Message added by Myr,

Carlos passed away on Jun 16, 2023:

OK. Is there really any reason for the  '...' break in this exchange? It was slightly disconcerting as I tried to determine if more time had passed here.

“I’ll get it,” said César, standing up when the doorbell rang. “It better not be Jehovah Witnesses again. I might have to start praying for deliverance from preaching.”

• • •

“Doc! Nice surprise. Come in. How was New York?”

Now you're gonna get my editor all riled up against me. LOL

The break was initially above the Jehova Witnesses line from Cesar. Here's the comment Mann left me about it in his edit notes:

Are marks for a scene break really needed here?

Here's my reply to him;

I was trying to show some time passing before Doc joined in?

Second reason is it’s a break in plotlines. I’m using the townhouse and the guys showing up to recap each of them. Unless it’s really bad I’d prefer to keep them

Of course, Mann respected my wishes and didn't harass me any further on that point. (Trust me he ain't shy about telling me off when I do something real silly).

Unfortunately, the scene shift markers were moved to right before the greeting, in a misguided attempt to improve the situation. (I'm not naming names but I'm pretty sure the author is the guilty party.)

In the end, they're not necessary in either position. You're absolutely correct. My OCD wanted them, to match the break used between the scenes wrapping up the other plotlines from the trip. I should have written a few more lines to indicate more passage of time, I'll plead guilty to lazyness, and to fear of overwriting a scene.

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

I must admit this was a bit of a "wham, bam, thank you ma'am" kind of chapter. Rather fitting, I think after such a busy weekend. An awful lot happened individually among the group of friends so it's not surprising that the update/wrap up was busy and hectic as well.

I am keen to see how a multitude of hanging plot threads play out in future chapters. 

I Liked the chapter already (as if I wouldn't :lol:) and the review is in the works.

• Like 1

Now you're gonna get my editor all riled up against me. LOL

The break was initially above the Jehova Witnesses line from Cesar. Here's the comment Mann left me about it in his edit notes:

Are marks for a scene break really needed here?

Here's my reply to him;

I was trying to show some time passing before Doc joined in?

Second reason is it’s a break in plotlines. I’m using the townhouse and the guys showing up to recap each of them. Unless it’s really bad I’d prefer to keep them

Of course, Mann respected my wishes and didn't harass me any further on that point. (Trust me he ain't shy about telling me off when I do something real silly).

Unfortunately, the scene shift markers were moved to right before the greeting, in a misguided attempt to improve the situation. (I'm not naming names but I'm pretty sure the author is the guilty party.)

In the end, they're not necessary in either position. You're absolutely correct. My OCD wanted them, to match the break used between the scenes wrapping up the other plotlines from the trip. I should have written a few more lines to indicate more passage of time, I'll plead guilty to lazyness, and to fear of overwriting a scene.

I read the break as a shift in scene from kitchen and the group already gathered to the frontdoor and Doc's return so it clicked for me.

• Like 3

I must admit this was a bit of a "wham, bam, thank you ma'am" kind of chapter. Rather fitting, I think after such a busy weekend. An awful lot happened individually among the group of friends so it's not surprising that the update/wrap up was busy and hectic as well.

I am keen to see how a multitude of hanging plot threads play out in future chapters. 

I Liked the chapter already (as if I wouldn't :lol:) and the review is in the works.

I think I've said this before but whenever I'm faced with bringing together a bunch of separate stories involving separate characters, I try to think of one of the old Neil Simon plays/movies. In this case I wanted to do a quick wrap up of each of the trips and then bring all the strings together in one spot. The Georgetown townhouse seemed like the perfect place to do the recap and let everyone know what the others had been doing.

That was one of the reasons there wasn't much about Brett and Cesar in the previous chapters! :P

• Like 1

I read the break as a shift in scene from kitchen and the group already gathered to the frontdoor and Doc's return so it clicked for me.

