Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 2,221 Words
  • 1,989 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Contains some graphic sex scenes.

Catering with Benefits (1) - 18. CHRISTMAS

Edward and Romel were invited to the radio station end of year party where Edward was surprised to get compliments on his work for the program. It seems the management committee had already heard the program and all were full of praise for Edward’s work. When Romel went to get some drinks, Edward was approached by a young man who introduced himself, “Hello Edward I’m Scott, the Chair of the committee.”

“Pleased to meet you Scott, this is a great party you have going here.”

“Thank you Edward, but it’s really the volunteers who do all the work, not only for the party but running the station every day.”

“Yes, I have done a bit myself.”

“I know and that’s what I want to talk to you about. It is expected that your interviews for the Mardi Gras program are going to be a hit when the program airs. Now, I not only like to acknowledge talent when I see it but also to encourage it. We are always looking for new talent and ideas for the station.”

“So how can I help the station Scott?”

“I have already run this by our committee after we listened to your program, and they’re all on board. As you know, as a listener to 2GAY that we have concentrated on music and a bit of chat to fill air time. But we, the committee, believe it’s time for a new venture and a more serious program than what we usually air.”

“Involving me?”

“Of course we want you. I want Charles to be the producer for this one also, but I want to run it by you first to see how you feel.” Just then Romel returned with the drinks.

“Scott this is my partner Romel. Romel, Scott is the Chair of the station committee.” They each nodded, “...and Scott wants me to do another program for the station.”

“Already,” exclaimed Romel, “We haven’t heard your first one yet.”

“Oh we’ve all heard it at the station and we like it so much we want Edward to do a regular program each week on the station.”

“Each week!” exclaimed Edward. “There aren’t that many interesting drag queens in Sydney.”

“Not necessarily drag queens but yes, we want you to do a weekly interview program of various people with a story to tell. It won’t be a chat show but an in depth interview.”

“That’s sounds very exciting.”

“That will do for now. I’ll have Charles contact you soon and you two can put together a proposal for the committee to consider. Does that sound good for you Edward?”

“Excellent sweetie, can’t wait.”

“OK, talk to you later, and good to meet you Romel.”

“Same here, Scott.” As Scott left Romel enthused, “You’re going to be a radio star, my love.”

“Hardly a star, little old me, but it is flattering to be asked. Now who am I going to interview?”

“You can start with your friends and also ask them who they know of, that may have an interesting story to tell.”

“Oh it does sound exciting, but I’m already getting nervous. What if I can’t find someone every week?”

“Oh don’t worry about that yet. I’m sure the people at the station have lots of contacts.”

“You’re probably right. Silly me, I get a flattering offer and already I’m worrying about it.”

“Let’s have get another drink to celebrate.”

“Fabulous idea sweetie.”

At the bar they ran into Max and Charles who were serving hot food, they had prepared themselves. “Hello Edward.” said Charles “Who’s this toy boy you have escorting you tonight?”

“Oh just a young stud I got from the agency. What do you think of him?” Romel looked a bit confused but said nothing.

“Very handsome indeed. He looks so sexy in that vest with no shirt. A little male cleavage and bare midriff shows off his body beautifully. He must have cost you a pretty penny.”

“He doesn’t come cheap, had to give him half a house.”

“For a one night stand.”

“No, a one life stand. This is Romel my partner.”

“Oh my god!” exclaimed Max “Charles that is so insensitive of you.”

“It’s ok Max, I think Charles knows very well who Romel is, even though they have not met before.” replied Edward.

“You old bastard Charles, you were flirting with Edward’s partner. I may have to give you a good spanking tonight.”

Romel spoke for the first time “Good to meet you gentlemen, Edward speaks highly of you both, but I don’t need to know anymore about your threat Max. That’s should be just between the two of you.”

“Relax my love.” Edward said to Romel “These two are great jokers. Right Charles?”

“Well, if Max feels a spanking is necessary, I don’t know if I should refuse.”

Max reached out to Romel with his hand “Good to meet you Romel and take notice of us silly old buggers. We’re just having a bit of fun. I’m sorry if it was at your expense.”

“No problem Max, I understand.”

“But Charles was right about one thing, you do look hot. Is that what they say these days?”

“Yes and thank you Max.”

“Good, now how about some of these noodles, I prepared myself.”

“Love some, thanks Max.”

***

In mid-December Edward and Romel arranged a dinner for the group at their place. The invitation called it an early Christmas dinner because it was assumed that most of the group would be attending family events closer to Christmas. The plan was to exchange small gifts, anonymously. Edward placed the name of each member of the group in separate envelopes, along with the invitation, sealed them then Romel addressed the envelopes and posted them. Everyone attended and was pleased to do so.

Generally the gift giving tradition of the group was to give a small useful item or something humorous. They always had fun shopping for the gifts and there was a competition to outdo each other in the humour department. Sometimes the gifts were appropriate or inappropriate, as the joke demanded, to the receiver’s interests. This year the gifts exchanged were mostly humorous T shirts and sex toys. After exchanging gifts Justin asked what other gifts they had given each other over the years. Craig was first to reply and then Justin fully understood why Craig’s bookshelf was sporting a bedpan. It seems that on the first Christmas after his graduation from nursing college, Romel had given him the bedpan.

When the subject of Christmas was raised it started a robust discussion about Christian beliefs. Edward and Romel had differing views. Romel was Philippine born and Catholic by default. While he did not practice his religion strictly since migrating to Australia he did attend special church ceremonies such as Easter and Christmas. Edward had no religious convictions. But, as partners they worked around this by simply letting each other have their own beliefs and practices. Romel often returned to The Philippines with his parents at Christmas, to observe the holy days with their extended family in Manila. Edward did not accompany him on these occasions.

