Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 3,570 Words
  • 1,716 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Contains graphic sexual scenes.

Catering with Benefits (2) - Second Course - 24. I Think This Qualifies as a Crisis

p style="text-align:center;"> 9f728700d2d7452844dd0a534c8825cd.jpg 

Brendan came in and headed straight for the bathroom. When Jessica called out to him he replied “Hi Honey, just need to clean up a bit.” Jessica was almost stunned that he had called her honey as he had not referred to her in a loving way for many years. She went into the bathroom and found him washing his hands and arms. They were cut, bruised and bloody. He also had blood splashed on his overalls.

“What happened to you? Let me help clean you up.”

“Oh it’s nothing much.”

“Here let me wash those scratches with Dettol so they don’t get infected. Don’t want you on the sick list.”

While she bathed her husband’s wounds he explained to her how he got injured.

“I was called to an old house over Annandale way with very old rusty plumbing. They wanted most of it replaced. While I was trying to loosen a rusted on tap with a long wrench, the rust suddenly gave way and I crushed my hands against the brick wall. Made a fucking mess of myself, didn’t I?”

“Well, it doesn’t look like any permanent damage so I’ll get you cleaned up and then you can have a cold beer while I cook dinner.”

“Thanks Jess, I’d love that.”

“You’re in quite a chipper mood tonight.”

“Well can’t a man just come home happy?”

“Of course, I like to see you happy Brendan. Just leave your overalls in the laundry.”

Jessica was somewhat surprised by her husband’s sudden affection but thought not to question it, just enjoy it while it lasted. While she prepared dinner, and Brendan put his feet up with a cold beer, she went over recent events in her mind, but could not think of anything in particular that would account for Brendan’s sudden change of attitude. Sure, they had not had a fight for many months, but that was mainly due to her efforts to avoid upsetting him in any way and the fact that they spoke very little to each other anyway. ‘Maybe he has changed,’ she said to herself, ‘Maybe all my hard work has finally paid off and we can be happy again’. That night Brendan even gave her a cuddle and a kiss goodnight as they got into bed.

As she drifted off to sleep Jessica thought how wonderful it felt that her world had finally changed for the better. Her son was happy, in a steady relationship with his partner and was totally accepted by that family. He also had regular work and he and Craig even had their own successful business. Now to top off a perfectly good day her husband seemed to love her again. She cuddled up close to Brendan.

The next day Jessica called Justin from work. She wanted to share her good news about his father, but had to leave a message on his voicemail. Justin got the message and was thrilled for his mother, that his father had seemed to turn over a new leaf, but secretly doubted it would last. He did not call her back immediately as they were very busy all week and they did nothing but work and sleep. Business was booming and some weeks they had very little time for contact with their family and friends or to keep up with news.

On their first day off after a very busy week, Craig went to visit his parents and Justin stayed home to just relax and called his mother on her lunch break at work. “Hi Mum, I got your message. Sorry I couldn’t call back sooner, we have just been so busy this week but I am pleased with your good news. For your sake I hope it lasts.”

“Oh don’t be a doubting Thomas I have a good feeling about this Justin.”

“Why do you think he has changed so suddenly?”

“For one thing, he has not been drinking so much and when he came home a bit injured a few days ago he actually let me attend to his wounds.”

“What sort in injury?”

“Oh nothing serious, just scratches from a plumbing slip up, but it was so nice attending to him and he accepting it in the spirit it was intended.”

“Well that‘s great.”

“Yes, I think I’ve got back the man I married. Oh there goes the school bell. I had better get back on duty now. Bye Justin, love you.”

“Love you too Mum and bye for now.”

