Open Club  ·  73 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Circumnavigation (99+40) Sweet Sorrow

Sweet Sorrow is up! (it might take up to a minute after this post to appear).

Please let me know what you think be it good, bad, or mixed. Also, there's a lot in this chapter that hints at what's to come.

Also please note; the google map linked at the chapter top is interactive, so you can zoom it around to look at various spots or different areas. if you like,

I think this chapter answers many questions. Some things going on have only been hinted at in prior chapters, now we see them explained.

CJ Posted Image

Well at least we got some of Gray's plans and what he's been up to. the rest is hints hints hints not a cliff hanger, NO! No we did not just get building tension! Dam your good at that!

Were not on the edge of our seats waiting at all. pfftt!

I think I will learn more by walking out to the coast of NZ with my binoculars and hoping I see them :-) Yes thats me in my 420 splashing about!

Thanks Cheers. Right ignoring you will go sailing instead

• Like 1

Hints needs to be in block capitals I think. This chapter is riddled with cliffhangers hints about what's next. I'm wishing my life away here, as well as a suitably nasty and painful end for Bridget.

Now can't wait for next Tuesday...

Sometimes the hints were subtle... mixed into a relaxing scene like the sounds of the night mixing into a gentle evening. Posted Image

BTW, if not for Bridget, both boats would have been blasted to bits leaving Cairns. Posted Image

Well at least we got some of Gray's plans and what he's been up to. the rest is hints hints hints not a cliff hanger, NO! No we did not just get building tension! Dam your good at that!

Were not on the edge of our seats waiting at all. pfftt!

I think I will learn more by walking out to the coast of NZ with my binoculars and hoping I see them :-) Yes thats me in my 420 splashing about!

Thanks Cheers. Right ignoring you will go sailing instead

You're right; absolutely positively no cliffhangers. Posted Image Even Wildone agrees;

This one chapter is not a cliffhanger, I declare,

Sailing is so relaxing, isn't it? That's why I ended the chapter with the two boats at sea. What could be more relaxing than that? Posted Image

• Like 1

I am loving the speed that is developing here. Things are coming to a head quickly now and I can't wait for the next chapter.

I am glad that Shane's aunt did make the decision to treat Trevor as Shane's partner.

Thanks for such a great story. I am excited!!!

• Like 1

The pace of the story is definitely picking up. Trevor and Shane have a long, arduous voyage ahead, assuming they get underway without being pushed off a cliff.

Thanks for another great chapter, goat.

• Like 1

CJ: Well done. I agree with the other posts that the pace is definitely stepping up. The cinematic close of the chapter is wonderful: a glorious picture of the two crafts racing on a broad reach and the music forecasting the dangers ahead.

Now to change the subject: How can you possibly praise Bridget for not ordering the demise of both boats while they we still close to shore? As you wrote, "BTW, if not for Bridget, both boats would have been blasted to bits leaving Cairns." Delaying an execution is not the same as saving them!!!! Bridget is pure evil.

Thanks for posting a chapter this Tuesday. Nicely done.

Just another great example of the subtle cliff hangers. I dont care what anyone else thinks. I mean Bonzer and Bluey doing a little hair color change and taking a cruise? And changing the pole mounted radar? All that means one more time trying to pull the old switch-a-roo and now the cliff hanger is, which boat actually got the explosive and which one got the tracker, as they sail off in to the wild blue yonder. I'm betting that Atlantis has the explosive and since CJ went to such great lenght to point out that the trigger was "line of site" and if the tracking speed boat is following the wrong one, by the time they reach deep water, Atlantis will be out of site range and Gray may be in for a surprise (I hope). But that means we still have to worry about someone getting close enough at some point before they get to Panamah to do the deed.

Now we are coming to the final stages so if there really is a circumnavigation, all the action has to happen quickly. Especially if it is going to be finished before the big vacation (I glare jealously). I cant say enough how much over the last couple of years that i have enjoyed reading this story. I think it may be the longest one I have ever had the pleasure of reading and am going to be so disappointed when it is finally over. I hope CJ has another epic novel in the wings to take its place on my normal Tues conf call. Thanks again for sharing.

• Like 1

I think sdaddy got it right in his observations and said them before I got around to it. So CJ, I hope you have thought up a suitably incredibly shocking and horribly painful slow demise for the Sea Witch. I also hope you manage to provide a few problems for Gray and company as well as the cartel. Just wishing & hoping! Posted Image

I haven't read the new chapter yet........BUT: I sense from the replies above, that The Mountain Goat has done it again! So, I'm having an internal debate whether to read it and be terribly anxious for the next week, or if I should just wait, until the story is finished! Decisions, decisions! (he cried, tearing at the sparse hair on his head while banging his head against the wall.....)

Evil and abusive Goat!

