The Drop in Centre

47 minutes ago, Backwoods Boy said:

This one I knew, but only by it's most modern meaning.  The change over time is quite interesting.  

34 minutes ago, Defiance19 said:

Same...

I'm sorry to say, that I've only have heard of it as a name. Dolores Umbrage, the "witch," from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

Edited by BHopper2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 4
5 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

Somewhat. It goes over minimum word counts for starting a new discussion (150 words), replying to her (150 words), and replying to our peers (75 words). She expects proper grammar, sentence structure, etc. and we can not quote or cite the book or our peers. All our postings have to be done in our own words, as they say.

That seems reasonable but I can't imagine that you just write anything, so perhaps it wouldn't be easy for her to explain properly why she thinks more than half of your posts are unsubstantial. At least you know you're not alone when other people of the course have the same problem.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

We have the ride program down here in Florida too, however, there are laws governing how it works in this state. Most ride programs are either done by volunteers of campaigns, the political parties, or from a church (those are called "Soul Rides"). The bus/van/car must be free of political advertisement, no pamphlets discussing voting, and the driver can not allow political discussions while on the bus/van/car. Violation of this is considered a 3rd-degree felony for voter intimidation and election fraud. 

That seems thought through very well. The mid-term elections in the US are discussed here too, of course.

• Like 2

In case anyone is interested in such trivia: when entering the US, one has to mention one's facebook and other social media accounts. Fortunately, GA doesn't fall in that category but still I think it's a bit too much, and so was giving the exact address where I was staying several times...

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
  • Site Moderator
1 hour ago, Defiance19 said:

Took my time waking up this morning.. yup I did.

Hope you all have a good day and it’s sunny in your neck of the woods. 

It’s gross out. Foggy, misty, drizzly, just yuck! Calls for Comfy chic clothing.. 

Same...

It was rainy to start the day, but now it’s cleared up, but 80 km (50 m) winds are supposed to start this afternoon and last through the evening. Good thing, I don’t where hats. :P 

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator
2 minutes ago, Zenobia said:

In case anyone is interested in such trivia: when entering the US, one has to mention one's facebook and other social media accounts. Fortunately, GA doesn't fall in that category but still I think it's a bit too much, and so was giving the exact address where I was staying several times...

I don’t think that’s the case if you’re entering from Canada as I wasn’t asked in August last year, but it’s maybe it’s changed now? My parents are going to the US to spend American Thanksgiving with my brother and his family, so I’ll ask my mom if they get asked that question. Then again, would US Customs think to ask people who are in their 80s? :unsure: 

• Like 4
  • Site Moderator
7 minutes ago, Zenobia said:

I do think it’s a bit much to ask considering so many people are on social medi nowadays, and as for the address bit? Once should be enough, for sure, 

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

I don’t think that’s the case if you’re entering from Canada as I wasn’t asked in August last year, but it’s maybe it’s changed now? My parents are going to the US to spend American Thanksgiving with my brother and his family, so I’ll ask my mom if they get asked that question. Then again, would US Customs think to ask people who are in their 80s? :unsure: 

4 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

I do think it’s a bit much to ask considering so many people are on social medi nowadays, and as for the address bit? Once should be enough, for sure, 

That might be mostly international travelers? My mom gets asked the same. She’s 76, Reader,  and all officers are not created equal.  She got held up for her diabetic meds because of the needles, even though she can travel with. 

• Like 3
  • Wow 2
19 minutes ago, Zenobia said:

Don't quote me on it, I think this occurs because we have a high number of foreign visitors who come to the US and overstay their visas. At which point they become illegal aliens.

Edited by BHopper2
  • Like 5
  • Site Moderator
11 minutes ago, Defiance19 said:

That might be mostly international travelers? My mom gets asked the same. She’s 76, Reader,  and all officers are not created equal.  She got held up for her diabetic meds because of the needles, even though she can travel with. 

You think like I do, Def. Going to the US is international travel for Canadians, but heck, my brother on the west coast of Canada feels more like a foreigner than the one who lives in New England, which feels like visiting your neighbour. I get what you’re saying, though. 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 4
4 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

I suppose it's only for us Europeans and I'd find it very strange if Canada and the US would make traveling too difficult for their respective citizens 😉 

I'm fortunate enough not to have any social media accounts but still: these are many security measures, considering one has to fill out a very (!) thorough form (ESTA) with a lot of data (it also costs 14 dollars per person) before entering the US, in additon to the passport, of course. I've just wanted to write that it's not that complicated to travel to Canada but obviously I'm wrong, it's the same procedure (only the electronic form is called eTA; these are intergovernmental arrangements) - my husband went to Canada about 6 years ago and the passport was enough.

Well, it's not that it really afflicts me in any way but still, it's a bit cumbersome (I love that word btw, hope it doesn't sound too wrong in this context - I try to expand my active vocabulary).

Edited by Zenobia
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, Defiance19 said:

As far as I know, traveling overland is less complicated at least with regard to filling out electronic forms.

I think the social media question was on the sheet with the customs declaration that I got in the plane.

Anyway, sorry: I don't want to worry anyone - all these things are doable and obviously much easier between Canada and the US. :)

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Defiance19 said:

Took my time waking up this morning.. yup I did.

Hope you all have a good day and it’s sunny in your neck of the woods. 

It’s gross out. Foggy, misty, drizzly, just yuck! Calls for Comfy chic clothing.. 

Sorry to hear that, here it's now unnaturally warm for November, which honestly causes mixed feelings in me.

But I wish you a cozy day at home.

• Like 2

You know... my life Really sucks, if I'm watching the Election Results and not Hockey. I just hope Really haRd that the RIGHT people win in the FloRida Races.

I would say who I was backing, but unlike other thReads in the open foRums, I'd get smacked RIGHT upside my head if I tRied to discuss politics heRe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
43 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

You know... my life Really sucks, if I'm watching the Election Results and not Hockey. I just hope Really haRd that the RIGHT people win in the FloRida Races.

I would say who I was backing, but unlike other thReads in the open foRums, I'd get smacked RIGHT upside my head if I tRied to discuss politics heRe.

I'd say you've made your position crystal clear, A.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, mollyhousemouse said:

hello Sirs and friends

had an interesting day at work

took Daughter to vote for the first time, i think she was a little overwhelmed at all the attention she received, but she did it

and no, neither Phil nor i asked what/who she voted for

how's everyone tonight?

Doing well. Watching political theatre.

1 minute ago, MacGreg said:

I'd say you've made your position crystal clear, A.

I've never been called subtle. LOL

But it's true. Other peeps get away discussing politics in other popular chat threads, while I've been smacked twice for just talking about a law.

• Like 3

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..