The last time I cried was when I visited my grandmother's grave, and she had passed away last September. This chapter did not make me cry, but I did water up and sniffle several times. I didn't think it was possible to feel sympathy for Aaron Keslin unless something drastic were to occur, and I figured Dom was too soft for that (and I mean that in the best way possible). I guess what I'm trying to say is that I never figured Dom would go so far as to take the life of a character, albeit a character who appeared in only a few chapters in the Keslin household. I never had much of an opinion on the character of Cody, and neither do I have an opinion on his premature expiration, but I feel that it is unfortunate that such an event had to occur in order to force Aaron to make a complete 180* in his attitude and demeanor.

I despise Aaron for being the way that he is, but at the same time I hope that he progresses positively in the institution he is sent to, for the sake of the remnants of his family, if not for himself.

As for a sequel, I honestly think that there are only two things (that I can think of anyway) that Dom would honestly be able to come back to that would need to be addressed. One is the outcome of Aaron's treatment/institutionalization. The second is that Seth still has to nail Rory. Otherwise, Dom has ended the story perfectly, and I am quite content with it as is.

As for a sequel, I honestly think that there are only two things (that I can think of anyway) that Dom would honestly be able to come back to that would need to be addressed. One is the outcome of Aaron's treatment/institutionalization. The second is that Seth still has to nail Rory. Otherwise, Dom has ended the story perfectly, and I am quite content with it as is.

Exactly

As for a sequel, I honestly think that there are only two things (that I can think of anyway) that Dom would honestly be able to come back to that would need to be addressed.

Good literature doesn't necessarily have to tie up all loose ends. Just think of short stories. By the way, since Dom is very good at describing intense moments, I'd expect him to be very good at writing short stories.

Good literature doesn't necessarily have to tie up all loose ends. Just think of short stories. By the way, since Dom is very good at describing intense moments, I'd expect him to be very good at writing short stories.

Yeah, he's done it twice thus far (the dog thing doesn't count, it was cute... but awkward). Besides, the two points I said wouldn't merit a chapter-by-chapter story, unless Dom decided that he wanted to create an entirely new plot with its own unique loose ends, or possibly one tied around the Aaron thing (sort of like the planned sequel of TLW which is going to have Dennis as the protagonist).

Dom could always go Star Wars style and describe Eddie's "coming out of the closet" years, and how he finds Jase.

Or he could talk about Luke before he came to live with Eddie and Jase.

Spin-offs would be really, really interesting, because then it would give me a reason to go back and read the original stories again.

... The Log Way, here I come! ...

Exactly

Hey, I actually agree with you on something.

Dom does a great job of choosing what ends to tie up and what ones to leave hanging loose. He leaves things so you see where important things are going, but enough things are open that you get a sense that life goes on.

I'll probably get around to writing about all the things I don't like about DD, but now is not the time for that. I just finished reading Chapter 36 and need to recuperate. I was so angry at the end of 35, and then I didn't get a chance to read 36 until days after it was posted. I didn't care for the story in the first place, and then it went on a long hiatus, and then I've been so obsessed with it for the last--what--two or three months?

Seth and Rory In the End? Well, in the end of the story, for sure. But who knows? They have a lot of life ahead of them. Dom wisely leaves it at that.

Dom has wisely decided against a sequel. Some of the posts here are making the thought of a prequel attractive, but I recognize that that is not really that good of an idea. I'm just not ready yet to let these characters go.

Edited by glomph

Hi, new to posting on the forum but not new to lurking and reading all of Dom's stories and the comments posted by everyone here. I have been a fan for a long (or is that "log" ) time. :2thumbs:

First of all, a BIG thanks to Dom and all of those involved in allowing for these stories to be posted and shared with readers around the world :worship:

Now to D.D. I must agree with those who have posted as being in the "Bittersweet" category. I love Dom's work and find he has enormous potential in reaching out to his audience. When I first started reading D.D. , it snagged my interest in that I thought it was going to be a bridge in Dom's writing from the "gay teen love" genre to other forms. I particularly agree with:

I'd have much rather seen Rory spend more time forging real bonds with Eddie or (especially) Jase than his summer fling.

