2 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

I suppose one reason is his need to protect his people, so to speak. On one side we have the human caretaker - since only Finn’s dad knew the truth about Sanctuary - and on the non-human side we have Sam being Finn’s equal of this generation. Don’t know why Finn’s dad killed himself, but his death had to be a bad thing for the balance and wellbeing of the two worlds.

Sure, Sam could be  nicer about things, but I’m betting coming to see Finn in the outside world was a very big deal, not to mention stressful. Things are not as they should be or have been in the past. The two worlds may be connected in some way, but I’m thinking they don’t interact as human neighbours would. They live side by side but lead separate lives, something Finn has not grasped as yet, because he’s thinking like a human. 

Now, having surmised all that, I could be completely off base...

Well, Sam believed his home was about to be sold. He needed Finn because he couldn't go to the mother. So yes he was aggressive, but he's not human, doesnt live with us, so can we really expect him to act as we do?

• Like 5
3 hours ago, BlindAmbition said:

What did the poor amphibian do to you? It seems like Sam has his hands tied. In other circumstances that wouldn’t be a complaint.

Poor Sammy...

• Like 4
  • Site Moderator
Just now, Mikiesboy said:

Well, Sam believed his home was about to be sold. He needed Finn because he couldn't go to the mother. So yes he was aggressive, but he's not human, doesnt live with us, so can we really expect him to act as we do?

Excellent point. His social customs - if indeed, salamanders have such things - would not be the same as humans. 

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator
30 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Really?  Sam? Well okay.. this is very interesting. I wonder if others feel this way.  Cool.

I thought he was a bit bossy telling Finn to get rid of his party guests, but he did have a very pressing matter of grave importance to discuss with Finn, so his behaviour did make sense. Then again, there is the matter of not knowing human social standards of behaviour. 

Later, I thought he wasn’t very tactful when he  rebuffed Finn who thought they were friends. Again, he’s not human, so his behaviour shouldn’t be judged by that standard. 

Now, maybe I’m forgetting an instance where his behaviour was bullish, but I can’t recall an example of this. 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 2
16 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Poor Sammy...

6 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

I thought he was a bit bossy telling Finn to get rid of his party guests, but he did have a very pressing matter of grave importance to discuss with Finn, so his behaviour did make sense. Then again, there is the matter of not knowing human social standards of behaviour. 

Layer, I thought he wasn’t very tactful when he  rebuffed Finn who thought they were friends. Again, he’s not human, so his behaviour shouldn’t be judged by that standard. 

Now, maybe I’m forgetting an instance where his behaviour was bullish, but I can’t recall an example of this. 

I thought the same. I figured he didn’t associate with many humans. His situation is of upmost urgency.

• Like 5

I'm really interested in everyone's opinions about this story and the characters. To me this is part of the fun of writing them. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

yikes.. you dont like Sam?  that much???

As of right now, yeah. But remember, I felt the same about the Sister in changes. We saw how I was wrong about her.

33 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Really?  Sam? Well okay.. this is very interesting. I wonder if others feel this way.  Cool.

The evidence is showing me, I'm in the minority on this one. LOL.

That's the beauty of stories. They can be seen differently by the readers, and we can be at odds with each other without hostilities.

• Like 5
  • Site Moderator
6 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Asking Finn if he and Christian had had sex, telling Finn to get rid of his guests, show Sam has no filters. But i dont think he's purposely nasty.

I don’t think he is either. He’s probably not this completely, but I do find him to be somewhat guileless. Oh geez, I just flashed to Mork from  the lovely planet Ork. lol 

He was guileless - just like Sam - and a little clueless to the world that wasn’t his own  if I’m remembering correctly. . 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
1 minute ago, BHopper2 said:

As of right now, yeah. But remember, I felt the same about the Sister in changes. We saw how I was wrong about her.

Not to the point of turning his skin into shoe leather, lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
Just now, BHopper2 said:

That's the beauty of stories. They can be seen differently by the readers, and we can be at odds with each other without hostilities.

Gosh i'm not gonna tell you you're right or wrong about how you feel.  I just find it interesting.  Oh yes, you wanted to kill poor Miriam..LOL  Had to take away your baseball bat...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, MacGreg said:

Not to the point of turning his skin into shoe leather, lol. 

Salamander leather .. mmm interesting, Sir.   hehe

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator
1 minute ago, Mikiesboy said:

Gosh i'm not gonna tell you you're right or wrong about how you feel.  I just find it interesting.  Oh yes, you wanted to kill poor Miriam..LOL  Had to take away your baseball bat...

