Quirky Things You Do

We all do things that others, not even some of our close friends know.  I have some real quirks that would shock some people because they think I'm so particular about my housekeeping, etc.  I think the one that would shock them most is my bedding.  During the summer, I take the sheets off my bed and put a quilt as a bottom sheet.  It's 100% cotton and is probably three years old.  I actually wash it like it was a sheet, at least once a week.  When I get out of the sheet mode, I do away with the top sheet and sleep under a fleece blanket.  You'd be surprised how cool they are during the summer.  I actually think this stems from the first sleeping bag I received as a child.  I slept in that thing on top of my covers until it was too short for me. My mom washed it weekly. :)

When winter comes, I put the sheets back on the bed, but put fleece below me and still on top of me.  My hubby loves that.  He's cold natured and I'm hot natured.

Another thing is clothing.  I'm a tomboy from way back there.  Jeans and jean shorts are staples for me.  I have enough of these and tee shirts to supply a small army.  I wear boots with the jeans and leather tennis shoes with my shorts.  I know, not really quirky.  The quirky thing is that I love pretty lingerie.  So, I might be in blue jeans, tee shirt, boots, and the latest Victoria Secret lingerie :*)  kinda wierd huh.  To go along with all of that, I love expensive colognes.  I wear them to work everyday.  It's one of those things that I feel naked going without. 

Before I tell anymore, someone else has to spill. :P

• Like 5

I will stand in the kitchen and eat pickled onions straight from the jar as a snack food.

This one is not mine, but my husbands: He brushes his teeth in the shower.

Also, we share our bed with three stuffed animals: the fire demon Vruuaska; Jasper, an elephant made from vintage German carpet which was the first gift he ever bought me; and Brenin, a stuffed African hunting dog bought for me when I was studying them. Neither of us think this is weird, and on weekend mornings one or other of the animals will go "exploring" across the duvet and knees etc, narrated by one of us.

• Like 3

This one is not mine, but my husbands: He brushes his teeth in the shower.

I used to do this when I was an undergrad living in the dorms, and everyone thought I was weird for it. 

• Like 1

I love mixing coffee with dark tea...I don't know why, but it tastes really good to me ^_^.

Also, I'll wear socks even on hot days in the house. I hate walking barefoot in the house, but I love walking on the sand barefeet..weird.

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator

I have anxiety issues in person that never come across online. So if I'm stressed, I tend to tap each fingertip to my thumb, counting forwards, then backwards, to distract myself from the need to lash out if I'm stressed--especially anyplace that's tight quarters with other people like busy stores, buses, or planes. Oh, and I have the weirdest thing about my drinks. I cannot stand to have open cups. If I do drink out of an open cup for any reason, when I'm not actively taking a drink, I cover it with a napkin. This goes along with my 'no individually served food may touch' rule, too.

• Like 1

I love raw tomato.  I love fried tomato.  I love tomato in Bolognese.

But tomato soup is the most revolting creation ever.  The person responsible must be beaten and flogged :P

I love tomato soup. and ketchup, and sundried tomatoes and tomatoes cooked into stew and lasagna and anything else you can think of.

Serve me a raw tomato and i will throw it at you.

• Like 2

Being a twin, I always talk in plurals. (we, us, our....)  I don't notice it until people point it out to me. :P My hubby also tease me and ask if I have a mouse in my pocket, LOL

• Like 4

Being a twin, I always talk in plurals. (we, us, our....)  I don't notice it until people point it out to me. :P My hubby also tease me and ask if I have a mouse in my pocket, LOL

Just tell him you're using the Royal Plural and to knock it off, if he doesn't want to end up in the dungeon.  lol 

• Like 2

For as long as I can remeber I have liked weird  food combo's such as:

cheesy wotsits and ice cream

hot french fries dipped in ice cream (my 9 year old daughter likes this too)

cereal (eg frosties) mixed with ice cream (see a theme emerging here?)

friends used to think I was pregnant but this was just me.

When I was pregnant I wanted chocolate or a bacon sandwich. All the time. Lol

• Like 1

i have a LOT of quirks, so ill give you a small selection

when i eat fruit pastilles, i have to pour the bag onto a plate, separate them all into colour piles working with the colours of the rainbow going clockwise. none of the piles can touch, then i eat the sections down until they have the same number, then go anticlockwise taking one off each pile until i have only three of each type left, then i eat all three individually of each colour backwards until i have red, orange and yellow left, at which point i will eat one more off each pile, then eat the last two as a pair, so both yellow, both orange, then both reds. I have food issues  :*) they just dont taste as good any other way! 

i only have one specific pair of shoes i can drive in - if i dont have those shoes with me i have to drive barefoot. This is because i get foot cramp and my leg feels funny otherwise, even if other shoes actually fit me better.... i did buy an identical pair of shoes to wear to drive, but they just dont feel the same.

i concentrate better with my back directly pressed against a wall and sitting facing the door, than i do in any other position

i regularly rewrite the family shopping list (no joke, about 4 times a week and we shop once a week...) to make sure that all items are in the correct category (so split into vegetables, fridge, cupboards, freezer, and household). I could also give you a full list of everything that we have in our kitchen, food wise... this started happening after sister took control of the shopping list and we ended up with about 5kg of red onions and no potatoes  :P

Edited by Never Surrender
  • Like 3

I wash my hands so many times a day that my when we're frozen up during the winter at work my Boss sends someone to town to get me Baby Wipes.  I use hand sanitizer like crazy and my daughter and grandson do also.  They refuse to use a public restroom.  I finally got past that. 

