Last Post Wins #52

Broccoli... Now what does that remind me of? Oh, yes!

As I get older I sometimes find that words just disappear from my head, if only for a moment.

As a point in example, a number of years ago I spent Christmas at my youngest sister's house in England. On Christmas Eve my sister announced that she was heading out to the market to get some last minute fruit and vegetables for the Christmas dinner, and asked me if there was anything in particular that I would like her to get. After a quick check of the vegetable rack in the kitchen I realised there was no broccoli, so decided to suggest she get some. The problem was that the word "broccoli" just decided at that instant to take a vacation from my brain.

So, the conversation went something like this:

"You could maybe get some... erm..." I started, and then stopped.

"Some what?" asked my sister.

"Erm... You know, Some..."

"No, I don't know. What is it you want?"

"Erm... A vegetable..."

"Well there's lots of different vegetables. Which one do you want me to get?"

"Oh, God! I can't think of its name."

"Well, I'm not a mind reader. So I don't know what you're talking about. What does this vegetable look like?"

"It's, erm... a bit like a cauliflower..." I paused, and then realised I wasn't being specific enough. "But a bit looser. And, erm... it's green..."

"Brocolli?" asked my sister.

"Yeah! Brocolli!"

My sister's eldest lad had overheard the conversation, started laughing, and said to his mum:

"Uncle Martin sounded just like Mandy then, mum."

"He did, didn't he?" my sister said, laughing back at him. "Maybe we should change his name to Aunty Mandy."

"Who's Mandy?" I asked, looking between them, somewhat confused.

It turned out that Mandy was one of the service users at my sister's place of work. She had worked for years in a day centre for adults with learning difficulties. It was situated in an old shop just off the main shopping street in town, was also a second hand shop, and provided secretarial type services to the general public (typing, printing, photocopying and the like). As it was open to the general public, my sister's children would often pop in on the way home from school, or during the school holidays sometimes. So they got to know most of the service users over the years.

Mandy would often forget what a word was, but never seemed to get upset about it, and would just start describing the word. For example, she would say something like "You know? It's flat on top, with four legs, and you sit on chairs at it to eat dinner." And then she would just beam with delight when someone said "Table?" and simply reply with "Yes! That's it!" as though the person who guessed it had solved a great puzzle.

Edited by Marty
Tidying up
  • Haha 2
  • Site Moderator

I got my second dose three days ago and so far no side effects.

I've not worn Denim in years. The Superhero and The BraveHearts will be having the Great Poetry Reading today. Afterwards, we'll have a Blueberry Pie eating contest.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, TalonRider said:

I got my second dose three days ago and so far no side effects.

I've not worn Denim in years. The Superhero and The BraveHearts will be having the Great Poetry Reading today. Afterwards, we'll have a Blueberry Pie eating contest.

You've been hanging around pantless all those years?! :o

Cherry Pie Food GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, TalonRider said:

I got my second dose three days ago

Congratulations!

My local Health Centre rang me this morning. I'm getting my second dose (Pfizer-BioNTech) on Friday morning.

giphy.gif

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Wesley8890 said:

Ive had no side effects either except the eyeball that appeared in my belly button.

Well, that's an awkward place for an eyeball. You must wear a lot of crop tops.

• Haha 2
  • Site Moderator

But not for very long as I swoop in and take the shiny.

If you let them, a Poet will put a Poem In Your Pocket. For all you gardeners, it's National Peace Rose Day. Be careful which one you play with today, it's Zipper Day. For lunch today, the cat/bird will be serving Shrimp Scampi to us for lunch.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Site Moderator

Now that all the waving is done, I'll take off with the shiny for safe keeping.

It' a list type of day today.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, TalonRider said:

National Hairstylist Appreciation Day

The Irish Government announced a series of planned lifting of Covid-19 restrictions yesterday evening.

One of them was that hairdressers will be reopening (by appointment only) from 10th May. 

That made me almost as happy as the receiving of my second Pfizer BioNTech jab this morning did.

068d85ffc4f7ebf436c3c8570fba0d58.gif

• Love 1
  • Haha 2
7 minutes ago, astone2292 said:

bugs bunny beauty GIF by Looney Tunes

I'll knock out two things from the list at once! 

I suppose I should have found a GIF of Bugs Bunny doing the happy dance instead of one of Snoopy... :yes: