Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Circumnavigation (99+22) Wheels within Wheels

Wheels within Wheels is up.

There's a link at the top of the chapter to an interactive map of Geraldton, in case anyone wants to follow the action. Posted Image

There's also a link at the bottom of the chapter to the Atlantis page, which is a handy resource for Kookaburra's layout as well; they are basically identical in layout.

In some ways, this chapter is the beginning of the end - I estimate nine chapters to the epilogue. Enjoy, and please let me know what you think. Posted Image

BTW, Point Moore, mentioned in the chapter, isn't marked on the google maps link, but it's the westernmost point of land on that map. The lighthouse is across the highway from the surf shop that''s marked.

I think the biggest cliffhanger is your statement that you figure there are only 9 more chapters. I absolutely love this story and I have faithfully showed up here each week whether or not our KING OF THE CLIFFHANGERS did, but 123 chapters so far.... I feel like I'm in a bad Monty python sketch....no ending in sight.....

Did I read right...Trevor Shane and Basingstoke all on board?

Guess I'm in it for the long haul.....

Thanks for the really great ride CJ

In case you take anything I've said as insulting ...I compared you to a Monty python sketch....even a bad one is terrific.

Rachel gets her chance at Bridget but can't deliver a knock-out blow even with a cane. Posted Image

B'stoke is on the boat with Trevor and Shane and the chapter ends. Posted Image

It's not even close, this is the biggest cliff-hanger EVER in CJ's infamous career as a writer of cliff-hangers!.

All hail to the KING OF CLIFF HANGERS!Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted Image .............. The police did not search the boat very well if Mr. B is aboard, as the cliffhanging end the chapter indicates as told by the narrator. When Fowler finds out that Trev and Shane are at sea he is going to flip out. But I think there might be someone else on-board, perhaps the Custom agent? I hope those shark sticks are nearby! And Bridget still has to destroy or go aboard the boat

Posted Image Another great CLIFFHANGER, from the King Posted Image !!! Posted Image

• Site Moderator

I don't think Basingstoke is on deck yet. We've been taken a few times in the story to the bottom of the boat between the hulls. I think the bubbles in the water is a clue to his location. So if Basingstoke is holding on underneath, then technoly he's onboard Kookaburra.

We do know that Basingstoke is aboard Kookaburra. I agree that the bubbles in the water are a clue to how he got there...probably used scuba gear to get from the powerboat to Kookaburra. Would a more thorough search have located him? Now, what are his plans? Cliffhanger? Absolutely!

What a ride: this week it was bigger and better than all the adrenaline-producing, stomach-lurching rides I've ever ridden! The momentum just kept building, dropping, then building again and repeating until the end of the chapter. All of that motion and it was driving inexorably towards that final sentence. Whew! Thanks, CJ, and what a wait this week is going to be.

PS: It was a beautiful red sunset, but it was also the mother of cliffhangers!

Uh nearly every tuesday, with every cliff hanging chapter, I end up screaming to myself "Oh my God!" as I read the last few lines. This weeks no exception.

I find myself glancing at the scroll bar and trying to figure out whether there's any chance of the situation being resolved before it reaches the bottom...
Guest ralphie

I find myself glancing at the scroll bar and trying to figure out whether there's any chance of the situation being resolved before it reaches the bottom...

Hell, I do the same thing. It seems to scroll to the bottom much too fast and then I'm left there with my fingers dug in so I don't fall to my death. Damn those cliffs!!!

Posted Image ..... I totally spaced the bubbles scene, if I had given it a second look I might have realized Mr. B's need for additional training. But I see a problem for him, his shoulder is injured from the parachute jump and If I know Trevor he is not going to stop. That is going to be hard for him to hang on and it will not allow someone to swim back at night and get into the boat, how long can he hold on? And how much oxygen is in that tank? I might guess he has plans that include a rope attached underneath and plans to repel aft and board when he thinks they are asleep. It would actually be funny if he slipped and found himself alone in the ocean without Trevor or Shane ever knowing he was there. Shark food!!! Posted Image Next problem I see is how is he going to make Trevor's death look like an accidental shark attack, not anymore it will have to be a gruesome beheading without the novelty of an accident? Unless he plans on meeting up with Bridget in the other boat with his supplies, he certainly can not be carrying all that while submerged under the boat. But Bridget already looks ready to flee with her making arrangements with the charter air flight. So I see her orders to Mr. B were for him to kill, behead and set the boat on fire til it sinks. Still I have no Idea how Mr. B. plans to escape from his self imposed carnage, unless Bridget has someone else in mind to pick him up. Billy? Out at sea? Posted Image

Well I can hardly wait until next week, on the same bat channel, at the same time. Posted Image

cat fight!!!

