Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 1,342 Words
  • 1,523 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Contains some graphic sex scenes.

Catering with Benefits (1) - 15. HIGH HEELS, SEQUINS AND BIG HAIR DON’T REALLY WORK ON RADIO

The ‘In the Mood’ project was eventually approved and rehearsals were planned to begin six months later. Tristan was appointed lead male dancer and could not be happier. He was keen to tell his friends of his latest dance role so he texted them to meet for drinks.

They all met at their favourite bar which was very busy on that night so they all crowded around a small table normally meant for two.

“Glad you could all come tonight, how is everybody?” asked Tristan, hoping to be able to open the conversation.

All acknowledged they were well and Raj asked “Where are Romel and Edward?”

“I know Romel is on night shift,” replied Craig, “I handed over to him before I left the ward, and Edward said he was working on his new radio project, but did not elaborate.”

“Does anyone know what he’s up to?” asked Tristan.

“Romel mentioned something about a radio program Edward was going to be involved in for Mardi Gras, but I don’t know any more than that.”

“I guess he’ll tell us in his own time, but what would he do on radio, it’s not a medium for a Drag Queen.” added Raj.

“Yeah, high heels, sequins and big hair don’t really work on radio” replied Craig.

“So has anybody else got any exciting news?” asked Tristan hoping for another opportunity.

Silence prevailed, so Tristan took his opportunity and picked up the conversation by announcing his casting in the new production.

“That’s great for you.” said Craig.

“So tell us what it’s about?” asked Justin.

“I’m so excited because I will be the lead male dancer and I also was the one to suggest the music style for the production. It is choreographed by my favourite, Dale Spender. I really like his style. We seem to have a real connection for the spirit of his work.”

“So is there a story to the ballet?” asked Raj.

“I like to think so. Dale’s original choreography was a series of separate pieces, but when we got the music for the ballet a story came to me.”

“So, you are the lead dancer, music creative and story writer as well. That must make you proud.”

“I guess it does, but I hadn’t thought of the production that way before.”

“You seem to have talents beyond just dancing.” offered Craig.

“Thank you all; yes now I do feel this is my project, but I wouldn’t dare say that to the producer Grant, we don’t always see eye to eye and he has previously referred to me as, just a dancer. I want this to be a harmonious production so I’ll just let him think he’s the only creative.”

“But you didn’t tell us what the story is.” said Justin.

“My take on it is this. A young man and woman have been childhood sweethearts since high school. They live in a small village, so the young man goes to the city to study art when he finishes school. The sweethearts make a promise to always keep in contact and to be lifelong lovers. But, at the city arts school he meets and falls in love with a fellow male student.”

“So is that the end of his relationship with the woman back in the village?”

“No, on the contrary, he is now in love with both equally.”

“That must complicate his life.”

“He doesn’t see it that way. To him it is perfectly normal to be in love with both. When in the city his lover is the man and when he returns to the village for holidays his lover is the woman.”

“So how do you interpret this in dance?”

“The music has a lot to do with it and the dance styles. For instance, in the city scenes with his male lover the music is upbeat and the dance steps stronger and very masculine. However, in the village we have softer slower music and the steps gentle and closer to classical ballet. There is a lot of contrast between the two locations and the two lovers, and of course the two never meet.”

“So does it have a happy ending?”

“You will have to come and see for yourself when the show opens.”

“That would be fabulous Tristan, can we go Craig?”

“Of course.”

“What is the ballet called, Tristan?” asked Justin.

“Dale originally called it In the Mood after an old Glenn Miller song, when we decided on the use of swing music but that was just meant to be a working title. Then when I put forward the story line it was perfect for that also.

“Yes, I get it.” said Raj, he is in one mood, when with his male lover and in another mood when with his female lover.”

“Exactly, so the title stays for the production. Now I want to talk to the set designer. I have some great ideas for that also.”

“You are practically a one man band Tristan.”

“Yeah, that’s the nice way of putting it. Grant calls me Terrible Tristan, the Delusional Dancer.”

“That’s unkind, you’d think he would be grateful for the suggestions.”

“Not in dance companies because artistic differences are always at risk of boiling over. I try to play it softly softly, but I suppose I do come across as pushy, sometimes.”

“Well, as long as it helps the production, that must be good.” concluded Justin.

 

They ordered another round of drinks, then Justin asked “Tristan, how long have you been dancing?”

“I started classical ballet as a youngster, just attending one class per week. When my teacher noticed that I had a talent for it she had Mum bring me to more lessons per week. I loved it and continued to improve & moved up in the rankings. We attended local, state and eventually national competitions.”

“So you did well at all these competitions?”

“Yes, though I say so myself.”

“Were there boy and girl classes or were you the only boy in your ballet class?”

“It was a mixed class at lower level and at first I was the only boy. Then there was another boy joined in second year and slowly a few more as it became more acceptable for boys to dance ballet.”

“Did that make you feel more comfortable with more boys in the classes?”

“I suppose it did, but it did not really bother me before they joined. Dancing made me feel alive and I guess I like to show off a bit. Dance can allow you to do that, but it’s still a lot of hard work with practice, exercises and rehearsals.”

“So how did you become a member of the dance company?”

“Well, when I was in year ten at school my ballet teacher said if I wanted to continue dancing as a profession I needed to get into a good ballet school. She put me up for the entry exams for The Sydney Dance Academy.”

“So that was when you learned contemporary dance?”

“Not immediately. The dance academy is a high school as well as teaching dance. This meant I could do my HSC at the same time as learning to be a professional dancer. The academy teaches all forms of dance. In fact we were required to learn all forms in the first two years and then we could specialise after that. But classical is the basis of all dance forms so that is where most dancers start. In your last year at the academy the talent scouts from different ballet and dance companies keep their eyes on you and you can make application to them. Then they make offers in the last months of year 12. In fact some of our teachers were actually scouts for them. I applied to Sydney Dance Company and was lucky enough to get an offer from them. That’s where I’ve danced since. I’ve been with them about five years now”

“Well I’m really looking forward to seeing you dance Tristan. I’m so excited.” said Justin.

Next chapter we will all have a big night out at Drag City.
Copyright © 2020 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter. Tristan was excited to tell his friends about getting the lead in the new ballet. Edward is busy preparing for the radio show.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I took ballet, tap, and jazz lessons when I was in high school at 15 but they said they stopped teaching it to 16 years old at the dance class so I stopped. I had fun though for that year!

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Sounds like Tristan will have a future after dancing.  I can't imagine that professional dancers have a terribly long career.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..