Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,710 Words
  • 2,071 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Home Away From Home - 20. Chapter 20

“I’m quite pleased how this room turned out. Tony is going to be surprised. I don’t think he liked my idea originally, maybe he’ll like it now.” I went and got my books and placed them in the book case along with Anthony’s. It was getting too look like study. “Doug, where there any lamps in that room?”

“What kind? Floor lamps or desk lamps.”

“A desk lamp, like the kind they used in libraries.”

“I don’t recall seeing any, but you got the keys go look.”

I unpacked our suitcases, put the clean clothes in the drawers and closet. I took all of our dirty clothes and started the clothes washer. The empty suitcases, I placed in the closet on a shelf.

The door opened and Anthony came in. I looked at the clock, “You’re home early. The orientation is to last till 6 and it is only 5.”

“There was a cocktail party for parents from 5 till 6. My cocktail is here, so I came home.”

“Hello Anthony.”

“Anthony's faced turned red, “That’s ok Puppy, I’m sure Doug has figured it all out by now.” I took him into my arms.

“What is that smell? Are you cleaning?”

“Yes, as a matter of fact I have been cleaning all day. This place was really dirty. Come and I’ll show you my cleaning.” I took him to the study. His eyes couldn’t believe it.

“Where did all this furniture come from?”

“It was a contribution but I had to clean it and Doug helped a lot.” Anthony sat down in one of the chairs, wiggled a little and nodded his head in approval.”

“What is it with you guys, you both sit in the chair and wiggle and then state it’s good. What does the wiggle have to do whether the chair is comfortable or not?”

“Try it and you’ll see.” We watched Doug sit in the chair. “Now wiggle.”

“I’ll be damn, wiggling helps the chair to fit your ass.”

“Are those my books?”

“Yes, and mine as well. What’s a study without books.”

“Wait till dad sees this. He was saying we didn’t need this, we could use the kitchen table.”

“We should play a trick on him. I’m going to tell him I went on the street and picked up the furniture. I cleaned it up and now I have a study. What do you think he’ll say?”

“I’m not sure.”

“Doug, play along with this. I was going to pay for the table and two chairs, but not this good. Let’s get the coffee ready in case he grumps about this.”

“You know he’s funny. He'll spend money on vacations, on gadgets and clothes. But sometimes, he just sets his foot down and won’t move.”

“Well, he hasn’t met the three musketeers.”

“Who are the three musketeers?”

“You, Doug and I.”

“Doug, are you sure about hooking up with us?”

“Yep, your mom will save me.”

“That is true Carlo.”

“What is your dad going to say when you want a car?”

“He'll say no, Mom will say she needs a new car and then I’ll get her old car.”

“That poor man.”

“Who is a poor man?”

“The man whose wife knows him like a book.” While I said this I see him looking around the study.

“Where did this furniture come from?”

“Well, after this morning’s discussion, I walked along a few streets looking for used furniture. One guy offered me this table for sex, until his wife heard, then I got the table for nothing. The chairs came from someone’s porch, they were very dirty, Doug helped me clean them. The bookcase one of the neighbors on a lower floor asked me if I could help her throw it out, instead I helped her put it in the elevator and Doug helped me bring it in here. I think I did pretty good. Now I need a desk lamp and I have my eye on one at the library. The librarian is a friend and I think she said they had an old one that needed rewired. So what do you think?”

“It makes a nice room to study in, don’t you think so Dad?”

He just looked at me, then Doug. “Oh, I bought a coffee machine just for you so please don’t get mad at me for stealing the chairs. They were just too good to leave outdoors. Would you like some coffee?”

Rita is a smart woman. She knows that everything I said was a line of bull shit. She just played along. “Oh god Carlo, I hope no one saw you. If they called the police, you would lose everything.”

“He wouldn’t lose everything Mom, he’d still have me. We could run away if the cops came. Carlo means more to me than my education.” Now that was really pouring it on. Normally Tony would call it all bullshit but he just came back from a cocktail party and he wasn’t to steady on his feet.

Rita played right into the role. “Doug, bring the car around and let’s see if we can get these chairs back to that porch.”

“Rita, you can’t do that. If they catch you, they’ll think you stole them.” Doug indicated his watch. “Look Doug and I will case the neighbor hood. You think of a way to get them back. We’ll be right back.”

We hurried to the cafe, “I thought you weren’t coming.”

“We wouldn’t do that to you Nick. We got tied up. How much do I owe you?”

“Nothing Carlo, this is left over soup.”