I also have difficulty in the development of Seth - I never really got into his character from his introduction as the shy and jealous ex to the caring, loveable boyfriend.

"Someone like you doesn

Cameron,

I think you've pretty well nailed the main problems. Seth does seem to be all over the place while still mostly nowhere at all. Some of that, though is an artifact of the story's first person perspective. We are seeing the characters through Rory. In a lot of ways, Seth is not changing, but Rory's viewpoint is. Much of what we think about Seth from time to time turns out to be just plain wrong. For chapters we don't like him because he's Angela's boyfriend keeping her away from Dave, for example. He's very shy and awkward until you get to know him. So we see him that way until Rory gets to know him. Etc.

I think Eddie is about perfect in the story. Imagine being a 30-ish gay man who suddenly has a teenage son. He wants the kid to like him and to want to stay. It's hard enough for parents who've been doing the parenting thing all along to get the right balance of age-appropriate boundaries and freedom.

And all of the nice, selfless things he was doing.

There was some form of credibility lacking here.

On the other hand, Luke's characterization was strong and credible and the development into the 'brotherly love" was well-done and plausible. And no, I am not/was not an LRITE supporter; I thought the relationship between Luke and Rory developed sufficiently enough.

Right, and Luke was no different. Remember their first fight at the park, when Aaron gave Rory his number? I found Seths behavior to be completely rational, considering just who they were arguing over. Don't forget that Rory was swept off his feet by Aaron, and at the time he would get very defensive over anyone saying negative things about Aaron, and so would view the person in a negative way. The difference here being that Rory lived with Luke, and not Seth. For a short while he hated Luke, but they kissed and made up (well the kiss came a long ways after that, after he broke up with Aaron, but it counts :P ). Since he only saw Seth all of two times (and both times, Seth was trying to protect Rory, and both of which made the situation negative to Rory because he was still so naive...), his hatred for the guy brewed, and the situation with Seth and Angela versus Dave wasn't helping...

Point-in-case, Seth didn't have the chance to redeem himself like Luke had, until Rory got curious about the guy and pursued him at his house.

You know the first story of Mr Luka I came across was DD, I only read the first couple of chapters before he put it on hold to finish The Ordinary Us. I then started to read The Log Way which is my favorite to this date. I remember emailing him telling him how great of an author he was (is), I still stand by that :D . For someone who wanted to major in English (myself, but not anymore) I thought he was great . Enough of that I was gone for the last 3 weeks so I did not have a chance to read the last 2 chapters, untill yesterday that is. Once again Dom a really great story I am a Domaholic For life :2thumbs: Hands up, Standing ovation for you :worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

Great story as I was reading the last 2 chapters I could picture places you talked about because I was in Ari-frikin-zona. My mind was still fresh from my trip. Once again great story Dom Luka

And all of the nice, selfless things he was doing.

There was some form of credibility lacking here.

I think that your quotes makes sense, except for the last one, which seems to be a little bit out of context to me. The last one, however, was the only one dating after Seth finally broke up with Aaron. This is meaningful, because it corroborates the following contention: According to Dom, the author, Seth was indeed jealous of Rory, until, having fully comprehended Aaron's depravity, he changed his mind and made a move towards Rory.

Right, and Luke was no different. Remember their first fight at the park, when Aaron gave Rory his number?

This reminds me that ultimately that was settled when Luke and Rory made up and Luke simply told Rory that Aaron's number was speed-dial whatever. At the time I was thinking that, that meant Luke and Aaron's relationship was significantly more complicated, in other words they were STILL calling each other, even if Luke openly disliked Aaron. I suppose their actual relationship WAS more complicated than it seemed, but that still doesn't seem like a good enough reason to me for Luke to still have Aaron on speed-dial.

I mean it would be one thing if he'd just sorta forgotten about it and never changed it, but clearly he was still aware of it. Also didn't he move AFTER he and Aaron's final breakup? I admit I don't really know the details of how speed-dial works on regular landline phones (for the past several years I've exclusively used a cell phone, and my family's phone didn't have speed-dial), but it seems to me it would have gotten reset in the move? and Luke would have had to consciously put it back in?