That was the intent Dugh. It could have probably been handled a bit better by adding a couple more sentences. If I ever revise the chapter you better believe I'll be adding them LOL

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

I think I've said this before but whenever I'm faced with bringing together a bunch of separate stories involving separate characters, I try to think of one of the old Neil Simon plays/movies. In this case I wanted to do a quick wrap up of each of the trips and then bring all the strings together in one spot. The Georgetown townhouse seemed like the perfect place to do the recap and let everyone know what the others had been doing.

That was one of the reasons there wasn't much about Brett and Cesar in the previous chapters! :P

Yes, yes it was great to see Cesar (notice I didn't say Carlos this time...:gikkle:) and Brett in this chapter. They are like the Grand Masters that hold this bunch together.

• Like 1

Last night, channel surfing while waiting for I show I was interested in to begin, I ended up watching THE VOICE for a bit. Even though I've mostly ignored the past couple of seasons, I'm glad I did. One of the contestants, a kid from Texas, immediately reminded me of CJ. Chance Peña is a muscular (his parents own a gym), dark-haired, fifteen-year-old boy with more poise than many sixty-year-old men. That's my boy if CJ could sing LOL

He made it into the show, he's part of Adam Levine's team. Guess I'm gonna have to watch.

EDIT

Oh, and he gets into bars back home in Texas!!!

Edited by Carlos Hazday
  • Site Moderator

Last night, channel surfing while waiting for I show I was interested in to begin, I ended up watching THE VOICE for a bit. Even though I've mostly ignored the past couple of seasons, I'm glad I did. One of the contestants, a kid from Texas, immediately reminded me of CJ. Chance Peña is a muscular (his parents own a gym), dark-haired, fifteen-year-old boy with more poise than many sixty-year-old men. That's my boy if CJ could sing LOL

He made it into the show, he's part of Adam Levine's team. Guess I'm gonna have to watch.

Guess I'm going to have to google this....sometimes, I do wish I still had cable...no, not really.... :)

Yes, yes it was great to see Cesar (notice I didn't say Carlos this time... :gikkle:) and Brett in this chapter. They are like the Grand Masters that hold this bunch together.

LOL... The Emperor rules over his far flung empire from the comfort of his palace

Guess I'm going to have to google this....sometimes, I do wish I still had cable...no, not really.... :)

Duh! Why didn't I think of that! It's playing in the background right now. THANK YOU! :worship:

• Site Moderator

CJ can't sing? Why not?

• Like 1

CJ can't sing? Why not?

TA DA! This my 1,000th post. Noticed I was at 999 after the last one. :2thumbs:

CJ can't sing for two reasons:

1- He inherited the trait from me. I mean, I sing all the time but people definitely wish I didn't. :lol:

2- Tyson Hill. Marc McNally's a dear friend, and his main character's a singer. Our writing styles have been compared, there are similarities in our approach to how our characters interact, and someone accused me of plagiarism once already. Complently unfounded, since my scene had been written months before. I was way ahead in writing, so his reached readers first. I'm very concious of how certain writers 'borrow' ideas from stories they read and I'm trying very hard to make mine as original as possible.

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator

Duh! Why didn't I think of that! It's playing in the background right now. THANK YOU! :worship:

WOW! Just watched this kid on YouTube and listened to the judges comments. He is amazing and his family is so adorable with their pride.

Thanks for mentioning him or I would never have known.  And yeah, I can picture CJ like this too. :)

felicitaciones 1000!

felicitaciones 1000

felicitaciones 1000

felicitaciones 1000

felicitaciones 1000

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 1

WOW! Just watched this kid on YouTube and listened to the judges comments. He is amazing and his family is so adorable with their pride.

Thanks for mentioning him or I would never have known.  And yeah, I can picture CJ like this too. :)

I loved his voice. If I was 16 I'd be chasing him down. If he makes it far enough there's gonna be a lot of teeny bopper screaming whenever he takes the stage! LOL

• Like 1

I loved his voice. If I was 16 I'd be chasing him down. If he makes it far enough there's gonna be a lot of teeny bopper screaming whenever he takes the stage! LOL

I've gotta check that out, missed the openning episodes. Last season's winner was a cute 16 kid, Sawyer Frederickson, who had a great voice.

