New Members Welcome-Introduce Yourself!

robbie1042

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I'm an 18 year old, pansexual female writer and new to Gay Authors. I'm currently working on a light novel called Rough Diamond, which I'm really enjoying writing. Rough Diamond started off as practice for my complicated science fiction/fantasy romance novel 'Summerland,' but when I posted it on Fictionpress the popularity convinced me to take the story more seriously. It's a little cliche and a little minimalistic, and probably needs editing, but is very fun to write. I'd sub-genre it as 'slash', but that brings me to a question I wanted to ask.

Whats' the difference between Slash fiction and Gay fiction? I always assumed that slash fiction was usually written by females for a female target audiance, but I recently read some fiction labeled 'gay fiction' and now I'm not so certain. While slash fiction is sometimes a little more romantic and a little less realistic, there doesn't seem to be that much of a difference between the two genres. Is there a difference, or are they synonyms?

Thanks!

It's difficult to research, because the definition of 'slash' varies from person to person. I think slash is more a fantasy portrayal of two men, while gay fiction is more realistic and focuses less on long-winding romances, forbidden love and dramatic love triangles, and more on the nitty, gritty reality. That's just my conclusion tough. I'm having trouble finding a definite answer ]=

Hi!

I'm an 18 year old, pansexual female writer and new to Gay Authors. I'm currently working on a light novel called Rough Diamond, which I'm really enjoying writing. Rough Diamond started off as practice for my complicated science fiction/fantasy romance novel 'Summerland,' but when I posted it on Fictionpress the popularity convinced me to take the story more seriously. It's a little cliche and a little minimalistic, and probably needs editing, but is very fun to write. I'd sub-genre it as 'slash', but that brings me to a question I wanted to ask.

Very cool! :D

Welcome aboard! :2thumbs:

Whats' the difference between Slash fiction and Gay fiction? I always assumed that slash fiction was usually written by females for a female target audiance, but I recently read some fiction labeled 'gay fiction' and now I'm not so certain. While slash fiction is sometimes a little more romantic and a little less realistic, there doesn't seem to be that much of a difference between the two genres. Is there a difference, or are they synonyms?

Thanks!

It's difficult to research, because the definition of 'slash' varies from person to person. I think slash is more a fantasy portrayal of two men, while gay fiction is more realistic and focuses less on long-winding romances, forbidden love and dramatic love triangles, and more on the nitty, gritty reality. That's just my conclusion tough. I'm having trouble finding a definite answer ]=

I would tend to agree with your definition/understanding for the most part. I would actually have made one more additional caveat though. I always thought "slash" fiction involved the fictionalizing of a relationship between two characters created elsewhere. In other words the stories involving Harry Potter and Ron (or any other male character) would be "slash" because that isn't how they were originally and explicitly created by the author (basically any fanfic with a gay twist). On the other hand a story involving a relationship between two males that I myself create would not be slash because they are my original creations. That was just my understanding though, and now that I think of it there may be a different term for what I'm describing :boy:

-Kevin

Edited by AFriendlyFace

...I always thought "slash" fiction involved the fictionalizing of a relationship between two characters created elsewhere. In other words the stories involving Harry Potter and Ron (or any other male character) would be "slash" because that isn't how they were originally and explicitly created by the author (basically any fanfic with a gay twist). On the other hand a story involving a relationship between two males that I myself create would not be slash because they are my original creations. That was just my understanding though, and now that I think of it there may be a different term for what I'm describing Posted Image

-Kevin

First, let me echo Kevin (and others') welcome. Second, thank you for raising this question, and to Kevin for offering a clear definition. I recently posted a story with characters of my own creation in a loving and sexual relationship, and was told that it was "slash fiction." I didn't agree, but--like Xephia--couldn't find a clear definition.

I propose that we (this community) adopt Kevin's definition. All in favor? (Anyone want to start a forum post on this subject?)

David

First, let me echo Kevin (and others') welcome. Second, thank you for raising this question, and to Kevin for offering a clear definition. I recently posted a story with characters of my own creation in a loving and sexual relationship, and was told that it was "slash fiction." I didn't agree, but--like Xephia--couldn't find a clear definition.

I propose that we (this community) adopt Kevin's definition. All in favor? (Anyone want to start a forum post on this subject?)

David

I think it would be fun to discuss it! Thanks for the idea, David! :D

I've just started said thread:

What Is Slash Fiction?

David

Sorry for the confusion, David. I should have put my words more carefully in my review. I meant to say 'original slash' which is a term that - we know by now - is not widely used. The story is better termed 'homoerotic fiction'.

Dolores

• Site Administrator

I just entered the premium section of this website. I have lurked for several days since I joined and decided to jump in today. I really enjoy the writer/editor forums as well as the stories. Which I have say are incredible. I have several favorite authors already. Thanks for everyone who has made this a great and welcoming site!

Cia (previously anordwell for those who I have chatted with)

I'm new to the site and I'm having trouble getting access to the chat room. It is saying that I'm not allowed. How can I change that?

I have absolutely no idea.... downloading an update of java did it for me..... welcome to the site by the way. We're all completely insane but in the nicest possibly way :)

I'm new to the site and I'm having trouble getting access to the chat room. It is saying that I'm not allowed. How can I change that?

Make four more posts and you have the run of most of the site. :)

welcome to GA Chris

Steve