Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 1,718 Words
  • 860 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Contains some graphic sex scenes.

Catering with Benefits (1) - 44. WAS IT A COLD DAY?

Jared was up early to get ready for work and by the time he showered the other two were in the kitchen preparing breakfast. Over breakfast they discussed the day’s arrangements. Firstly Andy wanted to go with Thomas, but Thomas thought that not a good idea now he had been removed from the Price house he thought it better to keep away. “If it’s ok with you Jared, I would prefer Andy stay here today”.

“Of course it’s ok. Make yourself at home Andy. I’ll give you a key, in case you want to go out and explore more of the local shops.”

“Thank you; on second thoughts I think you’re right Thomas. I should stay away from the house. Mr Price is bound to go there.”

“Now that’s settled, I have to be off so I get to work on time.” said Jared.

“I won’t be far behind you, once I shower.” replied Thomas.

***

All three had an uneventful day and were back together again just after 7.00 pm. Thomas had thought on the drive from Castle Hill that he would treat them all to dinner out at a local restaurant, but as Jared let him in Thomas could smell beautiful aromas coming from the kitchen. “What are you cooking?” Thomas asked Jared.

“I’m not cooking. When I arrived home Andy had dinner well underway. It seems he went shopping again today and is cooking up a feast for us.”

Thomas put his weekend bag in the bedroom and went to the living room where he saw a beautifully set dinner table for three.

“Isn’t he amazing.” said Jared “He is not only cooking dinner but managed to find all this stuff to set the table. I didn’t know I owned some of it.” Thomas flopped onto his favourite red sofa and while the other two talked and laughed in the kitchen, he thought how wonderful it was that a bad event had turned into this. He not only had a strengthening relationship with Jared and a loyal friend in Andy, but the three of them had now quickly formed a comfortable bond.

Over dinner Jared suggested some plans for the weekend. “Guys, I would like us all to go out tomorrow and shop for a bed and a few other items for the guest room. I’m really keen to get this done and I’d appreciate your help. Living in the army has not given me much experience at home decorating. I only know one colour, khaki. Andy looked at Jared, opened his mouth and took a breath, but before he could speak, Jared pre-empted what he was going to say and continued, “Andy this is something I want to do, I’m thankful that I’ve finally been jolted out of my inertia and besides I think it will be fun to do it together. I also have another motive. When we get what we need, how about a working bee to get curtains up and whatever else we need to do?”

“I’m in.” answered Thomas.

“Me too.” said Andy.

“Good, what an agreeable bunch we are. By the way, are either of you familiar with a drill or a screwdriver and other such things?”

“My dad showed me some stuff and I used to do a bit for mum before I left home.” said Andy.

“Great, you can be the team leader when we get to Bunnings. I don’t have many tools either.”

“I suppose that leaves me in charge of curtains?” mused Thomas.

“Oh good, I’m glad you volunteered.” replied Jared.

“Was that volunteering?”

“Good as.”

“I think we are going to make a dynamic trio.”

“What was your rank in the army?” asked Thomas

“Why?”

“Because you give orders like a Sergeant Major.”

“I was a sergeant, sorry, old habits and all that.”

Andy rose from the table and said, “I can give orders as well.” Both looked at Andy in mock shock, “Now, Steadman, you clear the dishes, and sergeant, you top up the glasses, while I get dessert.”

“Yes Sir!” they both replied snappily.

As Andy left the room, Thomas looked at Jared and said “Thank you for all this, it has really helped Andy forget his problems. I can’t believe how quickly he has made himself at home.”

“It’s good to see, I hope it continues. He really is a fun guy.”

Andy came from the kitchen and announced “Recruits, at attention while dessert is served.”

Jared and Thomas stood up and tried their best to maintain straight faces while Andy placed the Cannoli on the table, but totally lost it when he said “At ease men”.

***

The next morning was spent shopping for various items for the guest room. The curtains, blinds, bedside table and lamp all fitted in the back of the car. Then they went to get some tools and fixings, leaving the bed until last. When that was chosen, Jared asked for same day delivery. “I’m sorry sir we don’t do deliveries on Saturday.”

“Have you got the item in stock?”

“Yes it is in stock but as I said I can’t deliver it till early next week.”

“But I need it today.”

“Can you fit it on your car sir, or we can loan you a courtesy trailer.”

“Thanks but I don’t have a tow bar.”

“Maybe you have a friend with a ute.”

