Wildone in the hospital :(

Hi All,

Steve is officially out of the Trauma unit and settled into the Ortho unit. While the move didn't go all that smoothly (they did it right at shift change), he's in a room with a bit more space than what he had in Trauma. Hopefully, things will smooth out for him in this new ward.

As a final note, the one physiotherapist I spoke with today mentioned that she feels Steve is progressing very well and that he's even slightly exceeding expectations for someone with his injuries. He still has a long road ahead of him, but he's done very well to get to where he is now.

Just wanted to give you a bit of an update...

Steve had another surgery today on his left leg. Apparently they wanted to "scrub" in there really well (that sounds SO painful!!!) and then they put the vacuum dressing back on. The plastic surgery team decided to do this today, my sister, her other half and their 2 boys went up for a visit, and found him AND his bed missing! I talked to the unit clerk tonight and he's back in his room and "fine" The vacuum dressing was causing him pain after the last surgery, so I imagine he's going to have a rough night again. Not sure if they've put him back on fentanyl again, it works better than oxycontin for quick pain relief, but he suffers from hallucinations on it. (not bad, spiders attacking kind of hallucinations) but still they disturb him, as he can't trust what he's seeing.

He does have a phone in his room. The time difference here is 1 hour later than yours, in case you were planning to call. I can't say for sure, but most evenings he seems to get drowsy around 8pm (7pm your time) and dinner is usually between 5 and 6pm.

His laptop is on it's way up this week, as are his good glasses. At this time, the room he's in doesn't allow wireless, but if he wants to work offline, then one of us can take the laptop down the areas that have free wi-fi (kind of funny that hospitals offer free wi-fi! - how times have changed!) and be able to send and receive emails for him. (feel free to continue emailing through me as long as you like, or until he's fully "back on-line")

Steve,

I want you back online in time for the (much anticipated) Fall election. There's nothing like politics to get the fires going. It would be a total non-event without you! :D

Hang tough, dude! :2hands:

The good news is that Steve's surgery today didn't last nearly as long as anticipated. The not as good news is that he's going to be facing several more of these shorter, "clean up" surgeries over the next few days. He will be undergoing another surgery tomorrow for sure and possibly again on Sunday. The purpose of the surgeries is to "scrub" out the wound site regularly.

I spoke with Steve this evening, and considering what the past few days have been like for him, he is in good spirits. I do know that the continued support from family and friends means a lot to Steve, so once again, thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

Good Evening all.

Please forgive any typos in this post as I'm still receceving a farily good dose of percacept with Morphine for pain. Kinda makes you see double, and have fat figers.

Thanks to everyone who has popped into here and left wishes. My sister has been coming in and prininting off the comments and reading for me here in the hospital. A really big hug to Vivian for keeping in contact, and I wish so bad I could get into MSN to let you know that I miss you. Until I can figure how to breaddown a hospitall firewall, no chat for moi.

So it has been one month since I arrived here unexpectedidly, but very greatful to be alive. We have discontinued the surgery every second day this past week and things seem to be going our way for now. Our way is to beat a very nasty infection and be able to do a couple of skin grafts before a decesion has be be made on amputation, but were not discussing that word No expected day to get out, but still hoping for sooner now than later

Sorry, starting to tucker out here, so all my love to all of you and hope you are all doing okay.

Specail Hugz for Vivian.

Steve

Get someone to bring you in an amethyst crystal, the bigger the better, if there is risk of blood poisoning then red jasper and haematite to clean the blood of infection. Eat garlic, drink blueberry juice and lemon and above all keep positive. We are all thinking of you.

I talked to Steve tonight for a few minutes, and with his permission, I'm posting this message from him.

After many discussions and looking at the severity of the injury caused to my leg from the accident, things haven't worked in the nature we hoped for. Unfortunately, tomorrow, we will be amputating the left leg below the knee.

This amputation has nothing to do with the diabetes or the ability to heal, but more so the amputation is due to the accident, since the foot suffered multiple exposed fractures and was broken into more than 55 pieces. The feasibility of having a productive foot after many lengthy surgeries is not too promising.

With the amputation, I should be able to heal quicker, be fit with a prosthesis and be back to my regular self much sooner.

The past few days, including today, I have been internally and externally grieving the loss, but I do know it is the right decision and feel justified in that.

I do have one favour to ask of you all. A few people have told me that the first couple of days after surgery will be a difficult, painful and emotional time for me. I know you will all be there to support me, but I feel I will need some time and space to recover

If any of you want me to send him something specific, you can send me a PM and I'll get it to him. He hasn't been on here much because with all the pain medications, it's hard for him to focus for too long.