Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Fairy Out of Her Tale - Dear Diary - 40. Scene 40

In which Nessa has ideas...

16th January 1995

Dear Diary of Useless Mornings,

 

I found only one book about dwarves in Fadalesh in our library. I’m sorry I ended up writing my notes all over you, but I didn’t have another place I trusted enough to do that. I didn’t want to leave marks on the actual book, and I didn’t want to risk Unn or Lydia accidentally finding and reading my thoughts about them.

I’m sure you understand.

I read that book 3 times by now, and I still can’t be sure I should trust the author. Why sound like you hate dwarves when you’re married to one and your children are half-dwarves (or half-giants)? Maybe I should ask Lóránt. This book can’t be that bad if it’s in this library. Lydia has access to it too, so if it offended her, surely Lóránt would’ve taken it out?

If a book about fairies sounded this snarky about us, I definitely wouldn’t take it well.

 

I’m bored.

 

Everybody is at school again. I had breakfast in my room, alone. Lydia didn’t come to say goodbye. Neither did Unn. And I’m really glad Kris didn’t consider doing it. But now I haven’t talked to anyone for most of the day (other than greet Lóránt when they brought me food and reassured me the stitches will be off soon). It’s nearly lunchtime, so that’s close to 5 hours of silence!

Five. Hours.

And I don’t even feel like playing Fairy Fun Greenhouse anymore because I got to a horrible part of the game at level 32: all my plants are dying, there is an alien invasion, and my neighbour’s garden was hit by some strange radiation, so now all their plants are creating tentacles and trying to eat all of my plants that still have some life in them. How do I get past that?

That’s probably the only circumstance I’ll ever wish I was friends with Kris. I’m sure he’s long past that part of the game. If he was a nicer person, I would’ve already asked for advice.

 

I have an idea!

I’m not sure how long it’ll take me to regret that idea, but at least I have one!

I’m tired of not understanding the local language, or any language other than Fadalesh (are we the only ones who don’t learn any foreign languages at our schools? How come everyone around here seems to be able to speak at least 3? It’s so embarrassing when I think about it…). Lóránt said I would start to learn eventually, but they’re even more vague about it than they are about my stitches.

It’s time I take matters in my own hands!

Literally: I’m sure the library has a dictionary and some books that can at least give me a heads up on the weird writing of this place. Then, by the time Lóránt finally comes around to giving me lessons, we can go straight to words and phrases and things I need for survival instead of the senseless scribble I see everywhere.

I swear it looks more like they were trying to make some sort of complicated artwork than writing messages.

I’ll find those books, and then I’ll show you what I mean about the funny squiggles.

You wait!

Thanks for reading!
And Happy Easter!
I'm sure Nessa is hoping you all got plenty of chocolate eggs. Never mind that she probably doesn't know anything about a weird religious holiday that somehow associates the death and resurrection of God's son with egg-laying bunnies. 
And she probably doesn't want to know about all the sensible explanations of appropriation of pagan holidays to make conversion easier or consumerist drive generated by capitalism. She's a 16 year-old girl with relationship troubles. She's got more important things to worry about. ;) 
 
That said, the next scene will *fingers crossed* come with an image file. I'll probably attach it as a comment (don't think you can add images to the main chapter text?) so that you can all see for yourselves what Daisenian calligraphy looks likes on the hands of a completely inexperienced fairy.    
Copyright © 2018 James Hiwatari; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 4/1/2018 at 11:16 PM, Wesley8890 said:

Hey where's the shameless self promotion of your patreon? 

Look, someone noticed the lac of shameless self-promotion of my patreon! 

 

It sort of went into hiding that day. I eventually found it under my bed, playing with all the lost treasures I keep there. It said something about "offer Easter Eggs to new patrons" and proceeded to ignore me from then on, so take your own conclusions, I guess...? 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..