Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Fairy Out of Her Tale - Dear Diary - 39. Scene 39

Not your usual diary entry.

NOTES FROM “DIGGIN’ WITH DWARVES”

 

Quote

Dwarves are one half of the Earth race, though casual observers would be forgiven to think they are Fire beings. Their other half, the Giants, are often mistaken for being of Ice.

I can definitely feel Lydia’s fire. She doesn’t seem like an Earthy being at all. I wonder what giants are like (other than really tall, that is).

Quote

The division between Dwarf and Giant is unique among the Six Great Elemental Races. While other races present sexual dymorphism reflecting different roles in reproduction, Dwarves present no sexual dymorphysm at all, and neither do Giants. Instead, Dwarves invariably produce the sperm that fertilises a Giant’s egg.

 

I knew Lydia has a penis, but I don’t remember ever learning that all dwarves do. Maybe it’s a failure of the fairy education system?

This book has this really weird obsession with writing Dwarves and Giants and Six Great Elemental Races and any other words it thinks need Special Emphasis in All Capitals. Weird. I think my grandma wrote like that. This book is not even that old - it’s from 1990! Maybe the author is as old as grandma.

This note is a reminder to look up Jurandir Marapuama - find out how old he is and if he shares anything else with dad other than his name.

Quote

Dwarves, due to their short stature and weak constitution, are considered too weak to survive in the outside world. Giants, on the other hand, have evolved to fight and protect their other halves. This is why Dwarves live in villages carved inside mountains, and Giants stablish communities outiside the entrance of said village, guarding it from predators and other dangers.

 

Dwarves have weak constitution? Lydia seems healthy enough to me. And her body is made of hair and muscles in equal measure, so she looks anything but sickly.

Quote

Traditionally, Dwarves and Giants only interact once a year during the Valley Festival. This is the time those of reproductive age leave their communites and engage in life-generating activities for an entire week. Aphrodisiac drugs are often consumed.

 

Dwarves have giant orgies when they want to have babies? Though by the looks of it they don’t know any of the giants they are potentially having sex with. I wouldn’t want to have a child with someone I’ve never met before.

Quote

Gestation takes half a year. Babies born with Uterus will develop into Giants, and those with Testicles will become Dwarves. One and a half years after the Babies are born, they go with their Mothers to the Valley Festival. Dwarves bring them inside the mountain at the end, where the Children will remain for the next decade. The entire Dwarvian Community brings up all the Children as one. Giant Children are taken back to their Mothers around the age of 11 or 12, when they outgrow the Dwarvian tunnels. All Children then go through a Ceremony of Initiation to Adulthood.

 

I can’t decide whether I like the dwares’ way of life or not. I like that everybody takes care of the children together (it resonates a lot with our fairy believes, even if we have a proper “father, mother, lovers” household structure that they lack). But it’s so sad that the only time dwarves and giants get to actually live together is when they’re children… Do they recognise each other when they grow up and meet again at their yearly orgy?

(Note to self: propose yearly orgy to Lydia when we make up)

(Though make it clear Kris is not invited. Just in case she thinks its ok for him to come along.)

Quote

Social Taboos: Dwarves do not tolerate mentions or discussions of bodily functions relating to the digestive system. Dwarves are particularly susceptible to Diseases from untreated biological waste.

 

At least I know Unn wasn’t lying to me. Sort of. The book doesn’t say anything about them not liking farts due to their smell.

Quote

Dwarves are generally mistrustful of Outsiders (other than Giants). They are small-minded creatures who will take any phrase they do not understand as an insult and any attempt at genuine Friendship as a business relationship with ulterior motives.

 

I don’t think the author likes dwarves.

Quote

Fairies are advised to stay clear of Dwarves unless absolutely necessary. Dwarves are not your Friends. They will never be your Friends. Stay away from them.

 

Never mind. The author definitely doesn’t like dwarves. Why write a book about them, then?

Quote

In Conclusion, Dwarves and Giants are strange beings who should be aproached with caution. Fairies will not gain their Trust easily and are advised to not waste their time trying. However, Dwarves’ strangeness is what makes them worth observing from a distance.

 

I think it’s the author I don’t trust.

Quote

Jurandir Marapuama lives in Enkyo and is currently married to a Dwarf. They have three children and seven grandchildren.

 

I… I don’t know what to think anymore.

Thanks for reading!
What do you think of Nessa's research notes? She really wants to get to know more about dwarves, though this might not have been the best book. If only she could read other languages, maybe she would have a more reliable source of information...
Nessa's usual diary entries will be back on Sunday. She just happened to not have any other spare bit of paper to make her notes in as she read the (admittedly weird) book from a fellow fairy. Will this research be enough to help her make up with Lydia? Or will she need some extra, unexpected help...?
(Answers may or may not be found by those who seek my Patreon page and agree to part with a generous $1 of their personal collection every month. This small gesture goes a long way to give a writer his dream livelihood)
See you Sunday!
Copyright © 2018 James Hiwatari; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well, the book was not all that helpful now was it? Dwarves are not friends for faeries but yet the author is married to one.that's messed up big time! I'm glad Nessa decided to do some research though. A very informative chapter. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I agree with Wesley in that the book wasn't all that helpful. I think it's a good thing Nessa decided to do the research about dwarves. I wonder if the Jurandir Marapuama that Nessa read about is her father, the reason I say that is she said it was her father's name. I hope that Nessa and Lydia do get back together and then maybe Nessa can find out if Lydia knows if Jurandir is a fairy or not and if he is then he might be her father. This was a very informative chapter about the dwarves and I look forward to reading more about how all of this helps Nessa. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 3/30/2018 at 12:50 PM, Wesley8890 said:

Well, the book was not all that helpful now was it? Dwarves are not friends for faeries but yet the author is married to one.that's messed up big time! I'm glad Nessa decided to do some research though. A very informative chapter. 

I'm glad you liked the research-notes-scenes. I might do a few more in the future, if I can make them sound more entertaining than a proper in-story inclusion. 

I recently started using a world-building site to put together all the information about Nessa's world, if you want to check it out. I haven't gone about publicising it yet because I haven't actually written that many pages, though my plan is to spend at least half a day on it tomorrow, so I might make a proper announcement soon. 

 

The world is called "Verdera" (at least in Fadalesh). Click on the link to be the first reader to be officially sent there! :D 
(Or wait until Sunday to see more than 3 pages)  

Link to comment
On 3/30/2018 at 5:52 PM, Butcher56 said:

I agree with Wesley in that the book wasn't all that helpful. I think it's a good thing Nessa decided to do the research about dwarves. I wonder if the Jurandir Marapuama that Nessa read about is her father, the reason I say that is she said it was her father's name. I hope that Nessa and Lydia do get back together and then maybe Nessa can find out if Lydia knows if Jurandir is a fairy or not and if he is then he might be her father. This was a very informative chapter about the dwarves and I look forward to reading more about how all of this helps Nessa. 

What is it about disappearing-and-presumed-dead fathers that lend them so well to those cool theories and speculations and mysteries and plot points? 

It's probably the whole "presumed dead" thing. Nobody believes they're really dead when they read that. 

Did you? 

 

I mean, I'm not about to say whether the Jurandir-who-is-Nessa's-father is still alive and kicking and will have a major role to play in the plot in the future. And I'm not about to say that Jurandir-who-is-Nessa's-father is also Jurandir -who-wrote-the-book. Because, you know, either of those options (or both) could potentially ruin some nice surprises further down the plot. 

I'm sure you understand, right? 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..