter 51

Nick and his son Billy arrive. Nick owned the cafe where the college students ate, sometimes free.

I called Tony to let him know I was home. They'll be flying over next week, then we can review the reports. I walked into Charles’s office, “Charles, could you pull together a summary of our visits. Tony will be over next week and I'd like a chance to review it before he sees it.”

“Here is a quick outline, I can fill it in once you review this.”

“I’m going to have two more offices built backing up to the conference room. Do you think you might need a little larger office?”

“No, but it might not be a bad idea to have a file room. It wouldn’t have to be big, but we could use one. That would free up a lot of space as well as eliminating duplication.”

“That’s a good idea, speak to Doug about that. He’s going to contract our builder.”

I really didn’t feel like working, jet lag or just unwinding, whatever it was I decided to quit for the day. I took a cup of tea and headed for the pool.

A few of the boys asked how the trip went. I told them it went very well only I missed home. One of the guys told me that Jimmy went home. “His Time was up but he left a letter for you. I’ll get it.”

I opened the letter and started to read it. I had to get up and go to my office. Tears where in my eyes as I read his letter. You never know what people think about or how you make an impression on them until they leave. The letter was beautiful and home away from home had a new meaning. After I calmed myself down, I wrote a letter to Jimmy telling how much his words meant to me. He'd always be welcomed to 'home away from home' and I'd even send the plane to bring him here. Drying my eyes, I placed the letter in the drawer of my desk. I’ll show it to Puppy tonight.

Another cup of tea and back to the pool. One of the guys came and asked if I'd give him a massage. "Sure, you need to go and rinse off the chlorine from the pool and then come here." When he came with a towel wrapped around his waist, I told him to lie down on his stomach. I pulled the towel and dropped it across his buttocks. “What’s your name? You must have just started coming here.”

“My name is Henry but everyone calls me Hank. Actually I have been on the base for two years but I’m kind of a loner. I heard the boys talking about this place so I finally got up the nerve and came over. I really missed out for the last two years.”

“Yes, but you're here now. That's what counts.”

Hank had a tight body, not overly muscular, but never the less in shape. The muscles in his shoulder were a little tight and didn’t take me long to loosen them up. “So Hank, tell me a little about your self,”

“I’m 24 years old, graduate with a business degree with the intent of working with my dad. He is a business realtor, rather than a realtor who handles private homes. It's somewhat a niche business, but he does ok.”

“Do you have girl friend back home?”

“No, one of the reasons I didn’t want to come here, is because I don’t have a girlfriend.”

“Hank, are you saying you are gay?”

“Yes, I’m not ashamed, it’s just I don’t want that on my military record. I don’t want it to be known on the base as well.”

“You know that there are 4 married gay couples living here.”

“Yes, I figured that out just by watching. But I’m in the service and that could be a problem. Most of the guys who come here are open minded, but there are a lot of guys on the base who are not.”

I began to work his back muscles and lower back area. I worked his legs down one side and up another. I worked his arms and when I asked him to turn over he was asleep.

“Hey Carlo!”

“Mac, he’s sleeping.”

“Sorry, I wasn’t here last night when you arrived. I spent the night with my dad.”

“So how is the Colonel.”

“He’s fine.”

“Sorry Colonel, I didn’t see you. I’m glad you're fine. Mac, go get your dad a cup of coffee.”

“See if you can find a few biscotti as well.”

I smiled, “I see you have developed a taste for them.”

“What is that man doing sleeping on the bed.”

“I just gave him a massage and that's usually what happens.”

“I could use a massage once in a while.”

“Anytime Colonel, ask Mac, I have given him quite a few.”

“And they always fall asleep?”

“Usually the first time, yes.”

“The next time I come over I’ll get a massage if that's ok.”

“No problem.”

“Alessandro, I'd like you to meet Mac and his father Colonel Haskins. Alessandro is the latest relative to arrive and there's one more. Where is Manolo?”

“I don’t know. The last I saw him he was talking to Maria.”

I looked toward the kitchen and saw Mom talking to Manolo and Maria. I wonder what that was all about.

“Colonel, would you like a refill?”

He didn’t reply just handed me the cup. “Alessandro, please get the Colonel a refill and could you bring a cup of tea for me. Ask my mom if she has any biscotti.”

