Question of hags

Issue of fag hags is something that has been laughed and discussed lately in the chatroom (link to wikipedia). What is your opinnion on female frieds if you are a gay man? Or do you see yourself a hag if you are a female friend of a gay man?

Is that ridiculed or loving term if you use it? Is it a clishee that gay men get well along with women?

I have one close gay friend, but I don't think myself as his hag... Just normal friend.

I'm not friends with any gay men in real life (my sister is though)

I dunno if I could be close friends with any guy irl, but if I was I would probably be friends with a straight guy so we can talk girls :P

LOL

I have plenty of female friends who I refer to as my faghags (much to their consternation) . :D

They more often than not come with me to gay clubs or go by themselves. The general consensus is that they feel more comfortable in that environment where they are not constantly drooled on by some drunken moron. Unfortunately they are quite happy to see me put in that situation. :(

• Like 1

I've always gotten a long better with women. I'm sure it started with my sisters sharing my interests more than my brother did. When it comes to shopping, watching American Idol, and talking about boys... those aren't things that it'll interest the majority of guys (and in no way am I implying that all gay guys are just into shopping and reality TV :) For me, the term is endearing and for my hags, well, they fight over the distinction, so I'm sure it's endearing to them as well.

With that said, I'm looking for an official GA hag. Any takers? Must love shopping. Must love American Idol.

I've always gotten a long better with women. I'm sure it started with my sisters sharing my interests more than my brother did. When it comes to shopping, watching American Idol, and talking about boys... those aren't things that it'll interest the majority of guys (and in no way am I implying that all gay guys are just into shopping and reality TV :) For me, the term is endearing and for my hags, well, they fight over the distinction, so I'm sure it's endearing to them as well.

With that said, I'm looking for an official GA hag. Any takers? Must love shopping. Must love American Idol.

Darn J... I got lots of other qualities you might love but... shopping is a big no-no for me. :,( **cries her eyes out, wants to be J's official GA hag**

Oh, I'm only 4 posts away to make that my "title" ;)

Well, I have several female friends but 75% of my friends are guys. Most of my girl friends while they are still very girly, can hang with the guys and fit in pretty well, which is probably why were friends with them. :P Girls are much better to be around when your day sucks, or something went wrong etc. Guys (including myself) tend to be much less sympathetic to that kind of stuff. But no, I wouldn't call them my fag hags because I really don't do gay things.

I believe Krista has that honour! :lol:

............................................................... *runs quickly whilst ducking punch*

I have a mixed bag of friends. I have a few close friends that are female but wouldn't ever call them my fag hags. Besides the lesbians I know would kick my butt from one end of the state to the other if I ever did that. :lol: However because of who I am and how I treat them, I have become a godfather a few times, and babysat more than most guys would. Can't say we go shopping but never a problem when they want to talk about food, men, life in general, men, work, and men. Did I mention men? 0:) Over all my girl friends are a part of my support team. There when problems arise and are willing to help me out just as I am always there for them.

• Like 2

I have a mixed bag of friends. I have a few close friends that are female but wouldn't ever call them my fag hags. Besides the lesbians I know would kick my butt from one end of the state to the other if I ever did that. :lol: However because of who I am and how I treat them, I have become a godfather a few times, and babysat more than most guys would. Can't say we go shopping but never a problem when they want to talk about food, men, life in general, men, work, and men. Did I mention men? 0:) Over all my girl friends are a part of my support team. There when problems arise and are willing to help me out just as I am always there for them.

Gotta say, I love the respect that you show your friends with this answer. They can be broud of you hon!

To be honest this is the first time I have even heard the phrase used (sheltered life), I think of them just as I would any other freind. The cliché comment did make me laugh though a group of us where watching kick-ass a few weeks ago and one of the characters goes " Everyone should have a freind like you Dave" (or something like that) at which point me and the only girl with us both tilted our heads, huge grins and started laughing. I dont think its a true cliché but I see how it could be.

