• Site Moderator
Also, I think that the reason Dave was sleeping on Luke's floor is because he gave in to Luke's desires and didn't want to get caught, so when he was done putting it on Luke, he slept on the floor.

Nick

I have to disagree with you on this part, Nick. Being the friend that Dave is, he slept in Luke's room to be there incase Luked needed him for support during the night. True friends will do that. If you think back, Luke did the same thing for Rory. He spent a couple of nights sleeping on the floor in Rory's room. He as there if he was needed. Just knowing that someone is there close by can help. They don't have to be sharing a bed.

I just wanted to add my 2 cents to this. Dom, Thanks!!!! I have read all your stories (except the Vamp one) and there is no way I could pick one as my favorite. They have all been wonderful. DD was very compelling for me, I waited eagerly for each chapter, and although I think it would have been neat for Rory and Luke to have hooked up as more than best friends, I always feel the author knows best, and always waited to see what neet twist would come next.

Thanks again Dom, I really do enjoy your work.

Mike

This is a great story. By far it is one of the best that I have read.

I am so happy that Rory was able to understand that he truly was loved, and that he had a family even though his mother was gone.

:2thumbs: Great work Dom! :2thumbs:

I think that this was a great end to DD. It gave me answers to all my questions.

Thank you Dom.

Kurt

BTW did you mean TLW is your favourite and Owen is a fascinating character, or TOU is your favourite and Quinn is a fascinating character....or was that just two random statements stuck together? Anyway I love them both! ALOT, but I think TLW is my favourite.

I readily admit to easily confusing characters with names that begin with the same letter, so does "O" and "Q" count? They're sort of alike.

I meant the obsessive one... you know, whatshisname. And TOU. Although TLW did have my namesake it in (we're nothing alike although I can be a little cranky). Actually, the Dennis in TLW reminded me a lot of a guy I had a crush on in High School. On the other hand, since DD shares my initials, perhaps I should change my mind and make that story my favorite. I think I'm rambling now.

I think I'll just go off and have a "senior moment."

:wacko:

Seriously, I find myself feeling very sad when I come to this site and realize that there will never again be a new chapter of DD. :( That story got to me more than I knew. :great:

Dennis

Really not a lot to add to all that's been said - except THANKS a zillion for the whole story, Dom. First time I have read on as-it-appears (well at least since the "suspension") and it has been an amazing emotional ride.

I join the supporters of DLNTBP (DomLuka Needs to be Publilshed) but I also agree it's great he is reaching such a wide audience on here. If only I had had Dom when I was 17!! (No don't take that the wrong way, guys....!! :wub: )

Fantastic stuff and I am already fascinated by Milo Trust......... :wacko:

Neil

On the one hand I am relieved that Rory and Seth are happy now, on the other hand I am sad that the story is over. Personally, I liked the interaction between Aaron, Rory, and Seth most. Dom is at his finest, when it comes to describing subtle, ambiguous relationships based on sexual attraction.

I think two main subjects were layed out in the story: gay family building, and different types of love. While Rory and Seth build their relationship on reliability and care, Luke and Aaron seem to have shared a romantic passion. Their love was, however, doomed to fail due to Aaron's selfishness that mirrored his loneliness. Aaron turned out to be unobtainable, because Luke couldn't get to him even when they were boyfriends. In the end the two of them were able to make up, but what was the price? On doomsday it's too late to repent.

Awww, I'm not bashing your opinion by any means, but I am curious. What didn't you like about Seth?

I've mentioned it before, but I just find him boring. Everything he does is saccharin sweet, cliche, and tritely predictable. He has no real emotion, no animation, and about as much passion as a wooden plank. He does everything that he's "supposed" to do, and, conversely, does nothing to make him interesting as a character.

And before it starts... "But he wrote his number in the sand!" :thumbdown: That's the kind of crap that makes me absolutely hate him.

I would have rather seen Rory end up with Luke. Or better yet... alone. Seth was the least interesting character in the entire story, and yet the relationship between Rory and Seth ends up seeing the most development. I'd have much rather seen Rory spend more time forging real bonds with Eddie or (especially) Jase than his summer fling. At least Aaron provided entertainment with his hot/cold personality.

Edited by storymonger

Thanks for a very fulfilling story Dom! A small part of me thinks it's a bit unrealistic how everything perfectly settled into place for Dom in the end, but I think leaving loose ends would have driven me bonkers.

Thanks again! :read:

I loved the ending, it was great and very...final...but I felt like some things were missing. For example, I was looking forward to learn more about Jarred (**coughvampirecough**) and his family. Maybe a bit about Seth's mom reminding Rory of his own mom...and of course, Rory coming out to Jason and Nathan. I'm a whore for coming out stories....and I was sort of hoping to see one. Otherwise, it was brilliant.

Usually I have more insight, but everyone already spoke their share, and my share is pretty much the same.

