Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 2,623 Words
  • 1,288 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Contains graphic sexual scenes.

Catering with Benefits (2) - Second Course - 26. The Apology

p style="text-align:center;"> aa0048331125ae2b5bbcb475ba8e415b.jpg 

Edward’s apology dinner was finally arranged for the first weekend when all were expected to be available on a Saturday night. Edward was in a flap all day preparing the meal and setting the most beautiful table he could. He used all the best crockery and glassware and even purchased a floral centrepiece for the table. Romel was in charge of drinks and welcoming the guests as they arrived. Just before the guests were due to arrive Edward did a final check of his table for nine.

 

A few days before the dinner, Andy rang Juanito to ask if he would like a ride to the dinner.

“Thanks Andy, that’s generous of you.”

“It will be my pleasure Juanito. Can you text me your address and I’ll pick you up at 6.00.”

“Will do that, and I look forward to it.”

 

First to arrive were Tristan and Raj who had shared a ride together. Edward watched from the kitchen to see if his guests exchanged hugs with Romel. He took that as an indication that he was flying in clear air and might be forgiven for his previous outburst. Thomas arrived alone but Andy and Juanito were a little late arriving.

“Thanks for the ride.” said Juanito as he got into Andy’s car. Andy took his time driving so he would have time to talk to Juanito privately.

“My pleasure Juanito. Tonight you will meet some more of our friends.”

“I’m looking forward to it, who’ll be there?”

“Craig and Justin, they are a couple who run a catering business. They are fun, especially Justin.

“Oh I think I met them at Mardi Gras Fair Day and spoke on the phone about getting some work.”

“Yes, I meant to talk to you about that. I’m sorry if you felt I was interfering in your life, but I just thought I could get you some different work. It was not my intention to force you into anything you don’t want.”

“It’s ok Andy. I’ve spoken to Romel and Edward about that and I now agree with them that I will take some waiting work with Craig and Justin.”

“Oh that’s great Juanito.”

“Yes, it seems sensible to me now, especially since I will be going back to my studies and also moving in with my cousin.”

“Really, I’m so pleased, that makes everything different, now maybe I can....” Andy stopped mid-sentence.”

“Yes Andy, what were you saying?”

“Oh, it’s not important, just thinking out loud.”

“So who else will be at dinner?”

“Well, there will be Raj, who works with his parents’ in their Indian restaurant at Harris Park, and Tristan, a principal dancer with the Sydney Dance Company. Also there will be a colleague and dear friend of mine Thomas, who works for the same family that owns the jewellery company I work for”.

“Sounds like a varied bunch.”

“Yes, they’re from all different backgrounds but have blended into a very supportive and fun group. I consider myself lucky to have found them. I am the newest member to be invited into the group, so that’s very good.”

“Can you stop at a bottle shop please Andy, I want to pick up a few bottles to contribute to the dinner?”

“Ah, normally we do all take wine, but tonight Edward has especially requested that we not take anything at all, he wants to provide everything as his way of apologising to the other members of the group.”

“OK, if that’s what he wants.”

“He does and we don’t want to upset Edward. He can be very difficult, although tonight I expect he’ll be on his best behaviour.”

“You’re making me a bit nervous now.”

“Don’t worry.”

“Andy, you told me before that you are a jewellery designer at a big diamond dealer in the city, but you also mentioned working directly for the family, what’s their name?”

“The Prices.”

“That’s it, but what else do you do for these Prices?”

“I used to be Mr. Price’s live-in but I left months ago so that I could have a private relationship of my own. When I started there I thought it was a genuine relationship but it turned out to be a relationship of convenience. As I got older Mr. Price wanted younger men and used me to procure for him. Mostly they were one night stands. He’s always paid for his sex, so no one expected anymore than that. However, he kept me on as a home companion. I also worked in the studio and he paid for my training to become a jewellery designer. Now and then he would prefer me to a stranger for the night. It meant I wasn’t needed all the time but it also made it difficult to have a relationship outside of that arrangement. That’s why I eventually left. Since I stopped living with Mr. Price he has been getting his rent-boys direct from the agency himself. That is new to him so he asked me recently to see if I could set up an arrangement such as his wife has with Thomas. Now that he does not have me he has decided that he would like another live-in arrangement”.

