Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 3,294 Words
  • 1,400 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Home Away From Home - 37. Chapter 37

Morning always seems to come early when you want to stay in bed. However, if it isn’t the alarm clock, it's mother nature that wakes you. I took a quick shower, shaved, brushed my teeth, dressed gave Puppy a kiss and headed to the kitchen. I won’t see Puppy until tomorrow morning and I’ll miss him. Dan had my breakfast on the plane along with my tea. Once we were airborne, Dan came and sat next to me.”

“Can we talk?”

“Sure what's on your mind.”

“Charles and I had a long talk last night. We want to get married.”

“That's fantastic, so why is there a problem?”

“It isn’t legal in the US for two guys to marry, I know you went to Amsterdam and I wondered if you and Puppy would come with us when we decided to go and get married.”

“Dan, I’m so happy for you and Charles. Puppy and I will be glad to go with you.”

“I bought a wedding wing when I was in Japan. It's two circles, wait I’ll show you.”

“Dan, this is a beautiful ring. The intertwined white and yellow gold truly represents two hearts tied together. He will love it.”

“He needs to buy a ring also, so could he go with you when you fly to buy a ring.”

“Absolutely, I’ll plan on him going on the next trip. We need to explain our billing to the new client. He can do that very well.”

It was good to see Dan smile and being excited. He was dealt a rotten hand by his first love but he is now way better off. We finished our business and I headed home tired.

“Was the client excited by the land and proposed construction plans.”

“Yes, I don’t think he fully visualized the project until he saw the land. Once he saw that, he realized that the building fits the contour of the land and he was all for it.”

Soon we were approaching home, Dan cleaned up the cabin, sat beside me as we landed. Our pilots lower the stairs, Dan stayed with them as they cleaned the plane and made sure it was secured.

When I got home the kids were still up. They wanted to see you before they went to bed. “Hey guys. Did you miss me?”

“Pop we wanted to show you our report cards.” I sat down on the sofa, they climbed on the sofa except Tony, he climbed on my lap.

“Ok who's first?”

Tony pulled out his card and it was all pluses. “Tony, that's great. I think you deserve some ice cream with chocolate sauce for such a good report card. Who's next?” Tony got off my lap and headed for the kitchen where Ed was prepared to dish out the ice cream. Maria crawled up on my lap. She's very pretty, in my eyes anyway, she gave me her card and it was marked all 1’s. “That's a beautiful card, Maria. I think you deserve some ice cream as well. Ok big brother, let’s see your card.” Carlos had all A’s and a comment from his teacher that said he excelled in math, didn’t miss a single problem this marking period. “Your teacher says you're a math wizard. I think you may have a career as an engineer. Engineers need to be sharp in math. But this is a very good report card. I’m very proud of you, now go get your ice cream and then round up your brother and sister and head to bed. I’ll be up to tuck you in.”

“They did good in school. I told them you would be proud of them.”

“I am proud of them. When you consider where they were before we took them in, it’s almost a miracle.”

“A miracle of love.”

“Yes, definitely, and not only from Puppy and I, but all you guys as well. All of you are their uncles, if you don’t believe me ask them.”

I grabbed ‘Peter Pan’ that was the book I'll read to them tonight. I had placed a big stuffed chair in the boys room and when I was home, I'd read to them. When I wasn’t and if Puppy was home. he would, otherwise one of the guys would do it. Tonight, I would do it. It takes two nights at least for a book. They always fall asleep before a new book is finish.

When I got to the boys room they were in their pajamas, bottoms only. They saw one of the guys sleeping like that and now they do also. I sat in the chair and waited for the princess. She had a nightgown that my mom had bought her. It was light cotton and looked cool. Her seat was on my lap, and I had a boy on each side. I was in heaven. I began to read and I noticed Tony drifting off, Maria was second and at that point I stopped. Carlos helped Tony to bed and I carried Maria to her bed. I came back and kissed each boy on the forehead, turned off the big light, leaving the night light on.

