Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 5,361 Words
  • 1,413 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Contains graphic sexual scenes.

Catering with Benefits (2) - Second Course - 38. ANOTHER ROUND OF COCKTALES

p style="text-align:center;"> 6a443c2b0724400726ce0747d846daa4.png

During a break, Justin entered the room immediately ready for serving. The course was deep fried calamari rings. Justin was wearing a very tight gold cock ring to maintain an erection for the length of this service. His erection was necessary as his cock was stacked eight inches high, with calamari rings.

As he entered the room, Justin spotted two late arrivals at the party and gave them a smile, which was reciprocated with a thumbs up from Brett.

The crowd rushed to Justin to partake of this favourite Aussie snack. But, never before had they seen it served this way. Some just politely took one with their fingers. The more adventurous removed theirs with their lips and savoured it all the more. When his cock was bare he went back to the kitchen, returning a minute later cocked and loaded with deep fried onion rings.

When he reached Brett and Jeremy, Brett said “I can now see why you wanted a complete de-pubing for tonight. We wouldn’t want your customers getting hairs between their teeth.”

“Are you going to try my fare?”

“Just try stopping me.” he replied as be bent over to reach the offering. When another guest did the same, Brett said “Have a close look while you’re down there. It’s some of my best work.”

“Are you the cook?”

“Oh pleeeese!”

Justin continued to alternate between calamari & onion rings until all were sated. When he returned to the kitchen after the final serving he admitted to Craig that he only just managed to keep it up for the last round. They both looked down at his sagging apparatus and laughed loudly.

***

After the break, Max took to the stage again and said “Did everyone enjoy their Calamari?”

“YES” the crowd shouted.

“I thought you might, I certainly did. Now back to business. I’m proud to say that in our gathering of old and new friends we have with us tonight some members of the 78ers. For those younger ones here tonight that may not be familiar with the term, it refers to those who participated in the march of 24 June 1978. It is now regarded as the first Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras and consequently this year is our fortieth anniversary. I say our, because I was privileged to be a part of that march along with my partner Charles and many others I can see present here this evening.”

The crowd applauded, then Max added “Charles, please join me on stage and together we will tell our story of that night.”

As Charles arrived on stage he said “Thank you Max, I’m looking forward to this, but before we start can I ask that if we forget anything that happened that night...”

“Which is likely Charles.”

“Oh yes, so that is why our fellow 78ers are welcome to remind us.”

“Good idea Charles, now I must tell you folks a little of the history of how the march came about. In June 1969, the now well known Stonewall riots took place in response to a police raid that began in the early morning hours, at the Stonewall Inn in the Greenwich Village neighbourhood of Manhattan.”

“But how did this lead to Sydney having a march in June 1978?” asked Charles.

“Well, in March 1978, San Francisco activists wrote to Ken Davis and Annie Talve here. They asked for solidarity activities on the Stonewall anniversary to coincide with their march against the anti-gay Briggs Initiative. Ken and others called a meeting of lesbian and gay groups and individuals and the Gay Solidarity Group formed in Sydney to mark International Gay Solidarity Day on 24 June 1978. Two weeks before, reps from CAMP Inc. suggested that a night-time, fun event for our community be added and the late Marg McMann, Co-President of CAMP Inc., dubbed it a Mardi Gras.”

Charles then continued “The group organised a traditional march and public meeting in the morning and a street parade at night. But we didn’t attend the daytime meetings”

“I remember now, it was not until the evening. In those days I used to work Saturdays at Gowings, but I remember you were keen to join the protest, so after dinner we headed down to Taylor’s Square and the crowd gathered there around 10pm,”

“Rugged up against the cold, I remember it was the middle of winter, not like now.”

“That’s right Charles. For some it had been a big day. A morning street march and public meeting had been held during the day and by the time we arrived those gathered were ready for the street festival that became the first Mardi Gras. As 11pm approached, we set off, some walking, some dancing, a few even skipping and headed down towards Hyde Park.”

“I think you were among the skippers, as I remember.”

“I’m not sure about that but I do remember chants of ‘Out of the bars and into the streets’ joined the sound of gay liberation anthems like ‘Glad to be Gay’ and ‘Ode to a Gym Teacher’ playing on a small sound system on the back of a flat-bed truck driven by Lance Gowland.” The men paused.

“Tell us what happened next” asked someone from the crowd.

