Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 1,583 Words
  • 891 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Contains graphic sexual scenes.

Catering with Benefits (2) - Second Course - 22. WOULD YOU LIKE A CUP OF TEA?

p style="text-align:center;"> 2947938a6e0ef0dae9a2fe4bc8152b06.jpg

A few days later Justin was home on his own while Craig was out at suppliers sourcing specialties for the auction catering. Justin had spoken to a few of the bachelors he had recruited but was otherwise just having a lazy morning and had not bothered to dress. He was just getting around the house free-balling, when he heard a knock at the back door. He knew instantly who it was. Craig’s grandmother was the only person who came to the back door. He called out “Coming” while he ran to the bedroom to get dressed. He heard a second knock as he stumbled to the door while pulling on a pair of trackies and a T shirt. He opened the door and said “Good morning Mrs. Simpson, but Craig’s not here now, he’s out shopping.”

“That’s ok son, it’s you I want to talk to.” Justin immediately went cold, as if his blood had stopped circulating. All he could think of saying was “Would you like a cup of tea?”

“That would be lovely Justin. While you pop the kettle on I’ll just toddle into the lounge room and put my feet up, I’ve been on them all morning.” While he prepared the tea he was rapidly running through his mind trying to work out what he had done wrong. Then he remembered the china tea cups Mrs. Simpson had passed on to Craig when she moved into the garden flat. He found them put two out on a tray with milk and sugar and took it to the living room. As he placed the tray on the table Craig’s grandmother said “Now what I want to talk to you about......”

“Please excuse me Mrs. Simpson,” Justin said as he heard the kettle ping to indicate it was boiled and he thought it would delay his chastisement a bit longer if he attended to the kettle’s call. When he returned he placed the tea pot on the tray with the other items and looked at the old lady, ready to take his punishment. “Sorry about that.”

“That’s OK my boy, a boiling kettle waits for no one. Now, as is obvious, I’m not getting any younger and don’t go out much these days. Apart from family occasions it really amounts to getting the groceries and doctor’s appointments.” Justin had no idea where this was going but continued to listen intently. “So I was thinking there is a perfectly good car sitting in the garage that does not get much use, so I want you to have it.”

Justin started to breathe again. “That’s very generous of you Mrs. Simpson.”

“I may still want to use it occasionally, but I want you to feel free to use it when you need it. If I need it I will let you know a few days before. I don’t do anything spontaneously these days.”

“Thank you so much, as long as you are sure about this.”

“Certainly young man, it would make this old lady very happy.” They exchanged smiles.

“Now that’s settled, let’s have that cuppa”. Justin poured the tea while she continued to talk.

“You know I love you Justin, and while I don’t fully understand this gay thing, what is important is that I know you make Craig happy. That matters very much to me.”

“Craig makes me very happy too and I do love him, you know.”

“I am sure you do my boy. I hope you two have long and happy lives together as I did with Craig’s grandfather. Although we had a good life, I feel I was short-changed at the end.”

“What do you mean Mrs. Simpson?”

“Well, as you know Nigel had a serious form of cancer and it was always going to kill him, but just before he died the doctors told me he had two to three weeks. I was going to use that time to say my goodbye and maybe even be with him at the end. I was even hoping for four weeks. You know if we had, it would have been our fiftieth wedding anniversary”. She paused and breathed deeply to hold back the tears before continuing. “So you see my boy, his sudden death left things unfinished.”

“I see what you mean Mrs. Simpson. I also was surprised by his sudden death as only a few days before Craig had said the same as you about him having two or three weeks. You know I did go to see him on his last day but he was sleeping so I didn’t disturb him.”

“That’s sweet of you Justin, but unfortunately Craig did not get to see him that day.”

“Oh I thought he did, maybe I was mistaken.”

She brightened up a bit and said “Now about this Mrs. Simpson thing.”

“Yes” he replied questioningly.

“I would like you to call me Gran, would you do that for me boy?”

“Yes of course.....Gran.”

“Do you think there’s a second cup in that pot?”

“I’ll top it up Mrs. Sss...er... Gran.”

“That’s better.”

***

When Craig returned home Justin told him all about his morning tea. “You know she told me to call her Gran from now on.”

“Well done, it seems you have really won her over. She’s taken you on as a grandson and given you her car. I’m so happy you two now have a relationship of your own.”

“...and she told me she loved me.” Justin said proudly.

***

The next day Justin called his mum to tell her about Craig’s Gran giving him her car. “...and she also asked me to call her Gran. Do you think that’s alright?”

