Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 2,654 Words
  • 1,377 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Contains some graphic sex scenes.

Catering with Benefits (1) - 41. MOVING OUT

A few days later, Thomas called Andy to chat. He had three reasons for calling, so set aside some time for a long chat.

“Price’s studio, this is Andre, how may I help you” he answered in a French accent.

“Oh, you can drop that, it’s me.”

“Hi, how’s things?”

“Really good, have you got some time to chat?”

“Sure, I don’t have any appointments till after lunch, what’s on your mind?”

“Well you are on my mind.”

“That’s sweet of you, how specifically?”

“Have you talked to old man Price yet?”

“No not yet, but I’m getting there, besides I don’t have anywhere to go if I leave Potts Point.”

“That’s reason two for calling. I’ve found you a flatmate.”

“That was quick, who?”

“Me”

“But you live at the mansion, I can’t move in there; that would look a bit strange, wouldn’t it?

“Not at the mansion, I’ve been thinking of getting my own flat anyway, even before we had that chat about you leaving.”

“Why now after all the years you’ve lived rent free at the mansion?”

“You are aware that I now have a relationship?”

“Of course, Jared.”

“And why have the two of us often found it difficult to start relationships?”

“Because we live in, are always on call and don’t have any privacy.”

“Exactly! And now that I have Jared in my life, I don’t want anything to come between us. My lifestyle could if I don’t change things.”

“So what do you have in mind?”

“We look for a flat in a suitable location, maybe half way between the city and Castle Hill, so that we can both easily commute to work.”

“I didn’t think I would ever be a commuter.”

“Well I use the word loosely, I meant travel to work.”

“You know Thomas, sometimes you astound me with the great ideas you have.”

“Well, that’s my job really, to have great ideas and keep Mrs P. happy”.

“I don’t think this one will make her happy”

“I can handle that.”

“I’ll have to think about it Thomas, it’s a big move for me.”

“That’s what you said last time we had a conversation about you leaving Mr P.”

“I know but.....”

Thomas interrupted “Listen, you have to take control of your own life. Last time you said you had nowhere to go. I have solved that for you, now what’s stopping you?”

“Telling Mr P.”

“I even offered to help you with that.”

“I know but I really have to do that myself.”

“Well, for fuck’s sake get on with it mate. In the meantime I’m going to start looking for a flat. That will leave you with no excuse not to get on with this, and start to make our new lives more real. How about it?”

“Look, I really want to move out of Potts Point and it would be great to share with you, I couldn’t think of anyone better, but...”

“If I hear that word one more time Andy I’m going to come over there and strangle you.”

“Ok, ok I’ll do it!”

“Maybe on this occasion I will give you some advice that I would not normally do.”

“Oh, what’s that?”

“Have a few drinks to give you some courage, but not too many, just enough to settle the nerves but still retain your resolve to do the job.”

“Ok, maybe I should make drinks for both of us tonight and after we both relax I will raise the subject and see how I go.”

“No, that’s not the right attitude. Don’t say ‘I’ll see how I go’, you have to be more positive and tell yourself ‘I will do it’. Got it?”

“All right already, don’t nag me!”

“Sorry mate, I just want you to be happy so you must do this.”

“I know.”

“Good, I’ll expect to hear good news from you tomorrow. Ring me anytime if you need to talk. I mean anytime, day or night.”

“You are the best friend, I’ll do it and I’ll call you tomorrow. Bye.”

“No don’t go yet, I’ve something else to talk about.”

“What?”

“Remember when we were at the party last weekend and Jared showed an interest in the barman’s nipple jewellery?”

“Yes, it seemed to take you by surprise.”

“It did, but when I thought about it later, it gave me an idea. Do you realise we have been together nearly six months now, so I was going to celebrate that milestone by giving him a gift. I was having trouble thinking of something appropriate, then it hit me, some nipple jewellery would be great, especially now that I know he has an interest in it.”

“So, I assume he does not have any yet. Is he pierced?”

“I’m pretty sure he’s not pierced, as I’ve not seen him wear anything, and don’t you have to regularly wear studs or the piercing will close up.”