The only explanation that seems very plausible is that Luke really wasn't over Aaron at all (at least not then).

I guess one other possibility is that, unbeknownst to Rory (and thus us), Luke had JUST added the number for Rory before he apologized, so that he could specifically say, "yeah well his number is on speed-dial ___"

Anyway it's interesting to consider and I'd completely forgotten about it until just now.

Take care and have a great day all,

Kevin

Edited by AFriendlyFace
The only explanation that seems very plausible is that Luke really wasn't over Aaron at all (at least not then).

The last chapter suggests that he wasn't over Aaron even at the very end of the story:

I couldn
Edited by DavyReader

I only found this story a few days ago and started to read it, I have since sat up till 4 in the morning reading, I have printed off chapters to read when I canot be home and have genrally become obsessed. This has to be the best story I have read for this genre ever (and i have read alot). I fell in love with the chracters and the story and was constantly surprised at the turns it took. Although the ability to portray the chracters is a true gift as I was waiting for Aaron to show his true colours and for Seth to admit he liked Rory. It wasn't because the writing is done in an obvious way but because the writing is so well done you get a feel for each chracter. It also gets bonus points for not being unrealistic in that most writers would choose the obvious choice of Luke and Rory together some would even get a happy ending by making chracters like Dave gay and in love with Luke. It has been refreshing to see someone willing to take a more interesting and difficult route rather than an easy one.

I admit getting nervous and sad towards the end, I had to skip ahead to make sure Eddie was not killed off but the last chapter did not dissapoint. I did hope it would continue for a long time but It also ended in the right place and in a really good way. I think most authors feel the need for a dramatic end to a story, most would have a major chracter death to be able to end the story. Writing a happy ending and new beginning is not so easy to do when writing the final chapter and I was very glad the way this story ended. I really hope this story gets published as I would buy it in an instant to save me printing chapters off to read on the bus. Thanks for a great story.

I only found this story a few days ago and started to read it, I have since sat up till 4 in the morning reading, I have printed off chapters to read when I canot be home and have genrally become obsessed. This has to be the best story I have read for this genre ever (and i have read alot). I fell in love with the chracters and the story and was constantly surprised at the turns it took. Although the ability to portray the chracters is a true gift as I was waiting for Aaron to show his true colours and for Seth to admit he liked Rory. It wasn't because the writing is done in an obvious way but because the writing is so well done you get a feel for each chracter. It also gets bonus points for not being unrealistic in that most writers would choose the obvious choice of Luke and Rory together some would even get a happy ending by making chracters like Dave gay and in love with Luke. It has been refreshing to see someone willing to take a more interesting and difficult route rather than an easy one.

I admit getting nervous and sad towards the end, I had to skip ahead to make sure Eddie was not killed off but the last chapter did not dissapoint. I did hope it would continue for a long time but It also ended in the right place and in a really good way. I think most authors feel the need for a dramatic end to a story, most would have a major chracter death to be able to end the story. Writing a happy ending and new beginning is not so easy to do when writing the final chapter and I was very glad the way this story ended. I really hope this story gets published as I would buy it in an instant to save me printing chapters off to read on the bus. Thanks for a great story.

Hey Mark,

Hmm, so since you read the whole thing without any influence from others on the forum, do you mind if I ask you a few questions? Just to see how people reading independently felt.

Were you suspicious of Aaron all along? Or were you willing to believe he'd changed when he and Rory first got together?

What was your initial feeling toward Seth? I couldn't stand him until the night he walked Rory to the door after the party incident.

Did you figure out that Luke was into Rory AND Dave? Or just one or the other?

Finally, did you think 35 was going to be the last chapter?

Anyway I'm just fascinated by people's different perspectives, and the difference it makes reading something all at once (or as much as you want) on your own versus chapter by chapter interspersed with group discussion.

Anyway welcome to the forum, and be sure to check out Dom's over work!

WOW!!!! What can a person say that hasn't already been said during these 7 pages!! :2thumbs:

I have put off reading DD for some time now. Have a thing about not reading until the "Fat Lady Sings". So last week I started reading DD and finished last night, late. I'm glad I waited -- reading 1 -36 over a few days, packing it into a short time frame, gave a powerful read of a truly great story. I loved every minute.