“Of course, if that’s what she wants. It’s an honour and shows how much she has accepted you into the family.”

“I hoped you would see it that way Mum.”

“I am pleased for you Justin. You really have found your way into a loving family.”

“Thanks Mum.”

“I’m just sorry that your own family is not all so loving.”

“Now, don’t say that Mum, I know you love me and Aunt Julia and Hannah love me, as well as the boys. “It’s not your fault Dad is such an arsehole.”

“I don’t like you saying that, but I know what you mean.”

Just then Jessica heard her husband’s truck pull into the driveway and said to Justin, “My boy thanks for the call and the good news, but I have to go now, your father’s just arrived home and I don’t want him to catch me talking to you.”

“Bye Mum, I love you.”

“Love you too Justin.”

***

Edward was keen to have the apology dinner party that Romel had suggested so that he could clear the air with the friends he had hurt with his accusations. However, finding a Friday or Saturday night when Craig, Justin, Tristan and Romel were not working was difficult, so it was not till about a month after they originally planned the dinner that they found a suitable date. Romel sent a brief text to all the friends and then followed up a few days later with a call to each of them, to explain the reason for the dinner. Edward kept out of the invites as he did not want to have any confrontations until he had a chance to apologise. He also thought that if the invitation was accepted then his apology would be accepted.

When Romel called Justin he was most excited as he had just had good news.

“She is a really kind lady, she just gave me her car to use anytime I like.”

“Well you are the lucky one.”

“Yes, and she told me to call her Gran, that’s what Craig has always called her”.

“Wow, you really are part of the family now. I’m so pleased for you Justin”

“Thanks Romel, by falling in love with Craig I’ve fallen into a very loving family. I didn’t realise until this last year, just how supportive and loving families can be”.

“That’s great.’ said Romel, seizing the opportunity to get a word in. “Now the reason for my call is to follow up on my text of a few days back. I want to ensure you two are available and to explain the reason for the dinner.”

“Yes, Craig and I have discussed it, we’re not working so we will be there. I might drive over in my own car”.

“Good, now the reason for the dinner is to give Edward a chance to apologise and to make up to everybody in some way. Are you two cool with that”.

“Sure, I didn’t feel too bothered by what he said about me. After all it was the truth. But Craig has taken a bit more convincing to forgive and forget. He says he doesn’t really know what Edward was saying so he reckons he just made it up so he could have something nasty to say. That being the case, he is willing to forget about it”.

“Excellent and Edward doesn’t want you to bring anything for the dinner, not even wine, he wants to provide everything as a way of saying sorry”

“OK with me”

“I must go now, so I can phone around the others”

“Bye Romel”

 

Raj and Tristan were also on board for the apology dinner and both said they were looking forward to having the old gang back together again after so long.

Next chapter - How to use a rubber band.
Copyright © 2021 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well "Hitch" the only possible "red herring" I could find in this chapter was: 

“That’s sweet of you Justin, but unfortunately Craig did not get to see him that day.” 

“Oh I thought he did, maybe I was mistaken.”

A delightful chapter with "Gran" once again demonstrating why Craig thinks so highly of her. Her honesty is refreshing, her generosity seemingly boundless, and her joie de vivre infectious. Justin's appreciation of what he has found in Craig's family demonstrates he is as beautiful on the inside as he is on the outside. He is, I think, my favourite character in this story, certainly a character who has experienced significant growth from his somewhat humble and naive beginnings.

@Wombat Billthe image for this chapter matches the title perfectly. It represents the essence of this chapter, the joy experienced by Justin from something as simple as "having a cuppa with Gran". For a lad who has not experienced much in the way of familial love, the joy of acceptance and love from Craig's beloved "Gran" is a simple pleasure most heartfelt.

 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Once again a very sweet chapter though while I believe Edward’s desire to apologize is sincere with things like Romel talking in his sleep I’m not sure if he has it in him to leave the topic of Craig and his grandfather alone for long not that I blame him if it’s something that’s weighing on Romel’s mind. Hopefully things will go well and that rubber band isn’t too tight. 👀 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

@Summerabbacat, you say red herring, I wonder, is it? Glad you like the image and that Justin is your favourite. 

@chris191070,  Yes happy Grans are good for any family. On the other hand grump grans can be very destructive. 

@NimirRaj, Don't judge Edward too harshly. Until the dinner outburst, he had been the model of discretion. Give him a chance to revert to that. 

@ReaderPaul , you've probably tried it yourself. Let me know when your read the chapter.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..