That afternoon while Justin was waiting for Craig to come home he opened a bottle of wine in anticipation of Craig’s arrival and sat down with a glass in front of the TV and turned on ABC News 24. While watching the headlines on the bottom of the screen he saw one that said “Body found beaten to death in toilet of a shopping mall car park.” It did not pique his interest until the report came up in the main news. The newsreader reported that the police had not yet released the name of the deceased who it was believed had been dead for at least two days. However they had released some CCTV footage from the car park cameras and were appealing to the public for assistance in identifying a person of interest seen running from the toilets on the day that they believed the bashing took place. The body had not been found for two days as it was locked in one of the cubicles. Justin was alarmed by what he saw and decided to call his mother to see if she had also seen it. She had not been watching because she was still at work, but as she had just finished her last class for the day she decided, on Justin’s suggestion, to turn on the TV in the staff room and promised to call him when it was repeated.

As he hung up he topped up his glass and waited. About five minutes later he heard Craig pull into the driveway, but did not come into the house. Justin assumed he had gone down to see his Gran and confirmed this by going to the kitchen window where he saw Craig enter his Gran’s flat. ‘Probably family business’ he thought and returned to his TV watching to see if there were any further developments reported.

Jessica called Justin back about 30 minutes later, just after Justin saw the news item again, and the CCTV footage repeated. She said “I can see why you wanted me to watch that.”

“What should we do mum?”

“I don’t know. At first I thought I may be mistaken about the identity because the pictures are a bit fuzzy, but if you are thinking the same as me then we may be right. It certainly looks like him, and I recognise the clothes, they’re still in the laundry.”

Their conversation was interrupted by a beep on his phone indicating another incoming call.

“Can you just hold for a sec Mum, while I get rid of this other call? Hello this is Justin.”

“It’s Craig, I’m at Gran’s and she has invited us to have dinner with her tomorrow night.”

“Can I call you back I’m talking to my mum?”

“OK, my love no problem.”

“Where were we Mum?”

“I was saying that I think it looks like him.”

“I agree mum, but as much as I hate him, I still don’t know if I should call the police. I’m concerned about how you will cope with it and how you might become involved.”

“Let’s just think about it for a while.”

“Do you really think he is capable killing someone Mum?”

“Maybe he was running from the toilet because he discovered the body.”

“Was that the day he came home injured and bloody?”

“I think so, Justin.”

“Mum, I don’t think you should return to the house. Do you think he is there now?”

“I don’t know, he does not usually get home until after me or he could be at the pub.”

“Mum, go home immediately. If his truck is in the driveway just leave and come over here. If he is not home pack a few things quickly and come over here, because even if we don’t tell the police somebody else is bound to recognise him and do the job for us. I don’t want you there if the police go to arrest him.”

“But if they do arrest him, could I be held responsible for not notifying them of his identity.”

“I doubt it, but that’s not important now, I just want you to be safe.”

“OK, Justin I’ll come over.”

“Do you want me to pick you up?”

“No, that’s OK I can drive myself.”

“OK I’ll be waiting, be quick. I love you mum.”

“I love you too Justin, see you soon.”

Craig came up from his Gran’s flat just after Justin finished talking to his mother. As soon as he heard Craig open the storeroom door, he panicked. He thought, ‘what am I going to tell Craig, how will he react, should I have asked him first before inviting my mum over’. A thousand questions were going through his mind while Craig was unloading supplies into the storage at the back of the garage. He took a large gulp of wine and prepared to face Craig. He could not avoid telling him, as his mum would be in here in about an hour and it would be obvious she was not just there for a visit.

Craig walked in the door with a six pack of beer and a couple of bottles of wine. He put them on the bench top in the kitchen and called out “Are there any sexy men here, who are willing to take me to bed?” Justin did not answer, but as Craig walked into the lounge Justin rushed into his open arms and started sobbing. “What’s all this?” said Craig “You can’t have missed me that much.”

Justin was blabbering almost unintelligibly “Oh Craig something horrible has happened, at least I think it’s happened, my mum’s coming over, I didn’t ask you first, I don’t know what to do, it’s all a great mess.”

“Hey back up, what’s so horrible about your mother coming over, I love your mother.”