“I see, so is Thomas Mrs Price’s live-in?”

“No! Thomas is her personal assistant in a true business sense, like a secretary. He also procures her live-in lovers for her. But he is going to help me find a new live-in for Mr. Price.”

“Why are you telling me all this, in a manner that is more than conversational?”

“When we set out tonight I had plans to ask you if you would be interested in the position with Mr Price, instead of working the streets?”

“You mean I could have a job working for just one trick on a regular basis?”

“I don’t like the term trick, but yes, that was the general idea. However, now things have changed that’s not necessary anymore.”

“Can I think about it for a while, I might still be interested?”

“Juanito, I thought you were going to work for Craig and study.”

“Well, I did agree to that before I knew about this opportunity.”

“There is no opportunity, anymore.”

“Why didn’t you tell me about this instead of arranging waiting work for me? I might have made a different decision.”

“There is no decision to be made, the offer’s withdrawn.”

“Withdrawn by whom?”

“Me...well what I mean is...the situation has changed...so I couldn’t make the offer to you.”

“But you said that when we set out tonight you were going to ask me.”

“Did I? You must have misunderstood me. Sometime I don’t explain things clearly.”

“I’m sure you said that, but if that’s not what you meant...”

“I certainly didn’t mean that Juanito.”

“Ok.”

“We’re here now so let’s have a great evening and we can talk more another time.”

***

The hosts and their three guests were having drinks when Andy and Juanito arrived.

“Sorry we’re late guys.” said Andy.

“No problem.” replied Romel.

“It seems you’re not the last though.” said Tristan.

“Why, who else is to come?”

“Justin and Craig are not here yet.”

After introductions Romel said “Ah, guys I’ve waited till you’re all here to tell you they won’t be joining us tonight.”

Just then Edward joined the group as he knew what Romel was about to say.

Raj asked, “Is one of them sick or did they get a last minute job?”

“Knowing those two, they have probably been at it all day and are too shagged to get out of bed.” suggested Tristan.

“Guys, this is serious, top up your glasses, I think you are going to need it.” replied Romel.

Edward refilled all the glasses as the group looked questioningly at each other but waited in silence for Romel to explain.

“Guys this is about Justin or more particularly, Justin’s father. It seems there has been a bashing murder in a car park toilet”.

“Oh poor bugger.” said Tristan “I didn’t know Justin’s father but I’m sorry to hear about his death.”

“No Tristan, it’s not Justin’s father that is dead. He is suspected of being the killer.”

“Oh fuck! When did this happen?”

“A few days back, Justin’s Mum is staying with him and Craig while the investigation goes on.”

“I think I heard something on the news about a bashing in a toilet at Parramatta. Is that it?” asked Raj. “That’s quite near our restaurant.”

“Yes” replied Romel.

“Hang on guys,” said Thomas, who had listened in silence until now, “I’ve got something on my phone. It says ‘a plumber from Blacktown has been arrested and charged with the murder of a gardener in a Parramatta shopping centre. The suspect has appeared before Parramatta court and has been refused bail. He awaits a further hearing on a date to be set. The charged man is believed to be named Brendan Haynes”

“That sounds like it.” said Edward, “Craig called us yesterday to explain why they could not be here tonight but only gave us a few details. It must be a difficult time for both families.”

“But Justin and his mum are in good hands with Craig’s family, they are very supportive” added Romel.

“Now that we all know the news, I would like to propose a toast.” said Edward.

“I don’t think this is an appropriate time for your matter.” said Romel.

“No, I was going to propose a toast to Justin and his mum, and wish them the strength they will need to get through their ordeal.”

All raised their glasses as Edward said “To Justin, his mum and their families.”

Jointly all said “To Justin and his mum.”

“Now gentlemen I must get back to the kitchen. Romel can you help me and Tristan and Raj, will you show our new friends to the table.”

During dinner Raj asked “What should we do for Justin and Craig? It’s probably not appropriate to intrude upon their privacy by visiting them, so should we send something or send cards. What does one do in a case like this?”

“You’re right” added Tristan “I’ve certainly never before been this close to a murder.”

Thomas asked, “I know I’m new to this group but may I make a suggestion.”

“Of course.” answered Edward.

