By the way, Graeme is right about the ratio being out of control. Kevin's goal is to have a ratio of 1/7, or 0.142. Currently our ratio (before this post and view) is 174/1174, or 0.148. Not good! We're still green, but it's getting worse. We can't let the ratio drop below 0.142! To determine the ratio as I have, just divide the number of posts by the number of views. If you do it the other way around, then our threshold would be 7, and we would currently be at 6.75 (meaning we can't go over 7).

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Administrator
By the way, Graeme is right about the ratio being out of control. Kevin's goal is to have a ratio of 1/7, or 0.142. Currently our ratio (before this post and view) is 174/1174, or 0.148. Not good! We're still green, but it's getting worse. We can't let the ratio drop below 0.142! To determine the ratio as I have, just divide the number of posts by the number of views. If you do it the other way around, then our threshold would be 7, and we would currently be at 6.75 (meaning we can't go over 7).

I have a theory -- it's the spiders from the search engines. They scan the forum regularly and that adds to the view count. Since the posting rate of the thread has dropped considerably, these spider views are adding up.

I have a suggestion -- I think it is the story that is slowing down the thread. It seems to have taken over, but in the process has intimidated others from posting. It also sometimes forces people to go to previous pages to see where the story is currently up to -- also adding to the view count.

I have posted chapter 3 (so far) in the Sneak Peeks forum. I suggest anyone interested adds to the there story there, rather than here.

What do people think?

Well, I will admit the story was a bit scary. Ummm, how bout starting a new game with it called round robin or something? I mean it has to be fun and people are putting stuff in... Hmmm, chapter 3...

oh, was just curious :) (thinks about the I was here marker thing)

Spiders won't bring us down! Kill 'em all, as they said in one of the best movies of the 90s. But agreed, Graeme, the electronic arachnids amount for quite a lot in traffic. OK, I'll go on with the round robin in the sneak peek section. Let randomness start over to reach our goal.

• Site Administrator

Randomness? How about applied Chaos theory instead?

Can a quiet post from Australia cause an avalanche of posts from the other parts of the world? :P

I'll let that to more intelligent persons like Graeme and Bondwriter...

Why don't we continue conversation like we did at the start? It was cool.

So...? Hmm... Most beautiful thing in the world for you? Let's hear!

Ieshwar

• Site Administrator

The basic rule is that if you view the thread, you have to post a reply. The rest is just suggestions on how to keep the thread going. Originally, it was just holding a conversation, such as the first person making a comment, and others responding (like the question above about the most beautiful thing in the world), but a suggestion was made to do a round-robin story and it... er... sort of took over :D

The most beautiful thing in the world for me? That's an easy one: my two boys ;)

Outside of that, I think it would be peaceful scenery -- especially sunsets over water.

Most beautiful thing in the world hmm?

The woods, not only are they pretty (i've been in mostly tamed one so ...) there is just something about them. I get a sort of peace and yet at the same time I feel so playful and bouncy. hmmm...

Me, my weeping willow crying pink tears into the joyful bubbling lake. These tears, small planks caught in the playful grip of undines, swirl and dance their way to the sea witnessing and experiencing all the joys and sorrows the world has to give.

• Site Administrator
Me, my weeping willow crying pink tears into the joyful bubbling lake. These tears, small planks caught in the playful grip of undines, swirl and dance their way to the sea witnessing and experiencing all the joys and sorrows the world has to give.

I'm going to make a wild guess here and say that you like writing poetry.... :P

I'm going to make a wild guess here and say that you like writing poetry.... :P

only sometimes though you'd be lucky to get me to write it as poetry. I do best with descriptions usually then find myself lost as to where to go since I bog myself down in them. :) that's ok though.

• Site Administrator

That's okay. I'm not very good with description. I've noticed that authors that are also poets are typically the best with word choice -- I tend to end up using the same set of phrases over and over and over and over and over and over and... :D

I highly doubt especially from what I hear about you stories. Which reminds me.... I'll have to gear up and read a few. The reviews I've seen make me curious and then curiousity steals the driver's seat and runs away with my body leaving me far far behind stuck somewhere between confusion and shock.

I have been trapped in this string golden thread called magic.

because i'm curious and love randomness.

Children are pretty... but they are terrors on two legs at any age. *nods* I'm still a terror....

• Site Administrator
I highly doubt especially from what I hear about you stories. Which reminds me.... I'll have to gear up and read a few. The reviews I've seen make me curious and then curiousity steals the driver's seat and runs away with my body leaving me far far behind stuck somewhere between confusion and shock.

Putting false modesty aside, I know I can spin a tale. What I was talking about was the ability to give great descriptions. I have a few, I think, but I'm constantly in awe of those poets who write prose because their imagery is just so far beyond what I'm currently capable of doing.

I suspect it's because poets tend to have an expansive vocabulary. My vocab. isn't as broad -- hence my comment about tending to use the same phrases.

Putting false modesty aside, I know I can spin a tale. What I was talking about was the ability to give great descriptions. I have a few, I think, but I'm constantly in awe of those poets who write prose because their imagery is just so far beyond what I'm currently capable of doing.

I suspect it's because poets tend to have an expansive vocabulary. My vocab. isn't as broad -- hence my comment about tending to use the same phrases.

didn't seem that way to me when I read one of your stories. Light with some dark bittersweet chocolate and spongy just the way I like it. Maybe it's marble cake? I've never managed to get the light and dark portions right v.v always wanting to add more sweetness! Heart of the Tree is great! *nods and is sad it takes self so long to read new authors sigh....*

• Site Administrator

Now that's an interesting discussion -- how does one find new authors? There are so many out there, and I get so many recommendations, that it's hard to work out which to read....

How do other people handle this?

1. The most beautiful thing in the world for me is my boyfriend Doug. But I'm in love and prejudiced.

2. I've found some new authors on Nifty. Paul Schroder knows how to write really funny dialog and narrative, for example.

3. How are new authors invited to GA? Do we all do it, or ??

Colin B)

new authors.... is almost like bungee jumping. One step with a single thin cord wrapped around your ankle and the prayer that the ground is far enough to not go splat on....

That's my view on it...

• Site Administrator

Just as a side note, the post to view ratio of this thread is now worse than the target of 1:7. We need to pick up our game, people!