“Ah, what a brilliant idea; where is the nearest car rental centre?”

“Just a few kilometres down Parramatta road.”

“Good, we’ll be back soon. In the meantime can you get the bed and the mattress ready for pick-up?”

“Of course sir, our loading dock is around the back, just go to the end of the car park.”

“OK men follow me.” ordered Jared. In less than an hour they were all back at the furniture store with a hired ute, ropes and muscle to load the purchase.

By the end of the day the team had set up the guest room ready for Andy. While Jared and Thomas returned the hired vehicle, Andy installed blinds and curtains; and later they all added their own personal touches to decorating the room. At the end they all stood back to admire their work. Thomas said, “Looks very good but there is something missing.”

“What’s that?” asked Jared.

“The room needs some pictures on the wall.”

“How about an original oil painting?”

“That would be great but a bit expensive”

“Wait, I have something that may be suitable.”

Jared left the room and could be heard rattling around in his bedroom. Thomas and Andy just stared at each other, wondering what Jared was doing. He shortly returned with a flat parcel wrapped in brown paper.

“I had this painted a few years ago, by a colleague in the army who was hoping to pursue a career in the arts when he left the army. In my opinion he is very good but I’ve not had the place to hang it before, so this might just be the right place. Also I would be a bit embarrassed to hang it in the living room. Then Jared unveiled the painting for Thomas and Andy.

“Wow, that is great!” exclaimed Andy.

“Why would you be embarrassed?” asked Thomas “I’d hang it where everybody could see it.”

“Maybe, but it is not a painting of you, it’s me.”

“Precisely, I would love to have a painting of you.”

“Someday maybe, but for now I think we’ll hang it here.”

While Andy went to get his tools, Thomas said to Jared, “Your friend really is a good artist. He has captured every muscle and contour of your body. But I think he could have been a bit more generous with your manhood. Was it a cold day?”

“Oh very funny; the artist is supposed to capture the essence of their subject, not just the titillating bits for the likes of you.”

When Andy fixed the picture hook, Jared said, “Andy. you should have the honour of hanging the picture, as this will be your room for a while.”

“Thank you and I think it’s a wonderful likeness. Have you seen any other work by this artist?”

“Just a few landscapes he did while we were in the army together. This is the only portrait I’ve seen. Would you call this a portrait or a still life?”

Thomas could not resist “It’s left me wondering if there is ‘still life’ in it” he said holding up two fingers on each hand.

“Oh stop teasing him.” scolded Andy “I feel honoured that you chose to hang it in this room for me. It will be the last thing I see before I go to sleep each night.”

“Hey! hang on there, what do you mean by that?” asked Thomas.

“Don’t get so jealous, you will have the real thing.”

“Fair enough, I suppose.” Thomas conceded.

***

On Monday morning Jared left first. Thomas and Andy had a little chat before they left for work. Thomas asked Andy, “Are you sure you are ready to face this yet?”

“I have to some time. It’s not going to get any easier if I leave it longer. I’ve had such a wonderful weekend here with you guys that I now feel much more relaxed. I am, of course nervous about seeing old man Price.”

“Didn’t you say he told you not to speak to him?”

“Yes, but that doesn’t mean he won’t approach me. He might have more to say.”

“Possibly, but I don’t think he would want a confrontation in the office, and if he asks you to go to his office, just refuse.”

“I can’t do that, he is my boss.”

“Well, just be careful.”

“OK, now how do I get to work from here?”

“I can drive you, or Jared said you can get a bus just around the corner that will take you right into the city in less than thirty minutes.”

“Thanks, but I think I will get the bus. I have to do this on my own sometime.”

“OK, good luck and call me anytime if you need to talk. I will go home tonight and it will just be you and Jared here, so behave.”

“Showing your jealous streak again?”

“Be off with you.”

“Bye”

Next chapter - Escalates to a police investigation.
Copyright © 2020 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Awesome chapter. A nice fun weekend for Jared, Thomas and Andy. The guestroom is set up and Andy is all settled in.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Another delightful chapter, with yet again one of those amusing and clever chapter titles that you have a talent for Wombat Bill.

Another great one liner "Living in the army has not given me much experience at home decorating. I only know one colour, khaki.". I did not just laugh, but guffawed when I read this one. My feline companions raised their heads from resting and looked at me as if I had finally lost the plot completely,

The bond forming between the three is so natural and a joy to behold. 

 

 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..