“Perhaps it would be appropriate for all those who know them the best to write a personal note in a card for Justin and Craig, then for his mum send her flowers with a simple note with something like ‘Thinking of you and your family at this difficult time. Your son is a valued friend of ours and our support is always available’.”

“Sounds good to me.” said Edward as everybody else nodded their agreement. “Romel and I will arrange it and get the card around to everybody for you to write your personal messages.”

After dessert Edward took to his feet and said, “Friends, I know this has been a difficult evening, given the news that we had to share with you. You all know the reason for having this dinner tonight, so I can’t let the night end without saying that I’m truly sorry for my actions the last time we were all gathered around a table. I ask for your forgiveness and promise that this bitchy old queen will try to keep her tongue in check in the future.”

“Thank you Edward.” said Tristan then “Same here,” and “Me too,” were heard from others around the table.

The diners then left the table and split up into smaller groups around the living room while they waited for coffee to arrive. Romel went to the kitchen, to help Edward, Raj and Tristan sat on one couch, while Thomas, Andy and Juanito sat around the coffee table. Thomas opened the conversation. “Andy, have you spoken to Juanito about the offer?”

“No Thomas, Juanito’s plans have changed considerably since we last spoke. He has accepted Romel’s plan to get him work with Justin and Craig.”

“Oh, I didn’t know, that’s good to hear Juanito.”

“Maybe.” answered Juanito “But I’m still interested in hearing about the job with the Prices.”

“There really is no job on offer Juanito and I thought I told you Thomas, there is a different plan now.” said Andy as he gave Thomas a stern look and a stare.

“Oh, stupid me...I remember now...you’re right Andy.” Feeling a bit uncomfortable, Thomas said “I might go and see if I can give Romel a hand with the coffee.”

“I’ll do that guys, so you two can talk.” said Juanito. “You seem to have a misunderstanding to sort out.”

When Juanito left, Thomas said “What’s going on with you two. I thought you decided to suss him out about Price’s job when he told you he didn’t want waiting work.”

“There’s nothing between us yet, but he told me he was going to accept the waiting job and also study while he lives here.”

“When did this happen?”

“Must have been in the last few days, but I didn’t know so I thought I might as well see if he was interested the job with Mr. P. Then, when he told me I went back to plan A, that you suggested. Problem is, I mentioned it in the car and now you’ve said the same it seems he’s interested.”

“Can I assume that you now intend to ask him on a date?”

“I’d like to.”

“Ok, leave it with the master.”

 

Juanito returned with coffee for three and sat with Thomas and Andy. “Thank you Juanito, you will make a very good waiter. I’m sure Craig and Justin will be very pleased with your services.”

“Thank you Thomas. It seems that’s the only option I have left now.”

“Yes, there is no other offer.” replied Andy.

Thomas said “Andy, perhaps I should explain it to Juanito.”

“Ok” replied a dejected Andy.

“I think Romel and Edward have made you a wonderful offer Juanito, so I wouldn’t say it’s your only option. It’s an extremely good opportunity for you. You see this confusion is entirely my fault. Mr. Price’s plans have changed, and I should have made it clear to Andy, then he would not have been confused tonight. Please accept my apologies.”

“No need to apologise Thomas. Perhaps I misunderstood the conversation in the car. As you say, there is no job on offer, so that’s the end of it.”

“Very good, now that’s cleared up perhaps you can tell us more about yourself. Andy said you are going to study.”

“Yes, I was part way through an accountancy degree before I migrated to Australia. Now I will have the chance to return to that, if I am accepted at college.”

“I’m sure you will be and if there is any way I can help, please let me know.”

When Edward finished in the kitchen he headed straight for the trio and said “Thomas, what are you doing monopolising all Juanito’s time. Come with me, and leave him and Andy to get to know each other better.”

As they left, Juanito said to Andy “Do you get the impression someone wants us left alone?”

“Why would you say that?”

“Edward is not always very subtle, you must have noticed that.”

“You think he is trying to organise your life again?”

“And Thomas, I suspect, is trying to organise your life. But in this case I won’t object, if you don’t.”

“I think we’re capable of organising our own lives.” replied Andy.

“What did you have in mind?”

“Are you ready to leave, Juanito?”

