Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 2,932 Words
  • 1,534 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Contains graphic sexual scenes.

Catering with Benefits (2) - Second Course - 29. THE TRIAL  

p style="text-align:center;">

4e69eee7604637729dbd69bade405b12.jpg 

 

Life had been going well for Justin and his mum since she moved closer. She had settled into a new life and was particularly happy that she now got to spend a lot more time with her son. But the thought of her husband and his eventual trial was never far from her mind, although she rarely mentioned it, particularly when in the company of Craig’s family.

Three months after Justin’s father was arrested a date was announced for his trial. Jessica and Justin discussed if they would attend the trial. Neither of them was required to give evidence as their statements had been taken by the police and if necessary would be tendered by the police on their behalf. The police had indicated that character evidence would not be required by the prosecution and they assumed that given his history the defence would be unlikely to want either of them on the stand. They took advice from the solicitor and also from a counsellor Justin had engaged for his mum to see whenever she felt she was not coping. They both decided they would attend at least the first day and see how Brendan reacted to their presence and how they felt on the day. The counsellor and solicitor were both aware of this and agreed it was probably best to take it one day at a time. The counsellor said they could always stop attending at any time, if they were not comfortable. However, if they did not attend they might regret it later.

The day before the trial they both attended a joint session with the counsellor to prepare emotionally for their attendance at the court.

On the day of the trial, Craig insisted on driving them to the court. He said he would not attend unless they particularly wanted his support. But he did advise that he would be not far away and if they wanted to leave or needed him for any reason, all they had to do was call him and he would be there in minutes.

Neither of them had before attended a court for any reason so it was all very strange, confusing and at sometimes stuffy. They sat in the back row so they could not be seen by Brendan but they could see and hear what was happening. The first part of the morning was taken up with legal formalities, most of which they did not understand. Prosecution and defence representatives introduced themselves and each made a short statement on how they intended to present their respective cases and what evidence they would offer. The judge then ordered a short adjournment and advised that on return the defendant would be required to make his plea.

During the break Justin asked “How are you coping Mum?”

“I’m OK son. It’s not quite as intimidating as I thought, but that’s probably because I don’t understand much of it.”

“Yeah, me too; So do you want a tea of coffee, I think there’s a stall outside.”

“A strong black tea would be great, unless they have something stronger.”

“Mum! This is a court.”

“I know, just joking.”

“That’s a good sign, that you can still make a joke.”

“Why don’t I get the tea and you call Craig, he’s probably dying to know what’s happening.”

Craig answered, “Yes, Justin what’s wrong?”

“Nothing’s wrong, the courts having a tea break and Mum suggested I call you.”

“So what’s happening in the case?”

“Nothing much, just a lot of legal mumbo jumbo, I think it really starts when we get back.”

“OK, I’m just around the corner if either of you need me. Love you both.”

“Love you too, better go now, bye.”

They gulped down their tea and headed back into the court which had already resumed. They noticed that the two barristers were up talking to the judge. After a few minutes they returned to their tables and the judge called the court to order.

“Learned colleagues, members of the jury and members of the public gallery, there have been recent developments that will change the direction of this hearing.”

There was a sound of everyone taking a deep breath, a shuffle of feet and mutterings from the gallery.

“Silence!” ordered the judge. “Will the defendant please stand” Brendan was nudged by his counsel and they both stood up. “Counsel for the defendant, is your client ready to plea?”

“Yes your honour.”

“Brendan Haynes...” Justin cringed when he heard his family name called in court. “...you have been charged by the people of the State of New South Wales with wilfully attacking one Sam Hiscock on the twelfth of June this year in Parramatta, occasioning death. How do you plead?

All eyes turned from the judge to Brendan Haynes, who hesitated before answering. He looked at his counsel who then nodded to him before he answered the judge, “Guilty your honour.” The court room erupted. People were muttering some were leaving, including the media to get the story out.