I do know that I cant stand cloths shopping and the only reason my wardrobe ever changes is thanks to my female freinds because I force myself to get something new whenever I'm required for heavy lifting :lol:

The term fag hag is deplorable - I hate it. Although, I seem to get along better with straight women than with anyone else. I'm not very typical no matter which category I'm trying to squeeze into.

For many years, my closest friend was a straight women with two children. I was raising my six nieces and nephews at the time, while spending a great deal of time with my friend. In public, everyone thought we were married with eight children.

Most of my life, my best pal has been a female. Most straight men are far to insecure to have gay male friends. Straight women don't have to wonder about the motives of gay men, and in fact may have a lot in common with them. It seems almost predictable that many straight women and gay men would get along together.

Edited by Tipdin
  • Like 1

For me, there are many terms that can be used as an insult as well as a term of endearment.

"Fag Hag", or ("hags" for short) is one of those.

We also called them a "Grace" (From the TV show Will & Grace). "Her? That's Crispin's Grace. I think her name is Sally."

There are generally two types of hags. There are the women where the bulk of their male friends are "gay". They're the ones who feel more comfortable hanging out with gay men.

And then there are the "Grace" types where they have one strong friendship with one gay man (like best friends). Usually there was (or still is to some degree) a sexual attraction to this gay man (which usually comes out when the "Grace" gets drunk). The Grace knows that the Gay Guy can't reciprocate in that way, but it doesn't stop them from wanting to hang out with them.

Vic

P.S. - my apologies for those who don't like "labels" & "StereoTypes" :sheep:

For me, there are many terms that can be used as an insult as well as a term of endearment.

"Fag Hag", or ("hags" for short) is one of those.

We also called them a "Grace" (From the TV show Will & Grace). "Her? That's Crispin's Grace. I think her name is Sally."

There are generally two types of hags. There are the women where the bulk of their male friends are "gay". They're the ones who feel more comfortable hanging out with gay men.

And then there are the "Grace" types where they have one strong friendship with one gay man (like best friends). Usually there was (or still is to some degree) a sexual attraction to this gay man (which usually comes out when the "Grace" gets drunk). The Grace knows that the Gay Guy can't reciprocate in that way, but it doesn't stop them from wanting to hang out with them.

Vic

P.S. - my apologies for those who don't like "labels" & "StereoTypes" :sheep:

I love this whole comment. I completely agree with everything you said. I usually call them Grace, too. Seems less rude to be honest. The drunk types are definitely true, at least in my case. I had a friend burst into tears when I didn't want to make out with her while we were out, so uncomfortable.

• Like 1

I tend to not say it because I just tend to avoid naughty words at all XD

But most of my friends are men. I have maybe one or two close female friends (not including GA)

Even then there's a barrier sometimes. When they talk about shoes and clothes, or I talk about cars. Just there's not a lot in common on certain things. I still love them as a friend though. <3

Edited by Arpeggio
  • Site Administrator

Have I been called a fag hag? Yeah. I didn't bother me as it was being used affectionately. I guess it just depends on intent for just about any way someone refers to me. On here I've been called mum, mommy, auntie, evil b**tch, the dreaded c word... it just depends on the person, lol. Never been called a fag hag in real life though. I've been good friends with the gay men I've worked with and such but I don't go out and do things with pretty much anyone but my female best friend or the snooty bitches club I'm in (sorry, a mom's club full of rich women. My kids need playmates but, I'm judgemental, what can I say?) Anyway, if I were to try and go 'out' with anyone of the male persuasion even if gay my hubby would flip. That's a NO NO. lol Mostly I'm more comfortable around men though. I don't like the cattiness of most women in large groups (it can be very scary!) Online I'm friendly and get along with men and women equally. The people I tend to talk to every day include both.

First, I don't like the words fag or hag, and the only way I'll use either is if I'm busting somebody's chops. With a smile. Then, I expect to be called something at least as insulting. With a smile. But they are insulting terms.

Sex or gender don't figure into my relationships at all, unless we're having sex.

What about straight guys who hang out with lesbians?

Dyke tykes???

OMG, you went there. lol. Actually I don't remember the name but yes they have one too. It was a discussion on logo one night. :read: