If My Little Pony decals on the fingernails add to the story, put 'em in. If it's Mac Weldon boxer briefs made of long-staple Egyptian cotton with a 512 thread count, in pomegranate and puce diagonal stripes with contrasting overstitching in silk embroidery floss of a pale celery color, well, that's just silly.

:rofl:

• Like 3

Underwear - I recently read a book, Space Ship Boys by Erik Ritler, where underwear played an important part in the story. Until then I had never thought much about it. But Erik went so far as to research and highlight designs and styles.

My opinion is that underwear took on a more prominent roll when a fashion emerged to where your jeans halfway down your arse. So your underwear was now on public display. This trend no doubt gave a boost to designer underwear with the brand name prominently sown into the elastic at the top.

Kids now needed the latest cool underwear just as they did those branded sneakers! Nothing new here, except where previous generations had worried about wearing the right jacket, shirts and footwear, the new generation extended this to underwear.

Today underwear is a sexy fashion assessory designed to show off to the best possible effect the package you've got between your legs and that cute arse!

• Like 4

When done well, it adds dimension to a character, and there's enough connotation attached to certain styles that let them act as shorthand.

I had intended to give each of the EPIC guys their own underwear preference, but it really only to contribute anything to Cory and Preston's characterizations (well, Preston's at least, Cory's trunks were more about Efrain's fixation on his assets). 

• Like 4

I don't say I have a thing for underwears. But as some of the above said, I too support that the characterisation according to underwears is fine and I agree that everything that we told in story has their part in succession of particular scene or story.

Ps: I do like boys with variety of underwears. ;)

• Like 2

I have described underwear in stories, but not in great detail. I think it depends on the scene and what you're trying to convey.  

In your story, Unexpected Liaisons, the description of Z's underwear was important to the story, because his character was evolving... changing.  The fact that we went from baggy t-shrts and jogging pants, to jeans and shiny satin boxers with lace trim, because it turned Zander on, showed that change with having to say "Zupan changed".  

Thus far in my stories there hasn't been a need for that level of description beyond a cursory "_____ removed his boxer briefs."

• Like 4
  • 2 months later...

Okay to answer the question, because I've written more than I've published. 

I only concern myself with underwear (I often refer to them as drawers, or underpants--particularly if my characters are from the US South or close to the US South, like say Kentuckiana) if they are necessary for the scene.  In general the type of underwear worn is categorized by the needs of the scene, unless other factors come into consideration.

1.  Type of scene:  Changing in the locker room usually require jock straps or Y fronts.  Compression shorts might also be used too.  Loose boxers won't work with a wrestling singlet obviously, but might for other sports.

2.  Time period of the work in general.  For example Y-fronts and boxers prior to 1930 are a no-no.  Boxer briefs prior to 1998 are only suitable if we're speaking of designer underwear--specifically Calvin Klein. [Yes, I've researched this.]

3.  Any fetishes or themes.  I classify kink underwear (leather briefs, or chastity devices/garments for example) to be fetish equipment.  A story concerning itself with teenagers exploring their sexuality has no place for that type of underwear (though there may be other types of underwear where it is suitable).  In general I consider jock straps and compression shorts/tights to be athletic equipment.  Stories where in athletics does not feature at all have no need for jock straps or compression shorts/tights unless (a) character(s) have a particular fetish with them.

In short, I treat underwear much like I would any other article of clothing.  It has to be appropriate for the type of scene, the time period of the scene and the theme of the work.

• Like 3
On 30/04/2017 at 4:02 AM, AK79 said:

2.  Time period of the work in general.  For example Y-fronts and boxers prior to 1930 are a no-no.  Boxer briefs prior to 1998 are only suitable if we're speaking of designer underwear--specifically Calvin Klein. [Yes, I've researched this.]

This is an interesting point. I have in the past read a story, which was medieval fantasy. And suddenly the character was wearing boxer-briefs and it utterly shattered the immersion in the story (which was otherwise quite good) because I couldn't get my head around that error. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Wicked Witch said:

This is an interesting point. I have in the past read a story, which was medieval fantasy. And suddenly the character was wearing boxer-briefs and it utterly shattered the immersion in the story (which was otherwise quite good) because I couldn't get my head around that error. 

It would have done the same to me unless the story was Marky Mark in King Arthur's Court.:lol:

Edited by AK79
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I admit it, I have a huge underwear fetish.  Not other people, I enjoy buying and wearing lots of different styles.  I like them for me and wear them so I can feel sexy.  I don't own underwear that are "comfortable".  I say that, because people tend to say boxers are for wearing around the house or sleeping in.  I don't own boxers and rarely even wear boxer briefs.  Too bad my current boyfriend doesn't care about underwear one way or the other.  

As for description in story, I never have liked reading/writing when the author goes into great detail about clothing, mainly mentioning brand names drives me crazy.  I find that to be self-serving in many ways.  But some would argue that its important to mention brands to establish the character as rich or poor.  I would say show through action to establish those threads.  Merely mentioning that Brad wears Calvin Klein underwear is lazy, and doesn't add anything to the story at all.  If he's a straight jock male, he's probably going to be wearing Calvin Klein.  This tends to date the story as trends come and go.  I always try to be generic as possible and let the reader put his/her own spin on how hot the lead is and what they are wearing.  

And this is coming from a guy that has more undies than any one person should ever have. 

My thoughts, and not good thoughts either.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I love writing about underwear!

It's absolutely essential to get it right too, so research is required. I like to include graphic descriptions of underwear in every chapter of every story that I write, whether it's in context or not!

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I love writing about underwear!

It's absolutely essential to get it right too, so research is required. I like to include graphic descriptions of underwear in every chapter of every story that I write, whether it's in context or not!

Who cares about the story! What are you wearing? LOL! 😉

Edited by BlindAmbition
  • Like 3