3 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

Just had a thought. Would something bad happen if something happened to Sanctuary?

Is there some kind of balance because Sanctuary exists? 

So many questions and thoughts and theories are running through my brain. Need a distraction. Perhaps tim has a poem just lying around waiting for air time... No? Oh wells, brain running amok it will have to be. :P 

I like all these questions ... i dont think i have any poems lying around.  I've been working on The Promise and that other thing.  Giving some thought to the themes for the Fall Anthology which are not inspiring to me at all, at least not yet.  But there's still time to mull things over some.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Site Moderator

Not finished the chapter yet, but I have gotten thus far 

Finn felt Sam's rebuff. "I thought we were friends. I enjoy your company."

Sam looked sad. "I enjoy yours also. But we are from different worlds. I can only live in yours for brief periods. We cannot be more than what we are."

Ouch! I felt that rebuff as well. Quite unexpected, actually...

What does it mean for the future? 

• Like 4
  • Site Moderator
8 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Sam is a bit more that what he seemed, just like most of us i guess.

Rather manipulative Sam is, but I guess if he acted that way when he was trying to get Finn to come home, his attempts would have blown up in his face, eh? 

I wonder what else is going to come as a surprise for Finn? 

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Ouch! I felt that rebuff as well. Quite unexpected, actually...

What does it mean for the future? 

it was a little unexpected, but Sam does have something to protect

for the future? only tim knows for sure!

4 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

I wonder what else is going to come as a surprise for Finn? 

surprises for both Finn and Sam are probably just around the corner

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

@AC Benus can tell you about my doubts about this story. I had planned to post it as part of the anthology. Which is why it's as long as it is. I was unsure people would accept Sam. I mean i've asked readers to accept fairies, dragons, vampires, zombies, goats for pete's sake! Angels and brownies, crows .... i was so unsure they'd accept yet another fantasy character. It wouldn't have been ready in time for the anthology so here it is.

You know I love fantasy anyways. There just seems so much more than an anthology. Not sure if it would have presented the same. You can sell a character, because you understand how to develop them.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

During the writing of this short story, i needed a wild place, that was safe for Sam and family ... i chose this place:

https://www.wellsgray.ca/site/galleries.html

It's a beautiful Provincial Park in British Columbia.

i remember you sharing that with me early on, it's just gorgeous!

3 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

Beautiful. That's a sanctuary, all right. 

it really is Sir isn't it?

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

Sounds beautiful and peaceful. Tons to do there.

it is lovely .. lots of water and a lot of beautiful waterfalls .. about 14 i think..

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I'm thinking I'm gonna have to break out the barbed-wire encrusted baseball bat for Sam... Turn his hide into a leather belt.

Really not liking him, but I am liking Finn a lot. Not too keen on the mother either.

• Wow 3
  • Sad 1
4 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

I'm thinking I'm gonna have to break out the barbed-wire encrusted baseball bat for Sam... Turn his hide into a leather belt.

Really not liking him, but I am liking Finn a lot. Not too keen on the mother either.

What did the poor amphibian do to you? It seems like Sam has his hands tied. In other circumstances that wouldn’t be a complaint.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, BlindAmbition said:

What did the poor amphibian do to you? It seems like Sam has his hands tied. In other circumstances that wouldn’t be a complaint.

From chapter 1 to 3, he's been very aggressive, mean-spirited, and manipulative. Yes, in chapter 2 he was all nice and caring for the plane ride, but overall he's just a big bully.

• Sad 1
  • Site Moderator
22 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

From chapter 1 to 3, he's been very aggressive, mean-spirited, and manipulative. Yes, in chapter 2 he was all nice and caring for the plane ride, but overall he's just a big bully.

I suppose one reason is his need to protect his people, so to speak. On one side we have the human caretaker - since only Finn’s dad knew the truth about Sanctuary - and on the non-human side we have Sam being Finn’s equal of this generation. Don’t know why Finn’s dad killed himself, but his death had to be a bad thing for the balance and wellbeing of the two worlds.

Sure, Sam could be  nicer about things, but I’m betting coming to see Finn in the outside world was a very big deal, not to mention stressful. Things are not as they should be or have been in the past. The two worlds may be connected in some way, but I’m thinking they don’t interact as human neighbours would. They live side by side but lead separate lives, something Finn has not grasped as yet, because he’s thinking like a human. 

Now, having surmised all that, I could be completely off base...

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Site Moderator

I have a feeling her not being allowed to remarry is a dictate that was for past generations as well.

I said this in my chapter comment, but I didn’t think it all the way through. A widow of a caretaker wouldn’t be able to remarry, because that would mean bringing an outsider to Sanctuary, which would put the safeguarding of its secrets at risk.  If I’m right, then it makes it likely that the one and only employee - Nora - inherited her position in the household as well. I mean who else would have been able to alert Sam to the mother’s intention to sell sanctuary or tell Sam where Finn lived? 

I don’t think Sam is clairvoyant, nor does he eavesdrop at parlour windows.. 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

yikes.. you dont like Sam?  that much???

• Like 1
3 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

Really?  Sam? Well okay.. this is very interesting. I wonder if others feel this way.  Cool.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1