Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Fairy Out of Her Tale - Dear Diary - 22. Scene 22

In which they're pressed for time, but still stop at a coffee shop.

10th January 1995

Dear Travelling Diary,

 

The hospital is now a distant memory. It’s hard to believe I was there just this morning.

The sun is setting and I’m sitting at a coffee shop. The guard who brought me here is making a point of not looking at me, though not because he’s a bad person. When I said I wanted to write on my diary, he understood my need for privacy and even apologised!

‘I’m sorry I can’t leave you alone. It’s a big risk in your situation, and I want to get you to your new family safe.’ Mamoru (that’s his name) is so sweet! He doesn’t know enough Fadalesh to sound boring and formal like the other guards at the hospital. It’s such a nice change to hear someone trying to speak ‘normal’!

I can almost forget that he’s risking his life to protect me from savage demons. Me! A murderer and a stranger! I don’t deserve someone so nice. Mamoru made his skin darken to match mine and turned his hair from boring straight to lusciously wavy. He’s so charming! I don’t know how old he is, but he doesn’t act like he’s that much older than me. Can shape-shifters disguise their age too? The more I spend time with them, the more I think they’re too powerful for their own good and it’s not fair on other races.

Speaking of other races, I have a demon guard too, but she doesn’t speak much, at least not with me. We did the basic name-pronoun introduction (her name is Branjka), but her Fadalesh is even worse than Mamoru’s, so she just stares at me (I don’t think she knows how to blink). Her horns are not very curvy, but they’re long enough that she has to duck under doorways. She couldn’t stay on the window seat of the train either. Her horns kept trying to break through the upper luggage compartment until she moved to the aisle seat.

I forgot to say, we’re not in Macchikai anymore (that’s the city where the hospita was). We’re half a country away, in Daisen’s ultra-modern and super-ugly capital Enkyo. The name means “Fire City” in the local language, though it has much more "“concrete” than “fire” in it as far as I can see. No plants outside, no trees, no parks, no greens. It couldn’t be more different from fairy villages. Do people actually like to live here?

Considering this city houses millions of people, they probably do. Somehow.

We stopped in this caffé to rest a little before we go on to my new house. I don’t want people’s first impression of me to be of some exhausted fairy with a stubble and winckly clothes. I’m taking the opportunity to clear my head, put the day of travelling behind me, and focus on the future. I still don’t think I deserve a future like this, but what use is it to argue? Being stuck in a grey city where not even mosquitos hang around to give me a taste of nature might turn out to be punishing enough. Enkyo sounds like car horns and engines instead of birds and violins. The air here tastes of smoke instead of flowers.

This place is a perfect reminder that I’m no longer welcomed by nature.

 

Branjka looks tense. Mamoru seems worried, but he’s still not looking at me.

I’ll leave you here for now. It’s probably a good idea to get moving and find the house with the protective wards sooner rather than later.

We’ll talk again when I get home.

Thanks for reading!

Now that the hospital is (finally) no longer part of the story, we're entering Part 3 - Arrival.
"Arrival" where? You may ask... is it Nessa's nice and cosy new home, or is it the devil's lair?
Her body guards are worried after all...

I'll leave you with this cheerful note to enjoy the rest of your weekend. And also with the usual reminder nudge-nudge that $1/month can get rid of most of your plot-induced anxieties if you visit my Patreon page.
See you Tuesday!
Copyright © 2018 James Hiwatari; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Sailor Moon fan? I love the name Mamoru! I hope Nessa gets something good going for her. I'd love to know more about Branjka.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 2/18/2018 at 11:49 AM, Wesley8890 said:

Sailor Moon fan? I love the name Mamoru! I hope Nessa gets something good going for her. I'd love to know more about Branjka.

Fun fact: Sailor Moon was one of the first animes to make its way to Brazil in the 90s. I was around 5-6 at the time, and I loved it. We didn't get the original names, though, so I didn't find out Mamoru was called that until much later.

 

That said, this Mamoru was not named because of that Mamoru. It's more like they were named for the same reason: "Mamoru" means protection/defence, so that was really a most suitable name for a bodyguard. 

"Branjka" also sort of means "protection", though not as blatantly as Mamoru's case. I made some spelling alterations to the Slovak name "Braňka" (so I wouldn't have to deal with a letter that I don't normally have on my keyboard), which is the diminutive of Branislava. The "bran" part comes from "borna" and means protection, according to the Behind the Name website. So there. Nessa got as literal protection as she could. 

Link to comment

Branjka seems like a character I could get behind. A normal person with problems in an ever-changing world. I hope her new home is at least somewhat nice and so are the people. It would suck having to take shelter for god knows how long and being uncomfortable with people who don't want to have you around. Let's hope that that does not happen to Nessa. Though living in a city with no green; nope. I'd never cope... I'd be heading in another direction altogether. I need green in my life.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 4/24/2018 at 8:28 PM, D.K. Daniels said:

Branjka seems like a character I could get behind. A normal person with problems in an ever-changing world. I hope her new home is at least somewhat nice and so are the people. It would suck having to take shelter for god knows how long and being uncomfortable with people who don't want to have you around. Let's hope that that does not happen to Nessa. Though living in a city with no green; nope. I'd never cope... I'd be heading in another direction altogether. I need green in my life.

I don't think it's just the fairies that agree with you about the no green city. Sure, Enkyo's population density is on par with London's, but it's only because plenty of people put their money ahead of overall quality of life and pretty scenery...

As of today you made it to nearly a third of the story! Yay!

(Now let's hope it doesn't become a competition of who takes longer - you to read the next part or me to reply to comments...)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, James Hiwatari said:

I don't think it's just the fairies that agree with you about the no green city. Sure, Enkyo's population density is on par with London's, but it's only because plenty of people put their money ahead of overall quality of life and pretty scenery...

As of today you made it to nearly a third of the story! Yay!

(Now let's hope it doesn't become a competition of who takes longer - you to read the next part or me to reply to comments...)

Ah what can I say, I am reading a lot of books and at the same time, I am writing five stories lol, it's about juggling I suppose, but no doubt I will finish your story. Although I am sorry for the lengthy responses also, just know that I haven't lost interest lol.

Link to comment
On 6/12/2018 at 12:31 PM, D.K. Daniels said:

Ah what can I say, I am reading a lot of books and at the same time, I am writing five stories lol, it's about juggling I suppose, but no doubt I will finish your story. Although I am sorry for the lengthy responses also, just know that I haven't lost interest lol.

I know the feeling! T___T

I'm technically working on 3 stories, though it's actually 4 (because one is The Orchestra, which I'm working on while also writing its improved book version from the beginning), plus Be Myself! and MaruMonzterz which are always on the back of my mind in their hibernation state, plus the general shared universe where everything takes place that I also keep getting ideas for and I can't wait to actually reach the point where the stories will meet...

I've made myself a school-style timetable to try get all that writing done on top of work and other stuff. How do you juggle all your stuff?

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..