“So another relative?”

“Yes, every time I go to Italy I end up bringing back another relative. He’s a good lad, dad works construction and during the summer there's no one to take care of him, so he goes north to Annettas. This year he comes here and it may set a pattern. He came with his cousin Manolo.”

“Here is your coffee sir. Carlo, handing me my tea, your mom said there are no more biscotti.”

“Well, Colonel I’ll bet we'll have biscotti tomorrow.”

“Alessandro, why are you laughing?”

“Your mom is scolding Manolo because he's bothering Maria.”

I need to speak to Gio. He was suppose to keep an eye on Manolo.

“Carlo, why so many out buildings?”

“You mean my Tahitian huts. Those are for guests and permanent guests. My mom and dad have one, Tony and Rita have one, then my ex-security who married my cousins have one, my college friend Joe and Roy have one, every time someone becomes a permanent member of the house, I give them a hut. It provides some privacy and a feeling of permanence. I think one of them will be for Al when his enlistment is up.”

“Where does he stay now when he's here?”

“He has a permanent room in PUPPY’S.”

“That is the rooms you built for the men who stay here when they are off base?”

“Yes, the men Christened it PUPPY’S.”

“It is almost dinner time Colonel, your welcome to stay. I don’t know what the cooks have lined up for dinner, but there's always enough.”

“Thanks Carlo, but I’ll take a rain check.”

Colonel gave Mac a hug, Mac walked him out. I decided to check on dinner. Taking the empty cups I headed toward the kitchen. There was no one there, I went looking but I couldn’t find anyone. Now I became concerned.

I went back to the pool, there were a few guys there. I asked them if they could check the grounds, “I can’t seem to find anyone.”

Hank was still sleeping, I thought it was time he woke up. “Hank, time to wake up.” I gently shook him and slowly he began to come awake. “What happened did you pass out?”

“I don’t know. I was talking to you, and then I felt so relaxed I fell to sleep in seconds.”

“How do you feel now?”

“I feel great. I better get dressed.”

“I held the towel and as soon as he got off the bed I placed the towel in front of him, he took the ends and wrapped it around his waist.”

One of the guys came back laughing, “Did you find everyone?”

“The boys are in the garden with your mom and dad, picking vegetables. The oldest one is gathering eggs. He was reaching under one of the sitting chickens for the eggs, she pecked his hand. Look here they come.”

There was the kids with Mom and Dad, but where were David and Troy. I went into the living room and I saw David coming down the stairs and Troy leaving Doug’s office. “Should I guess what you two have been doing?”

“Hey, we keep a clean house and once in a while we have to polish the knobs on the doors.”

“Yea and I know just what knobs you are polishing.”

Dinner was roasted chicken with roasted vegetables, and the usual salad and fruit. We sat in the dining room, the kids sat in the kitchen and Mac was the boss. Well, as much as a boss he could be.

For dessert, we sat around the pool with dishes of ice cream covered with fruit and chocolate. “Pop, can we go swimming?”

“Yes, just take it easy until your food digests a little.” Twenty minutes later, all 6 kids were in the pool. Mac was team director and the others were copying him. Then Alessandro and Manolo spied the fish tank.

“Those are alive, I saw the tank but I thought they were fake. Wow, this is really interesting, we can swim with the fishes.”

I had to laugh, an Italian swimming with the fishes, godfather talk. I wonder how many Italian godfathers sent people to swim with the fishes.

As I sat there watching the kids and some of the boys horsing around in the pool, I became aware of how lucky I was. And when Puppy came with a cup of tea for me and sat on my lap, I was even more thankful.

“What are you thinking about?”

“How lucky I am, look all around us, all you see is love and respect. How many gay couples do you know that have what we have. Acceptance, children that love us and are proud of us, friends that would defend us, parents who love us, we couldn't ask for more. We have it all.”

I got a kiss for that, until someone throw water on us. I looked at Puppy, a little shocked and then I looked at the pool to see who did it. They were all laughing pointing to each other. “Carlo, give up there is no way we'll find who splashed us.”

I thought I’ll find out. Tony couldn’t tell a lie if his life depended on it. Carlos brought a towel over so we could dry ourselves. “Pop, are you mad?”