The Judge used his gavel and shouted “Silence please.” He looked at Haynes’ counsel and asked “Is this your client’s instruction to you?”

“Yes your honour, my client wishes to plead guilty.”

“...and I’d do it again if I needed to.” shouted Haynes.

“I doubt you will get that chance Mr. Haynes. Counsel will you please control your client.”

“Yes, your honour.”

Justin and Jessica hugged each other and barely held back tears. The judge then said something about a sentencing date, but Justin and his mum were not really listening to him, they were just so thrilled with this outcome they just sat there hugging each other.

There were some more legal formalities before the court was dismissed, the judge left and the prisoner led away. As Justin and his mum stood to leave they caught sight of Brendan being escorted from the court. He saw them also and made a rude gesture towards them. The court officer in charge of the prisoner pulled his arm behind his back and was heard to say “You are very lucky the judge did not see that, but I certainly did”.

Justin immediately called Craig “It’s all over Craig, he’s guilty.”

“How can a court case be over so soon, it’s only been about an hour?”

“Pick us up now and I’ll tell you on the way home.”

As they were leaving the grounds of the court Jessica saw some people approaching with note pads and microphones.

“Justin, look there.”

Justin shielded his mum and said quite resolutely “We have no comment to make, please respect our privacy. Direct your questions to his solicitor.” He saw Craig’s car approaching and they ran for that, the media did not follow, but the cameras were aimed at them. When they got in the car Jessica said, “Justin you were so strong back there, you really put those people in their place.”

“What do you mean?” asked Craig.

“My son dealt with the media in one sentence. I am so proud of him.”

On the way home Justin explained the events to Craig who drove into the next drive-in bottle shop. “What are we doing here?” asked Justin.

“I am buying a case of their best Champagne and we are going to celebrate like never before. Here take my phone, call mum and dad and tell them their presence is required at our place on Saturday at lunch time. I’ll tell Gran when we get home.” When he had completed his purchase Craig turned to Jessica, “Please call anyone you want to help celebrate with us and invite them over.”

“Justin, why don’t you call your aunt Julia and Hannah? I’m not sure if they will want to celebrate but they should be told of the outcome.” offered Jessica.

“OK Mum”

“Other than them, I think you have invited all my family already.” said Jessica

Justin’s call to his aunt went to voicemail and by the time she called back she had already seen the news report. Julia did accept the invitation, as she was keen to get to know this family that Justin and his mum spoke so highly of.

***

Both families went to the boy’s place on the following Saturday for a BBQ lunch. When all had arrived Craig welcomed everybody, “Thank you all for coming today. Although we are going to have some good times today and this is in one way a celebration for both families I don’t think we should consider it a celebration of Mr. Haynes guilt but a celebration of the fact that Justin and his mum have been through a difficult time and have come through it. This is a celebration of the strength of their spirit and love for each other that got them through this difficult situation.”

“Bravo Craig!” said his father.

Justin followed with, “I too would like to say something. My mum and I are indeed pleased to be at the end of this, but I doubt we would have made it without the support of Craig and the Simpson family. I am going to say something more and that is, I love you Craig and without your love I don’t know where I would be today. And to the rest of my new family I would like to say thank you also.”

“May I second that.” said Jessica “I have especially enjoyed the support and friendship of Alice, or Gran as my son calls her. You have not only been supportive but also welcomed me into your home and I will never forget that.”

“You are more than welcome Jessica. You and your son are now valued members of our family.”

“Here here” chanted Craig’s father.

“So Dad, why don’t you pop some of that bubbly and start the party while I fire up the barbecue?”

The wine started to flow and conversations started around the garden. Justin walked his aunt Julia around the party gradually introducing her to all the Simpson family. Alice asked her about a husband and children. Justin had forgotten to explain this beforehand. “I’m sorry Aunt Julia and Gran, but my aunt has a female partner and they each have a son.”

Before Julia could reply Gran got in first, “No need to apologise my boy. I’m not that far behind the times. I just did not know, but I’d love for you to tell me about your children Julia.”