When I went downstairs, “How much of the book did you get read?”

“About a third.”

“It will take you 2 more night to finish at that rate.”

“Depends how tired they are. I really enjoy reading to them. It won’t be long before they will be too old to read too and tuck in bed. I don’t think I’ll like that, but hey, that’s life. Can’t keep them young for ever.”

Puppy came home that morning and went straight to bed after a good massage. Working a 24 really tires him out. He doesn’t get much sleep and what he does get is usually interrupted. So after he takes a shower, I give him a massage in bed, he falls into a deep sleep and has at least 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep. I can’t wait till this internship is over. Then we'll have a more normal life style.

The next few weeks were not as busy for me. Most of the work was done at home. Having a home office really helped. We shopped at the PX, seems like our security liked a beer now and then. When the plane flew, Dan always brought home food as well. David was getting quite good as our cook and the last time Mom was here she taught David how to make a few Italian dishes. They were good, but not as good as Puppy’s cooking. I’m a little prejudice.

At dinner that evening, with everyone there, including Tom and Jerry our pilots, “I received a letter from Vic. He's doing quite well and Dad has a new project that he's working on. He seemed happy.”

“That is cause your mom has fixed him up with Nancy.” They laughed because they knew about my mom. “Ed you better be careful, your next.”

“Yea, I saw my mom checking you out and I have a lot of cousins. Dad has decided to do some social work. He bought several run down properties in a poor neighborhood. He's planning on tearing the old houses down and building a new house for Vic and a youth center for him to run. Dad said that many of the houses slated for destruction held local gangs and were dope houses.”

“That will cause a big uproar among the gangs. Vic will need to be careful.”

“I don’t know who Dad has contact with in the government, according to Vic he has arranged for the gang leaders to be inducted into the service.”

“That will straighten them out real quick or they'll be sitting in the brig.”

“Did Vic say how he feels about this?”

“He said that he and Nancy our looking forward to it. He feels that he'll be good at it and looks forward to it.”

“Wait a minute, you said he and Nancy.”

“Yea, I was wondering if you got that. Their wedding is next June.”

“See Ed, his mom has struck again. You may not have known it, but you were not only hired as security but also as a potential husband for Carlo’s cousins.”

“Well, if they look like Clair or Nancy, I won’t complain.”

They all laughed and the single guys nodded as in agreement. I thought of my cousins, not all of them were blue eyed blondes. I had some who have the southern Italian influence, dark hair and dark eyes. I wonder who Mom has picked for Ed and I knew she would. Next to cooking, my mom loved to play cupid.

Without visitors, our life settled into a routine, Puppy posted his hospital schedule, discounting emergencies, on the refrigerator door. I had Carlos post the school’s schedule as well. The only thing that I could not predict were my flights and the flights we did for the base brass. There was one emergency flight, we were asked to fly a soldier back to the States, his mother was critical and not expected to live. They asked me if I would do it, I agreed. Who wouldn’t agree under such circumstances. Later Dan said all the poor guy talked about was he hoped to be able to see his mother before she passed away. We went back to pick him up two weeks later. He did have a chance to spend time with his mother, she was glad to see him and passed away in her sleep with him beside her. His dad had been dead for several years, she was the only family he had. On the way home, Dan said he had tears in his eyes but there was a peaceful expression on his face.

About a week later, Captain Johnson from the base came to the house. He wanted to personally to thank me for flying the young man home. We sat and talked, he had a cup of coffee and I had my tea. He told me that the man prior to the flight was becoming a nervous wreck and was making a lot of errors. When he asked him what was happening, the man broke down and told him. “I could only think of one person who could see that he got home in time. I want you know that I appreciated what you did. I lost both my parents when I was assigned to Europe, I didn’t get to say goodbye and it bothers me to this day. So I appreciated what you did for us.”