“The NSW Police, however, were not in such a joyous mood as we. Despite issuing a permit for the march, the police began to rush revellers down the street. When we reached Hyde Park, in an attempt to get the crowd to disperse, the police confiscated the lead truck and the sound system.”

“Oh, never get between a bunch of queens and their music.” An audience member called out and the rest laughed.

“Seeing that access to Hyde Park was blocked, we were all so incensed we headed towards Kings Cross. Once there the police swooped in, blocking the dispersing crowd and throwing people into paddy-wagons. We fought back but 53 were subsequently charged at Darlinghurst police station.”

“We were not present at the police station, so I will read you a quote from organiser Ken Davis ‘You could hear them in Darlinghurst police station being beaten up and crying out from pain. The night had gone from nerve-wracking to exhilarating to traumatic all in the space of a few hours. The police attack made us more determined to run Mardi Gras the next year’.

“The Gay Solidarity Group and other groups came together for a massive political and legal effort called the Drop the Charges campaign. With pro bono legal assistance from the Council for Civil Liberties, they fought the charges in court. With growing support from many communities, demonstrations were held for the charges to be dropped. But the Police continued to arrest protesters. Over the months of June to August a total of 178 were arrested at various protests. Most of the charges against those arrested were eventually dropped, though not all. The NSW Summary Offences Act, which had given Police very wide powers to arrest people, was eventually repealed in May 1979.”

“What did that act mean?” was asked from the audience.

“The summary offences act gave the police the power to arrest and charge people for almost anything they considered inappropriate. Their interpretation could be quite arbitrary.”

“We’d gone along expecting a Mardi Gras and finished up in a humdinger of a riot in Kings Cross.” added Charles.

Then someone in the crown put his hand up. “Yes, what did you want to add?” asked Max.

“Tell them what the newspapers did.”

“I’m glad you reminded us of that” said Charles “The Sydney Morning Herald published the names, occupations and addresses of all those arrested, thereby outing many and causing some to lose their jobs, rental accommodation and family relationships. This was apparently, the authorities' attempt to keep the community in line, but Sydney’s gays and lesbians would not get back in line. Little did we and others who witnessed and joined in that event know, this was to be the start of Mardi Gras. This became a defining moment not only in LGBTQI rights history, but a defining moment in the cultural heritage of Australia.”

The crowd applauded, Max and Charles, they took a bow and Max invited a past president of Mardi Gras to speak about its history.

“Thank you Max and Charles for your memories of that night in 1978. Now a little history of Mardi Gras itself. As such, the first Mardi Gras march was a major civil rights milestone beyond the gay community. The following year, we joined about 3000 people and marched in an incident-free parade in 1979. Capitalising on this and on the wellspring of public support that had emerged, the gay community decided to keep going with the idea of a parade. We continued to campaign on different aspects of discrimination, and this also began to translate into a cautious acceptance of gay people as customers and employees. Businesses catering to gay and lesbian people also became more open.”

“However, this was not uniformly welcomed by the gay community. For most of the early 1970s, radical gay activists called for the end of capitalism as an oppressive social force. A gulf emerged between the older radicals and new, less revolutionary activists.”

“Mardi Gras faced its next challenge with the spread of AIDS. Public fear about AIDS was so great that organisers of the 1985 Mardi Gras were under intense pressure to cancel. That pressure, combined with the shock of seeing friends, lovers and partners sicken and die, fostered a determination and resilience within the gay and lesbian community. Mardi Gras took on tremendous significance.”

“AIDS activist Bill Whittaker said ‘Many of us know people who just wanted to live until one more Mardi Gras, it was so important in their lives. And they did, and still do’.

Mardi Gras has grown to be one of the major events of the Sydney calendar. Today it is a festival held over several weeks, culminating in a parade that attracted more than 200,000 participants and spectators. The survival and success of Mardi Gras represents a remarkable and defining change in public attitudes.”

“In 1980 a key new element was introduced, the post-parade party. The face of the modern Mardi Gras we know today was then taking shape. The event began to enjoy extensive media coverage from the mid-80s onwards and the crowds continued to swell, from 200,000 in 1989 to over 500,000 in 1993. Large numbers of interstate and international travellers had started flying in for the event as well, generating an estimated $38 million for the NSW economy each year.”

“Throughout the late ‘90s and early part of this century, Mardi Gras continued to grow in tourist and spectator numbers along with an increase in the quality of the events and the scope of the festival. Its themes each year represent the issues of the day and encourage marginalised groups to join a larger family of supporters.”