Edited by Leo C

which boat actually got the explosive and which one got the tracker, as they sail off in to the wild blue yonder. I'm betting that Atlantis has the explosive and since CJ went to such great lenght to point out that the trigger was "line of site" and if the tracking speed boat is following the wrong one, by the time they reach deep water, Atlantis will be out of site range and Gray may be in for a surprise

You might be right but the line of sight trigger in the powerboat is just a backup to the satellite phone link isn't it? If it transpires that that trigger doesn't work, then they just need to call Grey and he can activate the other trigger.

It doesn't seem likely that they'd put the explosive on the wrong boat - they were moored up for several days so the bad guys really ought to have been able to figure out which was which. And anyway, the boat with the explosives must be the same as the one with the trigger so either way a boat ends up as matchwood. And we lose either our heroes or their family.

I want the story to end with all the good guys alive and with Trevor and Shane running a successful two-country chartering business, which requires them still to have two boats.

CJ's pulled us out of trickier situations (Indian Ocean, anyone?) but I don't see a way out of this at all. Hope I'm wrong.

Just wondering if anyone has seen CJ lately? The is a video of a goat that has been stuck on a cliffside ledge for 5 days...apparently when rescuers approached he pulled a baffling move. Unfortunately Yahoo servers were having a problem so couldn't show the video. I wonder what that goat did?

:-)

Haven't read this chapter yet but I will when I get home tonight. I just had to ask about the whereabouts of CJ...

I maybe wrong as DIY is not my strongest point but doesn't epoxy resin have to be applied on dry surface as the salt water would change the consistency; and to be effective heat would aslo needed to be applied. Plus wouldn't there have been a certain amount of noise fixing the bomb to the hull especially as you said they were up and changing the mast at 3am

And the ending, what can i say. there was no cliffhanger there. now i want more today i don't think i can last another week

Great chapter

• Site Administrator

Thanks for the chapter CJ Posted Image

I too was wondering about how exactly you would affix a bomb to what i assume is fiberglass while in the water. Also that brought up the tracking device that Gray had installed on Atlantis in Melbourne. Since the customs service had the hull of the boat checked out by one of their divers wouldn't he have found something that could power up every two hours and send a text message via satellite phone link? Unless :o , the diver to check the boat was the same diver Gray hired to install the tracking device. After all CJ did mention that Gray had someone feed false information to the Customs Service that was employed by both the Service and Gray :(

Sometimes the hints were subtle... mixed into a relaxing scene like the sounds of the night mixing into a gentle evening. Posted Image

I think you may have given a tell tale here...I don't know how relaxing the night sounds would be with crickets AND chirping toads! It seems to be whenever we have either Toads or Frogs mentioned it is a sign of impending doom and gloom for Trevor :( Maybe Mike can give us an idea of what is to come.

The one thing that I did notice about Bridget is that she seems to know that the asset list and keys were found, but still doesn't know about the gold (which I'm not sure she even knows about) and the tape have been found. Trevor and Shane for once have kept their mouths shut about them. The thing is the Goat loves irony. I'm sure he is basking in the fact that the one time the 'kids' do keep a secret, it could be the death of Rachel, Martin, Ted and Shelly and their son. Not to mention Bluey and Bonzer. Isn't it ironic, don't you think?

The last thought that came to mind was the fact that if Gray does have Kookabura/Ares blown up before Trevor and Shane reach NZ, that they definitely will not be leaving there without an inch by inch search of Atlantis for the ANYTHING that does not belong there. It is just sad that Trevor and Shane may have to lose a lot of people they are close to, to save themselves :(

Now I'm depressed, thanks Goat :/

nothing like an exhausting read before bed!!

so amny questions!

great read can only come from great writing! congrats

Thanks!

This chapter answered a lot of questions though. One of them was about the locks; we now know the cause of their sticking, and thus that Trevor's plan to treat them with graphite will work. So, the locks will be fine. :)

I am loving the speed that is developing here. Things are coming to a head quickly now and I can't wait for the next chapter.

I am glad that Shane's aunt did make the decision to treat Trevor as Shane's partner.

Thanks for such a great story. I am excited!!!

Thanks!

Cairns gave Shane a lot of closure. He needed that. :)

The pace of the story is definitely picking up. Trevor and Shane have a long, arduous voyage ahead, assuming they get underway without being pushed off a cliff.

Thanks for another great chapter, goat.

Cliff? You know there aren't any cliffs, or cliffhangers, in Circumnavigation!

Nice! I sense trouble brewing - and that fast!

It's just a hundred pounds or so of high explosive. Nothing to worry about. :)

CJ: Well done. I agree with the other posts that the pace is definitely stepping up. The cinematic close of the chapter is wonderful: a glorious picture of the two crafts racing on a broad reach and the music forecasting the dangers ahead.

