The Drop in Centre

6 minutes ago, rickproehl said:

hey what is wrong?
this seems so quite.

how is everyone? 

today is a cool autumn day here.

so how are you? 

today feels very frantic rick

lots of emails coming fast & furious. it'll be a "take it one step, one thing at a time" kind of day

• Like 4
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, rickproehl said:

hey what is wrong?
this seems so quite.

how is everyone? 

so how are you? 

Hi rick! 

I'm just chilling on my lunch hour. It's hot and humid, thunder rolling around somewhere, but getting actual rain is anyone's guess. All it does is add to the humidity. I've been away from New England for over 20 years and I still miss the Fall. Now that I'm not tied to a school schedule anymore I was hoping to go visit. Thanks Covid. Not.  

Instead I'll probably get some apples in a few weeks and make some pies. That reminds me... I'm out of Fireball. I need that to splash over the apples....mmmm!

Enjoy the rest of your day!

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Didn’t realize we were so quiet. I guess it’s just one of those days.

Right now, I’m researching products to clean a brick - not sure what the bricks are made of - patio. There’s a lot out there, but with commenters having such varied successes, it’s hard to know what’s good and what isn’t. 

Have you tried power washing them? You'd be amazed at what a difference it makes, plus no chemicals.

• Like 5
  • Site Moderator
11 minutes ago, rickproehl said:

have you ever tried a pressure washer? it’s just water .. and a little pressure it might help.

We’ve tried the pressure washer but it’s not touching the black spot lichen that’s covering half the patio. I did use a scrub brush in one spot to test, and that worked. So far, I’m looking at a bucket of warm water and mild dish soap as a viable option. Train’s in the forecast today, so I’m going to try this tomorrow.

• Like 5
  • Site Moderator
22 minutes ago, kbois said:

Have you tried power washing them? You'd be amazed at what a difference it makes, plus no chemicals.

The power washer isn’t being very helpful with the black spot lichen - and wouldn’t you know it all the products for black spot lichen are sold in the UK. 

I have a plan - soap, warm water, and good old-fashioned elbow grease. I’ll report back as to the success- or failure - of said plan.

• Like 5
16 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

i was soooooooooooo tired last night... went to bed. Put on a 6 minute mediation ... i did not hear the full thing. I was out ... slept until just after midnight and was then AWAKE!  i read, drank warm milk, tried to sleep again but was awake until after 4am... slept maybe another hour before the alarm went off at 7am.  had to get up to call work to get the morning off but felt so shit i booked the day..

i hate those nights when i can’t sleep. i watch the clock go round and round and still no sleep. or i do go to sleep it is so late and you get no rest. take care. i have also taken a second dose of Natural Calm on the really bad night. drank like a tea. sometimes that will help.

Edited by rickproehl
  • Like 5
  • Site Moderator
10 minutes ago, Kitt said:

If you're just looking to eliminate slippery moss on them try bleach and water. If they're discolored and you're looking to actually clean them, muriatic acid cleans a fireplace very nicely it might work for your patio.

Unfortunately, it’s not moss that’s growing on the brick. 

• Like 4
  • Site Moderator
8 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

i'll try that .. xoxo

I started brushing my teeth early in the evening because I didn’t want to be suddenly wide awake at bedtime. The lightbulb only went off a bit ago that it would help in the early evening “I need to sleep” struggle.

• Like 4
  • Site Moderator
24 minutes ago, Kitt said:

Bleach should still help.

My mom tried that as well, and nope, it didn’t work either. I did read about using bleach (water to bleach ratios varied) and it did say repeated applications might be necessary, but it’s been two to three times now with nary a difference, though I think that’s partly due to the problem not being dealt with when it first appeared. Though, with my dad being sick last year caring for the garden (his domain) went by the wayside which allowed the lichen to take hold and multiply. I’m prepared to do this more than once with the water and detergent + scrubbing, but I hope to see some improvement the first time around, 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, rickproehl said:

hey what is wrong?
this seems so quite.

how is everyone? 

so how are you? 

Hey Rick-

Doing good here. It was a tough day at work.  My boss tried to lob a big sack of you know what in my direction, but I threw it right back at him. I'm not taking the heat for his blunders. It's warm and sunny here. Hope you're doing well. 

• Like 5
20 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

My mom tried that as well, and nope, it didn’t work either. I did read about using bleach (water to bleach ratios varied) and it did say repeated applications might be necessary, but it’s been two to three times now with nary a difference, though I think that’s partly due to the problem not being dealt with when it first appeared. Though, with my dad being sick last year caring for the garden (his domain) went by the wayside which allowed the lichen to take hold and multiply. I’m prepared to do this more than once with the water and detergent + scrubbing, but I hope to see some improvement the first time around, 

Try table salt on it that should dry it out - the dawn dish soap and let it soak. 

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, spyke said:

Hey Rick-

Doing good here. It was a tough day at work.  My boss tried to lob a big sack of you know what in my direction, but I threw it right back at him. I'm not taking the heat for his blunders. It's warm and sunny here. Hope you're doing well. 

it has been better but right now getting off work. i work from home so the commute to the back yard is 5 steps. so going outside with the dogs. Take care of yourself 

• Like 5
33 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Have you tried Krud Kutter?  Don't know if you're in the US, but you can find it at Lowe's home improvement. 

Edited by spyke
Remove large picture
  • Like 5
  • Site Moderator
1 hour ago, spyke said:

Have you tried Krud Kutter?  Don't know if you're in the US, but you can find it at Lowe's home improvement. 

I found it - so far anyway - on Amazon.ca (I’m in Canada) and it says it removes rust, so you can paint. I was just thinking yesterday the porch railings need to be painted again, but what to do about the rust? Can I just paint it over or do I need to get it off first? 

If I need to remove it, it looks like this stuff will be just the ticket. So, thanks for the tip. :) 

Need to do more research to see what else it does. 

• Like 4

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..