I didn’t want to take a bat to her, but I sure didn’t like her when first we met. Quite the opposite, actually...

The fact that I did end up liking her shows me how well you can write, and turn us on our heads as far as how we see things. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Mikiesboy said:

Overall man, it's a great Urban Fantasy story. Has a great cast of characters to boot, as well.

Finn - I like. Seems a bit naive at times.

Sam - I dislike. Comes across as a bully to me. Like you mentioned earlier, could be societal differences, but he's said he's been in our world extensively. He should know how to fit in.

Christian - I like. Seems like a nice guy, but I have some sort of suspicion that he's not what he appears to be. Just a nagging feeling.

Nora - Indifferent. Seems like she's hired help. But that is an excellent resource for information. People forget about servants and will talk in front of them.

The Mother - Not Keen on her. I can see her being the B.B.E.G. of the story. Or her boyfriend. She was really quick to give up the house, because of the "rules."  However, she was going to sell the house and property in spite of those same rules.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

I didn’t want to take a bat to her, but I sure didn’t like her when first we met. Quite the opposite, actually...

The fact that I did end up liking her shows me how well you can write, and turn us on our heads as far as how we see things. 

I have a desire to write about someone who is a 'bad guy', but other than true psychopaths, i'm not so sure they really exist. I dont think criminals are evil, they often have families and people like them. But i keep thinking about it.

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

Overall man, it's a great Urban Fantasy story. Has a great cast of characters to boot, as well.

Finn - I like. Seems a bit naive at times.

Sam - I dislike. Comes across as a bully to me. Like you mentioned earlier, could be societal differences, but he's said he's been in our world extensively. He should know how to fit in.

Christian - I like. Seems like a nice guy, but I have some sort of suspicion that he's not what he appears to be. Just a nagging feeling.

Nora - Indifferent. Seems like she's hired help. But that is an excellent resource for information. People forget about servants and will talk in front of them.

The Mother - Not Keen on her. I can see her being the B.B.E.G. of the story. Or her boyfriend. She was really quick to give up the house, because of the "rules."  However, she was going to sell the house and property in spite of those same rules.

Finn was never the playboy party boy he pretended to be.  Sam is doing what he must. Christian too??  Egad.

Nora is Nora

Mother .. what is a BBEG?  Remember the house was never hers ... more to come about that.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Okay, that’s it for me. I’m off to bed so there’s one less sleep to count until next Saturday...

good night Reader.. i'm off too .. got get some sleep .. night all

• Like 3

Some things are not yet adding up for me, but it is early in the story yet.

If the property is rightfully Finn's, and has been since dad died, how could mom place it on the market in the first place?

Who is this Stephen person? Did he influence mom to sell property that did not belong to her? Does he know things Finn does not? Or is he just an innocent extra wandered into the story?

Sam may have been a little over assertive when he crashed the party, but it seems the very existence of his people is at stake. I am sure I have come across as a bully a time or two when the well being of my family is at stake.

As for being cold and shutting Finn down, he said they could not be more to each other.  He did not say they would be less.  They obviously we're meant to work together at SOMETHING. 

• Like 4
  • Site Moderator
1 hour ago, Kitt said:

If the property is rightfully Finn's, and has been since dad died, how could mom place it on the market in the first place?

I wondered about that as well. I’m thinking she “put it on the market” as a ploy to get Finn to come home and take over Sanctuary, so she would be free to live her life as she chose, rather than being tied to land that would/could never be hers. 

As for Stephen, I don’t think there’s anything sinister going on as far as his involvement with Finn’s mom. 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 3
9 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

17 minutes ago, Kitt said:

Sam may have been a little over assertive when he crashed the party, but it seems the very existence of his people is at stake. I am sure I have come across as a bully a time or two when the well being of my family is at stake.

As for being cold and shutting Finn down, he said they could not be more to each other.  He did not say they would be less.  They obviously we're meant to work together at SOMETHING. 

One more thing to remember about Sam, he had been laboring under the impression that Finn knew everything already. That his father had shared the secret with him.  And that Finn, with full knowledge of how it would affect Sam's kind, let it happen.  

• Like 4

I find it interesting that this story is being so dissected. We're only 3 chapters in. Personally, I'd rather read the whole story and then have discussions about it as a whole. But I know that would defeat the purpose of a forum like this, and I know tim appreciates the ongoing discourse. 

At any rate, it's a brilliant tale. Otherwise, we wouldn't be speculating about it so much! 

• Like 5