“What over a little water? Never.” I waited until he had his back to us, I picked him up and threw him into the pool. He came up laughing, got out of the pool, asking me to that again. No way was I going to do it again. He would drag me with him, and I didn’t want to go swimming.

After a couple of days, every thing returned to normal, well as normal as it could be. I was up at 5 and was back to starting breakfast. Boys continued to drop in, correspondence came every week from Jimmy which I shared with the guys who know him. A couple of new boys started to come over, we were now fully integrated not based on county but more and more Afro-Americans felt at ease about coming over. Tony and Rita were due the this Saturday, Friday was the last day of school and I needed to come up with something for the kids.

“Puppy, what do you think about taking a trip with the kids visiting some historical and archeological sites. We could go and see Machu Picchu, stop at the resort in Hawaii, then go see the great wall in China, the pyramids in Egypt and take that tour in Greece.”

“What about the boat trip, I thought a cruise might be nice.”

“Like what, the Disney cruise or one of those cruises that go to various islands. Normally a cruise is like 7 days.”

“There are cruises that are 10 days, that may be enough time. It would be something different. Planning on seeing all of the wonders on the world will take much, much longer. We have time constraints as well.”

“OK, you convinced me. I’ll see what Charles can come up with?”

“What time did Dad say he was arriving?”

“He said 6. He’s smart, in time for dinner.”

“Did he say if he was bringing anyone with him?”

“No, he didn’t but you never know.”

I sent the bus to the airport to meet Dad and Mom at 5:30. Mom had prepared a lasagna for dinner. The whole house smelled Italian.

“Carlo, it’s pass 6 and the kids are hungry.”

“Mom, feed them in the kitchen. We can wait for Tony and Rita. Just hold off on dessert, they can have that with all of us.” I followed Mom back into the kitchen.

“Dad, can we eat? We’re hungry.”

“Sure princess, Gram will fix your plates. Smells good right.”

The smiles answered that question. Mom set a pan on the table, she took a spatula and filled their plates. There was our usual salad and fruit on the tables as well. “Eat some salad and a little fruit, this is hot and I don’t want you to burn your tongue. Mac, I’ll leave the pan here, you all can eat as much as you want.”

“Smells good Mom.”

“Do you want a taste. handing me a fork with a little pasta on it.” What could I do, I had to taste it. It was oh so good. I gave Mom a hug and a kiss.

The kids giggled at my face when I tasted the lasagna. “Wait till you taste it, I’m going to come back and take your pictures.”

It was 6:30 when the bus pulled up in front of the house. I went to the door followed by Puppy and a few guys. They went and got the luggage, but there were four people in the bus, I saw Tony and Rita get out. I couldn’t believe my eyes, Nick and I guess who was his son. I ran down the steps and grabbed Nick in a hug. “Nick, I thought I'd never see you again. I’m so glad Dad brought you. I take this is the silent son.”

“Carlo, we didn’t have a chance. Tony came into my cafe, posted a sign which said close for repairs. Took me home, made me packed a suitcase for my self and Billy, once that was done, we were on the plane and here we are.”

“Nick I’m so glad you are here. Billy, the man behind the kitchen wall, I’m very glad to meet you. We always called you the mystery man. Now, I can put a face to that mystery man.”

“Billy just smiled, later Puppy told me he was at a mental level of a 12 year old, but he can function in society.”

“What will happen to him if something happens to Nick?”

“He'll probably be put into some institution.”

“No, Nick has always treated me with kindness as well as other students. Billy will live with us.”

Tony heard me, he just smiled. “Dinner is ready come on guys. Nick, if you want to freshen up a little, there's a powder room right there.”

He took Billy by the hand and they went to freshen up. “Gio, bring them into the dining room when they come out.”

Mom brought two hotel pans of lasagna into the dining room and place them on the side board. Troy brought in a large salad bowl followed by David with a bowl of mixed diced fruit. Gio brought Nick and Billy, I showed them to their seat. The table was full, family and boys from the base. “Tony, want to make a bet those pans of lasagna will go back to the kitchen empty?”

He looked around the table, “Are you crazy. I’ll bet that they'll be empty within 10 minutes.”

I started to laugh and said now you are crazy. I took the time to introduce Nick and Billy to the guys and of course the guys to them. Nick looked at me, “These guys are from the base?”

