you couldn't make this up

slutsholeLane.jpg

British street names FTW!

Haha! Putting that on the front of an envelope. Or worse, asking a taxi to take you there. :D

The British don't always pronounce place names the way they are spelled. This may not sound as bad as it looks. It could be something like "slew sole".

Maybe some of our British members could help here. Rob?

Of course, you might have to live in the neighborhood to know.

Edited by MikeL
  • Site Administrator

I don't know how they could say it to make it sound better, but that's freaking hilarious! I would hope that Mike is correct and they don't say it how we Americans think it sounds...but either way, lmao!

The British don't always pronounce place names the way they are spelled. This may not sound as bad as it looks. It could be something like "slew sole".

Maybe some of our British members could help here. Rob?

Of course, you might have to live in the neighborhood to know.

I dont know of any exceptions for this particular example, but youre right about place names... Worcester, Reading, Norwich(??).

LOL very amusing and no don't think it would be pronounced any other way although i am sure the people that live there claim it is

Despite the great value that all Brits place on their sense of humor, many neighborhoods, towns and individuals have been petitioning the authorities with jurisdiction over the naming of towns and roads to rename several hundred street and town names all over the UK. Personally, I think some of the place names are a laugh riot! laugh.gif I don't remember where, but there was an article over here in the states last year about a street name of "Slippery Dick Way"--despite the innuendo involved, I recall them saying it originated in the early 1700's as a pathway to a town outcast's cottage. He apparently was a bit dodgy and a fair pickpocket, but as he never phsyically hurt anyone they never called for his imprisonment.

Edited by kjames

On PBS there is a British show called "Keeping Up Appearances". The leading lady character's name is Bucket. However she insists all the same it is pronounced as Boo-che' as if french. So maybe Slutshole is pronounced as Virgindale.

On PBS there is a British show called "Keeping Up Appearances". The leading lady character's name is Bucket. However she insists all the same it is pronounced as Boo-che' as if french. So maybe Slutshole is pronounced as Virgindale.

I just love that show! "The Book

As Americans we do NOT care about the proper way of saying something. Our way of saying something IS the proper way. tongue.gif

As tongue in cheek as that was, no. :)

Had enough of "america is the mostest awesome" due to a walking talking stereotype recently asking me stone cold seriously "where is your top hat?" and "wait?! you guys have theme parks over there?!". My friend told her that "no, we just lie down and roll to the bottom of hills".

As for lol british street names, I think we'd all pronounce that the way it looks, mainly to antagonise the residents.