The Drop in Centre

50 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

There’s more searches for bad or brown jicama, but I found this for knowing if it’s good.

When buying jicama, choose those that are firm, with smooth skin that's not cracked or bruised. It should look fresh, not dry or shriveled. Make sure there are no soft or wet spots on the jicama skin. Although jicama can be eaten at any stage of growth, the smaller ones have a sweeter, more appealing flavor.

Thanks Reader!

(I think I've given up on the whole idea of using them as a shell for anything. It's much easier to stick to slicing them up.)

33 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

i'm so sorry, that sounds nasty! i've never thought to grill them ... but sounds good! you had a busy day! i did bed linens last week, i usually do them every week but lately it's every other week. i have 5 refrigerator oatmeals with chia seeds, vanilla, cinnamon & golden raisins prepped. two with milk already in the fridge. dinner will be ready to go soon. just some oven baked chicken thighs with some leeks & green beans from the farmers market

They were good grilled. Once they cooled off a little I chopped a few up, plunked them down on the soft taco shell, added the slaw mix that I sautéed and the citrus yogurt complimented the chili flavor. Never thought I'd see the day when I'd eat veggie tacos and actually like them! 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, kbois said:

Thanks Reader!

(I think I've given up on the whole idea of using them as a shell for anything. It's much easier to stick to slicing them up.)

They were good grilled. Once they cooled off a little I chopped a few up, plunked them down on the soft taco shell, added the slaw mix that I sautéed and the citrus yogurt complimented the chili flavor. Never thought I'd see the day when I'd eat veggie tacos and actually like them! 

veggies are our friends... and i am gonna make those lentil burgers from Sasha's site. I'll make them smaller like falafel .. .mmmm. Michael groans at me.. but He loves vegetables.  We've been reducing our meat intake and as long as there is some and lots of veg, He's happy.

I've never found jicama here locally.. Mmm, I will check wally world next time i order from there.

• Like 4
42 minutes ago, kbois said:

I think I've given up on the whole idea of using them as a shell for anything. It's much easier to stick to slicing them up.)

i have seen jicama tortillas in the produce section, but im sure they want a pretty penny for them

32 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

veggies are our friends... and i am gonna make those lentil burgers from Sasha's site. I'll make them smaller like falafel .. .mmmm. Michael groans at me.. but He loves vegetables.  We've been reducing our meat intake and as long as there is some and lots of veg, He's happy.

I've never found jicama here locally.. Mmm, I will check wally world next time i order from there.

i like to snack on it because it's got fiber to keep me feeling full & they have crunch so you feel like you're eating something

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Ok, I've had enough horse show for one day. Temps went up to 88*. Two days ago high was 59*.  I can't deal well with 30* temp jumps. 

Horses were all well behaved, people not so much. The mare discovered the cookie jar in the tack room, pulled it out and then set about figuring out how to open it. Sneaky thing she is!

• Haha 4
39 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

tim 

i have tried the veggie burgers but have not found one that taste good. still looking but we do love the turkey burgers they are good. we did salads for lunch wilted bacon / green onions / romaine lettuce and turkey back and used that as a dressing. It was nice lunch. 

• Like 4
41 minutes ago, rickproehl said:

tim 

i have tried the veggie burgers but have not found one that taste good. still looking but we do love the turkey burgers they are good. we did salads for lunch wilted bacon / green onions / romaine lettuce and turkey back and used that as a dressing. It was nice lunch. 

i will find/make one that's good.  I love falafel and i'll make those if i have to. They are simple to make from scratch.

The point is not to have to serve meat at every meal.  When i make burgers i add ground beans, pinto or white kidney to ground beef.  Michael is happy to eat them so, I'm happy with that.  But the price of meat is idiotic so, I'm looking for a vegi option that i can make as something we can enjoy from time to time.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Mmm... I love falafel. :heart: 

Right?  Yeah, i love them too.  I make them from scratch sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Site Moderator
40 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Right?  Yeah, i love them too.  I make them from scratch sometimes.

I’ve never made them from scratch, but I could buy freshly made ones when I lived in Toronto, so I was content with that. Out here in the burbs, I might possibly find frozen ones, but fresh is unlikely. Maybe, it’s time to start making them myself.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Reader1810 said:

I’ve never made them from scratch, but I could buy freshly made ones when I lived in Toronto, so I was content with that. Out here in the burbs, I might possibly find frozen ones, but fresh is unlikely. Maybe, it’s time to start making them myself.

