Hey Youse Guys ~ American Dialects Questionnaire

How Y’all, Youse and You Guys Talk

What does the way you speak say about where you’re from?

Answer all 25 questions below to see your personal dialect map.

I was surprised to be pegged as having a deep south dialect (Atlanta, Columbus, Montgomery) since I have always lived in a border state.

It was also interesting to see that my dialect is found in southeast Pennsylvania and parts of adjacent states.

Makes sense considering that much of the trans-Appalachian south was settled in the 18th century by people from Pennsylvania.

Please check your results and comment here.
Edited by MikeL
  • Like 1

I got Philadephia, Newark, NJ, and Rochester, New York. I understand the first two- I live an hour south of Philly, and my family has New Jersey roots. Rochester seems weird, though.

I really do enjoy the Pittsburgh accent, though- what with the "yinz" and "pop" and the like.

• Site Administrator

I tried it twice, but it won't give me the map locations overall. Each question showed different areas that my choice was most/least similar too though, which makes sense. I grew up mostly in the Pacific Northwest, but was raised by 2 guys who grew up in the backwoods of Florida, and I spent my teenage summers in Maryland, Delaware, and Florida visiting family. :P Little bits of all over show up in my word choices and point of view.

Mine was fairly accurate - Midwest, Central Illinois all the way.  Although I was surprised that it also brought up Salt Lake City too.  Who knew?

The Mormons spent a few years in west central Illinois en route to the Great Salt Lake.

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

St. Louis, Cincinnati, and Baltimore. Considering I was born and raised an hour northeast of Indianapolis. I'm a bit surprised at Baltimore considering I lived close to Philly for 20 years now.

Sorry, I've heard from several that the website is crabby due to excess use.  Apparently, this has become very popular.  Please try again at a later time.  Just be glad you aren't trying to buy health insurance.   :P 

**sits in its corner, throws its toys out the pram, and scweams and scweams and sweams until it's sick**

is sitting comfortably, pleased with itself for logging in early - before all the riff-raff - and getting a nice pretty personalized map :lol::funny:

That was fun :) Here's the US dialect match for British English. Interesting...

sml_gallery_14346_1090_201017.png

Zombie, the map makes it look like people in Michigan/Wisconsin/Minnesota speak with a British accent.  It's important that we all remember that this little exercise is based on word usage as well as pronunciation.  I can attest to the upper Midwest accent being very un-British.

is sitting comfortably, pleased with itself for logging in early - before all the riff-raff - and getting a nice pretty personalized map :lol::funny:

You were awake early US time.  Being British does not exempt you from being riff-raff.

Swaps the Zombie's late night snack of brains for some carrot sticks and houmous  :devil:

• Like 1

Zombie, the map makes it look like people in Michigan/Wisconsin/Minnesota speak with a British accent. 

No, not at all. The questionnaire was not mainly about accent but also pronunciation and word usage which are just as relevant to British English and, as the heat map indicated, clear similarities and differences are shown - mainly between north/west and south/east - which I thought was interesting. Of course "people in Michigan/Wisconsin/Minnesota [do not] speak with a British accent" - I never suggested they do, nor does the heat map :P

You were awake early US time.  Being British does not exempt you from being riff-raff.

Lighten up Mike. I was just rattling people's cages. It's British humour which loves to tease and which I know can be baffling :funny: Of course I'm not exempted from being riff-raff - that's a given :lol:. Besides, my jibe was aimed mainly at the sheep :funny: :funny:

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 1

Thankfully Sheep finally has own pretty colour map of USA.

Thankfully Sheep's map is mostly blue where Zombie's map is red - thankfully Sheep speaks nothing like the Undead Shuffling Green Thing.

Sheep's map is all dark red in New England, then big blue blob over rest of country, with tiny tiny speck of very light orange in Washington state :lol:

Map say Sheep speak like person from Augusta and Boston - Sheep wonders if it has watched one too many Stephen King films and one too many episodes of Cheers??

• Like 2

The test nailed me perfectly: Oakland, Fremont, and San Jose. All are in the San Francisco Bay Area, which is where I was born, raised, went to school including high school at Las Lomas (2007) in Walnut Creek which is about 16 miles east of downtown Oakland. I attended the University of California in Berkeley which is 6 milles north of Oakland. I've lived in Berkeley since I started going to school there in 2007, two years in the Foothill dorm, the rest of the time in a house 3 miles from the center of the campus.

Colin B)

Edited by colinian

I got Baton Rouge, New Orleans, and Mobile for my 3 areas, with Mobile being the odd man out for me. Baton Rouge is where I have lived most of my life, I've known many people from the New Orleans area, and otherwise am a complete Louisiana grown boy.

Some of the questions doesn't have a choice where its all used interchangeably

that forces some weird results

got NJ(2) / NY(1) thats almost exact by 1/3

2nd try Washington State(1) NY(2)

so it seems to be closely accurate

Edited by hh5