• Site Administrator
Sorry, I always say that I'm weird, and one of my weirdness's is that I like lots of things that are weird, including opera. And mosh pits at concerts. And Brussels sprouts :lol: !

And the weird stuff is...?

Anyway, this is NOT :off:

I don't think anything can be off topic in this thread :P

By the way, that story is the classic "self-fulfilling prophecy". The prophecy wouldn't have come true if the prophecy hadn't been made. It was only because it was made that the king acted the way he did, which set things up to allow the prophecy to come true.

Thanks for the story, Colin!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mixing of roman and greek names is confusing me... especially sincee the names also changed the gods slightly v.v sorry....

blushes

Blame the Roman/Greek name mashups as the opera librettist's way of simplifying the story for the audience of his day. Nowhere did I say that the opera is faithful to the myths; It sure isn't! But it's fun, and I particularly enjoyed that two principal characters, Oreste and Pylade, are gay and in love. Very cool! Chris and I joked around with my folks on the way home about how they were corrupting our young, impressionable minds by taking us to a gay opera. (We're both out to our folks.)

Colin B)

Blame the Roman/Greek name mashups as the opera librettist's way of simplifying the story for the audience of his day. Nowhere did I say that the opera is faithful to the myths; It sure isn't! But it's fun, and I particularly enjoyed that two principal characters, Oreste and Pylade, are gay and in love. Very cool! Chris and I joked around with my folks on the way home about how they were corrupting our young, impressionable minds by taking us to a gay opera. (We're both out to our folks.)

Colin B)

never been to an opera. ive been to see a symphony orchestra a few times, and a couple of plays, but never opera. dunno if i'd like it.

• Site Administrator

Thanks for the clarification (I have to say something, because I'm viewing the thread).

I think that Kevin's goal of a 1:7 post:view ratio looks shot. It can still be done if we post enough, but I think it is now very doubtful that it will be achieved... :(

Thanks for the clarification (I have to say something, because I'm viewing the thread).

I think that Kevin's goal of a 1:7 post:view ratio looks shot. It can still be done if we post enough, but I think it is now very doubtful that it will be achieved... :(

What is the current ratio?

Colin B)

• Site Administrator

It's just over the 1:7 ratio, but it doesn't seem to be improving. Remember, posting counts as two views (one to view and then one to view your posted comment), so that means that for each post were getting an average of five views without a post.

However, if it makes Kevin feel happier, the "Last Post Wins" thread is well under the 1:7 ratio, and looks like hitting 1000 posts well before this thread :D

It's just over the 1:7 ratio, but it doesn't seem to be improving. Remember, posting counts as two views (one to view and then one to view your posted comment), so that means that for each post were getting an average of five views without a post.

However, if it makes Kevin feel happier, the "Last Post Wins" thread is well under the 1:7 ratio, and looks like hitting 1000 posts well before this thread :D

I've been avoiding the second view by exiting directly back to Games and Humor using IE's down-arrow thingie just to the right of the forward nav button.

Colin B)

• Site Administrator
I've been avoiding the second view by exiting directly back to Games and Humor using IE's down-arrow thingie just to the right of the forward nav button.

Colin B)

You've lost me.

You need to view the thread before you can post a reply (one view).

When you post a reply, the software automatically shows another view of the thread, with the new post added (second view). You are implying you can add a post without it showing the new post afterwards -- how exactly do you do that? It's got nothing to do with the browser -- it's a function of the forum software.

You've lost me.

You need to view the thread before you can post a reply (one view).

When you post a reply, the software automatically shows another view of the thread, with the new post added (second view). You are implying you can add a post without it showing the new post afterwards -- how exactly do you do that? It's got nothing to do with the browser -- it's a function of the forum software.

If you back out to redisplay the topic, and do a refresh to see who else has posted at about the same time as your post, or if you have your browser set to do an automatic refresh, that counts as an additional view. That's what I skip, and I do a refresh at the forum level to see who did the last post. If it's not me, I might or might not go back to see that post, but usually I don't bother which is what I also do if I still have the last post.

Colin B)

rawr! Yeah actually I just woke up... at 3:15 in the afternoon. Gotta love summer. Um, I was supposed to be doing something.... something important... it was something to do with, um.... something important I guess. I blame you guys for distracting me. So now I'm gonna go and attempt to remember the something important that had to do with something important. :)

wanders in putters about, heres that we're under /cry/ wanders back out without saying much

I'd join you puttering about, but I left my putter in my locker at school, they cleaned them out, and donated my putter to Graeme. I guess you'll just have to put up with him puttering about and getting in everybody else's way. [sigh!]

And it was a nice putterer, too!

Colin B)

Well, I woke up at like 11 pm, stayed up til 9 am, then fell asleep again and woke up at 2 pm, 43 minutes ago. And Hawaii is awesome btw.

I figured another way of posting WITHOUT increasing the view count...just bookmark the reply window page and directly come here! Then after replying, use colinian's method...

colinian's method for Firefox users-- you can simply click the Reply button and when the page changes, close the tab.

BSK