“Today, Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras is one of Australia’s most famous and well-loved events, bringing thousands of visitors to Sydney to join in the celebrations. It captures the imagination of Australia’s LGBTQI and mainstream communities, taking over the city for weeks on end, culminating in the world-famous Parade: a colourful and dazzling night of pride, celebration and self-expression. And this new event tonight continues that tradition.”

Then Charles added “Please give the 78ers a round of applause.”

***

After the break, Paul read a letter he had received in 1994.

“Dear Paul,

Last week I got out an old video I have not watched for over a year. It is a Japanese one that I did not particularly like when I got it so I did not watch again. Anyway this time I was really turned on by the last sequence on the tape. So much so that I have played that part every night for the last week and always finish up cumming at the same time as the guy in the video. It's called "Exotic Japan Otoko" and the last sequence is based on a traditional Japanese theatre piece. A character dressed in black robes and with face covered starts by wrapping this guy's arse and cock with a length of fabric, like a theatre dresser. Then while standing behind him arouses the guy and eventually removes the cloth. The guy is oiled and slightly sweaty yet all through the arousal shows no facial expression of enjoyment. Then he binds the guy with ropes and continues to arouse him. By this time I am usually hard as a rock. I might not be long but when aroused I am stiff straight and hard.

Anyway, back to the story. Still the guy shows no facial signs of pleasure only his cock seems to be enjoying it. It goes on in the usual manner, and he slowly removes the ropes and lays the guy over his knee and puts what looks like a zucchini up his arse (I must put some on my grocery list). Then he lays him down and pulls him off. The guy gushes over his stomach and chest but still just lies there. Needless to say I have done my own share of gushing by then. As the picture fades to black, I lay back smear my own juices over my body and bask in the afterglow.

I may have to go soon, I have already got a hard on. Yes, I do enjoy wanking. There is a certain degree of satisfaction in pleasing someone, and of course you always do the just the right things for yourself, no prompting is needed. Who knows better than yourself just where all the right spots are; how far and how fast to go and of course your own timing is always perfect. Don’t get me wrong wanking isn't my life, just a part of it. It still is nice to have someone else though, isn't it?

I saw a video advertised the other day about guys who can suck themselves. Unfortunately, I can't manage it. Can you? I thought I might order the video. Have you seen it?

Well, I am going now, to do unspeakable things to myself (no, not really, I haven't got any zucchinis in the fridge).

Oh, that does sound good doesn't it, a chilled zucchini, lubricated and inserted slowly; then held in your tight little arse while you work on your tool. Put a little massage oil in the palm of your hand. Are you right or left handed in this matter, or maybe two-handed. Smear the massage oil slowly over your cock firmly form a fist and gently stroke. If you reverse your hand so that your thumb is at the bottom then you can twist your fist as you reach the head. WOW.

I think you get the idea I'll leave the rest up to you. Let me know what it was like. I want to hear every disgusting detail.

I learnt that little trick about twisting when you reach the head, from a professional. I’ll tell you about that some other time. Right now I’m off to find an all-night greengrocer.

Love and warm wishes, Anthony.”

***

After the reading, Justin entered the room, naked except for a red velvet cock band. He was apparently not carrying any food. Then he faced the partygoers, leaned forward and bent down till his hands reached the ground, he grabbed hold of his own ankles and was completely folded in half. This meant his butt was facing up and displayed from his butt crack a fan shaped arrangement of wooden skewers each with a stuffed and deep fried zucchini flower on each. The crowd applauded and went forward to help themselves to the fine food. They wondered how he had managed to keep the skewers held between his cheeks. He had used kebab sticks with flat ends that he was able to hold in his tight butt.

***

After the break Max introduced John who had nothing to read but told his story from memory.

“I was in my early 30’s and had never been with a man before, as I had been married for over ten years and had two children. It had been a struggle for the last five years as it was only after such a long period that I realised there was something else in life that I needed. I placed an ad in Campaign magazine and received a few replies but was particularly interested in the reply from Michael. He said he was from NZ, a nurse and just loved to share his body with others. That was the line that got me “Share his body”. We made arrangements to meet at his flat in Bondi about a week later. I was so besotted with the idea of sharing a man’s body I did not think I could wait. I phoned him each day for a chat and fell in love with his voice. One day at work, most of the office went to a training course and I was left to hold the fort. I spent half the day running from one phone to another and taking messages for the other absent staff members. I decided to take a break and called Michael. The sound of his voice was soft and mellow, as I had awakened him from sleep. It seems he was on night shift and was trying to sleep during the day. He was not angry but seemed genuinely pleased to talk to me. I visualised him still naked in bed talking to me and could not wait any longer to be with him. He agreed that I could go over to him. I abandoned my post at work and went out in the middle of the day to meet a man for the first time and probably have sex with a man for the first time.

