Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,638 Words
  • 1,391 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Home Away From Home - 23. Chapter 23

I gave Dad his keys, “I backed it in.” It looked like everyone was ready to go. Rita said something to Mom and Mom shook her head yes. I knew those two were up to something.

When we got to the apartment, Doug said he’d see us in the morning to run with us. “7” he nodded and left. Tony went into the study with my lamp and hooked it up. “I’m a little embarrassed every time I come in here.”

“Don’t be Tony. Once the water has gone over the dam, there is no way to get it back. I think we have come to a better understanding and we should leave at that. I still consider you my dad.”

Tony isn’t all that demonstrative with me or Anthony, for that matter, but I got a hug. “I want to talk about Doug. I’m afraid to leave you solely on your own. If anyone figures out who Anthony really is, there will be a great temptation for a kidnap. Carlo, I am, thanks for my consultancy and construction industry, known the world over. I’m a very rich man as well as Rita. I don’t know how much you know, but Rita’s dad was a very wealthy investor. He invested in several industries, of which major construction was one. When the economy dipped, his partners wanted out, so he bought them out. One of the companies he bought was were I worked. He promoted me, based on the previous owners recommendation, to head that company and a position of Director on his Board. I was the youngest Director at the age of 25. I met Rita and the rest was history. Her father taught me everything I didn’t know. When he died, he left the resort to Rita, exclusively and divided all of the other business between her brother and me except for the consultancy. To balance out, he left her brother several large hotels in California and New York. I was happy with the way things worked out. We have a close knit family, that you are now part of. I need to make sure nothing upsets this family, ergo Doug. Doug is not what he seems. Why are you laughing?”

“I thought Doug was an eating machine.”

“Yes, he does like his food and especially your moms. Back to what I was saying. Doug is a trained Navy Seal. He has been trained in espionage as well. He’s here to protect you and Ants. He’s always around, although you may never see him. I’ll give you an example. Ants told you about the fraternities approaching him. He didn’t tell you about Doug’s role because he didn’t know and must never know. Doug talked to each fraternity and told them hands off as far as Ants was concerned. If Ants would have attend one of their parties, that fraternity would no longer exist. Not because of anything dangerous, they would have their charter revoked by the administration. You’re good for Ants. You are level headed, you love him, every one sees that. Doug will be around and you don’t need a car.”

“I didn’t want a car.”

“I know.”

“Where’s he going to stay? Here?”

“No, I think he’s going to board with your parents. They are at risk as well. And before you ask, Doug isn’t the only one. You just need to be concerned with Doug. What’s the matter?”

“My parents aren’t rich, they make do as Mom says. Doug will eat them out of home and what else. I’m not in position to financially help them. I am sure tonight’s dinner is this weeks food money. They will give you the clothes off their back if you ask them. They are proud people and would never ask for anything. Ask Anthony what happened when I sent him into the kitchen with a special cheese my mother likes. He never came out until dinner time. He’s son number one and I’m two. If Doug stays there, he'll be 2 and I'll be son number three.”

Tony broke down and laughed so hard I thought he was going to pee his pants. “Tomorrow, Rita is going to talk to your mom. I’m sure Doug will be welcome there and we’ll see that the larder never goes empty. All you need to do, when Rita comes back, is to go shopping with her to get that larder stocked.”

“I'd die if anything happened to them. I’m glad you’re providing some cover. But Dad goes to work, they could get him there.”

“No, because his partner is one of us.” I was thinking Jimmy was his partner. I remember when I came back and we were talking in the garden, he mentioned he had a new partner.

“Your kind of sneaky aren’t you? But I’m glad you are. But if Doug is watching over Mom who is watching over Anthony.”

“When you start school on Monday, you’ll meet a new kid called Larry. He’ll introduce you to his boyfriend, David. Need I say more?”

“Nope, I’m assuming they have an apartment here”

“You haven’t met your neighbors in Apt. A have you?”

“No but I will soon. Are you sure you want keep this from Anthony. I don’t like keeping secrets from him. I think he should be told and either I do it or you. I don’t want this strain on our relationship. Please tell him.”

“I told you what he would say.”

“Rita, how much of this have you heard.”

“All of it, Tony and I discussed this last night.”

“OK, I’ll tell him what I told you. You can discuss it with him tonight and then don’t say anything else about it. OK?”

