Star Trek Picard

• Site Administrator

Hmmmm.  This is playing on something that Nintendo has perfected.... nostalgia.  I grew up with Star Trek the Next Generation.  this was my Star Trek.  Don't get me wrong, I loved the original series and all... but yeah....

I will say I'm definitely interested to see the future of Star Trek beyond the era of the Next Generation.  Doesn't hurt dragging Seven of Nine into it.  This might be good enough to get me to subscribe to CBS All Access to watch this show.  and maybe Star Trek Discovery while I'm there. Maybe.

It also tends to motivate writing interest.

Does it for you?

• Love 5
  • Site Administrator

Hmmmm... I had a thing for Deanna's accent and hair. Always was a sucker for brunettes! Just don't bring back Q and I'm all good. That voice! *shudders*

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Though he was annoying as hell, I can honestly say I'd probably go out with Wesley Crusher just because I have a thing for geeks :) Though, as I've gotten older, Data has probably grown more to my interests.

Star Trek Picard looks like an interesting series, I'm tempted by its premise, Patrick Stewart as the main character, and promises of Brent Spiner and Jonathan Frakes, but am a little hesitant due to Star Trek Discovery (I really dislike what they did with TOS-era and even though I love Section 31 from DS9, that show's version is nothing like what I'd come to expect for Star Trek's version of Men in Black).

@Myr For me, it's going to be wait and see with the 1st few episodes reactions/reviews, then get CBS Access again.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't wait for Picard! And, I absolutely love Star Trek Discovery! The Klingons are awesome! I won't give any spoilers, but I find the plot fascinating, and the characters as good as any cast so far, including TNG. Just saying....

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 10/22/2019 at 8:15 AM, Headstall said:

I can't wait for Picard! And, I absolutely love Star Trek Discovery! The Klingons are awesome! I won't give any spoilers, but I find the plot fascinating, and the characters as good as any cast so far, including TNG. Just saying....

Agreed 100%! I love Discovery. Actually, it's watching that that got me properly interested in watching Star Trek. Now I'm almost done with TNG and a good bit into DS9 and loving it. Can't wait for Picard, I think it's gonna be fantastic. Anything with Patrick Stewart in it must be. :D I've been lucky enough to get to see him on stage, as Claudius in Hamlet a few years ago. The man is one of the greatest actors I know. ❤️ 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • 2 months later...
  • Site Administrator

The new trailer keeps popping up when I'm watching YouTube... I guess I'm going to sign up for CBS All access and binge after the entire show is up. 

• Like 3
20 hours ago, Myr said:

The new trailer keeps popping up when I'm watching YouTube... I guess I'm going to sign up for CBS All access and binge after the entire show is up. 

All the Star Trek shows are on Netflix here, thankfully, so we don't have to sign up for any extra services to watch them. Picard will be released there weekly. Currently binging DS9 and Voyager while we wait. 

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator
2 hours ago, Thorn Wilde said:

All the Star Trek shows are on Netflix here

I have every Star Trek show and movie on DVD/Blu-ray.  Except Discovery, which I've only seen trailers for.

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator
35 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Huh. You didn't even bother trying to watch it, then?

I'm not going to get a streaming service for 1 show...  I'll do it for 2 shows though.  That and I don't have time to just binge on things lately.  I still haven't watched more than season 1 of Game of Thrones, for example.  (and I own all of them...)

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Myr said:

I'm not going to get a streaming service for 1 show...  I'll do it for 2 shows though.  That I don't have time to just binge on things lately.  I still haven't watched more than season 1 of Game of Thrones, for example.  (and I own all of them...)

I grew sick of Game of Thrones... I watched the first two seasons, but by three I'd grown tired of all the overblown and gratuitous sexual violence, and violence in general. 

Hope you like Discovery when you get to watch it. I love it, though I've gathered opinions are split. :P 

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator
On 1/2/2020 at 8:10 PM, Myr said:

I signed up for CBS All access, and of the ones of tried (Netflix, Amazon Prime) I like it the best. Not sure if it’s the same in the U.S., but in Canada, it’s the best price as well. 