“Yes, they call this place their home away from home. After we are finished eating I’ll give you the grand tour.”

Tony was right, after the family and guests had filled their plates the guys hit it hard, of course Marcus went and cleaned out the kids pan as well. Man could that guy eat, he better have a farm when he goes back, if he goes back.

When it was time for dessert, I suggested we have it at the pool. I took Billy by the hand, and my arm around Nick, I led them to the pool area. “Carlo, Tony told me what you had done to the house, but I can’t believe this. Its like a tropical island with the huts. Is that a fish tank?”

“Yes, it's a fish tank. One of the security personnel had a degree in marine biology he built that tank for us. In fact, you'll see a lot of his pictures on the walls.”

“And the huts?”

“We have permanent guests, my mom and dad have one, Tony and Rita have one, the others are for some of my relatives and guests like you and Billy. Although there are 10 bedrooms in the house, sometimes my guests like a little a place of their own. I think you are in bedroom in the house. Tomorrow I’ll give you the grand tour. I’m so glad you are here. Does Billy swim?”

“Yes, he does. His mother and I signed him for swimming lessons when he was 8.”

“Great, you did bring swimming trunks?”

“Yes, your dad bought some.”

Come and sit at the table, here comes the dessert. “Billy, do you want a glass of milk like Carlos has or just water.” He pointed to the milk. Mom set a glass in front of him.

Dessert was a big chocolate cake with ice cream filling. My cooks are getting better everyday. The cake was delicious. “Carlos, if you don’t want your cake I’ll eat it.” He looked like I was crazy to say that.

“Pop, you do know that is fattening and it looks like you have gained a few pounds. I probably should eat that for you.”

I started to laugh, I took a couple of bites and passed it to him. Do you think he felt any remorse taking my dessert, nope he promptly ate it.

I got a hug from him for it. I was surprised as all the kids gave me a hug and then Billy got up and hugged me as well. “Thank you Billy.” I hugged him back and gave him kiss on his cheek. He looked at his dad with a big smile on his face. Yes,Billy will fit in.

We sat around and talked, drinking tea or coffee. The kids had lemonade that Mom fixed for them. Rita brought us up to date on the resorts, Chet and the pregnancy. “He acts like he's the cock of the walk.”

“We can’t wait to see them. I think we'll fly there towards the end of summer. Joe and Roy have been appointed guardians of twins. So we want to see them as well.”

“Let me know when you are coming and I’ll meet you there. We can relive that first massage.”

“No.”

I looked at Tony, “You have my son, leave my wife alone.” That set Puppy and I off. I was laughing so hard their were tears in my eyes. Billy saw this and came over and patted my back. This man couldn’t have wormed his way into my heart any further. I'll fight tooth and nail to have him here if anything happened to Nick.

“Carlos, do you know which rooms, Nick and Billy have?”

“Yes, I can show you or them.”

 

“I hate to break up the party but I have to get up early to fix someone’s breakfast.”

“I thought you have cooks. Why do you have to fix breakfast?”

“From my loving hands to my love’s stomach, that's my job. So good night, Nick if you follow Carlos he can show you your rooms when you're ready. There is only one fixed time and that's dinner at 6. When you wake, breakfast and lunch will be served by anyone in the kitchen, or you can not be guest but family, and serve yourselves.”

I took Puppy by the hand and headed to our bedroom. We were back into our routine, shower with fringe benefits and then to bed with more fringe benefits. It always amazes me as soon as Puppy’s head hits my chest he is asleep.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

21 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Awesome chapter. The family continues to grow 

Carlo and Puppy have an open heart. they can't refuse anyone.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, Gomez Stanley C said:

Thanks for another great chapter.  Billy will fit in when the time comes.

I'm not sure about that. People that share Billy's condition, tend to feel uncomfortable when their environment changes. Billy likes Carlo, and he's a joy to have around. The innocences of youth, for Billy, needs to be protected.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter, and the family grows some more, 

Carlo and Puppy are very lucky to have so many people accepting of them. For them its luck but the sad part, it shouldn't be luck. It should be normal. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

That was an awesome move by Tony to bring Nick and Billy

Yes, but I'm sure the guys will enjoy having Billy and Nick around.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..