“Yes, I think that’s best.”

“Carlo, I need you to make out a shopping list for your mother.”

Thinking as I put the list together, Doug is definitely going to have to runs marathons. The list was quite extensive. “Rita, you’ll find all of these items in an Italian market. There is one at this address. It’s a little upscale, but the food is fresh and good. I might take my personal Italian chef there.”

“What are these?”

“Pine nuts. Also get fresh herbs. Dad grows some in his garden but what Mom doesn’t need they can come here. I expect to have a fresh taste of Italian dishes and dish now and then.”

“Dish?”

I blushed and she knew the answer and started to laugh. Tony looked perplexed. “I’ll tell you tonight and I might just show you.”

I started to laugh and had to run to the bathroom before I had an accident. “Why are you laughing?”

“Your mom asked me to put together a list of food my mother liked. I did and told her to get fresh herbs. My dad grew some so I told her to bring them here as I expect to have a fresh taste of Italian dishes and dish, now and then.”

“I don’t get it.”

“You are my Italian dish.” Have you ever watch someone coming to understand what you mean. Puppy’s smile began to grow and then he laughed out loud.

“So that was what she meant when she said she would tell him tonight and maybe show him.”

“Yes, we can tease him tomorrow.”

“Ok, Dad wants to talk to me.”

I sat in the kitchen with Rita having a cup of tea, we were listening. “That’s not fair.”

That was Anthony. “Why.” that was Anthony. It would seem that Anthony was having a problem.

“Rita, what do you make of Puppy’s comments?”

“I’m a little surprised. He has always known that there have been people around to guard him. He know’s Doug’s job. So I’m surprised at his comments. I’m sure he must understand that you're to be protected as well.”

“Let’s wait. I know he’ll tell me just as sure as Tony will tell you. How about some more tea?”

It wasn’t long before they came out of the room. I had just poured our tea. Puppy came and set on my lap. “I’m sorry Carlo, I had hoped that all of this would go away?”

“What are you sorry about? I know there are crazy people out there that do crazy things. If this is what it takes to make sure you’re in my arms, then it’s ok. If left to me, you’d have an honor guard around you all the time.”

“But your mom and dad are part of this.”

“Yes, and anyone else that we get involved with. I wouldn’t be surprised if Chet isn’t covered in some way.” Looking at Tony, “ Do you have any hot girls on the payroll to cover Chet?”

Puppy started to laugh. “I can’t believe you are taking this so well. When I first found out, I pouted for several days until I read about a kidnapping on the TV. Then I was all for it.”

“Are you ok now?”

“Yes, as long as you are.” For that he got a kiss.

“Well, folks, 7 am running . Oh, Doug will be joining us. He wants us to get ready for a marathon. Let’s go Puppy, you need your sleep.”

Puppy didn’t go to sleep right away, he needed to relax, so I gave him a cool place to put his bundle of nerves so he could relax. I’m not sure if I prefer to be the pitcher or catcher. Maybe after a few years I’ll find the answer. But right now I’m playing catcher. Soon the game was over and the pitcher fell asleep. I just let him sleep on my back, I reached back grabbed the sheet and pulled it over us. That was exactly the way we found ourselves when the alarm went off.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 11
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm sure everything will be OK but it is a little unnerving that there maybe people around that mean you harm

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

I'm sure everything will be OK but it is a little unnerving that there maybe people around that mean you harm

Yes, But it appears that Ants is aware of the need.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

We're learning alot more about Rita and Tony and the protection that is in place for Carlo and Anthony.

Yes, and I'm assuming there is a good reason for it.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
29 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

We're learning alot more about Rita and Tony and the protection that is in place for Carlo and Anthony.

I'm glad that Tony is on top of this.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Great to see that the family is definitely getting protection, at least they are aware of it and will comply with most recommendations

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Having lots of money is enabling, but it also means you can't let your guard down.  Living in a security bubble would suck for me.  I'm glad Ants and Carlo are ok with it. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
9 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great to see that the family is definitely getting protection, at least they are aware of it and will comply with most recommendations

Tony must know that the possibility of harm could occur from experience

  • Like 3
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Daddydavek said:

Having lots of money is enabling, but it also means you can't let your guard down.  Living in a security bubble would suck for me.  I'm glad Ants and Carlo are ok with it. 

I agree I wouldn't like it either.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..