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator
On 10/10/2019 at 2:14 AM, Valkyrie said:

I'm excited for this series.  I'm a huge TNG fan, especially of Picard.  

Same here, I’ve watched all the Star Trek shows, and all of the movies. Having said that I realized, I haven’t seen Discovery, though I heard it wasn’t very good. :unsure: 

• Like 4
  • Site Administrator
40 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Same here, I’ve watched all the Star Trek shows, and all of the movies. Having said that I realized, I haven’t seen Discovery, though I heard it wasn’t very good. :unsure: 

I haven't watched Disovery either, but I probably will if I end up getting CBS All Access to watch Picard.  

• Like 4
On 1/3/2020 at 10:38 PM, Thorn Wilde said:

All the Star Trek shows are on Netflix here, thankfully, so we don't have to sign up for any extra services to watch them. Picard will be released there weekly. Currently binging DS9 and Voyager while we wait. 

Haha, me too.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 1/6/2020 at 6:08 PM, Reader1810 said:

I think Discovery is fantastic. People were mad because it made some changes, made some of the alien races look a bit more alien (including the Klingons), and made a few changes to the timeline. This pissed off the so-called purists, but it’s not like it’s the first time Star Trek has retconned things (or changed what the Klingons looked like; TOS vs TNG and onward, anyone?). Some of the cis-het dude-bros also threw hissy-fits because there were gay people in it. But either way, it’s well acted, well written, and generally good TV, whether you consider it compatible with Star Trek lore or not. You can always think of if it as a standalone if it bothers you, like the new movies. That’s my opinion, anyway. I think you should give it a chance. :) 

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 1
  • Site Moderator
9 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

I think Discovery is fantastic. People were mad because it made some changes, made some of the alien races look a bit more alien (including the Klingons), and made a few changes to the timeline. This pissed off the so-called purists, but it’s not like it’s the first time Star Trek has retconned things (or changed what the Klingons looked like; TOS vs TNG and onward, anyone?). Some of the cis-het dude-bros also threw hissy-fits because there were gay people in it. But either way, it’s well acted, well written, and generally good TV, whether you consider it compatible with Star Trek lore or not. You can always think of if it as a standalone if it bothers you, like the new movies. That’s my opinion, anyway. I think you should give it a chance. :) 

After reading your comment, I think I will.

Have to say messing with timelines and/or disappearing characters as if they never existed is one of my biggest pet peeves in literature, but I can let that go (with a few grumbles along the way... ) as long as the story is good. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Reader1810 said:

After reading your comment, I think I will.

Have to say messing with timelines and/or disappearing characters as if they never existed is one of my biggest pet peeves in literature, but I can let that go (with a few grumbles along the way... ) as long as the story is good. 

Far as I can tell, they haven’t disappeared any characters... That said, I was never a big fan of TOS, my interest basically starts at TNG, so I can’t really speak to how much they did or did not mess with that. 

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Enthusiasm aborted.  I've have read further on this and seen some analysis by people I trust and agree with.

This has moved to the bottom of the list for me and I'll not be subscribing to CBS All access for the purpose of seeing it.  I'll check it out after I've caught up with everything else on my list.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I watched the series premiere of Star Trek Picard tonight. I'm hooked. Patrick Stewart still commands the screen, and the initial plot line is excellent. Some really great stuff for aficionados, in my humble opinion. Can't wait till next week. :) 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I watched the first episode last night and I love it! Though it's been way too long since I saw Star Trek Nemesis so there were a couple of moments where I had to grill my brain for context... Sadly, I have no interest in seeing Nemesis again because all I really remember was that it was a terrible movie. 😂 But all the same, I really enjoyed it and I can't wait for the next episode! It's on Prime here. I thought it was Netflix, because they have all the other Trek, including Discovery, but that would be logical... lol

• Love 2