“That’s correct, so what did you have in mind?”

“I’ve got an idea that does not involve piercing. I will draw a rough sketch and some suggestions and email it over to you. The engineering might be tricky, so when you get it let me know what you think.”

“Engineering? I’m a jewellery designer, not an engineer.”

“I’ve seen some of your work that shows you clearly have an understanding of engineering. Remember that piece you designed for a visiting princess from some minor royal family. It was a very ordinary looking brooch until it was touched and then the petals opened up to reveal a large diamond.”

“OK, send it over and I’ll see what I can do.”

“Thanks, and before I go, what have you got to do tonight?”

“I know, I know, I will, trust me.”

“That’s what I want to hear. Bye for now and I will be thinking of you.”

“Bye Thomas.”

***

As well as Andy, Thomas also had to speak to Virginia Price about his plans. Although he was not as averse to telling his employer as Andy was. The respective relationships with their employers were completely different. Thomas’s was purely professional, while Andy’s had a more personal context to it. He tossed up in his mind whether to send her a message or do it face to face. In the end he decided the personal approach was better and they could discuss the process at the same time. Mrs Price was home and he knew she did not have any appointments all day, so he decided to call her and suggest they have lunch together in the garden. He did not tell her his reason for the meeting and she was not concerned as they occasionally lunched together either to discuss forthcoming events or just a ‘catch-up’ as she called it.

Thomas called the kitchen and arranged for a light lunch to be served in the coolness of the wisteria covered gazebo. Thomas arrived early, as was his habit, to ensure all was set up properly. A table for two had been set with a lime green tablecloth, Sterling silver cutlery, pure white Wedgewood crockery and a range of glasses. While he was inspecting the table arrangement, Carol approached with a jug of iced water and Mrs Price’ favourite champagne in a silver ice bucket. He thanked Carol for the setting and the drinks then waited, while going over his approach to the subject.

When Thomas saw Mrs Price coming down the path, ten minutes late, he realised the champagne had been sitting there in melting ice for fifteen minutes. Thomas had observed over the years that she was usually very fussy about the temperature of her champagne. After complimenting her on her outfit and thanking her for agreeing to lunch with him he asked, “Would you like me to get another bottle of chilled champagne, this has been here for fifteen minutes?”

“My dear Thomas, if I did not know better I could think you were chastising me for being late.”

“Not at all Mrs P.” Thomas often called her Mrs P. on informal occasions, and she did not discourage it as she regarded it as his pet name for her.

“Just teasing you Thomas, I’m not always the fussy old dame I might sometimes appear to be; especially when it’s just the two of us. The champagne will be fine, that is, if you will pour it for me”. He thought that she seemed to be in a good mood today and hoped that would make her a little more agreeable to his plan. He filled two older style champagne glasses, as Mrs Price subscribed to the school of thought that champagne should be served in coupe glasses instead of modern flutes as she believed the wide shape of the glass creates more surface area for the wine to be exposed to air and the Champagne is able to interact with more oxygen, allowing the flavours and aromas to develop.

As Thomas raised his glass he said “A toast to a beautiful lady and a wonderful employer.”

“Well thank you Thomas, you in turn are a wonderful assistant, the way you almost always anticipate my needs. Now, enough of this flattery, I want you to tell me what’s on your mind.”

“How did you know?”

“My dear Thomas, and I really mean that, you are dear to me; we have worked together for what, over ten years now, and in that time I have thought of you as being more than my assistant, I also think of you as the son I never had.”

“Mrs P, that is so sweet of you to say.”

“Don’t interrupt when I’m on a roll. Mothers always know when their sons need to talk and I am sure my instincts are telling me today that you have something that is important to you, that you need to discuss. Am I right?”

“Spot on Mrs P.”

“Carol is coming with our entree now, so as soon as she leaves, we can continue our discussion.”

Carol served the smoked salmon and offered to serve the condiments but Mrs Price said “We can manage that Carol, and would you please tell cook to leave the main for at least thirty minutes, we want to be left alone.”

Thomas added “Thank you Carol.”

“Now, my boy, tell me what is troubling you.”

