Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Fairy Out of Her Tale - Dear Diary - 52. Scene 52

Due to me accidentally posting Scene 50 twice, then failing to delete the extra chapter and "unpublishing" it instead, it seems some people might have had problems getting to Scene 51 when it actually came out on Friday. If you are one of those people, you should have no problem reading it now. Go check it out before continuing with today's scene.

21st January 1995

Dear Diary of Unsettled Stomachs,

 

Unn still wasn't with us for lunch. It made me worried, even though having Lydia sit next to me and feed me some of her food was quite distracting. Kris made a rude comment at some point (his tone made it obvious what it was, even if I didn't understand the words), which Lydia amusingly translated as "Thank Czer we're not having spaghetti." I was going to ask who this Czer was, but Lydia offered another mouthful of her lemon tofu strips and I got distracted. It's not like it matters anyway, it's probably the name of some shape-shifter deity he believes in (and who's obviously nowhere near as great as our Mother Deity).

But because Unn wasn't there again, Lydia and I decided we should go visit her after lunch. She was in her swimming pool bed, keeping her fish half under water while the person-shaped half rested on a floating blue mattress. She looked like she was about to vomit (or had just vomited, or both). She didn't lift her head to look at us until we spoke to her.

'How are you feeling?' I asked after the basic greetings.

Unn snorted. 'How do you think? If I felt anything worth being happy about, I wouldn't be here.'

Lydia jumped on my defence. 'No need to be so snarky, she was just trying to be polite.'

'My room has been spinning for the last two days. I'm not going to apologise for not being the most conversational.'

'Maybe we should leave...' I turned back to the door, but Lydia grabbed my arm before I could move.

'We'll go soon, I promise.' She smiled to me and turned back to Unn. 'We came here to check on you and to thank you for helping us get back together.'

'You're dating again? I didn't do anything.'

'Well, sort of. It was because of your act of self-endangerment that Lóránt called us all yesterday and said we should at least try to make an effort to be friends and look out for each other. That made me want to give Nessa another chance.'

'And Lydia turned out to be pretty forgiven with she realised I didn't understand what I had done.'

Unn lifted her head briefly again, just enough to glimpse at us keeping our bodies as close as the laws of nature allowed. 'I'm happy for you. As much as I can be happy about anything.'

'And we want to extend to you the same offer,' Lydia said. Unn lifted her head again in an impulse, but groaned and laid back down like she would definitely be sick any second now. Lydia closed her eyes, but continued to speak anyway. 'We've had our differences and we were never proper friends before, even though we've been living together for a few years. Maybe it's about time we change that.'

'Are you going to say the same to Kris?'

'Dear Mother Deity, no!'

Lydia looked at me with an eyebrow raised, and I felt Unn's intent to stare too.

'He scares me,' I explained. 'I don't think he wants to be our friend anyway.'

'Maybe not. We can see about it later.' Lydia patted my lower back in reassurance (that was about as high as she could comfortably reach) and turned her attention to Unn again. 'So, what do you say? Can we try to be friends and look out for each other like Lóránt said?'

'I'll think about it when I'm not using all my brain cells to not release whatever is left in my stomach.'

'Are you dizzy because of the ice cream still?' I asked.

'No.' Unn gripped the floating mattress until her knuckles turned white, then let go and took a deep breathe. 'The ice cream just caused me to get rid of every bit of food I had on my body. It's been over for a while now.'

'Then why are you still sick?'

'Because all the vomiting and other biological functions I shall not mention in the presence of a dwarf also got rid of the spell that was keeping me from getting sea sick again. Lóránt hasn't been able to replace it yet.'

'Spell for sea sickness? How can merpeople get sea sick?' I asked again. Lydia gave me a look that said I should've kept my mouth shut, but it was already too late.

'Exactly! Even the clueless fairy thinks it's a ridiculous idea!' Unn grunted. 'It's one of those rare diseases that baffle scientists because they go against any evolution or spiritual theory they've ever come up with. The movement of the water currents makes me dizzy, which means that the first few years of my life under water were one long, sick nightmare.' Unn stopped to grip the floating mattress again. Lydia and I waited in silence, as if pretending we weren't aware of how close she was to do something disgusting we would rather not watch. 'I've always wanted to live in the surface, escape the water, but my family and just about everyone in our flock believed merpeople should live and die at sea. They said life up here wasn't made for us, that people would cut off my tail to make sushi with and leave me dying on the beach as soon as I approached the shore.'