Now to change the subject: How can you possibly praise Bridget for not ordering the demise of both boats while they we still close to shore? As you wrote, "BTW, if not for Bridget, both boats would have been blasted to bits leaving Cairns." Delaying an execution is not the same as saving them!!!! Bridget is pure evil.

Thanks for posting a chapter this Tuesday. Nicely done.

True, she's evil, but in this case, she saved them all. For now anyway. The story could have ended with a bang as they left Cairns. :)

Just another great example of the subtle cliff hangers. I dont care what anyone else thinks. I mean Bonzer and Bluey doing a little hair color change and taking a cruise? And changing the pole mounted radar? All that means one more time trying to pull the old switch-a-roo and now the cliff hanger is, which boat actually got the explosive and which one got the tracker, as they sail off in to the wild blue yonder. I'm betting that Atlantis has the explosive and since CJ went to such great lenght to point out that the trigger was "line of site" and if the tracking speed boat is following the wrong one, by the time they reach deep water, Atlantis will be out of site range and Gray may be in for a surprise (I hope). But that means we still have to worry about someone getting close enough at some point before they get to Panamah to do the deed.

Now we are coming to the final stages so if there really is a circumnavigation, all the action has to happen quickly. Especially if it is going to be finished before the big vacation (I glare jealously). I cant say enough how much over the last couple of years that i have enjoyed reading this story. I think it may be the longest one I have ever had the pleasure of reading and am going to be so disappointed when it is finally over. I hope CJ has another epic novel in the wings to take its place on my normal Tues conf call. Thanks again for sharing.

As we all know, I'd never use a cliffhanger. ../..//public/style_emoticons/default/innocent.gif

Atlantis is on her way home now. Unless she turns back. :)

The tracking device is absolutely on Atlantis. It was planted in Brisbane. As for the bombs... did they goof and put them on the wrong one? We find out in the next chapter. :)

I think sdaddy got it right in his observations and said them before I got around to it. So CJ, I hope you have thought up a suitably incredibly shocking and horribly painful slow demise for the Sea Witch. I also hope you manage to provide a few problems for Gray and company as well as the cartel. Just wishing & hoping! Posted Image

It's all up to Bridget. :)

I haven't read the new chapter yet........BUT: I sense from the replies above, that The Mountain Goat has done it again! So, I'm having an internal debate whether to read it and be terribly anxious for the next week, or if I should just wait, until the story is finished! Decisions, decisions! (he cried, tearing at the sparse hair on his head while banging his head against the wall.....)

Evil and abusive Goat!

Mountain goat? Well... I do live on a mountain, 7000 feet above sea level. But, the notion that a goat, even a mountain goat, would have anything to do with a cliff is just malicious rumor and slander, backed by faked evidence.

BTW, this chapter can be read without worries; it has a nice, relaxing ending. :)

You might be right but the line of sight trigger in the powerboat is just a backup to the satellite phone link isn't it? If it transpires that that trigger doesn't work, then they just need to call Grey and he can activate the other trigger.

It doesn't seem likely that they'd put the explosive on the wrong boat - they were moored up for several days so the bad guys really ought to have been able to figure out which was which. And anyway, the boat with the explosives must be the same as the one with the trigger so either way a boat ends up as matchwood. And we lose either our heroes or their family.

I want the story to end with all the good guys alive and with Trevor and Shane running a successful two-country chartering business, which requires them still to have two boats.

CJ's pulled us out of trickier situations (Indian Ocean, anyone?) but I don't see a way out of this at all. Hope I'm wrong.

But... It's not up to me. I've got no say in what happens. This is all Bridget's fault, so what happens next is up to Bridget, Gray, Trevor, and Shane.

Just wondering if anyone has seen CJ lately? The is a video of a goat that has been stuck on a cliffside ledge for 5 days...apparently when rescuers approached he pulled a baffling move. Unfortunately Yahoo servers were having a problem so couldn't show the video. I wonder what that goat did?

Haven't read this chapter yet but I will when I get home tonight. I just had to ask about the whereabouts of CJ...

Absolutely nowhere near a cliff. :P

I maybe wrong as DIY is not my strongest point but doesn't epoxy resin have to be applied on dry surface as the salt water would change the consistency; and to be effective heat would aslo needed to be applied. Plus wouldn't there have been a certain amount of noise fixing the bomb to the hull especially as you said they were up and changing the mast at 3am

And the ending, what can i say. there was no cliffhanger there. now i want more today i don't think i can last another week

Great chapter

Great point on the epoxy. I should have made that clearer.