“Captain, I was glad to help. The plane’s steward said he worried on the flight over that he would be to late. Turned out he wasn’t and he had the opportunity for closure. Not every one is that lucky, but if I can help to ease a person’s mind, I’ll do what I can.”

The Captain left and it was a few days later that the soldier came to thank me himself. We sat and talked for a few minutes. He said he couldn’t stay long. The Captain said he had 30 minutes and then to get back to the base. “Anytime you have a longer break or a few days leave, you're welcome here.”

Puppy put his arms around me, leaning his head on my shoulder, “We're more than just living here. We have adopted children, we have arranged for our friends to do what they like and now we are entertaining lonely men from the base. Our role in this community is expanding. I’ll bet we won’t need security very long, there will be guys from the base here all the time.”

I turned and gave Puppy a kiss. “I hope not too many, where would we put them all.”

“They can bring tents and set them up out back.”

It wasn’t more than a month when Captain Johnson called. He said that Al wanted him to call and see if he could spend his two day leave with us. I told the Captain he could but Al needs to call and ask himself. Al did call about a day later.

“Hi Al, nice to see you again.”

“Thanks for letting me stay with you Mr. Romano.”

“Al, in this house, there are no misters. I’m Carlo. Let me show you to your room and then we can chat out at the pool.”

“Thanks, but I’ll need to change. I’ll be down in a few minutes.”

When he came down he had a pair of shorts on and a t-shirt. I noticed that he was very fit. “You look very comfortable. Do you workout a lot?”

“There isn’t much for a single guy to do on the base. So when I’m off duty, I’m usually at the gym.”

“Well, it shows. You might want to join us for our morning run. Every morning at 7 we run a few miles and then hit the pool. Even when I’m not here, the group runs. Come on I’ll give you the tour. The kitchen is where we spend a lot of time. Do you drink coffee or tea?” Coffee was the answer. “Ok, you’ll find most of the guys here drink coffee. This is David, beside being on security duty, he's also our cook and the guy sitting next to him is Larry. They are married.” I looked for a reaction and there was none. “The guy drinking coffee is Ed, you may have seen him around the base. I think Andy, our other security guy is out at the pool. Grab a cup of coffee and follow me.”

As I introduced Al to all of the guys, they stood and shook hands with him, welcoming him to the house. He was quite surprised to see the pool with the built in fish tank. I showed him the pool house and the cabana.

“Why do you have a cabana? I only saw them at hotels where you could rent one to stay in instead of a room.”

“I give massages here. It provides a little shade and modesty for the one getting the massage.”

“I never had a massage.”

“Then we will have to correct that. Strip and lay face down on the table. I’ll get some oil.”

He did and looking at his ass I thought how he would make some gay guy think he was in heaven. “Al, I know that this is personal but are you straight or gay?”

“I like women so I guess I’m straight but there are times when a man will get me aroused. I’m not sure why.”

“Nothing to worry about, but two things will happen during the massage.” I started with his shoulders, “You'll fall asleep and you'll get hard.”

Sure enough as I worked his shoulders and neck muscles, he drifted off to a pleasant sleep. I continued to work his arms, his thighs, legs and feet. I could see he was hard. It always happens every first time and sometimes every time. I now start Ed on his back because he always falls asleep when I do his back.

I placed a sheet over Al and went to wash the oil off my hands. “I take it he’s asleep.”

“You know it happens every time for the first time. I try to make a massage relaxing and that's the purpose of a massage, work out the kinks, relax the muscles, which in the process results in the person falling asleep.”

“You give all the guys a massage, ever give a woman a massage.”

“Yes, and they also fall asleep. The problem is getting them off the table and into a bed or a safe place so they don’t fall off the table.”

“I think I want to learn how to give a massage.”

“You naughty boy.” We laughed walking back out to the pool. We decided to swim and since the kids were still in school, we swam naked. Ed had a nice body and was a nice guy. I wondered who my mom had selected for him. I knew she had. We swam and floated for a while when I heard, “Can anyone join?”

