The Drop in Centre

7 hours ago, Defiance19 said:

finished my civic duty for tonight. We helped set up rides for voters.  

I've never thought of that - of course it's problematic for a lot of people to get to the place where they vote.

:thumbup: for being so committed to make people vote.

It's possible to vote by mail here in Germany and many people do but now I wonder how many didn't/don't due to various reasons and would have used/use a ride if given that option.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Defiance19 said:

The older buildings definitely hold more architectural appeal and most are must see landmarks. Although some of the newer ones, most recently the World Trade Center Hub, is stunning. 

Definitely; the 1 WTC is a highlight and a very aesthetic building. I also found the 9/11 memorial tastefully done, which must have been quite a difficult task.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Zenobia said:

I've never thought of that - of course it's problematic for a lot of people to get to the place where they vote.

:thumbup: for being so committed to make people vote.

It's possible to vote by mail here in Germany and many people do but now I wonder how many didn't/don't due to various reasons and would have used/use a ride if given that option.

We have the ride program down here in Florida too, however, there are laws governing how it works in this state. Most ride programs are either done by volunteers of campaigns, the political parties, or from a church (those are called "Soul Rides"). The bus/van/car must be free of political advertisement, no pamphlets discussing voting, and the driver can not allow political discussions while on the bus/van/car. Violation of this is considered a 3rd-degree felony for voter intimidation and election fraud. 

1 hour ago, Zenobia said:

And are they transparent enough insofar as the participants can get a good idea of what she expects?

Somewhat. It goes over minimum word counts for starting a new discussion (150 words), replying to her (150 words), and replying to our peers (75 words). She expects proper grammar, sentence structure, etc. and we can not quote or cite the book or our peers. All our postings have to be done in our own words, as they say.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Kitt said:

If they don't know a word, or cannot fathom it out through context, then they are adults (well, physically) and can open a damn dictionary!

42 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

I remember chatting with Mr. Google about that strange word...

sometimes that's the best part of a story. the new words or foods, i love when this happens!

Edited by mollyhousemouse
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

umbrage Audio pronunciation

noun | UM-brij  

Definition

:
a feeling of pique or resentment at some often fancied slight or insult

:
shady branches : foliage

:
:
an indistinct indication : vague suggestion : hint

:
a reason for doubt : suspicion

"Deare amber lockes gave umbrage to her face." This line from a poem by William Drummond, published in 1616, uses umbrage in its original sense of "shade or shadow," a meaning shared by its Latin source, umbra. (Umbella, the diminutive form of umbra, means "a sunshade or parasol" in Latin and is an ancestor of our word umbrella.) Beginning in the early 17th century, umbrage was also used to mean "a shadowy suggestion or semblance of something," as when William Shakespeare, in Hamlet, wrote, "His semblable is his mirror, and who else would trace him, his umbrage, nothing more." In the same century, umbrage took on the pejorative senses "a shadow of suspicion cast on someone" and "displeasure, offense"; the latter is commonly used today in the phrases "give umbrage" or "take umbrage."

This one I knew, but only by it's most modern meaning.  The change over time is quite interesting.  

• Like 5

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..