“Oh you’ll meet them soon, they are over there with my partner Hannah.

“OK I’ll leave you two to chat and I will go and help Craig.” said Justin.

As Justin approached the barbecue area he noticed Craig and his mother in a conversation that he thought he should not interrupt so he diverted away and went into the kitchen. From there he watched them and became aware that he had made the right decision as the conversation seemed to get more serious.

“But what makes you think that Mum?” asked Craig.

“Well, Dr. O’Brien, whom you know I work for, heard that there is a catering company that does a lot of functions for the medical fraternity and has a waiter that performs almost in the nude sometimes. He did not know the name of the company but knew it was run by two gay men.”

“And did he say anything else?”

“No, that’s about it and he only mentioned it at morning tea gossip, he does not know who they are.”

“So you think I might know who they are?”

“Well the medical community is, or should I say was your community.”

“Mum I know what you are thinking and I won’t lie to you. It sounds like he is referring to Justin and me”.

“So, exactly what happens at these functions?”

“Mum, I will tell you but you must promise beforehand that you will not tell anyone else until Justin has a chance to tell his family.”

“You mean they don’t know either?”

“I don’t think so. He has never mentioned it to me.”

“OK, I will keep it to myself, but don’t leave it too long it could leak out from somewhere else.”

“Mum, could you go and tell Justin I need his help here and then leave us alone to talk?”

“Sure son.” Cathy did as requested and Justin went to Craig’s assistance.

“What were you and your mum so deep in conversation about?”

“Us, but you, to be specific.”

“Me, what have I done?”

“Mum knows about your waiters duties.”

“Well that’s no surprise.”

“I mean she found out that you work almost naked.”

“Fuck! Who told her that?”

“Her employer heard it from some other doctor that there is a catering company with a near naked waiter, that they are gay and she put two and two together.”

“So did you confirm it?”

“More or less, I didn’t think there was any point denying it.”

“So what is she going to do about it?”

“Nothing for now, I asked her to keep quiet about it until we sort it out.”

“How do we sort it out?”

“I guess you have to tell your mum and see where we go from there.”

“I should have known we would have to face this one day. Remember when we had to put your Gran off when she wanted to attend one of our functions.”

“Yeah, that was a close shave, but now we don’t have much choice.”

“You can’t convince your mum to say nothing, can you?”

“That’s not the point. Even if she would it’s bound to come from somewhere else one day, so maybe we should just face it now.”

“You’re probably right and anyway, I don’t think my mum will have a problem with it if I explain it to her carefully. It’s your family I don’t want to hurt.”

“Just leave my family to me, they’ll be cool. They’re not really that square, but they don’t like secrets.”

“I understand.”

Craig and Justin toasted each other and then Justin had an idea. “Craig, I just had a thought.”

“Yes? you worry me when you say that.”

“I know, but this might work.”

“OK let me hear it.”

“What if I was to go and put on my hotpants and wear them to do the serving? We make no secret of the fact that I dress like that sometimes and we might get away with them thinking that is ‘near naked’ as your mum put it. After all, I won’t be any more naked than on the beach.”

“That might just work. It’s certainly worth a try. So how do we introduce you?”

“How about we use Gran, she’s always supportive?”

“What!”

“Remember she asked about attending a function. What if you tell her that we will run today as one of our functions and that I have a special surprise for her? Then if she is on side, who else can complain or go against her?”

“I’m nervous about this, but willing to give it a try.”

“OK, you get your dad to take over the barbecue, then go and prepare your Gran, while I get changed.”

“And then what?”

“If you make it clear to Gran that it’s especially for her, I will come out with her favourite drink, G & T isn’t it? on a silver tray and present it to her.”

“OK so far.”

“Then as I present her with the drink you announce that I sometimes dress like this for ladies nights parties. If Gran does not have a heart attack on the spot, then I think we might be safe from any more questions.”