“Nick, I scored a full scholarship, I worked this summer at a resort making some good money. You always have been kind and fed me when I was hungry and short on cash. Now here take this, it’s a small dent on what I and probably have the student body owe you. Let’s scoot Doug.”

“Why did you want to leave in a hurry?”

“I gave him a hundred, I must owe him at least 500 hundred. He’ll chase me to give it back to me. Look” We no sooner step inside the apartment building when we saw Nick running up the street.

When we arrived at the apartment, I put the pot on the stove. It was still warm. Anthony indicated we should move to our bedroom. When Tony was talking to Rita, we slipped behind him to the bedroom. “Where did you go?”

“We had lunch at a local cafe. They make a great soup, asked Doug he ate two bowls. The man has a heart of gold, if you’re hungry and don’t have the money, he feeds you, says he’ll put it on your tab. But there isn’t a tab. So that pot we brought is filled with chicken soup for dinner tonight. So what’s happening here?”

“Dad feels bad, he thinks you really stole that furniture.”

“I think we had our fun, I’m going to tell him the truth.”

“How’s the coffee, Dad ?”

“It tastes great Carlo. How did you know I liked this brand and the french coffee press.”

“Doug told me when we were bring the furniture up from the basement storage. So after we brought everything up, we went to get cleaners, coffee and the french coffee press.” I think the coffee began to clear the cobwebs.

“So you didn’t steal the furniture.”

“No, only from you since it came from the basement storage area.”

“I don’t know why I was against turning that room Into a study. Money wasn’t the issue. Maybe, I thought since you knew I had money, it would be like a run on the bank.”

“If you ever thought that of me again, I’ll sever my relationship with you, scholarship or not. I was brought up better than that. All I wanted was your approval to use the room, I was willing to pay for everything in that room. I can’t believe you thought so little of me, particularly since you had me vetted.”

I never mentioned that I knew about the investigation into my past. I saw Rita’s eyes get big as she realized that the only source had to be Chet. “Anthony told me you had me vetted. He also read the reports. That's why he was so anxious to secure our relationship, knowing that and how I felt about Anthony, I caved and I’m glad I did.”

“I think I need to lay down for a while. Puppy, you can heat up the soup and if there’s still some Italian food from my mom in the refrigerator, heat that as well as some of your sauce.”

Puppy came in. “Are you ok? Do you still love me?”

“I’ll be ok and you don’t ever have to worry about me loving you. I’ll love you to my grave and even beyond. I get very sensitive when my honesty or character is questioned. I’m a good and honest man. I never have taken advantage of anyone and I never will. I’ll do without before I take advantage of someone or steal. That would shame my mother and father, and in the process kill me. I put you in the same category. I love you Puppy and always will.”

“I’ll be back as soon as I fix them something to eat.”

I laid there for a few more minutes, as I laid there I became more angry. I have tried all my life to live to the high standard of my parents. They showed me what an honest man was and even though they didn’t have a lot of money, they sacrificed for me. This would kill them, if someone thought I was taking advantage of them.

I turned over and buried my face in my pillow. I felt someone rubbing my back. “I’ll be ok Puppy. Go back and be a good host for you family and Doug.”

“This isn’t Puppy.”

“I’m sorry Rita. You have been very kind to me and I appreciate it. I’m glad that I met Anthony, he’s my life. And I’m glad that he read my file. I have no problem being vetted, my record and past are clean. I have nothing to hide, except I’m gay.”

“I know. Tony has been having some work related problems lately and is just tightly wired. He really feels bad and needs your forgiveness.”

“Then he should ask for it not you. There’s nothing to forgive you for.”

“Come out to the kitchen.”

“I will. I just need to wash my face.”

I went and washed my face. Walking into the kitchen,“Doug, did you save me any soup?

“No, but Anthony did”

“Thanks babe.”

“Did Anthony tell you he's my mother’s number one son? She showed him how to make sauce and my dad, who has eaten my mother’s sauce for over 20 years, couldn’t tell them apart.”

A very quiet, “Carlo, I apologize for what I said about using the kitchen table instead of converting the office to a study and commenting about where the furniture came from. Lately, I’ve been under a lot pressure. I wasn’t thinking clearly when I said that to you.”

“Tony, I accept your apology. I consider you like a father. I want to be close to you, just, please don’t judge me.” I got up from my chair, went to Tony and gave him a hug. “Don’t get excited, it’s your son I’m in love with but I’ll give you an allotment of hugs.”

Rita started to laugh. “I wish I had a picture of your face Tony. You look like someone just blew in your ear. Are you embarrassed?”

“No, I’m honored to have Carlo as my son-in-law.”