I hate dirty clothes.  If there's just a couple of pieces to be washed, I do it.  I know that's crazy, but I do.  When I'm cooking, I wash every dish as I go along and I don't want anyone else in the kitchen with me. :P

• Site Administrator

My dad is an identical twin and both him and my uncle talk about themselves as the other person interchangeably, too!. I picked up my uncle at my cousin's once and drove him 2 hours home after his rig broke down. Later that night my dad called me and told me thank you for doing him a favor and really helping him out of a bind. Exactly which one of them did I pick up?

LOL

I like Marmite :P

Okay, that goes so far beyond quirky. Maybe you should try professional gastrointestinal intervention. Your taste buds and stomach obviously have some sort of blackmail hold on you to force you into eating that glop.

• Like 4

I laugh at my own jokes.  Not just a chuckle, but full on, unable to speak, tears rolling down my face, falling onto the floor laughing.  The worse a joke is, the harder I laugh.  My coworkers constantly encourage me to tell unsuspecting patients a joke, just so they can watch my reaction. 

• Like 4

I guess I might have some kind of quirks.  I'm not really sure what qualifies, so I'll just make some guesses.  :unsure:   I like sandwiches for a snack, so when I make 'em I make sure whatever i spread on, like mayo or mustard, goes to the edge all the way around.  Let's see, um, when I do my laundry I put my clothes in the washer in a certain pattern every time because I think they get washed better.  When I get a burger at Mc D's or somewhere, if the meat isn't centered on the bun I open it and fix it.  That's an improvement over my habit as a kid.  Then when we ate if anything on my plate touched something else, like say the corn touched the potatoes and gravy, I wouldn't eat it.  Maybe instead of quirky I'm actually psychotic or something.  :ph34r:

Well, that's a start I guess, I can think of other quirky stuff later.  The thing with this is, I don't actually think of my quirks as being quirks.  Maybe that's another quirk for my list, I don't know.  Interesting stuff to think about though because it's really about taking a closer look at ourselves, and that's always a good idea. :)

• Like 3

When I'm cooking, I wash every dish as I go along and I don't want anyone else in the kitchen with me. :P

That's not quirky.  That's the right way to do things.

I once allowed my mum to do the cooking.  She used practically every saucepan, roasting dish, plate, knife, fork and spoon in the house.  After we'd eaten dinner it took nearly an hour to wash up!

When I cook nobody is allowed in the kitchen.  I've had too many accidents over the years when someone else has been in the kitchen.  I've had a broken toe (dropped a roasting dish after mother in law bumped me), I've sliced myself with carving knives more often than I care to remember (palm readers can't tell a healed scar from my life line :gikkle: ), and there was the lemon curd incident of 2008.

• Like 4

i have a LOT of quirks, so ill give you a small selection

when i eat fruit pastilles, i have to pour the bag onto a plate, separate them all into colour piles working with the colours of the rainbow going clockwise. none of the piles can touch, then i eat the sections down until they have the same number, then go anticlockwise taking one off each pile until i have only three of each type left, then i eat all three individually of each colour backwards until i have red, orange and yellow left, at which point i will eat one more off each pile, then eat the last two as a pair, so both yellow, both orange, then both reds. I have food issues  :*) they just dont taste as good any other way! 

i only have one specific pair of shoes i can drive in - if i dont have those shoes with me i have to drive barefoot. This is because i get foot cramp and my leg feels funny otherwise, even if other shoes actually fit me better.... i did buy an identical pair of shoes to wear to drive, but they just dont feel the same.

i concentrate better with my back directly pressed against a wall and sitting facing the door, than i do in any other position

i regularly rewrite the family shopping list (no joke, about 4 times a week and we shop once a week...) to make sure that all items are in the correct category (so split into vegetables, fridge, cupboards, freezer, and household). I could also give you a full list of everything that we have in our kitchen, food wise... this started happening after sister took control of the shopping list and we ended up with about 5kg of red onions and no potatoes  :P

is puzzled - where are the quirks? :funny:

Here's the answer.

MOYER_DIEBEL_201HT.jpg

No no NO!

Not the answer it's the problem!

If it's stacked wrongly EVERYTHING HAS TO COME OUT AND BE RE-STACKED! :P

• Like 3