“It’s not that, it’s, it’s, it’s .........”

By now Craig was becoming concerned, “Mate, sit down, start breathing and tell me slowly.”

Justin explained about the CCTV footage and his phone call with his mother and a bit about his dad’s violent history. This shocked Craig of course, but he soon recovered as he felt one of them had to maintain some semblance of calm to cope with the situation.

Craig finally said “Well, first things first, we have to prepare for your mum’s arrival and both of us must try to be calm when she arrives.”

“But I should have asked you first.”

“Nonsense, this is your home and your mum is my family too. When she gets here we will all discuss it and decide what is best for her, and you.”

Craig prepared food that could just be heated when needed while he kept an eye on the TV in the kitchen. They then each sat down with a glass of wine to wait for Justin’s mother. “Oh, by the way what does your mum like to drink? I am sure she will need to steady her nerves when she arrives.”

“Well, she normally drinks white wine, but I have known her to down a brandy or two in a crisis.”

“OK, I think this qualifies as a crisis, there’s a bottle of brandy in the store room.”

When Jessica arrived the boys each greeted her with a firm hug and while Justin ushered her into the house Craig locked her car and took her bags into the house. Craig poured her a large brandy and they all sat down to talk.

Jessica said to Craig, “Thank you for letting me come here.”

“There is no need for thanks, family are always welcome here and we will both support you through this crisis.”

“Justin is so lucky to have such a loving partner as you.” Then Craig, always practical, got straight down to business. “Mrs. Haynes, do you two need some time alone to discuss this.”

“Firstly, please call me Jessica and I would like you to be in the discussion as well, if you are willing.”

“Certainly.... Jessica.”

“Mum, have you thought about this on your drive.”

“Yes, I have Justin, but I am still conflicted about what to do. It’s pretty clear that is your father in the TV footage, but as to whether or not he is a murderer, I don’t want to speculate.”

“He has been so loving this last week, I don’t think he could; but thinking back over the years, maybe yes, oh I don’t know. You know he has a short fuse and is capable of violence. If provoked enough who knows what he could do, especially if he has been drinking. But why would he kill a total stranger in a toilet? It doesn’t make sense.”

“Well, mum, the police are not saying he is a suspect just that they want to talk to him about it.”

“I know that son, so what do you think?”

“Mum, I really think we should talk to the police, they are the experts and will get to the truth. Whether or not we tell them, they will find out who he is eventually.”

Craig added “You’re right Justin they will find him, so the sooner he is off the streets then the safer you and your mum will be.”

“Do you want me to make the call Mum?”

“No, I think I should do it, after all I am the one who has covered for him all these years, if I had spoken up before, maybe it would not have come to this. Maybe he could have been rehabilitated and even become a good father to you.”

Jessica Haynes made the call. Told the police who she was and when asked, assured them she was safe at present. She was told they would have to interview her and asked where she was. Not wanting to implicate the Simpson family she said she did not want a police car turning up in her son’s partner’s driveway. They assured her that as this was a murder investigation it had already been handed over to detectives and an unmarked car would be used. Jessica relayed all this to the boys after she hung up and it was then that Craig remembered his Gran in the garden flat.

“Justin, we are going to have to tell Gran in case she comes up to visit or wonders who is here if she notices strange cars parked in the driveway.” warned Craig.

“OK, you go and tell her, and mum and I will wait here for the police.”

“I will call mum and dad from Gran’s flat so they can hear it from me and not from Gran.”

“I am so sorry, this is going to cause so much trouble for your family Craig.” said Jessica.

“Jessica, that’s what families do, support each other no matter what. You are part of our family now, so get used to being force fed, drowned in tea and probably hugged till you are gasping for breath.”

“Thank you Craig, you are wonderful to me and Justin.”

Craig set off to Gran’s while Justin and his mum prepared for their interview by putting away the alcohol and putting on the kettle.