I looked up and there was Al in all his natural glory, he would be a lucky catch for whatever direction he finally swings. “Sure jump in. We only swim like this when the kids are in school or there are no ladies present. So come on. The water is great, but before you do, shower over there to get the oil off your back.” We watched as he ran to the showers.

“Who does he swing for?”

“I’m not sure if he knows. I think he may be bi in which case it will depend on who he's attracted to. But whoever, they will be a lucky person. I like him, he's sincere and open. More or less what you see is what you get. He’s only 19 and this is his first assignment. I have a feeling we'll see a lot of him. He has no one now that his mother is dead.”

Then a wall of water hit us as Al did a cannon ball in front of us. He came up laughing and we went to dunk him. It happened in front of the fish tank. When he came up, he looked at the tank, “You have a miniature ocean here.” And we did. Mario had created a minute ocean with coral and all.

He spent the next 30 minutes swimming in front of the fish tank. Ed and I watched him, he was a like a little boy who found a new toy. “This is fantastic. The guys at base will never believe this. They’ll think I was drunk or high, fantastic.” He had a big smile on his face.

For the two days Al stayed with us, he never left the pool except to eat and sleep. “If I could, I'd set up a tent here and sleep here.” We believed him. The day he had to go back to the base, “May I come again?”

“Yes, Al, you're always welcomed here. You don’t have to call, just show up. Think of this as your home away from the base.”

There were tears in his eyes as he left for base. “I think you just got yourself another son.”

“Maybe, but he's too old to adopt.” As it turned out Ed’s words were prophetic. Al spent every moment he was allowed off base at the house. I told Dad about him and he was pleased. He said it never hurt to make military friends. I wondered again about his connections.

For some routine can become boring, but for me routine was a relief. The house settled in and we acted as one big family. But we all knew what are assignments were and never lost sight of what we were all about. As we got older, our relationships deepened. We now considered ourselves brothers and those that left us considered this place home. We did see Doug and Clair as well as Vic and Nancy often through out the years. This is where they came on vacation. As they began to have children, the kids would ask when they were coming to see Uncle Carlo or Uncle Puppy. Yes, the family began calling Anthony Puppy. Except at work he was called Doctor Wyman.

Doug and Claire had 3 children , one boy and two girls. Vic and Nancy had one boy, no girls yet. I think they will only have boys, Vic is too male to have a female gene. Puppy and I always looked forward to seeing them.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

55 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. The family is well and truly expanding.

It looks like they can expect more boys from the base. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

The last two paragraphs sounded like an epilogue. Although I'm not ready to see HAFH end quite yet, are you planning on wrapping up soon, or are there still a few monkey wrenches (things that go boom?) to throw in? 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Great chapter, it seems that things we going well for now, I wonder when the next axe will fall

  • Like 1
Link to comment

On the plane Dan said to Carlo"It isn't legal in the U.S.for two guys to marry."Is this story set in a different time?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

The last two paragraphs sounded like an epilogue. Although I'm not ready to see HAFH end quite yet, are you planning on wrapping up soon, or are there still a few monkey wrenches (things that go boom?) to throw in? 

 

Do you really think I would leaving hanging there. There are several more chapters, thanks for reading.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, it seems that things we going well for now, I wonder when the next axe will fall

Maybe not, the boys deserve a little time without any threats 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Gomez Stanley C said:

What happened to Anthony? (the dog)  There has been no mention of him lately. He is a member of the family after all.   LOL

Oh Anthony, the dog,. is still there. Carlos wouldn't let anything happen to him.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, weinerdog said:

On the plane Dan said to Carlo"It isn't legal in the U.S.for two guys to marry."Is this story set in a different time?

Yes, it was before marriage became legal in the States. I think Holland was the first ton legalize it as a civil union.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..