Fortunately I had a job that required me to travel throughout the state to public hospitals and sometimes stay away for a day or two in country towns. For the next few months I continued to see Michael and stay at his flat by adding a day to each of my country trips. It was also about that time that the wife and I decided to move from the city to a country town. We purchased a small retail business in the town and to ensure it would work we came to an arrangement that my wife would run the shop weekdays. I would keep my job in the city and go to the family on weekends. I moved in with Michael, as a flat-mate, as far as the family was concerned. So, for six months I lead a double life. Gay, Monday to Thursday and family man weekends. Michael knew all this and was prepared to accept the arrangement.

But, the relationship could not continue. I still had family commitments and became exhausted trying to lead a double life. I resigned from my city job, reluctantly left Michael and buried myself in small town country life for eight years. It was another ten years or so before I again sort the comfort of a man. A life interrupted. A life delayed.

Yes, Michael was my first and it is true, you do always fondly remember yours first time.

Thank you for listening”

Max returned to the stage and announced “Now after a short break so you can refill your glasses we will invite all our readers and story tellers back on stage for a short Q &A session. So please keep your questions short and respectful.

Justin returned to the room dressed in his gold posing pouch and sought out Jeremy and Brett. “Hey guys, are you enjoying the night?”

“It’s been really great. These guys have some great stories to tell.” answered Jeremy “And tell your partner his food has been superb.”

“I thank you on his behalf, he’s busy in the kitchen now.”

“I look forward to seeing him again and I might add that you certainly add some spice to his food, Justin.”

“Thank you again. Come with me, all my friends are over here.”

Most of the group were gathered around the stage talking to Max, when Justin found them. “Guys have you all met my intimate personal groomers. Is that the right title Jeremy?”

“Close enough.”

Justin ran through the introductions again, including their relationship to each other. When Edward offered his hand to shake, Brett took the hand gently, kissed it and curtsied to Edward.

“Who the fuck do you think I am, The Queen?” asked Edward.

“Well, if the crown fits, wear it dearie. You’re in her age group.”

“Where did you find this trash Justin?”

Justin didn’t answer, but turned towards the others and noticed they had all taken a step away. He joined them as they all stood silently, waiting for Edward to continue. Tristan reached out to Jeremy and pulled him into the safety of the group.

“Young man the last time we met, you informed us you had no pubic hair at the time. That was two months ago. If I were to reach into your schoolboy trousers now, what would I find?”

“I haven’t waxed since then.”

“And your pubes might be, say two inches long.”

“That’s about right your Majesty.”

“So, already longer than your dick.”

“Do you want to check for yourself?”

“No, I don’t want to be accused of child molestation.”

“And I don’t want you to have a heart attack when you feel how big it really is.”

“Oh is it really. Are you sure you didn’t snip it off a client when you were fossicking around their privates?”

“No, it’s all mine, home grown, organic, fresh and occasionally free range.”

“Oh my god!’ exclaimed Romel “It’s like watching twins born a generation apart.”

“Or mother and son” added Craig, who was standing at the back of the group, until then unnoticed.

Q&A

The first questioner asked “I would like to direct my question to the oldest member on the stage. Can you tell me how and where you used to meet men when you were young?”

Sam volunteered to answer the question “Well there were a number of ways. Sometimes we used what you now call Gaydar, but this was dangerous in my day as a mistaken identity could lead to a bashing or even legal trouble. Most of us used what we called beats. There were various locations around Sydney that became known as places to meet men of the same persuasion. They were sometimes parks, public toilets or beaches after dark, especially if they were isolated. One of the parks I used often was next to Centennial Park and is still know as ‘Queens Park’. That is the official name but very appropriate isn’t it”.

Another questioner asked “So did you assume that everybody at these beats was gay?”

“Not necessarily, police were sometimes there and used entrapment as a method of catching sodomites, as we were called. You had to be very careful who you approached. My preference was to allow the other man to approach me, as police were less likely to use that method.”