By the time the police arrived, they had already been advised of the identity of the ‘Person of Interest’ by a few other callers. It seems many were prepared to see this man get some just desserts, because he had rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way over the years. They questioned Jessica and Justin about when they had each last seen Brendan and if they had any idea why he would attack the man.

Justin said. “We do not know the identity of the deceased as that had not been on the TV news.”

Detective Dan Urban replied, “Just excuse me for a moment.” and went out to the hall to make a phone call. When he returned he told them, “Brendan Haynes has been arrested at his home and the identity of the deceased has now been released and I am able to tell you he was known as Sam Hiscock.” Both Justin and his mother gasped at this announcement and the detective asked “Do either of you know him?”

Jessica replied first, “Yes, he used to work at my son’s school.”

“Yes that’s right sir, I remember him too.” said Justin.

“So, is that how Brendan Haynes knew him also?”

“I guess so, detective.” replied Jessica.

“What do you mean, you guess so?”

“Well, yes he would have met him there, my husband used to do some plumbing work at the school and it’s usually the maintenance man’s job call contractors.”

“So, back to my earlier question, do you have any idea why Brendan Haynes would attack Sam Hiscock?”

Justin looked at his mum and said “Mum, we better tell him what happened.”

“I agree.” said Detective Urban “You had better tell me all you know.” Between the two of them they told the detective what had happened at the school and how the school had handled it to avoid any repercussions for the school.

Detective Urban looked Jessica straight in the eye and said firmly “You do know that you have concealed a crime, albeit to protect your son, but sex with an underage child is a crime. However, with regard to what has been revealed in the recent Royal Commission into institutional child abuse, particularly the thousands of abuses that were covered up by institutions, I won’t be taking any further action in that regard while I am investigating this killing. But, I must warn you that this information will come out in court and detectives from the child protection squad may take a different view.”

“Yes, I understand detective, so what will happen now?”

“The suspect is already in custody and I will be interviewing him when I return to Surrey Hills. Forensics is still at your house collecting evidence. I hope that what you have told me is the truth and that you have not failed to tell me anything relative to this crime.”

“What do you mean sir?” asked Justin.

“If either of you have any idea what Brendan Haynes was up to or any suspicions about his actions now or at any time in the past, in relation to this killing, you should tell me now, before I find out elsewhere. Concealing information pertinent to a crime investigation is an offence.”

“I think we have told you everything Detective.”

“OK, thanks for your co-operation and by the way Mrs. Haynes where can we contact you over the next week?”

“She will be staying here with me sir.”

“Very well, here is my card, if you think of anything else please call me anytime, and we will keep you informed of any significant developments, that concern you and Mr. Haynes, in our investigation.”

“Oh, one more question, does anybody else live here.”

“Yes” replied Justin. “My partner lives in this house, and his grandmother lives in the garden flat. Craig is with her at the moment, but they know nothing about this other than what we told my partner just before you arrived.”

“I won’t need to interview them at this point, but please give me their names for my notes.”

Craig and his grandmother had stayed in the flat until they saw the detective’s car leave. Then they both came into the house. Jessica and Alice had not met before so they were introduced and Jessica apologised for all the trouble.

Alice said to Jessica, “It’s alright my dear Craig has explained it all to me and as long he is happy with the arrangements for you to stay here, then so am I, as I trust his judgement.”

“Thank you Alice, I am pleased to meet you, Craig and Justin speak very highly of you.”

“I must say my dear, I don’t envy you and the situation you are in. It must be such a shock and I imagine there must be difficult days ahead for you. As far as I am concerned you are welcome to stay as long as you need, but this is the boy’s home now and they make all the decisions.”

Jessica smiled and seemed to relax after receiving Alice’s acceptance.

“I must also add that if Craig is not going to give me a grand daughter-in-law, then I am pleased to have Justin as a de facto grandson-in-law.”

“Thank you again Alice, I feel the same about Craig.”