Rachel put her cane to good use. :)

I think the biggest cliffhanger is your statement that you figure there are only 9 more chapters. I absolutely love this story and I have faithfully showed up here each week whether or not our KING OF THE CLIFFHANGERS did, but 123 chapters so far.... I feel like I'm in a bad Monty python sketch....no ending in sight.....

Did I read right...Trevor Shane and Basingstoke all on board?

Guess I'm in it for the long haul.....

Thanks for the really great ride CJ

In case you take anything I've said as insulting ...I compared you to a Monty python sketch....even a bad one is terrific.

I'm only offended that you think there are cliffhangers! :P

And yes, you read it right: There are three people on Kookaburra; Trevor, Shane, and Basingstoke.

Rachel gets her chance at Bridget but can't deliver a knock-out blow even with a cane. Posted Image

B'stoke is on the boat with Trevor and Shane and the chapter ends. Posted Image

It's not even close, this is the biggest cliff-hanger EVER in CJ's infamous career as a writer of cliff-hangers!.

All hail to the KING OF CLIFF HANGERS!Posted Image

Ack! It's not a cliffie!!!

Rachel gave it a good try... she did hurt Bridget, and would have done more than knocked her out if Bridget hadn't gotten her with the sand. She was aiming the cane for Bridget's head; that's a recipe to knock someone out permanently. At least this shows how Rachel feels about Bridget.

What happened to Rachel at the end though, with the abdominal pain, going pale, etc? I'm sure it's nothing serious... she was only tackled,blindside by a big rugby player, after all.

Uh nearly every tuesday, with every cliff hanging chapter, I end up screaming to myself "Oh my God!" as I read the last few lines. This weeks no exception.

But it was such a pretty sunset... and the motion of the boat was comforting to all three board... such an idyllic scene...

Argh..... left hanging again. Posted Image

typical evilness from our great author.Posted Image

Posted Image

What? Poor, innocent me, evil? Posted Image

.............. The police did not search the boat very well if Mr. B is aboard, as the cliffhanging end the chapter indicates as told by the narrator. When Fowler finds out that Trev and Shane are at sea he is going to flip out. But I think there might be someone else on-board, perhaps the Custom agent? I hope those shark sticks are nearby! And Bridget still has to destroy or go aboard the boat

Another great CLIFFHANGER, from the King Posted Image !!! Posted Image

E tu, Benji? Awww....

The police searched the four cabins and the other areas adjoining the salon. How many cabins does Kookaburra have? Five. Just like Atlantis, there's a small crew cabin on the forward port side, and there's no access from the salon area. The only way in or out is via a deck hatch on the foredeck. (Bridget knows the boat's layout very well, due to having once owner her). However, Basingstoke may, or may not, have been in said cabin when Kookoburra left the dock. We do know he's aboard now though. How he got there is hinted at in the chapter (in the last several, actually). It's those mysterious lessons he was taking. :)

I don't think Basingstoke is on deck yet. We've been taken a few times in the story to the bottom of the boat between the hulls. I think the bubbles in the water is a clue to his location. So if Basingstoke is holding on underneath, then technoly he's onboard Kookaburra.

That would qualify as aboard, yes. But, he couldn't stay underneeth and under the water once she picked up speed. Of course, there are ways to be underneeth without being under water. :)

We do know that Basingstoke is aboard Kookaburra. I agree that the bubbles in the water are a clue to how he got there...probably used scuba gear to get from the powerboat to Kookaburra. Would a more thorough search have located him? Now, what are his plans? Cliffhanger? Absolutely!

E tu, Frog??? But... come on, you know it's not a cliffie!!

We don't know Basingstoke's plans, so nothing to worry about. Trevor and Shane aren't worried, so why should we be? Granted, they don't know that Basingstoke is aboard, but don't worry, they will soon.