Thank you so much for sharing Desert Storm with us Dom. :worship::worship::worship::worship:

Hey Mark,

Hmm, so since you read the whole thing without any influence from others on the forum, do you mind if I ask you a few questions? Just to see how people reading independently felt.

Were you suspicious of Aaron all along? Or were you willing to believe he'd changed when he and Rory first got together?

What was your initial feeling toward Seth? I couldn't stand him until the night he walked Rory to the door after the party incident.

Did you figure out that Luke was into Rory AND Dave? Or just one or the other?

Finally, did you think 35 was going to be the last chapter?

Anyway I'm just fascinated by people's different perspectives, and the difference it makes reading something all at once (or as much as you want) on your own versus chapter by chapter interspersed with group discussion.

Anyway welcome to the forum, and be sure to check out Dom's over work!

Hey, I will be happy to answer your questions,

I never trusted Aaron even when he was being likeable I was suspicious of him and was waiting for him to hurt Rory, I was just glad Rory found out before their relationship got more in depth. I think it is all down to the writing, Aaron was pinned as the bad guy from the start and the way the story progressed allowed you to feel sorry for him and the wrong choices he had made. But there was also subtle hints in the story to show how manipulative Aaron was with Rory, it ranged from the way he kissed Rory to the way he ignored him after being sexual with him. I think all through it Dom's writing could make you question your judgement of Aaron and i really tried to accept that maybe Dom would keep him with Rory but it never sat right with me. I think after Aaron more or less forced Rory into the situation of sucking him off knowing Rory's inexperience and never once checking that Rory was ok with it sealed the deal for me. I stopped trying to accept that he had changed and decided he was using Rory, though i did think it was to get back at Luke. But like i say my gut instinct from the start told me Aaron would hurt Rory, though I dod like Aaron as a chracter, just not with Rory.

See i liked Seth and maybe it is because i was happy that someone was telling Rory to stay away from Aaron but I did like him. I also found it amusing when he refused to move at the cinema. I think i fgured out early on that Seth had nothing against Rory, the way he warned Rory about Aaron came off that he knew what Aaron was like and though Rory would be better off away from him, he seemed more concerned that Rory would get hurt and i saw that despite Dom giving us Rory's perception that Seth was jealous and still into Aaron. Though I did think that Seth and Aaron were together and Aaron was using Rory to wind Seth up and Seth was trying to warn Rory what Aaron was like. I loved it when he offered Rory a ride home and wanted to slap Rory into realising Seth was the good guy. *is a Seth fan*

Luke and Rory were my fave pairing till Rory got with Seth, I saw it from teh start and really did think Dom would have them together till Seth turned up. It was obvious to me that the way the connected and the touches Luke gave Rory, not to mention how he brushed up against him that time before either of them were out. It always seemed more to me than just a friendship and not just from Rory's side. I was actually a little dissapointed that nothing happened between them, I have a feeling it would have been intense. eve though they were really comfortable with eachother their was plenty of sexual tension building between them. But I think Dom made the right choice in not pairing them, it wa more realistic that they would decide to ignore the mutual attraction because of Seth and their friendship and living together.

I did wonder about Dave and Luke, even wondered if Dave would turn out bi or something, and it is so easy for best friends to cross that line of friendship, even if only in your mind and it makes sense because it is easy to see the perfect partner in your best friend. But I did convince myself Dave was straight and figured that Luke probably had thought of Dave that way but I didn't see Dave being the crush that was making in unhappy, though the signs were there, I just never picked them up.

I did check ahead when i was half way through to see if it was finished, I saw chapter 36 was the last chapter and was fairly dissapointed that it would be ending as it is a story that could keep going.

Hope you enjoy my ramblings it really is a great stry to discuss, I am really glad i didn't have to wait for chapters though, think i would have gone insane. I have ust finished the Log way which was great and going to read the ordinary us now, going to go crazy when i run out of his stories. Thanks for the welcome, glad to have found this place.