“Well Gran does pride herself on being up to date and she won’t pretend if she disapproves.”

“Right, and who else would disapprove if Gran doesn’t?”

“OK go buff up and I will get Gran prepared.” Justin left and Craig called out, “Dad, can you watch the barbecue, while I chat to Gran. I think Julia may need rescuing from Gran’s inquisition.”

“Sure son.”

About ten minutes later Justin, who was watching from the kitchen window for Craig’s signal, came down the stairs, paraded through the garden and presented one of his adoring fans with a special drink.

Alex and James called out “Go Cuz! Shake your booty.” There were a few gasps, but they were quickly silenced when Gran spoke.

“Well thank you good man,” she said “Do all the girls get this special service from you?”

“Only the most attractive ones Madam.”

“Oh, now I know you’re lying, but I’ll take the compliment just the same.” Gran took her drink, turned to the party and proposed, “Here’s to handsome young men and the way they flatter us girls.”

Justin looked at Craig with a big smile, then Craig looked at his mother questioningly and she smiled at him as a proud mother does. Craig saw no further need to explain to the families about girls’ nights.

Jessica walked up to Justin, gave him a compliment about his body and said, “You’ve won over the matriarch of the family what more is there left for the rest of us to say. Proud of you son.”

“Thanks Mum, sorry I didn’t tell you before, I really am. I don’t like keeping secrets from you, but it just never seemed to be an issue worth taking up. It all seemed natural to Craig and I. In fact it only started by accident.”

“Tell me how that happened.”

“Well we were working at a party where lots of red wine was served and........”

Next chapter - The vote - Dean’s back - Visa status - and much more.
Copyright © 2021 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 5
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Thankfully Justin stopped at the hot pants or Grandma might have had a heart attack...or um “attacked” Justin. 😂 

Edited by NimirRaj
  • Haha 4
Link to comment

Any sympathy I may have had for Brendan after the revelation of his childhood abuse, evaporated when he shouted "and I'd do it again if I needed to", and when he made the rude gesture towards his wife and son when being led from the courtroom. Clearly, Brendan has no remorse for what he did, regardless of whether the murder was premeditated or not. I am intrigued as to why he changed his plea to "guilty". If he did so to receive a lesser sentence, I would suggest his outburst may have closed that door.

Gran is fast becoming a favourite for all who meet her. She demonstrated a great sense of humour in this chapter, and proved her acceptance of "rainbow families" is not limited to those with whom she has a familial connection i.e. her beloved Craig and Justin.

Craig redeemed himself further with his welcoming words to the party attendees. If anything good has come from the murder it is the strengthening of the relationship between Justin and Craig, and Justin and his mother; and, the forging of new relationships between Jessica and the various members of the Simpson family.

@Wombat Bill another fine chapter with more revelations to build the story upon. I am disappointed that Brendan had few, if any, redeeming qualities, but I think the picture you have painted of him is likely a very realistic and common one for people in similar situations. 

 

 

 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I'm glad Brendan saw sense and pleaded guilty, I hope he gets a long sentence. Everyone seems supportive of Justin and Craig, after Justin appeared in is hot pants.

Would loved to have seen Grans and the families reaction if he'd gone further.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

@NimirRaj - or um “attacked” Justin. - Gran might have said “No need to apologise my boy. I’m not that far behind the times" but I don't think she would go any further than that.

@ReaderPaul - Oh, I would have loved to hear the rest of Justin's explanation!  -  I think he only repeated what you read in the chapter "The red wine incident"

@Summerabbacat She demonstrated a great sense of humour in this chapter, and proved her acceptance of "rainbow families"  She's not a bad old stick is she?

@chris191070 - I hope he gets a long sentence.  Finally a character you're all glad to see the end of. But as we don't have the death penalty here, who knows?

@Wombat Bill - I hope Brendan gets a LONG sentence. I actually didn't write a chapter about his sentencing, so put on your Judges hats and let me know what would be a suitable sentence. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..