“Well my dear this old Granny needs her beauty sleep so I will bid you good night for now. I hope you can get some rest tonight. If you think you need some help with that my doctor has prescribed for me some wonderful pills, just send Craig down to get them if want.”

Jessica did not reply to the offer but just said, “Good night Alice and thank you again.”

Next Chapter - Revelations (not the biblical kind)
Copyright © 2021 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Wow 8
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow, what a proverbial can of worms has been opened!  I predict several plot lines will eventually radiate out from the events of this chapter.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

....I suppose a homophobic monster would be in a good mood after murdering a gay man. He could argue in court that his actions were out of anger because the man raped his son years before yet I suspect it’s more homophobia driven, though unless there’s evidence he’s targeted others that’d be hard to prove. A moment of insanity brought on by anger is a good defense for a lesser sentence “if” there’s not evidence proving it was premeditated.

  • Like 3
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

I have no doubt Brendan will use either the "gay panic defence" or claim he was avenging the "man who stole his son's innocence".

If Brendan resorts to the former as a reason for the murder, I wonder if the toilet block in question is a known beat, one which Brendan has frequented. Perhaps Brendan himself may be attracted to men, but has attempted to quell such desires due to his religious beliefs. Internalised homophobia over such proclivities might explain his violent opposition to Justin being gay.

I have done a little research just now on the 'net and was surprised to learn that Sam is considered to have committed statutory rape when he had sex with Justin. Although Justin willingly participated in the sex if I remember correctly, the sex is legally classed as statutory rape because Justin was underage at only 15 at the time. It is more commonly referred to as unlawful sex with a minor (this is what I have always heard it referred to as). Whilst I do not condone Sam's actions, I have always thought that rape was non-consensual sex, and usually had an element of violence associated with it. I was surprised by the comment made by @NimirRaj, which is what prompted me to undertake this research. Not to make light of this, but @Wombat Bill this story has provided me with an opportunity to better educate myself on an issue which I would not ordinarily have researched. Having said all this, I do not think Brendan should be able to use this as an excuse for the murder.

I am probably living in "cloud cuckoo land", but if anything good comes out of this, I hope the principal of the school is charged for not having reported the statutory rape, and the school itself held to have a degree of culpability. Had the school principal acted in Justin's best interests in the first place (laughable I know to think this would have happened), the murder may not have taken place. In the real world this of course would not happen, as we know only too well of the appalling atrocities which have been committed against children in religious-based schools, the leaders of whom have often turned a blind-eye and/or blamed the children for what happened.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 4
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Summerabbacat said:

I have no doubt Brendan will use either the "gay panic defence" or claim he was avenging the "man who stole his son's innocence".

If Brendan resorts to the former as a reason for the murder, I wonder if the toilet block in question is a known beat, one which Brendan has frequented. Perhaps Brendan himself may be attracted to men, but has attempted to quell such desires due to his religious beliefs. Internalised homophobia over such proclivities might explain his violent opposition to Justin being gay.

I have done a little research just now on the 'net and was surprised to learn that Sam is considered to have committed statutory rape when he had sex with Justin. Although Justin willingly participated in the sex if I remember correctly, the sex is legally classed as statutory rape because Justin was underage at only 15 at the time. It is more commonly referred to as unlawful sex with a minor (this is what I have always heard it referred to as). Whilst I do not condone Sam's actions, I have always thought that rape was non-consensual sex, and usually had an element of violence associated with it. I was surprised by the comment made by @NimirRaj, which is what prompted me to undertake this research. Not to make light of this, but @Wombat Bill this story has provided me with an opportunity to better educate myself on an issue which I would not ordinarily have researched. Having said all this, I do not think Brendan should be able to use this as an excuse for the murder.