I smiled and winked at Puppy. He was smiling as well. I noticed Rita watching me. “What? I didn’t blow in his ear, although next time I just might.”

Puppy put out the leftover pasta dishes, Rita helped to heat them up while I ate my soup. I listened to Doug telling Tony about Nick, his cafe and the food. Him chasing us because we paid too much for his soup. Tony looked at me, “How much do you owe him?”

“I don’t know, I need to check my book. He always said he'd put it on my tab. When I had some money and asked for my tab, it was in his office and he was too busy to get it. He helped more kids than me. To my knowledge, no one went in there and left without at least a bowl of soup.”

“Does he run the place by himself?”

“I don’t know. I know his wife died about 10 years ago. I saw her picture in the cafe once and he told me she had died. Never found out what she died from. I think he has a son who cooks and helps out in the back. I’ve never seen him. A lot of information are rumors. All I know, if I was hungry and didn’t have any money, I could get a bowl of soup.”

“How much does he charge for a bowl of soup?”

“I don’t really know. What ever money I had, I’d give it to him.”

“How much did you give him for that pot of soup?”

“I rolled up a hundred dollar bill inside a five note. So he saw a five, I told Doug we had to move fast because I knew he’d chase me to give it back. We just made it into the building when we saw him running by.”

“How are you going to get the pot back to him?

“You’re going to take it. It’s your penance and while you’re there, order a pastrami sandwich.”

Rita and Anthony laughed but I knew Doug would go with him.

I decided to eat a little pasta, “Puppy, which one has your sauce?”

He pointed to the spaghetti, “Mom, can you put a little bit of spaghetti on my plate? Thanks.”

I saw that Puppy was watching me. And he was right, there was no way I could tell the difference. I gave him the thumbs up and his grin stretched from ear to ear. He’s so like a puppy, a little praise, which is always deserve, and he reacts with a big smile. I am so lucky.

After dinner Doug had to leave. “We’ll see you tomorrow Doug. I may be going home to pick up some more clothes. If you’re here, I’d appreciate you coming.”

“Will your mother be cooking?”

“Doug, she lives in that kitchen. Rita, Tony if you are here maybe you could come and meet my parents. You can stay for lunch. At my house, lunch is like dinner. I know they would like to meet you. Puppy, what time do you finish tomorrow?”

“I have a seminar and then a meeting with my advisor, then I should be done. I’ll probably be here about 3.”

“I’ll call Mom and tell her we’ll be there for dinner. I know she’ll be glad to meet the parents of her No.1 son. Oh, we run at 7 till 8:30. Then breakfast and Puppy is off to school.”

“When do your classes start?”

“Next week, they always start the freshman classes one week earlier, less confusion.”

“It has been a little tough today so if you don’t mind I’m going to turn in. Doug, will see you tomorrow. Rita, Tony, I made your bed but haven’t unpacked your bags. Fresh towels in the bathroom. I’ll see you in the morning. Be ready to run.”

I went and took a hot shower, totally relaxing, what a day. I hope tomorrow is better. I slip in bed and soon fell asleep. The next thing I felt was someone cuddling up to me. Sleepy I said, “If you aren’t my Puppy better get out.”

I got a lick on my face and I knew it was my Puppy. It seems crazy to refer to Anthony as Puppy but that little scenario in the office that day sealed it for me. I felt someone snuggle into my body, pulled my arm over him and I heard a sigh. Then total quiet.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

9 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. Carlo and Puppy are good together. Tony really upset Carlo.

He questioned his integrity, I'd be upset as well. Too much alcohol plus work issues always triggers poor judgement, aka Tony

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Great chapter, that Carlo stood his ground I am glad., I think when he joins Tony's business he will be a worthy match to him

  • Like 4
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, that Carlo stood his ground I am glad., I think when he joins Tony's business he will be a worthy match to him

Yes, he has a little grit, as they say 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Great chapter.Make sure Tony doesn't have a cocktail before meeting Carlo's parents.I'm going to take a guess but I can see Rita or Tony doing something to help Nick.

Edited by weinerdog
  • Like 2
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

Great chapter.Make sure Tony doesn't have a cocktail before meeting Carl's parents.I'm going to take a guess but I can see Rita or Tony doing something to help Nick.

You might be right, wouldn't put it past them.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I liked that Carlo was able to pay back at least some of what he thought he owed Nick!  Tony better try the pastrami or he will miss out. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Daddydavek said:

I liked that Carlo was able to pay back at least some of what he thought he owed Nick!  Tony better try the pastrami or he will miss out. 

That is one of my favorite sandwiches, but not all pastrami is the same.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..