Q&A

The next question asked was “I have heard that there was colour coding of handkerchiefs that were used as identification. Can you explain that please?”

Paul volunteered to answer “Well I can’t remember the actual colours now, but basically you had the handkerchief or small scarf tucked into your back pocket with some of it hanging out and depending on the colour, you were indicating your preference as to being a top or bottom or willing to suck or willing to be sucked and so on. I don’t know how the code was set but it was passed around our secret society”

Q&A

“Paul, I am curious about the zucchini story. Do you know if your friend actually ever tried the zucchini method and what about yourself?”

“Oh, I should have known someone would ask this question. Now, you might find my answer disappointing but the answer is no, I have not tried it myself. As for my friend I don’t know, as he never mentioned it again, so I guess either he could not find an all-night grocer or he did and found it disappointing. I just read the letter for you as I found it a bit amusing and thought you might also. I am not a spokesman for the promotion of zucchinis as a sex aid. It would be interesting to ask our audience here tonight”.

Nobody replied Yes, but many side to side head movements in the audience indicated No.

Q&A

“Phillip, did what you described in you prayer actually happen to you. We all know about the abuses of children by priests but in your prayer it seems that you actually enjoyed it”

“Well, yes it did happen to me and I was very confused and had mixed feelings about it. On one hand my brain told me it was wrong but on the other hand my heart told me I was enjoying it. I don’t mean to condone such behaviour. A minor is still a minor regardless of their orientation and it’s still abuse. But for me it left me conflicted.”

Q&A

“Sam, you called your story My Fantasy, so was it a fantasy or did it really happen?”

“Yes, it really happened. Every word is true except the title”.

“Can you tell us what happened to the relationship?”

“We first met towards the end of the Ramadan fasting period and he was a bit naughty about not fasting and about having a sexual relationship with me at that time. We only saw each other a few times as I think he found it difficult to continue the relationship because of his beliefs and got frightened. I also think he was using the opportunity and the freedom of being in Australia to experiment in safety. I don’t know what happened to him after our short relationship.”

Q&A

“John, you say you were married with children before you realised you were gay. Can you explain that a bit more?”

“Thank you for the question, it’s not the first time I’ve been asked that but I do accept that men who have always known they were gay find it hard to understand my situation. When I was a teenager I had no concept of what gay or homosexual meant. I knew it had something to do with two men having sex but, probably because of my upbringing, thought it was just an aberration that only happened in toilets. I had no concept or relationships, nor did I actually feel I wanted to have sex with anybody, man or woman. I did however enjoy looking at boys in Speedos and good looking men with muscles. But I did not connect this with sexual activity. I guess I was what they called a late bloomer. I had no recognisable desire for physical contact. At one point I even rationalised by enjoyment of looking at handsome men as envy, because I never had a good looking body but always wanted to look better. I was never approached by a man. My first sex was with a woman, who made it easy for me and so I went along with it. She was also the only woman with whom I ever had sex. While trying to date women, I found it difficult because I had no real interest in the process. I was just dating because I knew that was what you were supposed to do”.

“If I may beg your indulgence a little longer I would like to read you a short poem I wrote especially for this evening. I was too nervous to read it earlier, but I feel a bit more relaxed now with such friendly people so I would like to share it with you. I hope it helps some of you understand. It’s called Two Lives”.

John reached into his pocket and withdrew a small card from which he read -

TWO LIVES

How did it come to this?

Where did I come from?

How did I get here?

 

I started like anyone else,

Dumped into a cold world,

One day in February.

 

Twenty years passed by,

All seemed normal,

And so it continued.

 

Without saying anything,

They told me what to do,

But I had no desire to do so.

 

Who was she?

This woman who wanted my body,

No one had before.

 

It all seemed so easy,

Not like before,

Flattered.

 

The book told me where to put it,

But she knew anyway,

Someone had been there before.

 

Two became three,

How did this happen?

Well, you know how it happens.

 

Get a job, get a car,

Get a girlfriend, get her pregnant.

Job done.

 

Without saying anything.

They told me what to do.

Swept away.

 

What next?

House, mortgage, bigger car,

Another fruit of the loins.

 

Bugger!

Did not want this,

But too late now.

 

Responsibility,

Duty,

Guilt.

 

Another twenty years passed by,

I have survived

Now I know what I want.

 

Who is this man?

Who wants my body?

