Chat or no chat  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you chat?

2. 2. Do you enjoy it?

• Yes, fun, fun, fun!!!!!!!!!
    • Best amusement when drunk...
    • Great way to get to know folks here.
    • I'm too slow to chat...
    • No, the discussions never get deep enough.
    • Inside jokes there don't open to me.
    • I don't go there for the fun, I go there to get more reputation...
  3. 3. Should there be a private chat?

In my opinnion the chat is too quick for me. I guess I'm too old and slow :blink: and I like to get under the surface of the conversations.

Please don't get me wrong!

1. I really would like to get to know more folks here! :D

2. I've only taken a few peeks at the chat room here and it did seem like a fun place to hang around if you can think and respond in a speed of light. :(

3. That said, I really don't know how deep the conversations in chat goes. I only have scratched the surface...

• Like 1

It depends who's in there. Sometimes the conversation gets deep, sometimes it's just fun and froth, sometimes it's both. I've had some really deep converstions in there. If you want to have a deep converstaion try starting one and see what happens.

There is private chat though. If you click one of the names on the right it opens a private window and you can private chat. Not sure if you can bring others into that chat but you can have more than one tab open at the same time.

I love GA chat :D as my amount of time spent in there reveals :P

It's one the best ways to meet people on the site, stick with it for a small while and you soon get to be integrated into the conversations.

I think there should be private chat as there are conversations ive had with people that they didnt want to share in the main chatroom so I think that feature is handy :)

Um yeah, I enjoy the chatroom. It can be fun. I think that there should probably be a few extra mods to enforce rules, but it's all good apart from that. As for a private chat; I don't see the need for it. There already exists a one on one thing. Use msn or skype otherwise. However, I wouldn't mind it being added either as long as it didn't take away from the main chat.

Chat... AHEM!! :D

As people will no doubt agree to, I like to talk... so Yes, I love the chatroom... I get to meet new people, make new friends regularly and let's just say, even if I have nothing to say, its always an interesting place to observe and know various people, people i'd probably never have the chance to know in real life!

Thanks to The Chat, I have made some Wonderful friends here.. thumbsupsmileyanim.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gif

• Site Administrator

A lot of the people who chat are 'regulars' so it can be intimdating for new people to come into the mix. Some persist and are quickly assimilated into the mob, some stay quietly watching for a while before testing the waters, and some come in and go, Holy hell, so not for me!!. It's okay to not 'get it' in chat in the beginning, it's like being plunked into a crowd of people you don't know in real life and being expected to be able to converse with them as they all talk about things you don't really relate to at times. It's not exactly comfortable to be in that place. However, I am always willing to private chat with someone in there to say hi and start letting them test the waters so if anyone is wanting to check it out and I'm in there feel free to click on my name in the online chat users box and start a private conversation. I promise I'll only ask 100 questions to start off with!

• Like 1

Don't listen to her... she'll have your whole life story in 5 miutes :)

Same goes here. If I'm in there feel free to IM and pester me although you should be aware that my normal state of being is at gutter level. You have been warned.

• Like 1

I go on GA chat and it's usually very interesting. If the convo is not my flavor I'll jsut come back later. It's all good. It can be scary when people seem to know each other very well and you feel like an outsider, but most are welcoming and after a while you'll be part of the circle too. :)

I use chat once and while and it's fine, you get to know other members better. While I did put up there that there shouldn't be private chat, I'm going to contradict myself and say that there probably should be a private chat since there are times where there are more than one conversation going on in the chat room making it hard to follow which ever discussion your in or even start up your own, especially when it gets busy. Private chat is convenient because you can still talk to someone about a topic you get drowned out by the other stuff going on in the chat room.

I've been in chat once and enjoyed it. I don't generally chat just because I'm always bouncing around and can't focus enough to stay in but I do like it. It's fun to get to see what other members are like. As for private chat, it doesn't matter either way to me. I figure if I want to say something privately to someone I can just PM them or something. It takes time to get used to the 'flow' of the chat room, though so if you're interested just give it a try and jump right in. :)

The chat probably isn't for me. I have this innate processor in my brain that constantly revise what I wrote every minute or two, resulting in edits every sentence. Chatting with me can get really slow. Unless it's a one on one and the topic interests me. Emotionally driven ones can get surprisingly speedy. Chatting could get confusing, too. It's hard figuring out who's replying to who. The "shy" factor can get in the way as well. But I guess, our individual natures may play the biggest role of all. Some of us are talkative and some are not. Although I came to accept that, I just hope that sometime in the future, I would be able to try the chat and hold my own there. It sounds like a fun way to get connected. ^_^

I quite like going into chat, and once everyone knows who you are and some things about you then its alot easier to be in chat.

as for the private chat, I like using it if i want to talk to someone without the whole chat room being in on the conversation, or the room is uber busy (like on weekends) and you cant keep up with what your talking about

but ive had great advice from the other chat regulars which i wouldnt have gotten if i didnt frequent chat, but when it gets to busy i dont like going on

I'm there every day, so I guess you can call me a "regular". The fast pace doesn't deter me one bit, as I have been chatting in other servers for years and years.

The only drawback is that ever since I have discovered GA Chat, I have severely neglected my sports forums. Oh well, one can only spend so much time online!

I had my first so called succesfull chat today! Thanks Frosty, Agaith, Harrord and BB etc. Soo much fun. I'll be there again SOON!

So I oficially want to change my own answers to the poll. :D

I'm slowly trying to be less antisocial, lol. It may take a while, though, before I'm a chatty, productive member. The word ECCENTRIC was coined with me in mind. :blink:

Well, the key is (I think...) to be you, and I'm not a chit chat -type of a person, so I can relate :ph34r:

Chat I find is best when there are either less than 6 people, or less than 6 active people. Overall it is indeed a good way to get to know people (It was the primary mode through which I met everyone I know on here for the most part). For me the biggest difference between there being 6 and 14 people in chat, is the quality of conversation. Usually with the increased speed of conversation, comes a decrease in conversation depth. Everyone talks about how the weather is and what they're eating for dinner :P With fewer people I find it to be a much more intimate environment, where you can have a conversation on some topic, or share your ideas about something you might find particularly important or interesting. When there are too many people in chat, those things tend to get lost in the convolution.

Overall just stop by fairly regularly, you'll get used to it, and probably find a couple people you really like to talk to. That makes things a lot easier, as you can just talk to and focus on that person, and ignore everyone else :P