What a ride: this week it was bigger and better than all the adrenaline-producing, stomach-lurching rides I've ever ridden! The momentum just kept building, dropping, then building again and repeating until the end of the chapter. All of that motion and it was driving inexorably towards that final sentence. Whew! Thanks, CJ, and what a wait this week is going to be.

PS: It was a beautiful red sunset, but it was also the mother of cliffhangers!

Actually, at this point I'm happy to report that the next chapter will probably post on time. Until quite recently, I was worried about a possible need for another skipped week, and Low Flyer (one of our team, an expert in grammar, as well as continuity and advice on other issues as well) thought the end of this chapter would make a good, calm, restful pausing point of one was needed, so I was going to go with it for a two week break. But, no need now. :) Expect the next chapter to be on time. :)

Okay, now a general question; did everyone like Bridget posing for photos with the toy boat, with Kookoburra in the background?

But you should know by now that it always is... :P

Hell, I do the same thing. It seems to scroll to the bottom much too fast and then I'm left there with my fingers dug in so I don't fall to my death. Damn those cliffs!!!

Awwwww.... come on... sailing off into a glorious blood-red sunset isn't a cliffie! :)

Posted Image ..... I totally spaced the bubbles scene, if I had given it a second look I might have realized Mr. B's need for additional training. But I see a problem for him, his shoulder is injured from the parachute jump and If I know Trevor he is not going to stop. That is going to be hard for him to hang on and it will not allow someone to swim back at night and get into the boat, how long can he hold on? And how much oxygen is in that tank? I might guess he has plans that include a rope attached underneath and plans to repel aft and board when he thinks they are asleep. It would actually be funny if he slipped and found himself alone in the ocean without Trevor or Shane ever knowing he was there. Shark food!!! Posted Image Next problem I see is how is he going to make Trevor's death look like an accidental shark attack, not anymore it will have to be a gruesome beheading without the novelty of an accident? Unless he plans on meeting up with Bridget in the other boat with his supplies, he certainly can not be carrying all that while submerged under the boat. But Bridget already looks ready to flee with her making arrangements with the charter air flight. So I see her orders to Mr. B were for him to kill, behead and set the boat on fire til it sinks. Still I have no Idea how Mr. B. plans to escape from his self imposed carnage, unless Bridget has someone else in mind to pick him up. Billy? Out at sea? Posted Image Well I can hardly wait until next week, on the same bat channel, at the same time. Posted Image

Air tanks would be good for a couple of hours at most,in total. :)

No worries on the shark attack thing: Basingstoke only wanted to do that to make it look like an accident the last time; this time, he's planning on leaving the country permanently and, as such, is unconstrained by that issue. :)

It is good that the goat doesn't use cliffhangers! Can you imagine where he would leave us if he did?Posted Image

Thanks!!!!!

You're right, there could be cliffies if I wasn't so careful. But, our team and I are utterly dedicated in our determination to avoid even the hint of cliffhangers. :)

Okay, now a general question; did everyone like Bridget posing for photos with the toy boat, with Kookaburra in the background?

Posted Image ................... That is a good one, my only take on it is Bridget planned to send them to Sanchez indicating the failed attempt by Mr. B if he didn't succeed, thereby holding her a trump hand over Sanchez with the cartel. Plus the bombings would have made the world by now and the cartel knows that Sanchez is after Trevor who is maybe desperate for the kill with his assassin without the promised head. Bridget is playing a duel game here, but always to her advantage. If Mr. B. fails, she can moan at it and Sanchez would be gone, leaving her his space, if Mr. B. is successful she can clamor that she helped in it, and destroying any evidence of deceit by Arnold. And removing any such evidence would be to her benefit also. Because we all know that Bridget is in it for herself and nothing will stand in front of her, she is more ruthless than Sanchez and knows it.

Edited by Benji

You're right, there could be cliffies if I wasn't so careful. But, our team and I are utterly dedicated in our determination to avoid even the hint of cliffhangers. Posted Image

To better explain the 'team' perspective, CJ is assigned to create the cliffies and deny they exist and the rest of the team is assigned to carefully point out their existence without giving CJ one smidgen of leeway to use against us. Looks like Low Flyer failed this time.