'That's horrible.' I would need a lot of Lydia cuddles to not have nightmares with that mental image tonight.

'And the most senseless lie, but whatever. In comes Thorfinn, a merperson-demon guy who promised he could put a spell on me to make the dizziness stop. I was 13, didn't know any better, and my parents were keen to do anything that would stop me pestering them about going to the surface.'

'I have an idea where this is going.'

'Then do me a favour and don't make me say anything else.' Unn capsised the mattress and swam to the furthest corner from us. Lydia realised what was going on before I did and hurried me out of the room.

'We need to give her privacy,' she said as she kicked the door shut and led us back to my room.

'Are the demons after Unn because of that spell?'

'I think so, though I don't know the details.'

'I hope Lóránt can make her feel better soon.'

'Yeah, me too.'

We stood there in silence for a while, before we realised we were alone in my room and had a very inviting bed waiting for us. We didn't think about Unn again until Lóránt called us for dinner, and, to be honest, I can't bring myself to feel guilty about it.

Thanks for reading!
Will Unn accept Nessa and Lydia's offer of friendship? Is Kris about to be the only one excluded from this new group of BFFs? Or will the girl eventually include him too?
(Nessa is taking bets. We tried to warn her against it, but she thinks it'll bring her closer to the readers, so feel free to prove her right or wrong)
I have also started to put together all the (non-spoilery) information about Nessa's world in a place called World Anvil. Check out my page to read everything there is to know about Nessa, her mother, her step-father, and fairies and their religion. Where else would you get to read about the relationship between Nessa's father and step-father, or how they met Nessa's mother as adorable little children? More pages will come soon.
And after 52 scene you can probably smell the Patreon announcement. Well, your instincts aren't wrong. Here it is: become my patron, watch as I fold over in gratitude, and be amused by how far I'll go in order to be loved and financially supported by other people!
Copyright © 2018 James Hiwatari; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another great chapter as usual. It appears that Lydia and Nessa are starting to do as Lorant asked them to do. Nessa and Lydia are talking again and paid a visit to Unn to see if they can become friends and have each other's backs. Unn wasn't to receptive to the idea, of course that could be related to the sickness that is keeping her in bed. I definitely didn't see the fact that even though Unn is a merperson that she could be seasick especially since her people live in the ocean. I hope that Lorant is able to get the spell back on Unn soon as she's mean when she's sick. I wonder if the girls will try to make friends with Kris like they were told by Lorant, I think it would be advantageous for all of them because they could be together when they need to be. I see several pluses for the kids to be friends one is that it might take a bit of pressure off Lorant. It makes sense to have the kids watch each other's backs as at least there wouldn't be a chance that the demons catching any of them unprepared for the attack and make it almost impossible for one of them to be taken by the demons. Another advantage is that they'd never really be alone so that a demon could get to them. I can't wait to read the next scene in the story so that I can see what happens when Unn gets well again. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 4/30/2018 at 12:12 AM, Wesley8890 said:

Loved it!!!

Thanks! :D

Chapters that reveal just a little bit of a character's background are my favourite to write, so I'm glad you loved it too! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 4/30/2018 at 5:50 AM, Butcher56 said:

Another great chapter as usual. It appears that Lydia and Nessa are starting to do as Lorant asked them to do. Nessa and Lydia are talking again and paid a visit to Unn to see if they can become friends and have each other's backs. Unn wasn't to receptive to the idea, of course that could be related to the sickness that is keeping her in bed. I definitely didn't see the fact that even though Unn is a merperson that she could be seasick especially since her people live in the ocean. I hope that Lorant is able to get the spell back on Unn soon as she's mean when she's sick. I wonder if the girls will try to make friends with Kris like they were told by Lorant, I think it would be advantageous for all of them because they could be together when they need to be. I see several pluses for the kids to be friends one is that it might take a bit of pressure off Lorant. It makes sense to have the kids watch each other's backs as at least there wouldn't be a chance that the demons catching any of them unprepared for the attack and make it almost impossible for one of them to be taken by the demons. Another advantage is that they'd never really be alone so that a demon could get to them. I can't wait to read the next scene in the story so that I can see what happens when Unn gets well again. 

Ah, friendships... 

Fast forward some 17 scenes and we can see just where friendship takes you. 

Of course, whether I mean this in a good or bad way remains to be seen (or it would be one horrible spoiler...)

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..