And I want his also.

 

Life number two,

They did not tell me what to do,

This time I know it.

Q&A

Max returned to the stage after the last question. “I would like to ask one question, if I may. Firstly, thank you Dennis for the facts and information about gay Sydney. I know you know a lot more than that, so if any of our guests here tonight want to find out more where can they do so?”

“I am very glad you asked Max, because I do have a book published.”

Laughter from the crowd, followed by, “I thought you might.” replied Max.

“If anyone would like to approach me later, I can give you details.”

“Thank you everyone for participating in tonight’s event. I hope our audience enjoyed the stories that were told and a big thank you to all our speakers for sharing your thoughts and experiences with us all. It can’t have been easy for some of you to share such intimacies and secrets. We appreciate your bravery and honesty and thank you all.”

Applause all round.

“Now by way of thanks, our head waiter for this evening has a little gift for each of our participants. Please welcome to the stage Justin”.

Justin went up on stage, naked except for a gold cock ring and presented to each of the participants a chocolate replica of his penis, wrapped in gold foil. As he presented the gifts he autographed the card attached as proof of authenticity. Max held up one of the chocolate dicks and explained to the crowd. The participants were shocked, but delighted, and the crowd burst into uncontrollable laughter. Responding to calls of “Show us the original.” Justin turned to the crowd and stood side on with a full erection. The compare then announced “If you like what you see and want more, then replicas are on sale at the bar.” As everybody left the stage Max said “Thank you everyone, goodnight to all and have a safe and Happy Mardi Gras.”

After the event many of the guests came up to thank Craig and Justin and congratulate. That included Max and Charles, who said they had a special request. They invited the boys to have drinks at their home in a few days. Craig and Justin were happy to accept their invitation not just because they seemed a friendly couple but the stories told at the event had whetted their appetite for more.

As Justin and Craig’s friends wandered around looking for each other to say goodnight, they found Edward and Brett sitting in a corner. As Romel, closely followed by Jeremy, cautiously approached they appeared to toast each other.

“What are you two up to?” asked Romel

“Just two new friends wishing each other well. Why do you ask?” replied Edward.

Next chapter - Raj’s decision - Buck’s night surprise - Juanito gets an offer he can’t refuse.
Copyright © 2021 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Such emotional and thought provoking stories. We still have some work to do but those who came before us went through so much in order for us to have the rights we have today. As far as the catering went...Justin’s talents can’t be understated. 🥵 Does he do birthday parties?

  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

Wow @Wombat Bill! The incorporation of your beautiful poem Two Lives, which I only read for the first time earlier this month, gave the poem and this chapter even more meaning (I was sobbing reading the poem this time as opposed to merely weeping). @NimirRaj expressed it beautifully, such emotional and thought provoking stories included in this chapter, conveyed with such authenticity. 

I knew some of the history regarding the '78 march, but not all. The publishing of the names of those arrested, utterly appalling. The brutality of the police, utterly appalling. 

The comic banter between Edward and his "protege" Brett, hilarious, especially Craig's addition of "or mother and son". Was this perhaps a reference to the wonderful ABC TV series of the same name, or merely an apt coincidence? I can easily envision Edward with a physique not unlike that of Ms Cracknell, dressed in costume as Lady Bracknell from The Importance Of Being Earnest. 

My favourite line from this chapter "Have a close look while you’re down there. It’s some of my best work.” Brett's wit is comparing favourably to that of Edward. He is not there yet, but with some "tutoring" from Edward he will continue to improve.

Justin's food presentation, especially the zucchini flowers, highly imaginative yet again. Zucchini is one of my favourite vegetables; having it served by Justin in such a manner would only increase its appeal. It gives rimming a whole new meaning. I must contact him and ask him if he can pop over for a visit.

@Wombat Bill a beautifully crafted chapter with a wonderful balance of humour and pathos. The reference to Campaign brought back memories. I responded to a number of personal ads over the years, but only recall one with any degree of certainty (and a great deal of hilarity). I responded to his ad; he informed me in a subsequent telephone discussion that he was vegetarian (which was my preference), with a few discreet tattoos and some prior relationships with women. I met him at a well known beach at Watson's Bay. He had neglected to tell me he was a vegetarian who ate meat, he was currently in a relationship with a woman, and had a "sleeve" of tattoos on both arms, both legs and some on his torso (long before footballers and online porn stars appropriated this look). Suffice to say, we were not well matched.   