In CJ's efforts to enlist me in denying the existence of a cliffie, he threatened to kill off a much beloved character if I didn't do it. I strenuously resisted the pressure and so far, the character remains alive. Time will tell.

Posted Image

To better explain the 'team' perspective, CJ is assigned to create the cliffies and deny they exist and the rest of the team is assigned to carefully point out their existence without giving CJ one smidgen of leeway to use against us. Looks like Low Flyer failed this time.

Eh? I'm not taking the rap for this one!

I try, gently, to point out when I think there may be elevated levels of tension at the end of a chapter but CJ always sidesteps the comments and insists that all will be well.

As a humble comma-mover, I don't feel I have the authority to argue back (unless, of course, it's over a misplaced semi-colon - I'll fight to the end over that). Posted Image

• Site Administrator

In CJ's efforts to enlist me in denying the existence of a cliffie, he threatened to kill off a much beloved character if I didn't do it. I strenuously resisted the pressure and so far, the character remains alive. Time will tell.

Posted Image

Eh? I'm not taking the rap for this one!

I try, gently, to point out when I think there may be elevated levels of tension at the end of a chapter but CJ always sidesteps the comments and insists that all will be well.

As a humble comma-mover, I don't feel I have the authority to argue back (unless, of course, it's over a misplaced semi-colon - I'll fight to the end over that). Posted Image

So when your editor and your proofreader hang you out to dry goat, it is kind of hard to deny anything Posted Image

A few points:

• Basingstoke has been a busy beaver (or scuba diver). Not only were the bubbles mentioned aft of Kookabura, but also were missed by the cut wires and access plate of the customs boat.
  • Bridget has used one stick of dynamite for the car at the police station, one for the garbage can, and has one more in her purse. I do believe she was originally given only three, so what is the 3rd for?
  • Billy has docked the boat at the marina and is driving Billy. She has indicated to go to the airport but she also is hysterical with the idea that the crazy idea is actually working. Could she now have Billy turn back for the speed boat?\
  • Basingstoke I would guess is on board the Kookabura. With the two police officers off to try and catch Bridget, and the Customs Officer going to check a bomb on board his boat, he could have easily slipped on board in the confusion as the three law enforcement made haste to get off the boat.
  • Basingstoke is a dead man....One phone call to Graeme and he will be hunted by the underground until he is dead for revealing Graeme's identity and occupation. I'm sure this will be planned for after he sends Trevor's head west...or would it be east?
  • With all the chaos in Geraldton, no need for Trevor's beheading to look like an accident. Really, who would be surprised to find Kookabura adrift and a dead Shane and headless Trevor on board.
  • I do believe Greg put out the idea of someone being corrupt on the police force or the Customs service in Geraldton, I wonder what his reaction will be when he finds that Craig is the one leaking everything Posted Image
  • I can't help to feel the link between Julie and the scuba diving lessons that Basingstoke has received. I'm surprised Benji didn't pick up on this. After all, Julie is a diving instructor Posted Image
Okay, I am going to do something that I seldom ever do. I received a PM from CJ asking me to come defend him against the attacks against him by his loyal readers and his team Posted Image

So I shall defend him in this one case only.

Ahem......

2007 King of Evil Cliffhangers - CJames

2008 King of Evil Cliffhangers - CJames

2009 Had to take a break

2010 King of Evil Cliffhangers - CJames

2011 King of Evil Cliffhangers - CJames

Like come on people Posted Image Did you really expect anything else Posted Image CJ lives to write his cliffhangers. I will defend his right to his title to the end. He is just giving all of us proof of why he is so deserving of the title.

I think I will come to CJ's defense on something else. I believe that the rule about not winning more than two years in a row should be repealed. After this chapter especially and several other this year, I am stepping up to the plate and calling for CJ to be named King of Evil Cliffhanger for 2012 as well!!! I want to defend his right to retain the title Posted Image

See CJ, I can defend you when I need too Posted Image

BTW, Thanks so much for the effort that you and every member of your team put into giving us an excellent chapter every week

In closing, in past stories where the main characters have been left in unquestionable peril, even when Trevor was sinking to the bottom of the ocean, bound and facing certain death, CJ has released a chapter before the one week had come due. Join me in calling for CJ to bring some resolution to Trevor and Shane's imminent death!!!!!

Edited by wildone

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..