Edited by MayaMys

That was an wonderful ending for a wonderful story. It seems a little sad that it's over when you have followed the story for so long. I feel that i should thank you for not only writing Desert Dropping but for shraing it with all of the people who follow your work. Never stop writing.

Cheers,

Jennifer

I guess I am a little slow on the uptake and have only just finished the chapter. Wonder if anyone will get around to reading this comment? Oh, what the heck.....

Clearly, having invested over a year in reading this story, I am sad to see it end, but know that it was time. It goes w/o saying that it was enjoyable, moving, etc. If not, why was I there right until the end?

I guess what always gets me about Dom's (or should we call him Nicky?) writing is that invariably, he seems to pull into the story some aspect of real life (ok, parts of MY life) to which I can totally relate. It is almost eerie. Makes me feel like he is someone who knows me...

Ok, enough goofing off, Nicky, get back to Milo (I love that name....I've always been attracted to the Milo character in Bloom County).

pax,

notTed

I guess I am a little slow on the uptake and have only just finished the chapter. Wonder if anyone will get around to reading this comment? Oh, what the heck.....

pax,

Hi notTed

Just to let you know that I read your comment. I keep thinking what it is about Dom's stories I love so much. My life has been nothing like his stories But they are extraordinary in how they change from moments of incredible tension, to moments of sheer delight and fun and of course the endless dialogue with eros.

Gearoid

I guess what always gets me about Dom's (or should we call him Nicky?) writing is that invariably, he seems to pull into the story some aspect of real life (ok, parts of MY life) to which I can totally relate. It is almost eerie. Makes me feel like he is someone who knows me...

Ok, enough goofing off, Nicky, get back to Milo (I love that name....I've always been attracted to the Milo character in Bloom County).

Nicky? Am I missing something here??? :wacko:

Guest legalkiwi

Thanks Dom for an amazing story!

I had to join the forum after that final chapter - couldn't just read it and walk away like I have with all the others. The time, energy and emotion you put into DD is amazing, and I just wanted to say thanks for sharing it with us all.

I could go into detail about all the bits I liked and stuff, but I'm only a "domaholic" in training, so I'll leave it up to the rest of you for now! I endorse what everyone said! Except the people who didn't like Seth!

Keep it up Dom!

P.S. The clickable smilies are cool! (Forgive me, I'm a newbie!) An appropriate one for a "legalkiwi": :sheep: (sorry if I'm confusing anyone...)

I think that his phone number in the dirt, his little quirks, his understanding, and even his fighting with Rory in the beginning were all things that provided animation you say he’s lacking.

Except for I feel like all of that is predictable, not animated. Maybe it's just that it's a fairly typical path for Dom (minus the boyfriend). At least one "enemy" in every story gets redeemed, and since Aaron had went too far with Luke, the only real candidate was always Seth. And if you know that from the start, Seth's actions in the story are almost color by number.

That said, I can't stand Seth. I never will. No amount of explaining is going to change that. I've heard all the reasons for why he's the best boyfriend ever for Rory on these boards. And I'm not buying one of them. So please, everyone, don't feel like you need to expose me to the greatness that is Seth. It's just going to be a waste of time all around.

But, as the story ended up, I think Seth was the right choice, and I think Dom chose him because he knew that Seth was going to give Rory what no one else, including Luke, could give him in that last chapter, and several other parts of this story: support.

It would have been much better if, by the end, Rory was grounded enough in his new family to find support in them. But since Rory's familial relationships outside of Luke were underdeveloped that couldn't happen.

Seth wasn't needed to provide support. He was just the only character in the story that was allowed to. We saw several glimpses of Jase being able to fill that role just fine, and even Eddie. But since the focus stayed on Rory's romances, it just never got there.

I mean, I really did/do like DD. But the parts of the story I was most interested in felt underdeveloped, while the parts of the story I was least interested in got a lot of page time. So ending it like this is just bittersweet for me, at best.

Edited by storymonger
Guest Icekid

Yep, me again... Since I finished DD a couple of days ago, I decided yesterday to step in to the deep end, and start reading TLW...

No I have officially shown up late for work because of 2 of Dom

I mean, I really did/do like DD. But the parts of the story I was most interested in felt underdeveloped, while the parts of the story I was least interested in got a lot of page time. So ending it like this is just bittersweet for me, at best.

My sentiments exactly.

It's entirely possible that someone will read your comment. Who knows, it's even possible that they might quote it and reply to it... 0:):D:D:D

Clearly, having invested over a year in reading this story, I am sad to see it end, but know that it was time. It goes w/o saying that it was enjoyable, moving, etc. If not, why was I there right until the end?

Nicky?? Hmmmm... I'm fairly new here, so that one puzzles me. But, there was a Nicky in TLW... Hmmmmm... Maybe that Nicky is Dom writing himself into the story? (blatant speculation here).

Wow! That last chapter was the best.

Too bad about Aaron though. But maybe he will become an actual likeable person after he recovers from this experience.

Hopefully there will be a sequel.

Edited by Jeffs0418