Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Fairy Out of Her Tale - Dear Diary - 30. Scene 30

In which Nessa is bored.

12th January 1995

Dear Unidentifiable Diary,

 

It’s quiet in the house now. My housemates are off to school and Lóránt is working on some boring administrative thing in their room. I’m bored. Apparently I’ll go to school too once I get better and have some basic understanding of the local language. Lóránt said they would normally put me in a fairy school so the language barrier wouldn’t hold me down, but my situation makes it obviously impossible.

I want to start those language lessons soon. I want to be able to live in this new place of strange people who can’t go a day without changing their faces (how do they know who’s who?). I want to fit in with those people who had no questions about accepting me among them despite the horrible things I did. Is it possible to become a honorary shape-shifter? It’s not like I can be a fairy anyway…

And speaking of belonging with shape-shifters, I don’t think I’ve shown you my brand new ID card (yes, I’m so bored I’ll talk about the first thing I see. Said ID card just happens to be on my bedside table right now). I got it with Mamoru and Branjka before we left Macchikai, but I didn’t have the opportunity to mention it then, with all the stuff that happened.

(Mamoru didn’t have to die.)

(Branjka is still around, though. I think she’s supposed to keep being my bodyguard whenever I’m away from Lóránt’s protection. I hope it won’t take too long until we can communicate properly.)

ID card. Yes. I’m not going to remember sad things now. Let’s do boring administrative chat instead.

To be honest, the whole notion of needing an ID card is weird. I’d never even seen one in person before - only heard about them from foreign movies and books. After all, who needs to carry a piece of plastic at all times when our wings are perfectly capable of identifying us to strangers? But shape-shifters are not like that (again - how can they tell each other apart without looking at the ID thing? Will I ever find out?).

My little plastic card has my name in big letters at the front (all text is in both their weird writing and mine, so I can read what it says) and my date of birth underneath. They write it funny, though: 1978-07-19 instead of 19 July 1978. Maybe in their language they say it like this too, with the year first? But why would anyone do that? We all know the important part is the day and the month so you get to know when to give someone their birthday gifts.

My card says “fairy” underneath the date of birth. Back when I was giving the information to have it made, I tried to argue with the officers in charge that I wasn’t a fairy anymore, but that person just shrugged. ‘If you were born a fairy, you’ll still be classified as a fairy no matter what happened to your powers. You can hardly become a shape-shifter or a giant, so deal with it.’

It was a similar thing to what Lóránt tole me later, but back then (I write as if it was a long time ago instead of… two days ago? Really? It feels so much longer…) I was a lot less inclined to accept it. Though it did make me think about what I would be like as a shape-shifter: I would keep my hair pink all the time, and make it so curly I would’t have to brush it anymore. Do shape-shifters need hairbrushes? Or can they just will their hair to tidy itself up?

The prettiest thing in the card is a giant holographic square placed next to the written information. It shines in different ways depending on how you position it against the light. Apparently all I have to do to prove that this card belongs to me is touch that hologram with my thumb. The card turns green if I do. One of the police officers showed me what happens when the wrong person tries to use the card: it turns red and gives some sort of non-lethal but really painful electric shock to the impostor. I wonder if the same thing happens if a stranger touches the card by accident? I hope not. That would be too ridiculous a design flaw for something that I’ll need to use everywhere I go around here.

(Yes, apparently I’m required to carry that card thingy at all times. Do shape-shifters have trust issues? Or are they that paranoid because they’re used to people impersonating others? Maybe they actually can’t tell each other apart and that’s why they go through all the trouble to create an identification method that doesn’t even bother with pictures.)

I’m tired and even more bored now. You’ll hear from me again when I think of another random object in my room to describe for another 3 pages.

Thanks for reading!
This scene is a little bit of a breather for Nessa. After all, only two days ago she was running for her life and she saw someone die in front of her. Surely that should have an impact on her?
That fairy needs counselling...
Anyway, believe it or not, the information in here is not completely useless. As bored as Nessa is, she's still not going to babble about non-plot relevant things that waste everyone's time.
If you're not yet my patron, Nessa will be back on Sunday with another character introduction (of sorts). At least that one goes much better than Kris's...

See you then!
Copyright © 2018 James Hiwatari; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 3/9/2018 at 3:17 PM, Wesley8890 said:

Yay! A non depressing chapter! The I'd does sound fascinating

I actually enjoy writing the non-depressing chapters (particularly the funny ones) much more than the serious ones. We'll have quite a few of those for now, while Nessa is settling in and getting used to her new life. 

So enjoy it while it lasts! ;) 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..