They are a bit of work, but worth it i think.  This woman does it right...  https://www.themediterraneandish.com/how-to-make-falafel/

Canned chick peas is not the way to go.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Site Moderator
3 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

They are a bit of work, but worth it i think.  This woman does it right...  https://www.themediterraneandish.com/how-to-make-falafel/

Canned chick peas is not the way to go.

“Real” chick peas are something I can get from the grocery store. I’m pretty sure, that is.

• Like 2
Just now, Reader1810 said:

“Real” chick peas are something I can get from the grocery store. I’m pretty sure, that is.

yeah you can buy dry ones at the grocery store.. i buy them all the time..

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Reader1810 said:

Mmm... I love falafel. :heart: 

I've never had falafel. It sounds good though. Not sure about the deep frying part....

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, kbois said:

I've never had falafel. It sounds good though. Not sure about the deep frying part....

you can shallow fry them.. they are just not the same baked.. i'd never change that myself.  but i dont eat them all the time.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

I have to admit I'm not overly fond of vegetables. The ones I'll eat are:

Brussels Sprouts, Broccoli, Baby Lima Beans, Collards, Cabbage. In season I love white corn. Also the usual suspects in a salad like lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes. I can't stand to even look at cauliflower. To me it looks like an albino brain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Here we go again. Roasted at the show, high 88* yesterday. Today's forecast high? 68*  I am starting to feel like a yoyo. 

Edited by Kitt
  • Like 5
6 hours ago, Story Reader said:

Just wanted to let all of you to know that I am fine.

Thank you for letting us know all is well. Take care of yourself.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Ryan Jones said:

I have to admit I'm not overly fond of vegetables. The ones I'll eat are:

Brussels Sprouts, Broccoli, Baby Lima Beans, Collards, Cabbage. In season I love white corn. Also the usual suspects in a salad like lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes. I can't stand to even look at cauliflower. To me it looks like an albino brain.

Nothing wrong with the ones you like at all ... they are all really good for you. We enjoy roasted albino brain ... Michael found a HUGE one at the store the other day and we roasted most of it last night. It was great.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Slight venting ahead (more like pet peeve irritation)

My work is about 5 miles from the airport. Twice now I've picked up my boss when he's flown in, which I don't mind...I get reimbursed for mileage. Both times I've asked him to let me know approximately when his flights were due in so I could block the time off. 

Both times he's called me from the airport to say that he's here. First time I had just gotten back from lunch...no big deal. Today I had a closing scheduled at 1, she forgot and when I  called her at 115 she asked if she could still come by...she was only 5 minutes away. I told her sure... cuz I had nothing on my calendar.  

Of course he called while I was doing paperwork with her. I  told him he'd have to wait. Took me 20 minutes to finish up with her. When I got back in my office the mail had come with a bunch of checks and my petty cash reimbursement. So I spent another 15 minutes getting my deposit ready. Figured if he didn't want to give me the courtesy of at least a time-frame, well then he could just wait. Add in a leisurely stroll to the ladies room before heading out and it was close to 45 minutes later that I even left. 

Thankfully he didn't complain...I would've shut him down in a heartbeat. I'm sorry....but that's just plain rude. 

Three more days..... *sigh*. 

• Wow 2
  • Angry 1
  • Site Moderator

Okay, my turn to rant. Kind of...

I have a new nemesis and thy name is Strawberry Oatmeal Bars. 

Why my nemesis you say? 

First time I made them, the baking pan was to big and the oatmeal was so thick, I found it hard to spread. Finally managed by switching to a smaller baking pan. Okay, in the end it worked out and tasted great. 

Second time today. Used a smaller baking pan, but the dried oatmeal I sprinkled on top didn’t bake in so well, so I tried knocking some off. Did I mention I use parchment paper, you know, the stuff that nothing sticks to? 

Can you guess what happened? That’s right, I had it tilted too much and it all fell out. :facepalm:

Luckily, it all fell onto the clean cutting board. I dumped the lot into a storage container and broke up the bottom crust into small bits.

Oh well, at least it looks good for breakfast in a bowl this week. :P 

• Haha 3

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..