“Yes.”

“Then I will drive you home, to mine, if that’s alright with you.”

Copyright © 2021 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It is early days yet for Juanito, the latest character to enter the lives of our motley little group of friends, but I am sensing he may be somewhat an opportunist. Perhaps he is looking for a "visa Daddy" to allow him to remain in Australia? Whatever his intentions, I doubt they are entirely altruistic. If Juanito is as mercenary as I fear he may be, I hope Andy wises up to this sooner rather than later. I sense that he, Andy, is a tender-hearted and perhaps too-trusting man, one who could be easily hurt by a manipulative lover focussed solely on their own needs and desires.

Thomas' suggestion as to how "the group" could show their support for Justin and his mother, the latter whom they have never met, adds another facet to his character. His character growth at the hands of our writer has been slow but steady, painting a man who has much in common with Andy I think, although perhaps Thomas has a stronger veneer than does Andy.

@Wombat Bill I may be jumping to conclusions regarding Juanito, but I trust you will reveal more as this tale unfolds. 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 1
  • Wow 3
Link to comment

@Wombat Bill, I have a similar feeling to what @Summerabbacat expressed concerning Juanito.  Perhaps time will tell, but Juanito seems focused on sex instead of serious studies.  I hope I am wrong, but I predict we will learn more in future chapters.

Edward and Romel explained in a very sensitive way about Justin, Justin's mother, and Craig needing to stay away from the apology dinner.  I just hope that the rest can be a sensitive and exercise discretion as Romel and Edward have done.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
16 hours ago, ReaderPaul said:

@Wombat Bill, I have a similar feeling to what @Summerabbacat expressed concerning Juanito.  Perhaps time will tell, but Juanito seems focused on sex instead of serious studies.  I hope I am wrong, but I predict we will learn more in future chapters.

 

@ReaderPaul I think this is what makes @Wombat Bill's story telling so entertaining and compelling. He invariably evokes a strong reaction from his readers, and is in this case, our reactions are not always the same. 

You seem to have a sense that Juanito is sexually focussed, whereas I believe his primary motivation is financial gain. He seemed very disappointed when the opportunity to become a permanent trick for Mr Price was withdrawn. I sense his disappointment was not the loss of regular sex, but the loss of income and all the trappings that may be available with wealth.

I hope we are both wrong, but he does not appear to share his cousin's kind and caring nature. 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 3
Link to comment

The apology dinner went well. I agree with the others there is more to Juanito story than we know and he may need help with his visa.

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

It’s hard to read Juanito but I get the feeling that at the very least he’s to put it bluntly lazy. He’s likely eager to hear about rich Mr. Price because it’s essentially a low effort high paying “job” vs say waiting tables that isn’t a job that typically includes a high salary. He’s used to selling his body and doesn’t have any qualms about it so why wouldn’t the “job offer” tempt him? He may end up using Andy to further his own gains, though I hope that isn’t the case, and I feel Andy should sooner than later tell him he’s interested in more than just sex. Sounds like a fast move yet he should have told Juanito truthfully that he didn’t want to set up the “job” with Mr. Price because he wanted to date him rather than the complicated mess that unfolded especially as Juanito now knowing about them may seek out the Price’s himself. Nothing is ever simple for these guys.

  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

You guys constantly amaze me by your character interpretations and their motivations. While generally I take your comments as positive, sometimes I feel a little disappointed in myself that I didn't think of what you suggest when writing the story. However, I take it as a compliment when @Summerabbacat says "I think this is what makes @Wombat Bill's story telling so entertaining and compelling. He invariably evokes a strong reaction from his readers, and is in the case, our reactions are not always the same."  I will not explain my reasons why certain characters react in certain ways, although I often have set reasons, as I don't think it is  a writer's job to dictate. It is my job to present and your job to interpret, so well done to you all. 

@ReaderPaul and @Summerabbacat, one of you may be right. 

@chris191070, We have very strict visa conditions in Australia. Juanito's status will be revealed.

@NimirRaj, you said "Nothing is ever simple for these guys"  Thank you, the worse thing I could do as a writer would be bore you. 

Regarding Juanito - there is an alternative version of his story. If you wish to read it, you can find it in my blog "Wombat Bill's Out Takes" . 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..