• Like 1

I've gotta check that out, missed the openning episodes. Last season's winner was a cute 16 kid, Sawyer Frederickson, who had a great voice.

I'll have to check out Sawyer. Haven't paid much attention to the show recently but I'm going to keep an eye Chance this season.

• Like 1

TA DA! This my 1,000th post. Noticed I was at 999 after the last one. :2thumbs:

CJ can't sing for two reasons:

1- He inherited the trait from me. I mean, I sing all the time but people definitely wish I didn't. :lol:

2- Tyson Hill. Marc McNally's a dear friend, and his main character's a singer. Our writing styles have been compared, there are similarities in our approach to how our characters interact, and someone accused me of plagiarism once already. Complently unfounded, since my scene had been written months before. I was way ahead in writing, so his reached readers first. I'm very concious of how certain writers 'borrow' ideas from stories they read and I'm trying very hard to make mine as original as possible.

I follow both stories and recognized the similiar writing styles, both are excellent reads. I know what you're referring to but never once considered you'd borrowed the idea. Those that make accusations usually do it based on what they might have done in the circumstance so I view them as biased.

Edited by dughlas
  • Like 1

Two more numbers--aside from posting my 1000th comment on GA--which don't mean much in the big picture, but are minor personal milestones:

The latest chapter of Autum pushed my total posted words to over 250,000 and my total likes to over 3,500.

Thanks to all of you for making it possible!

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

Two more numbers--aside from posting my 1000th comment on GA--which don't mean much in the big picture, but are minor personal milestones:

The latest chapter of Autum pushed my total posted words to over 250,000 and my total likes to over 3,500.

Damn!! Out of Likes. :lol: 

I know I gave you some yesterday (as the most recent) but, I will add, most impressive!  :)

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 1

Damn!! Out of Likes. :lol:

I know I gave you some yesterday (as the most recent) but, I will add, most impressive!  :)

Thanks, 1810. I think everyone keeps an eye on those numbers, I try not to attach too much significance to them but hell, I'm human LOL

Can't wait for Chapter 16 to post next week and see what new milestones it brings :D

• Site Moderator

Thanks, 1810. I think everyone keeps an eye on those numbers, I try not to attach too much significance to them but hell, I'm human LOL

Can't wait for Chapter 16 to post next week and see what new milestones it brings :D

I can't wait to read it! :yes:

• Like 1

I've finally caught up so I can peek in here..

Congrats on 1000, and Autumn's milestones. You make it so that we keep coming back, so keep up the great work sir! 

• Like 1

I've finally caught up so I can peek in here..

Congrats on 1000, and Autumn's milestones. You make it so that we keep coming back, so keep up the great work sir! 

I hope I can keep it going. The initial drafts of Summer and Autum where each around 50k words. Both those counts fell by the wayside. I'm polishing the last chapter of Autumn this week, we'll end up with Summer around 75k and Autumn around 100k. The story benefits from the response of the readers who make me want to put out a quality product.

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

Okay, so I admit to messing up in my review just a teensy bit. :gikkle:

What I should have said was mention the threads that are still in play, rather than the start of something new.

BUT re review response

Reply from Carlos Hazday (author)

Starting new ones? Oh no, did I start something I'm not aware of? I think I reached my limit on juggling!.

Technically, the spat between Brett, Cesar and CJ is new because it only showed up in this chapter. :)

• Like 1

What I should have said was mention the threads that are still in play, rather than the start of something new.

BUT re review response

Starting new ones? Oh no, did I start something I'm not aware of? I think I reached my limit on juggling!.

Technically, the spat between Brett, Cesar and CJ is new because it only showed up in this chapter. :)

Quite. As is Doc becoming a dad, and Dragon and King may or may not be splitsville. But that's only if we're being technical.  :P

• Like 3

BUT re review response

You scared me! I know I complicate my plot more than most writers but I'm trying to keep it reasonable. One reviewer mentioned he's used to stories with 4 main characters at most and with Autumn he's dealing with at least 9 according to him. By my count there's about a dozen primary cast members right now. That may be changing real soon LOL

• Like 1