I am probably living in "cloud cuckoo land", but if anything good comes out of this, I hope the principal of the school is charged for not having reported the statutory rape, and the school itself held to have a degree of culpability. Had the school principal acted in Justin's best interests in the first place (laughable I know to think this would have happened), the murder may not have taken place. In the real world this of course would not happen, as we know only too well of the appalling atrocities which have been committed against children in religious-based schools, the leaders of whom have often turned a blind-eye and/or blamed the children for what happened.

"Age of Consent" laws are all over the place, in many countries.  Wikipedia and other references have tables of consent laws in various places.  In some cases, even with US states the laws can vary.  For example, the age of consent might be 16 in a particular state -- but it could be legal to have sex at an earlier age if the people are married to each other.  Some have "age difference" laws, which say that if the age difference of an underage person having sex with an older person over the age of [legal] consent is more than X number of years the sex is illegal.  In the US state of Nebraska, some years ago, a guy got his 12-year-old girlfriend pregnant (he was 21 -- and the girl was dating the guy with her mother's consent!  What kind of mother lets a 12 year old date a 21 year old?)  The local prosecuting attorney had the guy thrown in jail for statutory rape (having sex with someone under the age of consent -- which in Nebraska was age 16 -- and when he bailed out, the guy, his pregnant girlfriend (who was now 13) and the girl's mother went to neighboring Kansas -- which at that time, the age of consent for girls was 12 -- and they got legally married, then went back to Nebraska.  The prosecuting attorney had him thrown in jail again, saying something like: "Yes, it is a legal marriage.  But Nebraska law does not make an exception for someone under age sixteen having sex with someone 18 or over merely because they are legally married!"  To get the man out of jail, he and the girl had to agree to move out of state and stay out.
The point of "age of consent" laws is to say that someone under the age of X CANNOT give consent to have sex with someone over age Y.  That does not mean they are always reasonable..

@Summerabbacat -- You are correct in saying institutions and schools often "sweep things under the rug" to make the institution or school look better-- or at least not look as bad as they might be.

@Wombat Bill, this is going to have a lot of effects on the lives of some in your story.  I look forward to seeing how these changes are handled.

  • Like 1
  • Wow 2
Link to comment
On 03/02/2021 at 9:08 AM, Summerabbacat said:

I have no doubt Brendan will use either the "gay panic defence" or claim he was avenging the "man who stole his son's innocence".

@NimirRaj @Wombat Bill

I didn't think gay panic was recognised in Australia.

Edited by Paqman
  • Like 2
Link to comment
33 minutes ago, Paqman said:

I didn't think gay panic was recognised in Australia.

It certainly has been used, but to what extent it has been used successfully I don't know. Some states in Australia are traditionally more conservative than others, although having said that, NSW, the largest and traditionally the least conservative state, had several electorates with the highest 'No' vote in the marriage equality plebiscite. These electorates have a high population of migrants from countries where religious fanaticism thrives and being gay is likely to result in execution, or at least a life of misery. Of course, this was denied at the time, for fear of offending anyone. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Summerabbacat said:

It certainly has been used, but to what extent it has been used successfully I don't know. Some states in Australia are traditionally more conservative than others, although having said that, NSW, the largest and traditionally the least conservative state, had several electorates with the highest 'No' vote in the marriage equality plebiscite. These electorates have a high population of migrants from countries where religious fanaticism thrives and being gay is likely to result in execution, or at least a life of misery. Of course, this was denied at the time, for fear of offending anyone. 

It was used, but South Australia banned it 2 months ago, they were the last one where it could be used.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/12/02/gay-panic-defence-abolished-south-australia-vickie-chapman-violent-crime/

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Paqman said:

It was used, but South Australia banned it 2 months ago, they were the last one where it could be used.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/12/02/gay-panic-defence-abolished-south-australia-vickie-chapman-violent-crime/

@Paqman thank you for this information. This is not the first time @Wombat Bill has raised an issue which has prompted research. Dare I say, this is another aspect of his story telling that keeps us, his readers, on our toes and entertained.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..