“It’s not a troubling matter, but I do need you to fully understand my reasons. I want to move out of the house and take my own apartment.”

“Is there something here that’s making you uncomfortable?”

“No, not at all; and as you know I’ve not had a long term relationship since I’ve been here, but that may soon change.”

“Do you have a new boyfriend?”

“Yes I do, and I think I love him and he loves me.”

“That is wonderful, I’m so thrilled for you and in some ways I envy you young people who can find true love. But you don’t have to leave because of that. You have always been welcome to bring your boyfriends here, without question or judgement.”

“I know Mrs P, but this time it feels different. I believe this is real and that it will last. I don’t want anything to spoil it and people outside this house and the company can’t understand the lifestyle we lead here. We all know we are loved and respected within the Price family of employees, but outsiders don’t see that and find it difficult to accept. I’m sure you know how grateful I am to you and Mr Price, and how much I love working here, and that will not change. But I now need to separate my work life from my personal life. Am I making myself clear Mrs P.?”

“Yes, my boy you are and I’m glad you have explained it to me that way. I did not realise before, that life inside the house can be so stifling for some of the staff. You have awakened in me a sense that I must be more aware of the needs of my staff. While we try to supply all the material needs like salary, accommodation, holidays and other fringe benefits, I did not think of the emotional needs of people. Needs that neither I nor my husband can supply. What you are asking for is your freedom. Is that right?”

“I would not have put it that strongly, but I think we are on the same page.”

“Well I’m not going to stand in your way at all. I assume our professional relationship won’t change as a result of this.”

“Not one bit Mrs P.”

“Good, now that’s settled, pour me another glass and I will propose a toast to your new love and your new life.”

“Thank you, I’m so relieved we were able to work this out. I so much enjoy working here and don’t want that to change.”

“Neither do I, now what did you order for me?”

“One of your favourites that I know you love but would not order in a restaurant, chicken parma.”

“Mmm, Moet & Chandon Brut Imperial Champagne, smoked salmon and chicken parmigiana. One could be forgiven for thinking you were trying to soften me up for something.”

“Oh you can always see right through me.”

“Yes, but I wouldn’t let you know I can. Now tell me, what is the timing for this move and where are you going to.......”

***

After lunch Thomas returned to his office, checked a mapping website and determined that the northern suburb of Chatswood or thereabouts would be a good area to look for an apartment for he and Andy. It was about 30 minutes drive from his workplace at Castle Hill and about 30 minutes train ride to the City for Andy. He called a few letting agents in the area and gave them his details and preferences. He also checked some websites to get an idea of availability and rents. It all looked good, there seemed to be apartments available and the rent was doable for two of them. He did not select anything in particular as he wanted to wait until Andy was ready for the move and that depended on his planned talk with Price that night. Although he planned to definitely move himself, he wanted Andy to be involved in the selection process if they were going to flat together.

Thomas was pleased with how well the luncheon went and thrilled that his employer was so understanding and supportive. He breezed through the rest of the day, thought about a thank you gift for Mrs Price and determined that it was impossible to buy anything for a woman who has everything material. So his gift would have to be something less tangible. Nothing came to mind so he would leave the thought percolating in the back of his mind. He checked his personal daily to do list and ticked off:-

1. Preliminary research for apartment.

2. Speak to Mrs P,

3. Direct positive thoughts towards Andy.

He had only two items left in his list. One was to call Jared, which he would leave until later, as he was not sure about the protocol of calling during working hours. He was working for the army and he assumed they had strict rules about private phone calls. The other item was to draw a design of the jewellery he wanted Andy to make for Jared. He tried to do it on the computer but found he could not manoeuvre the curser accurately enough and resorted to pencil and paper. He drew a few different versions of what he had in mind. He was no artist or designer, but together with his notes he knew Andy could perfect the design for him. He scanned his drawings but decided not to send them to Andy today as he had enough to deal with.

Next Chapter - I didn’t think it would turn out that way.
Copyright © 2020 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter. So Thomas has gained his freedom and is just waiting on Andy to tell Mr P, then they will become flatmates.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..