Raj’s family was of the Hindu faith that does not celebrate Christmas, but since coming to Australia they had nominally celebrated Christmas by having friends and family around for lunch on Christmas day.

Tristan suggested that for those members of the gay community who do not celebrate Christmas and even some that do, the month of February is really the month to celebrate and some even call Mardi Gras, the Gay Christmas. However, Edward rejected this comparison saying it stands alone and does not need comparisons to religious based traditions, especially as most religions reject the concept of same-sex relationships.

Justin and Craig both admitted to being in this category but not just because they are gay. Justin was raised as a Catholic but as an adult could see no reason to support or belong to an organisation with so much of its own dirty laundry to clean up first, before making judgement on others. He believed that his father’s Catholicism had made him a violent and bigoted man not even capable of keeping his own family together.

Justin said his aunt definitely did not celebrate or believe in Christmas any more than she believed in Santa Claus. She was a self-confessed atheist and her partner was the same. Consequently they raised their sons accordingly, although they believed the boys had the right to make their own choices as adults. After Justin went to live with them there were no more Christmas celebrations in his life.

Craig was raised in a family with no particular religious affiliation but his father called their beliefs “Christian Style”. That is to be kind to others and honest in all that you do. His father often said that this belief was not exclusive to Christians but represented common practice in Australia. Craig was of a similar view but would never use the expression “Christian Style”. He did not believe that being compassionate and caring needed a title. However, the family did celebrate some Christmas traditions but, outside the church, because his parents believed it brought families together. Craig believed it was just good fun.

Romel was so excited on behalf of his partner he was dying to tell the group about Edward’s latest adventure. “Now have you all heard about our new radio star here.” asked Romel.

“Well I did hear that Edward has recorded a program about drag queens to be broadcast during Mardi Gras.” replied Craig.

“Yes, and as well as that they now want to give him his own weekly program.”

“That sounds really exciting Edward, tell us about it.”

Suddenly, Edward who was always quick with the one liners or bringing someone down with his vicious tongue, was contrite and almost shy about his new found fame.

“Loves, it’s early days yet in regard to the new program, but I can tell you the station management really liked the Mardi Gras program and expect it to be well received when it’s broadcast in February.”

“But what about the new show that Romel mentioned, what can you tell us about that?” asked Justin.

“I don’t want to say much about it yet. We still need the formal approval of the management committee to our proposal. Charles and I are working on the proposal now, so I can’t tell you much more, except to say that, perhaps disappointingly, it won’t be about me, but the people I interview. I am going to have to show a different side of myself, take a back seat and let the interviewees be the stars.”

***

The next morning Justin asked Craig what he would be doing on Christmas Day. Craig always attended Christmas lunch with his family and thought this year he would use the occasion to introduce Justin to the family. But after hearing how Justin felt about Christmas he was hesitant. So he told Justin he did plan to attend his family’s dinner and then tentatively invited him. To his surprise Justin accepted the invitation. He even asked what he should bring. Since he started working Craig had provided the wine & beer on Christmas day and suggested they could share that responsibility this year. Justin thought that was an excellent idea.

As Christmas approached, Craig encouraged Justin to join in the celebration, not as a religious celebration but as a family bonding opportunity. Justin was not only happy to do this but became excited about the day as he was looking forward to meeting Craig’s parents, because from what he had heard from Craig they seemed like the family he wished he had. He even asked Craig about gift giving. Justin was not happy with Craig’s suggestion that his name should be added to the card accompanying Craig’s gift for his parents, so they agreed Justin could take his own and they would shop together for all gifts.

Craig was telling Justin that around Christmas and New Year period hospitals do not schedule elective surgery and doctors like to have time off so hospitals try to reduce nursing staff over this period. He was planning to make the most of this opportunity by taking a week’s leave and asked Justin where they should go to maximise their free time. It was decided that they could take a short road trip and just go where the highway lead them.

A few days later Justin called Craig excitedly to ask if he would like to meet his family, that is, his aunts and cousins while on their road trip. Most years they rented a holiday house at Forster on the north coast for two weeks of the summer school holidays. This year they were planning to do the same. During his school years Justin had accompanied them, but had not done so since leaving school as it gave him the opportunity to have the Sydney house to himself for two weeks. This year could have been the same but as Craig was going to introduce Justin to his parents on Christmas Day, Justin was keen to have Craig meet his family. So it was decided that they would head north after Christmas and spend a few days with the family at Forster.

Next chapter - Craig and Justin head north.
Copyright © 2020 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Awesome chapter. So Edward is gonna be a radio star. Great to see Max and Charles again. I loved the discussion about different religion and how they celebrate Christmas.

Looking forward to Craig and Justin's Road trip and the meeting of each others family.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

This "family of men" is coming together beautifully. Christmas is a time when such families are invariably needed the most, with many "family" members separated from their birth families for one reason or another.

A trip to Forster should be a joyous occasion for the boys. I have visited the town many times myself, having lived most of my youth in a nearby town.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment

I have to admit I don't know much about Australia, but I often enjoy stories from authors who live there.

I see a lot of potential and possible directions for the story to go from here.  Well done, Wombat Bill.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Many of us Philisteens Yanks forget that Christmas in Australia is in the middle of the warmest (and often the dryest) days of the year so with school holidays then as well, it is an excelent time to go to the beach. I would guess that when children return to the classroom near the first of the year, that there are a number of sunburned butts. At least the kids are not forced into their school uniforms just after Christmas.

Mister Will

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..