Epoxy is catalytic; it's formed by a thermochemical reaction when the two components are combined. Some forms work just fine in water. Here's one example;

It's a putty; you knead it to mix it, and it sets in 15 miniutes. It's for marine use, works fine underwater. So, apply some putty to the flexboard, press it against the hull underwater, hold for a few miniutes, and it's done. It's be fully set by the time they sailed.

And thank you for seeing that there was no cliffy!! ../..//public/style_emoticons/default/worshippy.gif

Thanks for the chapter CJ Posted Image

I too was wondering about how exactly you would affix a bomb to what i assume is fiberglass while in the water. Also that brought up the tracking device that Gray had installed on Atlantis in Melbourne. Since the customs service had the hull of the boat checked out by one of their divers wouldn't he have found something that could power up every two hours and send a text message via satellite phone link? Unless Posted Image , the diver to check the boat was the same diver Gray hired to install the tracking device. After all CJ did mention that Gray had someone feed false information to the Customs Service that was employed by both the Service and Gray Posted Image

I think you may have given a tell tale here...I don't know how relaxing the night sounds would be with crickets AND chirping toads! It seems to be whenever we have either Toads or Frogs mentioned it is a sign of impending doom and gloom for Trevor Posted Image Maybe Mike can give us an idea of what is to come.

The one thing that I did notice about Bridget is that she seems to know that the asset list and keys were found, but still doesn't know about the gold (which I'm not sure she even knows about) and the tape have been found. Trevor and Shane for once have kept their mouths shut about them. The thing is the Goat loves irony. I'm sure he is basking in the fact that the one time the 'kids' do keep a secret, it could be the death of Rachel, Martin, Ted and Shelly and their son. Not to mention Bluey and Bonzer. Isn't it ironic, don't you think?

The last thought that came to mind was the fact that if Gray does have Kookabura/Ares blown up before Trevor and Shane reach NZ, that they definitely will not be leaving there without an inch by inch search of Atlantis for the ANYTHING that does not belong there. It is just sad that Trevor and Shane may have to lose a lot of people they are close to, to save themselves Posted Image

Now I'm depressed, thanks Goat Posted Image

You are quite right; several times in this story, trouble has been indicated by frogs. Perhaps a certain Tennessee Cliffhanger Chirping Frog is responsible?

Shane was silent for a long time, looking out at Trinity Inlet’s inky waters, listening to the sounds of the night: distant crickets and buzzing tree frogs, the soft, gentle lapping of bubbling water against the hulls, the faint murmur of the breeze rustling nearby palm fronds.

Hrmm, that's the relevant quote. But what comes after the frogs? The soft, gentle lapping of bubbling waters. What could be more relaxing than that?

Irony? Me? ../..//public/style_emoticons/default/innocent.gif

Posted Image ................... I see a 'sticky wicket' moment as the Brits are fond of saying. Will Trevor realize they are being followed? will he order a turn from the boats and the assassin follow his boat instead of the Kookaburra. That 30-06 can do some major damage to a boat, clearly this is a certified cliffhanger as the Kookaburra is in danger of being imploded. The careful eye, the reporter has shot photos of both boats and will reveal the the switch. Grey has fucked up the mission, will Bridget be pleased with him? Her main target is now away, and I would guess Fowler knows something could be on the boat. Realizing the new danger, Fowler will tell the boys to leave the area and provide an escort. I now muse the idea of traversing the panama canal, or would Trevor decide to take the southern route around south America? Then again could a helicopter light the Aries/Atlantis aboard a US naval ship? Posted Image

Another great chapter though now I will have to go to research the depths of the ocean floor off of Australia's coast to get a handle on just when the explosives might be set off. I can't wait for the goat to let another week pass being so close to a cliff.

Speaking of cliffs - Just wondering if anyone has seen CJ lately? There was on Yahoo, a link to a video of a goat that has been stuck on a cliffside ledge for 5 days...apparently when rescuers approached he pulled a baffling move. Unfortunately Yahoo servers were having a problem so couldn't show the video. I wonder what that goat did?

• Site Administrator

Well luckily, the goat is safe which means no worries about Circumnavigation coming to an abrupt halt.

I tend to believe that this is in fact CJ. Afterall, he was quite comfortable up on a cliff for 5 days and soon as someone got close to him, he bolted off. 0:)

You can read all about it and watch CJ make a huge leap here.

Great fun reading this as the story's end (Hopefully not the end of Trevor or Shane, etc.) rapidly approaches.

Love when someone in an earlier review called the things I don't see any more HINTS. lol

Maybe there are some cliffs under the water....Posted Image

I can't believe how close we are to the end! I realised today its been around a year since I've been looking forward to each tuesday/wednesday to read another chapter Posted Image , imagine every chapter from here will be an absolute cliff free rollercoaster ride im sure! Posted Image (a small small part of me still wants bridget to live, I just can't see how unless the other heads turn on her she'd end up being killed.)

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..