I also noted the reference to the long-forgotten stalwart, Gowings. I remember it well when my office was based in Centrepoint. It was an institution. It certainly would not have fared well in today's market of cheap, imported rubbish from China polluting and monopolising the marketplace.

I also noted in the previous chapter you referred to the GLBTIQ community (you naughty radical you). I cheered (privately of course) your audacity. In this chapter you have reverted to the "acceptable PC" LGBTIQ community. You are a rabble rouser. Well done.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

The struggle for rights continues.  It is good to hear what has gone on before; and at least in the US, there is still more to do.

Good Chapter, @Wombat Bill.  Mostly very self-explanatory.  I hope we learn about the get-together with Max and Charles at some time in the future.

The teaser for the next chapter is most intriguing!

Sounds like Brett and Edward have some traits in common!  It dies sound like Romel and Jeremy should use caution when Edward and Brett are in the same room.  Wombat Bill, you are good at balancing humor and info and serious stuff together in the same chapter.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

 @NimirRaj - Does he do birthday parties? There is an Australian rock band (perhaps before your time) whose name will answer your question.
Weddings Parties Anything 

 @Summerabbacat - Was this perhaps a reference to the wonderful ABC TV series of the same name, or merely an apt coincidence?  Would I miss a chance to reference one of my all time fave TV shows?

My favourite line from this chapter "Have a close look while you’re down there. It’s some of my best work. Mine too

I also noted in the previous chapter you referred to the GLBTIQ community (you naughty radical you). I cheered (privately of course) your audacity. In this chapter you have reverted to the "acceptable PC" LGBTIQ community. You are a rabble rouser. Well done. - The history in this chapter was compiled from research and the two forms were used in different references.

@ReaderPaul  - I hope we learn about the get-together with Max and Charles at some time in the future. That meeting was originally part of this story and was lifted to include in the short story “Max and Charles”  https://gayauthors.org/story/wombat-bill/max-and-charles/ It might seem a bit repetitive to some, but now you have raised it, I will put it back for today’s chapter.

Sounds like Brett and Edward have some traits in common. - I only realised that when writing this chapter and it seemed like a good idea to have the ‘meeting of minds’ (or tongues) scene.

@chris191070  - Some great and thought provoking stories - Nice try, but you have some way to go to compete with Thomas for short sentences.

Thank you all for your beautiful comments about the inclusions in ‘Cocktales’. I enjoyed researching and tried to include the facts in such a way as not to sound like a history lecture.

When I was working at the Australian Museum Sydney in 1994, I was privileged to be invited to join the project team curating the exhibition “Prejudice and Pride” a history of Mardi Gras. We expanded our original brief to include more than Mardi Gras and it became a study of gay and lesbian rights in Australia. One of the proudest and happiest times of my working life.  Some of the research collected for this project, I saved and used for these two chapters.

There are only 3 more chapters in this story. Yes, @Summerabbacat all will be revealed about Jared's heritage. 

I may then take a short break to catch up on writing, as I only have 6 chapters of "An Appetite for More" ready to go. I had intended to be further ahead with this story but have been distracted by adding to "Second Course". 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Wombat Bill said:

When I was working at the Australian Museum Sydney in 1994, I was privileged to be invited to join the project team curating the exhibition “Prejudice and Pride” a history of Mardi Gras. We expanded our original brief to include more than Mardi Gras and it became a study of gay and lesbian rights in Australia. One of the proudest and happiest times of my working life.  Some of the research collected for this project, I saved and used for these two chapters.

There are only 3 more chapters in this story. Yes, @Summerabbacat all will be revealed about Jared's heritage. 

 

@Wombat Bill this explains why the stories told by the members of MAG rang true. I had wondered if you had participated in the '78  march, or had known one or more who did. Your research has served your readers well as you presented the historical information as if you had experienced it personally at the time it occurred, rather than retrospectively as an "onlooker". 

The second "quote" above would suggest you think me impatient. I am flummoxed (what a great word) as to how you have drawn such a conclusion @Wombat Bill. I am going to "stick my neck out" and hereby state I still think my belief that Justin and Jared are half-brothers will prove true. The only part of my original prediction that I may change is that perhaps Brendan may not have even known he had sired offspring. His "girlfriend" may have even been an older woman, perhaps even married, who saw no future in a relationship with Brendan, and did not want, or have the capacity, to raise a child on her own.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..