Question: Ever Wrote A Story, You Ended Up Hating?

Brayon

I saw this question posted on a Queer SciFi Writers Facebook Group.

Have you ever written a story, that Readers and Editors loved, but for some reason, you ended up hating your own work?

For me, not yet. While writing, I've found elements I didn't like and rewrote those sections before they ever appeared to anyone. What about you all?

• Like 3

I've had a story go in an unexpected direction by introducing a character who was supposed to be a minor background character but ended up becoming more and throwing my entire outline out the window.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

I saw this question posted on a Queer SciFi Writers Facebook Group.

Have you ever written a story, that Readers and Editors loved, but for some reason, you ended up hating your own work?

For me, not yet. While writing, I've found elements I didn't like and rewrote those sections before they ever appeared to anyone. What about you all?

Good question.  The answer for me is no.  I've written a couple of stories that I think I could have done better with, but I don't hate them.  I have had the opposite happen.  I wrote a story for an antho once that I never submitted because my team disliked it so much.  I'm still working on revising it.  

• Like 1

Quite the opposite.  I'll write something that I love, but my beta reader will hate it.  When that happens, the story usually doesn't see the light of day. :P

I have had readers comment that they like a character in my stories that I personally don't like.  And there is a story that I once wrote that I personally was a little uncomfortable with but that most of my readers seem to love.  But I don't hate any of my stories.  I write what I like to read. :)

• Like 3

It's not the whole story I hate, although it may as well be.  I started a story and my central character has turned into someone who I really dislike.  He's incredibly annoying to me, and as such, I'm currently punishing him by not finishing the story.  It's not on GA for now, as I'm trying to restrict my works here to things that are (or very likely to be) finished.

Edited by Sam Wyer
  • Like 1

Yes, my first two stories posted, ever, are two stories that I don't really like. I see them as building blocks to where I am today in my writing so they have done some good despite the fact that I'm no longer a fan of them. I'm definitely not going to shy away from the fact that they're bad and poorly written. A total rewrite would do them both some good... but I don't have the time or energy to take on such things. 

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

I've had a few stories go awry... and they never saw the light of day... but I didn't hate them, per se.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Bumping this topic, because, yeah, I now have one I've written I wish I never published. 

My Star Trek FanFiction based on STO. I wrote the first chapter, have done some creative storytelling with the guild I'm in. But I just have no drive to continue it as a Narrative.

• Site Administrator

You know, I was going through my story archive and I found one that people loved that I had trouble with.  It was posted and a lot of people had given feedback on it.  I successfully disappeared the story.  And I'm not even going to say the title in case someone remembers it.  I do plan on fixing it someday and posting it again.  I had kind of forgotten about it.

• Like 1

For me personally, I sometimes end up not liking certain elements I incorporated into my story, and I eventually either remove or refine those elements if they're minor or just scrap the story altogether and rewrite it if the elements are too major for me to change like I did a few times with stories prior to the creation of Hero Wanted.  In addition, I look back at the first stories I have written and really like how I used certain elements, and reincorporate them into a new story that I'm writing.  So, I don't hate any of the stories I have written yet since they actually serve as a template for how I write my current stories today.

• Like 1

Hmmm, you know, I have a ton of stories that I've written that I'm not happy with myself, but I don't think I've had ones that readers actually loved and I hated. Then again, the reason I always take so long is because I don't publish anything that I don't really feel connected to. For any reason.

Now, I've released things that I look back on and I WISH I had taken the time to make them a lot better, and I've released things that I was happy with, but readers didn't like at all...but I can't say that both scenarios have ever crossed paths. That said, I might go back and read something that I wrote years ago and think, "Ugh! This is awful! I should redo this whole series!" But that's just because I'm self conscious about my own stuff and always feel like it can be better. But sometimes it's just about capturing that one moment, and that one mood, in that one particular point in my life. It would be like going back and re-editing a term paper I wrote in high school. Sure, I have more practice and knowledge now to make it a better project...but it wouldn't be the same 'me' that originally wrote it. You know?

I'm getting weird now. LOL! I'll leave it at that. 

• Like 2

I once entered a poetry writing contest in the 10th Grade. Looking back, my submission was pretty horrible. Not only did my inspiration come from the plot summary of an anime film I'd never even seen, but I even made the stanzas RHYME!  :o:facepalm::blushing: If poetry only has one rule, it would be: Rhyming verses are for simple audiences. I managed to earn myself an honorable mention, though. If I'd tried harder, I probably could've  won 1st Place. :) Everyone who entered the contest received a spiral-bound "anthology" of all the submissions. Now, I cringe every time I imagine someone reading my entry. :gikkle:

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..